Brisiel’s contract restructured

The Raiders are approximately $1.5 million under the salary cap as of now. They got there, in large part, because right guard Mike Brisiel agreed to a restructured contract.
Brisiel’s base salary for 2013 dropped from $4.35 million to $1.35 million as part of the new deal. Brisiel signed with the Raiders last offseason.
He is slated to earn $3.85 million in base salary in 2014, ’15 and ’16. There’s still work to do for general manager Reggie McKenzie between now and the start of free agency, which begins Mar. 12.
However, getting Brisiel on board with a cap-friendly deal for 2013 is a nice start. Now McKenzie can go after other sizable contracts such as those of quarterback Carson Palmer, wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly in an attempt to free up more cap room.

Steve Corkran

• RaiderLen

KoolKell Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    I have the Pryor game on DVR, and the Color guy announcing the game was very impressed with him. Go figure.
    ——————————-
    I watched the game and I was impressed.

All in context, but I liked what I saw, and understood on the throws that some will say he lacked arm, it was a case of him trying to be to fine or perfect.

He was playing very cautious because he didn’t want to fuuuk up.

He has WAY more to offer then what we saw in SD.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderLen Says:
    I don’t understand why someone making their 1st regular season start is supposed to be perfect.
    =====================================================

He absolutely isn’t. I was encouraged. My quarrel is with the revisionists here that cite that game as evidence that Pryor should start over Palmer.

• RaiderLen

And if being down 24-7 in the 4th quarter of the last game of the season between two out of contention teams isn’t garbage time, then there is no such thing.
    ————————————————-
    So who’s garbage time is most influential?

The Raiders or the Chargers.

Who is going through the motions more and giving less than 100%?

How do we quantify who wants it less?

And if we could, how does that effect the resulting garbage statistics?

• jesusraiderjim

Marks hair Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    239 exactly… da screwed the pooch not getting TP practice reps all year.. 3 days of split practice and 1 game and all of a sudden he’s competing with CP? What a huge blunder by our staff. TP should have played the final 5 games of the season probably starting 4, maybe all 5 of them..

==================================================

This alone, don’t count hiring Knapp and firing our ST coach, is the reason I have no faith in DA. It was stupid, stupid, stupid!

• RaiderLen

————————————–
    Agree.

TP has work to do.

Gotta be able to make the throws from the pocket.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaiderLen Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    Not really a glowing start to a career.
    ——————————————-
    What would have been a glowing start?

I’m not into garbage time.

Did he make things happen or not.

He extends plays, can tuck it an run for 60, and was not very aggressive as he was feeling his way through the process.

=========================================

You don’t expect him to be perfect, but he has to be able to do a couple of things. Extending plays is not first on the list. I can go out there, run around, extend the play but get nothing. I can go out there and not complete passes. I can go out there and basically get my ass handed to me. Nothing special there.

• JLofty

I don’t care about the stats Pryor had against the Chargirls. I watched that game and thought he did some good things. Thought he had plenty to work on.
    Would more practice reps, game time have helped? Of course.
    Is he ready to be league MVP today? Not likely. But he has 5-6 more months to hone his craft before the games count.
    Bottom line we got to get rid of the out of whack contracts. Palmer has one. Big Dick had one. Tommy Kelly has one. Darrius HB has one.

Hopefully Reggie cleans that up and we get a roster of boar hunters….

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

That back shoulder throw in the endzone to DHB was very impressive, so was the bomb to Streater.

• RaiderLen

——————————————–
    Ok Seymore.

You saw nothing that provides you a hint as to His ability to be good.

10-4

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    2 of those three times were in the last three minutes when the season was over and were the direct result of special teams plays not Pryor. Other than that, he was losing 24-7, could not complete 50% of his passes, threw for just over four yards an attempt, went 2-11 in the third quarter and basically did nothing. Not really a glowing start to a career.
    =====================================================

Not entirely accurate. But before you get jumped on by the nit pickers, the reality is no better. Complete play by play here.

==================================================

Thank you for bailing me out. OK, 2 for 9 in the third quarter, not 2 for 11.

• rediaR

Seymour Bush Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    —————————
    I didn’t know you were Matt Leinart. It must be pretty awkward for you on these boards.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaiderLen Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    ——————————————–
    Ok Seymore.

You saw nothing that provides you a hint as to His ability to be good.

10-4
    ============================================

He doesn’t have a bigger fan in here than me. I want him to be special. But I can see why 32 teams passed on him over and over. I like his fire. I like his energy. I don’t think he is a viable NFL Q tho. When teams can actually game plan him, they are going to destroy him. And tucking and running, which has ALWAYS been a major portion of his game is not going to be viable at this level.

• JLofty

I’d agree JRJ. DA made some seriously questionable moves last year. I was encouraged by him jettisoning Knapp so quick. Hope much of the rest was first year lack of seasoning…

• RaiderLen

KoolKell Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    ———————————–
    I only watched the game live, so my recollection has dimmed.

Was the Streater throw a hitch and go?

The Hitch and go throw was his best throw imo.

