Raiders live chat Wednesday at noon on Mike Holmgren rumors, off-season moves

By Jon Becker
Wednesday, February 27th, 2013 at 12:35 am in 2013 Offseason, Oakland Raiders.

Join Steve Corkran for a Raiders live chat on Wednesday at noon PST as he discusses the Mike Holmgren rumors and possible Raiders off-season moves, including free-agent news.

• guest123

The #3 pick is now worth more than a week ago. It will likely be worth more a week from now.

***********

not true. just like the stock market, there are internal and external forces at play that drive up or down the cost of any asset. key for the Raiders is to have at least 2 teams who want the #3 pick badly enough. if everyone is apathetic about moving up, the offers will be less and less inspired. the value of the #3 pick overall could change day to day just like the market.

• Fart In An Elevator

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 11:33 am
    [snippage1. Not any one can claim it because not everyone experienced 430 plus years of slavery, then jim crow.[snip]

However the 500 years we have suffered here is unique and stands alone.

[snip]
    4. lastly and as politely as i can i will tell you that your opinion on the validity of the mental conditions our esteemed medical experts have documented and treated, really mean nothing to me and should not be counted. we will and must solve our own condition, no one else ever has nor will they in the future.
    =================================================

Mistic1, thank you for the courtesy of a reply. I appreciate your politeness too.

I do not yet have an opinion on these conditions. I don’t know anything about them. I just encountered the terms for the first time in your original posting. As I was typing my reply, it did occur to me that Native Americans, Jews, etc. might be diagnosed this way. I also was aware of the condition of PTSD that you mentioned in your reply. My questions were a sincere intellectual reaction based on some critical thinking skills I’ve tried to develop over time. Since you’re familiar with the developers of the diagnoses (obviously I’m not), perhaps you’d indulge me by educating me on something that isn’t making sense to me.

How does the experience of slavery transfer over the last century to descendants who were/are not slaves? I’m stuck on how their (the last century of slave descendants) experience and the other environmental (social, economic, etc.) factors you mention combine into an additive or multiplicative relationship. To be accurately diagnosed with the trans-generational affliction, would not each and every afflicted person have to have experienced the exact same condition of slavery (e.g., capture in Africa, sale to slavers, transport by ship, work a as a slave in the Americas) or something very, very closely approximating that? Please educate me here.

• HayesDaze37

Who said we’re not going the FA route for Linemen?

If the price — and the Player — is right, the Raiders will sign who they want.

• Charlie

Guest. No he is not serious and no one will buy it anyway which is why I do not think we can trade down.

Our line problems are known by everyone in the league.

QB is actually a position of strength on the Raiders.

Thec

It is why we may try to go with Shaugnessy one more year. He is not an impact player but he can play some snaps and is at least young enough to be able to practice during the week (again-see Seymour).
    Same with Kelly. Too much dead cap money in this last contract year and we do not have enough picks to replace him THIS YEAR.

I do believe Dline will be a big focus in the 2014 draft with first and second round picks on DE and DT.
    Kelly will be gone and most likely Shaugnessy in 2014.

• Thec

Guest123 Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 11:56 am
    Barkely’s rising up the draft boards, and that’s not a good thing for Reggie trying to drive up perception that he’s interested in Geno. We need a clear separation in QB tiers to make Geno more valuable. I hope it’s just a shell game Reggie is running talking about Geno. He can’t be seriously interested. Can he?

+++++++++=

As a USC fan, i saw this one live, up close, and in person.

any NFL scout with eyes can see, this kid is a mirage.

• guest123

But…if JFord can’t stay healthy this year (and productive), then he should be let go without thinking twice.

*********

if we did a physical and it said that JFord was inherently weak or a high risk for injury, then yes dump him. but no one knows if it’s just freak bad luck. as long as we aren’t paying him much, we should take a chance on him again. again, what’s the downside?

• Thec

HayesDaze37 Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    I never said I want JFord gone. I want success for the Raiders, and for him.

++++++++++=

This comment was not pointed at you Brethren, more to my not so believing Brothers JFB, and RR.

• Fart In An Elevator

There’d be a great last name for an OL-man…Trenchman! :-)

• Thec

HayesDaze37 Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    Who said we’re not going the FA route for Linemen?

If the price — and the Player — is right, the Raiders will sign who they want.

+++++++++++=

This is conventional wisdom, and prudent.

• Fart In An Elevator

Or, if we can develop a great OL based on Veld, Wiz and some new guys, call the Oakland OL “The Trenchmen” like one might refer to some guys as someone’s henchmen.

• Charlie

Hayes

Needs to be an upgrade.

About all we can afford is another Tollefson. That does not do much. Brisiel at 29 showed injury issues.(See my 3020 post on FA).

Too many years of neglect on the line of scrimmage to fix in this draft.

We need to infuse both lines with young talent in the first second and possibly 3rd rounds.

It is not an accident that is how we got our best lineman in Veld, Houston and Wiz.
    High round picks.

