Report: Raiders talking with Holmgren about job

Long-time Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren is the latest candidate to surface in the Raiders search for an established football person to assume a leadership role.

ESPN cited two unnamed sources as saying the two sides have spoken about the prospect of Holmgren joining the Raiders in some capacity.

Zak Gilbert, the Raiders director of media relations, issued the following statement: “As a general policy, the Raiders don’t comment on personnel matters, so the team isn’t able to confirm or deny the report. If the organization has more to say in the future, I will let you know.”

Holmgren most recently was with the Cleveland Browns as their team president until he stepped down late last season. He and current Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie worked together when they were with the Packers.
In recent months, the Raiders reportedly interviewed Ray Anderson, the league’s senior vice president of football operations.

Steve Corkran

• Just Fire Baby

Mark is adding a layer of middle management to the organization.

He still stays at the top, but Reggie now has a boss that isn’t him.

Really, it is the way most NFL teams operate. Reggie had it good last year, having nobody above him personnel wise except a doofus owner.

Mark realized this, and is fixing it.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Priesttj12 Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:45 pm
    That is trhe very reason Mark is doing this. He knows this draft is critical I think he has requested from the league to allow his staff to coahc the senior bowl and handle the combine duties in order to better read the talent available. I think he saw Reggie bring in players and them not pan out and draft players who didn’t show up. Also to doghouse players that could’ve helped not to mention trade cut and release players they needed.

Reggie has in short been a hot mess and it was extremely frustrating to watch to the point I started HATING this team because pof the lack of vision and direction. Also the preconceaved notions they approached the players with. They wasted a lot of talent last year. Inexcusable.
    ———————
    You can’t “request” to coach the senior bowl.
    Matter of fact the teams that were supposed to coach the senior bowl weren’t able to because of having a coaching staff that was in flux. I.E K.C, Jax

essentialy the Raiders were allowed to coach the senior bowl by default as being the next worst team.

• Just Fire Baby

Almost said Terry Mcdaniel. Hah! Glad I googled him first.

***************************

Did you google image him?

Give that one a whurl.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Mark is adding a layer of middle management to the organization.

He still stays at the top, but Reggie now has a boss that isn’t him.

Mark realized this, and is fixing it.
    ============================================

Yup. We had a rookie owner, rookie GM, rookie HC rookie DC. If Holmgren signs on, we have a vet to run some of the ops.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:52 pm

You can’t “request” to coach the senior bowl.

============================================

This is true.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

GRUDEN-HOLMGREN-??

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

I can understand your frustration. Allen will be a very good coach for the Raiders. No doubt about that.
    ———————-
    Just curious why you are so confident of that.
    What do you see in Allen that I am obviously missing.

• Kirk

Nothing here about Desmond Bryant’s arrest?

When I saw the story, I prayed, “Please don’t be a Raider….oh damn!”

And Bryant went to Harvard?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:55 pm
    GRUDEN-HOLMGREN-??

=====================================

Enough with the Gruden talk. He’s not coming back.

• Kirk
  • jesusraiderjim

Kirk Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    Nothing here about Desmond Bryant’s arrest?

When I saw the story, I prayed, “Please don’t be a Raider….oh damn!”

And Bryant went to Harvard?

——————————————

Anyone who has been hammered knows: When its time to get your grub on its time to get your grub on! What’s the big deal? LMAO

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

———————-
    Just curious why you are so confident of that.
    What do you see in Allen that I am obviously missing.
    ========================================

Two things: he has a command of the field, and he knows what it is going to take to win. What do I mean by that? Well, unlike Jackson who couldn’t get plays called, couldn’t call a coin flip or didn’t go for a two point conversion up by 12, you didn’t see those idiotic simple mistakes last year. The second he got into it with McClain, I knew we had the right guy.