The idea that TP is only capable of throwing lollipops is funny.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RediaR Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:13 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    —————————
    =======================================

haha. good one. Yeah, I have to go get Heisman polish. I will be right back before the Heisman polish store closes.

• RaiderLen

——————————————
    TP has to be able to demonstrate. No doubt.

I liked the fact that when he had time to stand in the pocket, His feet were planted,(no happy feet) and he was looking down field.

THAT is huge.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Yeah, I,guess it was a hitch & go. Dropped in right over the shoulder.

• 1960AutumnWind

Now that RM has finally got around to the restructure/reduce or cut phase, I think this CSN bay area article really sums up the big players in this:

In this article cutting Palmer saves over 9 million. But remember if you cut him you will probably have to spend 3-5 million in cap money or have some bad backended deal to bring in someone like Matt Moore for competition or to actually start. I think a better outcome is for Palmer to take a 4-5 million dollar cut by converting some of his base to ungarunteed money further years out. I hope he goes for this.

Other targets for cut each with savings if they cut:

Bey 5.3 million
    Kelley 4.7 million
    Brisel 2.8 million(looks like they did just as well with the resturcture deal that looks to have a reduction in it. I still not clear why keeping a zbs guard but it looks like what they did does not cost much or reduce cap savings)
    Tollefson 1.6 million
    Goethel 575k (go be emergency snapper somewhere else!)
    Willie Smith 550k zbs Tackle bye-bye

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaiderLen Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    ——————————————
    TP has to be able to demonstrate. No doubt.

THAT is huge.
    ===========================================

Pryor is a BIG kid. Not quite Cam Newton big, but a big kid. I think he is missing his calling as he would be a very very solid WR. And then he could use his speed, size and strength.

• 1960AutumnWind

About the lollypops Pryor threw. You guys need to understand that he was doing this way too much in the SD game. Unless you are Flacco and you have his WRs or are Culpepper and have Moss you can not get away with this garbage. There were a lot of LPs in the SD game. I have seen him at other times not doing this. He needs to work on whatever he was doing that causes that and solve it.

TP is not Tebow in any way. He is faster more elusive and throws better. Both are very hard working high character guys at this point. They are similar in that way.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Other targets for cut each with savings if they cut:

Bey 5.3 million
    Kelley 4.7 million
    ===========================================

You can stop right there. And next year McFadden comes off the books completely which frees up another $5-6mm.

• Pingback: Recapping Todays News... Chiefs, Cowboys, Saints and more... - Over the Cap

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

===========================================

Pryor always throws balloons. That is troubling. That is the result of extremely poor mechanics and foot work. Another issue is he is waaaaaay to prone to just tuck and run. While I agree that both Teblows and Pryor are hard working guys, which is really good, I don’t know if I can call Pryor a high character. He did a nice job taking down Ohio State and cost them a run at a national championship this past year for his own benefit. Not really a high character thing to do.

• 1960AutumnWind

Seymour Bush

Largely agree with your takes and he definitely was throwing a blooper ball in the SD game, however in College and High school I have seen him throw some darts and low arc bombs as well. I think he just forgets his footwork sometimes and then tries to force something on the run or when scrambling that he just can’t do. He needs to slow down and plant and not get over excited trying for a quick release is my opinion.

Coming out of high school his rep was the best spread QB prospect ever like Cam or better this was a guy that can run and throw.

The stuff with OSU is in the past I am talking about his conduct over the last 18 months not when at OSU.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Pryor is a BIG kid. Not quite Cam Newton big, but a big kid.

Frustrating Cam Newton was one of the highlights of the year.

• Al_is_theraiders

cant believe some fools actually like briesel…the guy svcked like mcxcuse20 on a friday night.

• edward teach

I’d love to see Sean Smith in Silver and Black. Big, physical corner and I wanted us to draft him when he came out of Utah a few years ago.

I did read somewhere (I think) that he wants a lot of money, so he may be out of our price range.

I’d also be down with Glen Dorsey. Virtually everything I’ve heard or read about him mentions that he was miscast in the 3-4, but as others have mentioned, he was a beast in the 4-3 at LSU. It’ll be interesting to see how the staff evaluates him to see if he’s worth bringing in.

• 1960AutumnWind

Al the Al Davis Apologist

The jury is out on Briesel. The guy was playing with a hamstring injury all year. I am doubtful he can play PBS but I think the price is right with the resturcture at this point.

• 1960AutumnWind

Seymour Bush Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:36 pm
    Other targets for cut each with savings if they cut:

Bey 5.3 million
    Kelley 4.7 million
    ===========================================

******************************

I also believe quite a bit of dead money comes off next year as well. Next year is not the problem its this year and having enough to sign some decent midlevel and some of our own FAs so we can win more than 4 game next year.

• ArtilleryShell

Getting back to football

Gotta restructure DHB we know his isn’t worth that kind of money, but lets not throw him away yet, he can play for close to,league minimum long as we don’t draft anymore guys that high with poor catching skills. That is the # 1 thing for a WR catch the ball. Damn, Al. Hey, maybe we should move him to corner. He’s physical, but not shifty. But I’m sure he can not catch, I mean pass defense the ball better if he only has to jump up and knock it down.