• guest123

As a USC fan, i saw this one live, up close, and in person.

any NFL scout with eyes can see, this kid is a mirage.

**********

Maybe so. But the scouts are really buying his interviews. Someone is going to reach for him in the top 10 I think, and the perception you could go for Geno and have a fallback of Barkely may lead some teams to settle in for a trade around pick 6 or so.

• Thec

+++++++++++=

Even with my built in bias, I would agree 100%.

If he cannot get it right, and stay healthy, run him.

• R8ER MIKE

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    Just doing a little Geneaolgy. trying to figure out where my White Devil ancestors come from lol

***********************
    lol lol good thing i am a redneck mutt.. dont have to worry about stuff like this !!!

• HayesDaze37

Schilens did pretty much what I expected to see in NYJ last year. Very non-impactful…on a Team with a horrible QB.

I am not glad Schilens didn’t work-out here…but I’m glad he’s not on the Raiders now.

I want the JFord experiment to work. He’s as electric as anyone in the League. If DMC and JFord both play to their healthy potential, the Raiders will be explosive Offensively.

Problem is…just what IS JFord’s health? One more hangnail, and DMC will be an utter disappointment of epic proportions. Great athletes can’t excel on the field if they’re never on the field.

• Thec

Fart In An Elevator Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

++++++=

TRENCHMAN = HENCHMEN….NO DOUBT

• guest123

High round picks.

********

let’s not cherry pick either. we also took Mario and Gallery high too.

• guest123

************

so what if JFORD has a hangnail that finishes his career? He’s not a player the Raiders were building around anyways. But a good point is DMAC, now he goes down and the whole team suffers. I wish that Reggie would field offers for him, but he seems determined to make DMAC a Raider for life. Too much risk there and too much invested. But then again, he’s not as trivial a player as JFORD. He’s pretty much the franchise.

• Thec

uest123 Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    High round picks.

********

let’s not cherry pick either. we also took Mario and Gallery high too.

++++++++=

So based on that, its 60% to the good of the NATION.
    With all the media accounts that this is a bountiful TRENCHMAN draft for 2013, this bodes well for us to find even higher quality.

• Fart In An Elevator

R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

***********************
    —————————————–
    Redneckcognitionology?!

• Thec

I have overstayed my welcome…ALL you guys have a great day, and week.

I have heard of other “sports nations” however, their is no proof that they exist.

• guest123

No doubt, I want a trenchman too. Either on the offensive side or defensive side. (with the #3 pick)

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Fart In An Elevator Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

=================

everything from chemical dependance, a breakdown of courtship ritual , parenting, and how to function within a community all are formed in a reactionary state, and unfit.

These traumas have been internalized by the victims to the point of becoming the norm. for example why do so many black people call them selves the n word?

a result of our slave experience, and the slaves that were born here knew themselves as only ni**as.

They in turn called our youth this name and we have kept it alive to this day. yet no one born today is a slave, outside of the men and women in prison.

also these truamas are stimulated by the constant and continued acts of terrorism experienced by black people. Oscar grant and trayvone martin are good examples of this.

Chris dorner would be the extreme result of the system I have pointed out, as mental illness varies by degree.

However a person that tattoos there face (tyson lil wayne), or abuses drugs, or wears his pants below the waste should also consider seeking help.

As they may be undiagnosed, but all the while suffering form mental illness

• HayesDaze37

“as long as we aren’t paying him much, we should take a chance on him again. again, what’s the downside?”

—————————–

Take off the tunnel-vision blinders. JFord’s contract might not be a killer monetarily-speaking, but a Player takes up a roster spot. Those spots are like lottery winnings to the Players, but they’re even more valuable to the Team.

For every oft-injured Player we carry, at any salary, we limit our ability to field a healthier Team. At some point…and every situation is unique…the choice needs to be made: is it worth it to keep this guy around? The answer is more than base-salary-based.

• guest123

be well Thec.

• R8ER MIKE

lol ..damn straight, you better redneckognize !!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

back when there is news

• Thec

+++++++++++

Put them in the category of Santa Claus, The easter bunny, lochness monster , and bigfoot….

1 NATION

• HayesDaze37

Later, Thec.

Mistic — Why not stick to football/sports? If you’re going to spew your hate and biases, why not also point-out that the Black man was trading in slavery (of his fellow man) long before he ever saw the White man. Tell the truth, if you’re going to talk slavery and its origins.

Everybody’s got a story…and every family’s got a story. You acting like you speak for any one group, especially in an academic and even manner, is nothing but a racist farce.

Back to football!

• R8ER MIKE

1 NATION

*******************************
    ??know why the easter bunny hides eggs ??
    doesnt want anybody to know hes been doing chickens !!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Thec Says:

+++++++++++

1 NATION
    ===================================================

That’s how I opened my post/query on the Packers site this morning;

“Greetings from Raider Nation.”