Now, if Al Davis was still here, it would have been, “get ova it” and McClain would be back on the field. That was what Jackson did after McClains arrest. He put him right back out there against Miami, and we got rolled 34-14. Allen has identified the problems. It just might take awhile to remedy them.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Oakland defensive tackle Desmond Bryant was arrested Sunday morning on a misdemeanor charge of criminal mischief after allegedly causing a commotion at a neighbor’s house while inebriated.
    ========================================

Does he look inebriated to you guys?

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Because they’re not making me happy and I wanna be happy RIGHT NOW and I don’t want anybody that’s not top 5 or probowl or future hall of fame playing for or coaching on the team I adopted 6 years ago ‘cuz their colors were cool and kinda gangsta.

=========================================

You just described Hunter S. Thompson, Raideraholic, and about half this board.

————————–
    I truly appreciate the sarcasm.

But… Just so you know I have bled silver and black since the 80′s and did have not have the benefit of appreciating there superbowl victories as I was too young.

It has been a long time since I have seen the Raiders amomg the elite.

Although they do have “cool” colors I am a fan that has researched every drop of there rich history and have a deep appreciation for Mr. Al Davis as a person and what he stood for.

Also, I am not a short sighted person at all. I just do not see a clear path with this organization at this time, so forgive me for wanting to see something that gives reason for optimism. I stopped drinking the kool aid last year my friend. Win lose or tie silver and black till I die.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:
    IHOP is where old people go to eat lunch.
    ========================================================

I’m cool for breakfast?

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

*not

• Just Fire Baby

LOL at the pussification of the NBA.

Calling Lee and Hibbert’s little pushing match a game “marred by a brawl” on ESPN.

Dr. J and Larry Bird once threw down haymakers on each other in a playoff game, and they just told them to go to the locker room for halftime, and they both started the 3rd quarter, lol.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

jesusraiderjim Says:
    =====================================================

And who the he11 moved my house?

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    LOL at the pussification of the NBA.

———————
    Something tells me the NFL isn’t to far away from that.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:11 pm

LOL at the pussification of the NBA.
    =========================================

The league does miss Wilt, Russell, Moses Malone and Bill Lambeer.

• edward teach

212.Seymour Bush Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:02 pm
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

———————-
    Just curious why you are so confident of that.
    What do you see in Allen that I am obviously missing.
    ========================================

********************************************************

When Reggie and DA get this thing sorted and the Raiders are winning again it will be interesting to see who changes their tune and supports them. Both of those guys have great reputations in the league and their peers speak very highly of them. The players do as well.

The lack of understanding regarding what the two of them are doing right now is astonishing to me. They are righting a ship that has been floundering for over a decade, and people have their panties in a bunch because they’re “sick of losing” and it doesn’t fit with their timeline on when it should happen. Never mind that those people haven’t a clue about how to run an NFL franchise in the modern era, and that the guy that sat in the chair before them (rest in peace) wasn’t all the great at it, either.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    LOL at the pussification of the NBA.

———————
    Something tells me the NFL isn’t to far away from that.
    ===========================================

I think it is the modern American male. Gets his nails done. Coifs his dome. Bitshes about everything. Just look at this blog. Young females wear the pants in this country. Young males whine and cry.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Where on this football team where you most need a starter next year?

Oline.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:
    Did you google image him?
    Give that one a whurl.
    ======================================================

Thanks. I really fck’n needed that!

• edward teach

223.KoolKell Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    Where on this football team where you most need a starter next year?

Oline.

********************************************************

Respectfully disagree. We absolutely have to have someone that can put pressure on the pocket. Not an easy hole to fill. Power scheme is a lot less of a coordinated dance than zone blocking, and I think our o-line will perform better and struggle a lot less next year with that approach.

• Kirk

Desmond needs a timeout.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

KoolKell Says:
    Where on this football team where you most need a starter next year?

Oline.
    ====================================================

Damn. Now and then, KK, we’re on the same page!
    Trade down and get Warmack in the 1st and Barrett whatsisname in the 2nd, I’d be doing back flips. Use all the rest on “D”.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Do you think Moore or Werner could come into the NFL right away and handle LT’s? I don’t.

