Report: Raiders talking with Holmgren about job

Long-time Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren is the latest candidate to surface in the Raiders search for an established football person to assume a leadership role.

ESPN cited two unnamed sources as saying the two sides have spoken about the prospect of Holmgren joining the Raiders in some capacity.

Zak Gilbert, the Raiders director of media relations, issued the following statement: “As a general policy, the Raiders don’t comment on personnel matters, so the team isn’t able to confirm or deny the report. If the organization has more to say in the future, I will let you know.”

Holmgren most recently was with the Cleveland Browns as their team president until he stepped down late last season. He and current Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie worked together when they were with the Packers.
In recent months, the Raiders reportedly interviewed Ray Anderson, the league’s senior vice president of football operations.

Steve Corkran

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

DJ Johnny Says:
    A knee jerk conspirator?
    =====================================================

Glad there’s none of those around here!
    Speaking of Miss Tick, I thought he might enjoy this.

Actually, I thought he might have written it ’till I discovered it was reasonably well thought out.

• DJ Johnny

I know there’s alot of Geno excitement going on around here but it doesn’t make sense to be talking with Palmer about restructuring if the plan is to snag Geno.

Nowadays, if u draft a QB overall # 3 you gotta start him right away. Unless, they need Palmer as insurance in case KC or Jax get to Geno first?

Just speculating here.

• Just Fire Baby

************************

Sure it does, a better contract makes him more tradeable.

We should sell him on whatever we have to get him to take a paycut in “good faith”, then rip that old “good faith” rug right out from under him by shipping his azz to Cleveland or Jacksonville.

• FutureRaiderScout

#123 & #116 — I Think Dion Jordan would be a nice addition if he is still available in the 3rd or 4th

Tavon Autin is DEFINITELY a football player. Thats the ONLY WR i would be okay with us drafting in the first round simply because of his explosiveness and playmaking ability. I would like to see us get something of value in return for one of our other receivers (a 5th round pick) if we did decide to trade down and take him.

And Tyrann Methieu is gotdamn Football Player too! I would love to see us stockpile picks and draft in all of our positions of need.

CB – Tryann Methieu ++
    WR – Tavon Austin
    DE – Dion Jordan, Ansah,
    DT –
    RT – Eric Fisher (converted)
    RG -
    LG -

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Sure it does, a better contract makes him more tradeable.

——————–
    I guess gamblers think everybody is a sucker?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Mathieu isnt 170 .. he weighed in at 186 and said he will be an extra 10 by training camp.. so near 195 ish would be good. He weighs as much as the camp all star

Sterling moore and moore didnt have half the talent as an UDFA at 5ft 9. big deal

gregg rosenthal‏@greggrosenthal

On a positive note: No DB catches the ball more naturally than Mathieu

Retweeted by Tyrann Mathieu

I get tired of our DB’s dropping all the INTS like Branch

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

NFL‏@nfl

Deion Sanders: ‘Tyrann Mathieu will be a baller in the NFL. Immediately.’ http://on.nfl.com/Mathieu #NFLCombine

someone gonna take a chance on this guy.. y cant we have a playmaker?? I loved ASO but he was never a playmaker just locked down the half the field which was good.

C-WOOD was our last Playmaker i believe.. anyone agree?

Tyrann Mathieu‏@Mathieu_Era Twiter

Games are won on the field not the weight room… #Playmaker

Love that quote from Mathiue. Wise man. Sometimes Al had a hard time with this kinda thing.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Tyrann Mathieu‏@Mathieu_Era Twiter

Games are won on the field not the weight room… #Playmaker

hard to argue with that being a heisman finalist at 19 yrs old and playing in the SEC whe he was 170

• FutureRaiderScout

Seymour Bush Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 5:15 pm
    McKenzie, Holmgren, Allen, Saunders, Sparano, Tarver….this is the making for a good football organization.

———————————————————

I cant wait to see how well they execute during this years draft. Last year we snagged a starting LB in the 4th round.

• Just Fire Baby

On a positive note: No DB catches the ball more naturally than Mathieu

***************************

Hence, the move to WR like I have been saying.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

FutureRaiderScout Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

========================================

And two more potential starters (Streater and Nix) as UDFAs.

• Just Fire Baby

Jack and Landry have been and are still the key to the Warriors.

When they go 5 for 20 like today, we have no chance to win, even with Steph blowing up.

• jackasspuria

Tyrann Mathieu has been compared to Antoine Winfield.

Not a bad comparison, if you ask me.

Winfield was a beast at Ohio State, then the Buffalo Bills, and now, the Minnesota Vikings. 5-foot-9, 190 and hits like a linebacker.

If Mathieu is that with the hands to boot, a team will take a flier on the Honey Badger.

• Gdog

DJ Johnny Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I don’t know if it means anything or not but when NFLN asked Geno which teams he interviewed with the first team he mentioned was “Raiders”.