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

HayesDaze37 Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

==========

hayezed and confused i see

I have pointed out how mental illness is affecting my community, and how it manifest itself in athletes including our own raiders.

How is that “spewing hate or bias”?

How is that ‘racist’?

No the transatlantic slave and willie lynch slave system has nothing in common with the so called black on black slavery.

Black people from waring tribal groups would capture one another and the losing group would be assigned a class of labor. farmers, wet nurse, or general manual labor post.

They wer not forced to give up kinship, language, courtship, or abandon families. they were not barred from education or raped and murdered.

they were not packed like sardines in the bottom of ships unable to move while being sodomized and so on.

they wer not forced to give up their own natural food diet or made to accept an inferior nutrient deficit chemical laden diet of others.

They were not dehumanized.

major difference there

trying to equate the two is false, and just a simple bit of research exposes th notion as nothing more than a fall back for those that want to spread the blame for their own guilt

• NGRaiderfan

3081.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:48 pm
    Thec Says:

+++++++++++

1 NATION
    ===================================================

That’s how I opened my post/query on the Packers site this morning;

“Greetings from Raider Nation.”

=======

seems like the raiders were getting some love from packers fans…nice.

***

Thec,

you talking about JFORD’s “skills” here?

then I agree, they dont exist. make believe

• RaidingTexas

You can forget those Palmer passing to Bowe dreams now. Bowe re-signed 5 years with KC.

• Fart In An Elevator

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

[snip]
    Mistic1, thank you again for your kind reply. I have a few questions in response if you’d please consider them….
    ———————————
    M1>no they would not need to face the exact same condition yet learned behaviors and coping mechanisms are taught to the next generation and are thereby inherited.

F>Isn’t this backwards? (Not trying to nitpick.) If they are learned behaviors and mechanisms, can they not be unlearned or reframed?
    —————————————
    SNIP

M1>…. ni**as.

They in turn called our youth this name and we have kept it alive to this day.

F>I’m a little lost here. If the affliction is hereditary and thereby unintentional, why intentionally keep an affliction like this “alive”? Please clue me in.
    ————————————-
    [snip]

M1>However a person that [snip] wears his pants below the waste should also consider seeking help.

As they [those people wearing their pants below the waist] may be undiagnosed, but all the while suffering form mental illness.

F> Mystic1, I;m more than a tad confused here. How would the Black psychologists you’re referring to differentiate in the diagnosis between a fashion style (or fad) and a mental disorder? And I ask this concerning Black therapists diagnosing Black clients (and not diagnosing non-Black clients who wear their pants the same way).
    ========================================

Thanks.

• hwnrdr

So much for getting Bowe. Just signed a 5 year deal with KC! Dashon Goldson also is looking for $8 million a year…

Dashon Goldson also is looking for $8 million a year…

***

why wouldn’t he?

scrubs like Huff & Branch are making $10/$11 million this year (puke)

• guest123

***********

thanks for the update. never wanted Bowe anyway.

You can forget those Palmer passing to Bowe dreams now.

***

Texas,

that dream ended when KC traded for Alex Smith!

shipping Palmer off to Kansas Pity would have been ideal imo

no chance he stays in the division and we pummel him now

• guest123

The bigger news is the Chiefs ended up tagging Branden
    Albert. So now Jeokel is out of play?

• DJ Johnny

…meanwhile, the Oakland Raiders announce today……………………………….

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 10:35 am
    Oh another thing that should be pointed out as to why pryor becoming the leader is so impressive.

pryor is not waiting for permission to step into this role. Like any natural leader he is naturally stepping in because he can sense the void.

You have to ask yourself, why would players like ford moore and dhb far more veteran players follow pryor a largely untested player with very little field time under his belt?

how has he been able to get one of the nmost highly paid players (DHB) to show up and follow/

How has he convinced them to back him up with only a half week of starter practice reps and one start to his credit?

They must see and know what some of his here know,

Pryor is an outstanding player and natural leader and they believe they can win with him.

If they did not they wouldnt give him the time of day.

————————-

Truth

• rediaR

Pfft, pants are supposed to be below your waist. That’s where your legs are.

The bigger news is the Chiefs ended up tagging Branden
    Albert. So now Jeokel is out of play?

***

Yes, unless Eric Winston gets cut.

Could they take Warmack #1 overall?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Huff has been making more then Ed Reed and Troy Polomanu for a while

• Fart In An Elevator

After the last group of questions to Mistic1, I won’t ask any more of him today. You’re welcome.

• rediaR

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    The bigger news is the Chiefs ended up tagging Branden
    Albert. So now Jeokel is out of play?

***

Yes, unless Eric Winston gets cut.

Could they take Warmack #1 overall?
    ——————-
    Probably go defense or trade out.

• Fart In An Elevator

P-man, I have two important questions for ya, do you remember who brought up the phrase “fart in an elevator” in this blog recently? Don’t look it up. Just if you happen to remember…

• inonewordraider