********************************************************

——————————–
    As a Raider fan I will gladly say I was wrong about Dennis Allen.

I understand what the Raiders (Reg) are doing, they are cleaning out a house that is overdue.

Cool, I get that. I also get that Dennis Allen is a lame duck coach who will be the scape goat.

Dennis Allen plain and simple lacks the “it” factor when it comes to leading men.

He is anything but inspiring.

Prove me wrong Dennis-PLEASE.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Don’t like disagreeing with Teach, but I gotta stick with at least half my scenario. Always liked what Cable said; ‘ZBS, PBS, it’s football. Take care of tour assignment.’

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

edward teach Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

223.KoolKell Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    Where on this football team where you most need a starter next year?

Oline.

********************************************************

==========================================

Yup. Getting a solid pass rusher especially early will not only improve the defensive line players that remain, but will improve the secondary. It is an absolute must.

• Just Fire Baby

KK,

All last year you posted the stats of the sacks of our O-line, and called it the “#5 O-line in the NFL”.

Not doing that this year I take it?

• oakfshow

AAAA HAAAAA.Like I been sayin.GOODBY REGGIE BOTTOM LIP,and good ridence.Mark is just about done with this retard.No more zoneblocking,no more Reggie,no more Denise.MAN IM TIRED OF BEING RIGHT!!!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

Thanks. I really fck’n needed that!

**************************

Old blog trick, I have got at least 4-5 guys on it.

• RaiderReggie

EJ Manuel the quarterback out of Florida State is going to be a steal. If he is there in the 3rd or 4th round, the Raiders should take him. He reminds me of Colin Kapernick.

• jesusraiderjim

Kirk Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    Desmond needs a timeout.

———————————————

Nah, he just needs to keep a couple sandwhiches in his pocket when he goes out on a bender.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Seymour Bush Says:
    =======================================================

Used to be the young bikers scared the old folks. Now the old bikers scare the young ‘uns.

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

No to holmgren! if yes he needs to be below Reggie, hierarchically speaking..

Mark owner
    Reggie Boss
    Holmgren front office stuff.. change the water cooler, buy more post-its and so on..

• edward teach

228.KoolKell Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:24 pm

********************************************************

Doesn’t have to be Moore or Werner, and the player doesn’t have to come off the edge to pressure the pocket. Could be a DT, could be another one of the edge guys, could be Jarvis Jones. The guy could also come from the free agent market.

Let’s face it, we need help at a lot of positions. We had a noticeably weak pass rush last year though, and it HAS to be addressed.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

The organization needs someone like Holmgren just to get some respect in regards to landing a new stadiun imo.

• jackasspuria

A constant and solid pass rush can make any secondary look good.

• oakfshow

Mark owner.Holmgren GM.New head coach, one with credentials.

• Que

Just let reggie do his thing Mark. God dang this team just wont do things the right way. Let these two guys have a complete draft and picks and team. The whole team is still not these guys team. The wr,QB,OL,DL,SS,CB. the whole team and salary cap wasnt reggies or dennis. Let them build there team.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

New report characterizes Asomugha as aloof
    ——————————-
    PFT really digging for topics lol

• oakfshow

243.Que Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

FK THAT!! they suck.

• oakfshow

Holmgrem to Denise Take your bra and leave jerky!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    =======================================================

==========================================

hahahaha! Dude you should have your own show!

• Just Fire Baby

A constant and solid pass rush can make any secondary look good.

*****************************

Didn’t work so well for the 49ers, as it was their achillies heel at times all year and especially in the playoffs.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

jackasspuria Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

A constant and solid pass rush can make any secondary look good.
    =============================================

And ours was sporadic, runny and weak. And then when Seymour went down, completely non existent.

• oakfshow

Watch your cigs around Reggies hair.POOOOOOF.