A knee jerk conspirator might read into it by noting it’s the first team that came to his mind…the human brain files things in order of importance. I just made that up but it sounds like it could be correct.

He’s got Raiduh’s on his mind.

Honestly I don’t know if it’s a good thing or bad but I would mix up a batch of Geno koolaid if we did it.

>>>>

I would too, but only if we do a fire sale along with it… get rid of every single veteran contract on the team… trade every person worth even a 7th rounder. Don’t resign a single free agent. Make sure we are 0-16 next year. Blow the entire franchise up and start over from scratch. Its the only thing that even makes a LICK of sense.

If CP AND/OR Pryor can’t carry this franchise to the next level, we might as well blow it up!

Don’t just dabble around the edges doing it… the teams that do so become Detroit.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

POST-156,IF THEY COULD CATH,THEY WOULD BE PLAYING WIDE RECIEVER..(:

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:
    Sure it does, a better contract makes him more tradeable.
    ====================================================

So, you’ve gone from Palmer may be worth the trade to probably not worth the trade but a damn good QB to an ok QB to what a rip off to let’s fck the sorry piece of sch1t over, in 1 1/2 years, one of which by universal(except for you)opinion was OC’ed by the most clueless game planner and play caller in recent memory.

• jackasspuria

I have said it before….

If Reggie McKenzie and Co. want a Raiders re-boot, then Carson Palmer has to go.

Start Pryor or draft pick/free agent pickup at QB and move on, for better or worse.

Look, there’s not much on the roster now in terms of helping Palmer succeed right away.

Let him go, give Pryor the starting gig and see where it goes.

If Pryor flops, so be it. At least then, we all know what he is about.

• Just Fire Baby

Interesting that the Boston Globe is reporting that New England is said to not be really interested in re-signing Vollmer.

Rather let him walk and give the starting RT gig to Marcus Cannon.

• FutureRaiderScout

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:18 pm
    NFL‏@nfl

C-WOOD was our last Playmaker i believe.. anyone agree?

Tyrann Mathieu‏@Mathieu_Era Twiter

Games are won on the field not the weight room… #Playmaker

——————————————————

Hearing Prime Time Suggest that Mathieu wont be around past the 2nd Round made me a little uneasy though. We dont have a 2nd rounder this year. Im sure we can get one though.

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

Yes, it is a roller-coaster at times, the JFB experience.

• Priesttj12

If there is’t enough writing on the wall for Reggie yet he must be in a coma. It is blantantly obvious Mark Davis was very unhappy with the job he did.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Which player at 3 could be immediate starter
    =======================================

Loutelelei, Moore, Werner, Joekel, Fisher, Jarvis Jones,

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

************************

Sure it does, a better contract makes him more tradeable.

>>>

So you STILL think CP is crazy enough to restructure/take a pay cut, so we can TRADE him?

How would THAT benefit him? It would eliminate all his bargaining power!!

You need to stop huffing glue now son!

One of two things will happen. We cut CP and he becomes a free agent… or he restructures which ensures he is our starter for two more years.

Thats the list.

Anything other than this is crazy talk… you just don’t know football!

• Just Fire Baby

It is blantantly obvious Mark Davis was very unhappy with the job he did.

****************************

I take the Holmgren and Anderson rumors as people to replace Mark’s role from last year.

Mark was Reggie’s boss last year, these new guys will replace that role from Mark.

More free time to chase tail in LA.

• jackasspuria

The only sign I’ll take Mark Davis is/was unhappy with Reggie McKenzie is the day Davis fires McKenzie.

Many people here say McKenzie is clueless. To me, Davis is even more brain dead.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

jackasspuria Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Tyrann Mathieu has been compared to Antoine Winfield.

Not a bad comparison, if you ask me.

===========================================

mathieu ain’t 190 tho. He is about 165. Maybe 170. That’s fine in college. Not pro tho.

• Priesttj12

Mark is showing he has zero confidence in Reggie’s moves and hires and if this doesn’t show him nothing will. I’ve been saying since day 1 Reggie needs a boss. And Mark is going out of his way to ensure he gets one. The mistakes Reggie made from firing Hue to hiring DA to bad roster moves have put him on notice.

Get it right or get out…………period

• jackasspuria

The way Mark truly shows he has zero confidence in McKenzie?

Fires him.

Why keep Reggie around if Mark is so unhappy?

Oh, yeah, I’m assuming Mark has a brain…

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

The thought of Holmgren as our head coach is making me firm lol.

I won’t get my hopes up though.

This is what happens to me when there is no new blog entries for a week, When there is new info I get a little too excited.

Fire Tits!

• ian85

Vollmer would be a nice pick up for us def a upgrade over Khalif barnes

• morilla

Everyone I hear talk about HB is that he is a situational player. The Raiders don’t need situational players.

• jackasspuria

Seymour Bush

That’s what I hear. People thought DVD was skinny, Honey Badger is pretty light himself.

• Priesttj12

McKenzie is definitely clueless and if you can’t see that so are you.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    C-WOOD was our last Playmaker i believe.. anyone agree?
    =======================================================

Almost said Terry Mcdaniel. Hah! Glad I googled him first. Damn,I’m getting old. Seems like yesterday.

• ian85

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    The thought of Holmgren as our head coach is making me firm lol.

I won’t get my hopes up though.

Fire Tits!
    ——————–
    Agree

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Priesttj12 Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

==========================================

I don’t think anyone would be happy with 4-12. And just imagine how many fans are not renewing their season tickets right now. That would make any owner pretty pissed.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

ian85 Says:
    Vollmer would be a nice pick up for us def a upgrade over Khalif barnes
    =====================================================

What? We got rid of Willie Smith?

• jackasspuria

Priesttj12

And Mark Davis is even more brain-dead if he’s keeping McKenzie on staff.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

ian85 Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    The thought of Holmgren as our head coach is making me firm lol.

I won’t get my hopes up though.

Fire Tits!
    ——————–
    Agree
    =====================================

Why does anyone think it is fine to fire the coaching staff each year? Why do you think that?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

jackasspuria Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Seymour Bush

=========================================

Mathieu makes DVD seem like Tommie Kelly.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Priest keeps saying that Pryor is a pocket passer and doesn’t need his feet and I think he might become that.
    Put him out there right now with a one legged Brisiel at RG and Willie Smith at RT and watch him run.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Seymour Bush Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:39 pm
    ian85 Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    The thought of Holmgren as our head coach is making me firm lol.

I won’t get my hopes up though.

Fire Tits!
    ——————–
    Agree
    =====================================

————————–
    I love the idea of continuity, I really do.
    But… Not just for the sake of being consistent. Do you want to consistently suck?
    Dennis Allen IS NOT THE ANSWER AS OUR HEAD COACH.
    I would rather have seen the Cable guy or Hue stick around if you want to talk continuity.
    When we get a real head coach I would love to have him here for a decade. Still waiting though.

• Priesttj12

That is trhe very reason Mark is doing this. He knows this draft is critical I think he has requested from the league to allow his staff to coahc the senior bowl and handle the combine duties in order to better read the talent available. I think he saw Reggie bring in players and them not pan out and draft players who didn’t show up. Also to doghouse players that could’ve helped not to mention trade cut and release players they needed.

Reggie has in short been a hot mess and it was extremely frustrating to watch to the point I started HATING this team because pof the lack of vision and direction. Also the preconceaved notions they approached the players with. They wasted a lot of talent last year. Inexcusable.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Updating an earlier item, ESPN’s Adam Schefter confirms the Raiders are talking to former Browns football “czar” Mike Holmgren about a “prominent” leadership role in the organization.
    Oh boy. Both sides declined comment, but didn’t offer denials. Holmgren is reportedly on holiday in Europe. Schefter’s colleague Bill Williamson reported one of Holmgren’s duties would be assisting in the Raiders’ quest for new stadium, but “prominent leadership role” suggests he could have a hand in personnel, as well. Considering Holmgren’s success — or lack thereof — in Cleveland and Seattle’s front offices, that’s not a good thing for a team that’s still reeling from the final few years of the late Al Davis’ rule. ———————————————————————-
    I will give Holmgren a pass in Cleveland and take him in a heartbeat, proven winner.

• DJ Johnny

153,

Awesome. Then tie him up to a tree and take turns urinating on him.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:39 pm
    ian85 Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    The thought of Holmgren as our head coach is making me firm lol.

I won’t get my hopes up though.

Fire Tits!
    ——————–
    Agree
    =====================================

————————–
    I love the idea of continuity, I really do.
    Dennis Allen IS NOT THE ANSWER AS OUR HEAD COACH.
    ========================================

I can understand your frustration. Allen will be a very good coach for the Raiders. No doubt about that.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Seymour Bush Says:
    ======================================================

Because they’re not making me happy and I wanna be happy RIGHT NOW and I don’t want anybody that’s not top 5 or probowl or future hall of fame playing for or coaching on the team I adopted 6 years ago ‘cuz their colors were cool and kinda gangsta.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

While I can’t say I disagree the point is no one worth a rats ass was going to come here. I know you say that David Shaw was going to come here to this cesspool but it wasn’t going to happen. We got the best guys available, and we will clearly see next year if they can make any progress. They may not be able to, given the dire situation here.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Because they’re not making me happy and I wanna be happy RIGHT NOW
    ================================================

hahahaha! good one.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

=========================================

You just described Hunter S. Thompson, Raideraholic, and about half this board.