Tommy Kelly same thing, get his number down so that if we have to cut him, no big cap hit. All contracts need to structured to make guys cuttable and tradeable

• Al_is_theraiders

fvck that…briesel of anybody on that line should have shined last year…and now they want to make him a power guard? buncha bs…reggie has no freakin clue.

• ArtilleryShell

Draft
    I like DT Star Lotuleilei but the medical thing
    Maybe the Floyd guy can be a stud, like Laroi Glover was an undersized DT that could get to the QB, but we don’t need pass rushers cause we never have a lead to protect,

• edward teach

290.rediaR Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    All these mock drafts it’s either Floyd or Geno. I hope we draft neither just to spite them.

********************************************************

I’m not going to say much about Floyd, because quite frankly I only watched the Gators a couple of times this past year and wasn’t watching him at all. From what I read about him though, he sounds a lot like Lamaar Houston, both in body type and in style of play.

I do see some advantage to a player like that, since in my view pressure up the middle when defending the read option will be more important than pressure off the edges (where d-linemen will be in more of a contain mode than they usually are), but the issue for the Raiders there is that the QBs in our division are more or less straight pocket passers (Smith is a little mobile, but he ain’t running the read option).

Unless it’s addressed sufficiently in FA, I would think we’d want to draft someone that plays on the edge that can get after the Mannings and Rivers’ of the world.

• DJ Johnny

Guys are saying you can restructure a guys contract but cannot tear it up and give him a pay cut but isn’t that what they did with Vick?

• 1960AutumnWind

Al the Al Davis Apologist

RM definetly knows what he is doing here. Think about it, with a really favorable contract. Briesell becomes a really good trade target for Reggie if a zbs team has a guard injury in camp or a player does not work out for a different team. Also if Briesell can play PBS we are getting a cheap guard in terms of change in cap hit from what we had before. Frankly I never saw Al pull something like this off.

This is why AD should have let go around 2001 and why the Raiders have almost consistently sucked since FA started in 94 (accept for Gruden/Allen years).

• ian85

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    —————
    Exactly Briesel played like sch!t last year he won’t do any better in a power scheme

• mcfadden20.

whats good guys, about to get new ps3 controller tomorrow, anybody plays madden13 on ps3?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

edward teach Says:
    =======================================================

Free Agent Focus with Insider insight: CB Sean Smith
    By Levi Damien on Mar 3 2013,

• 1960AutumnWind

DJ Johnny

Vick had to agree with that pay cut – he has a contract. It was probably that or be cut outright but then the Eagles would be on the hook for bonus, and other garunteed money.

• mcfadden20.

Al_is_theraiders says that Reg is effin it up by keeping ZBS guy Briesel for power blocking scheme

so here is the question for you.

Which team did Cooper Carlisle played for before he came to the Raiders? and which scheme did they run? and how did the Raiders do with Cooper Carlisle in the lineup in 2010, 2011?

• rediaR

Silly moderation

• DJ Johnny

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    DJ Johnny

Right. That’s what I thought. I think some guys were suggesting that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES could a player take less than what his contract calls for; as if it were part of the new cba or something, and I didn’t think that was correct.

As long as the player agrees…they can do it.

It has been my opinion all along that Palmer would take an out and out cut…IF they agreed to get him a stud wr to throw to.

Some say our receivers are fine and as a fan who has had to kick various items of furniture in frustration can attest…it is my humble opinion they are not. Too many damn doinks off the chest and hands that I saw; and no, i’m not saying Palmer was perfect all the time.

I thought Pryor got victimized himself to the tune of 4 drops.

• edward teach

340.mcfadden20. Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

so here is the question for you.

********************************************************

Cooper Carlisle was a Bronco, and a ZBS guard. He did fine in the power scheme here; it could be said that he has our most consistent o-lineman over the past few years, regardless of scheme.

Briesel was playing on a bum ankle all year (according to Reggie; he said as much in a recent interview) and it no doubt affected his performance.

I think it’s WAY too premature to say that he can’t play in a predominantly power-oriented scheme. Someone would have to demonstrate for me that he couldn’t before I’d believe it.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Mcfadden20. Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

so here is the question for you.

==============

In 2010 & 2011 we had an offensive mind that knew how to best utilize the talent. Greg Olsen shows more promise than Knapp, but Carlisle was a value signing. He wasn’t a $4 million signing like Brisel was. Not to mention that money could have been used to sign Satele who we were familiar with.

Funny thing is Tafur tweeted today that Brisel will probably compete with Lucas Nix.. No mention of Bergstrom.

• Al_is_theraiders

keep making mcxcuses for them…

• edward teach

345.Al_is_theraiders Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 7:33 pm
    keep making mcxcuses for them…

********************************************************

Nobody’s making excuses, because there’s nothing to make excuses for. Briesel played on a broken leg in the playoffs with Houston, and according to McKenzie played all year with a bum ankle. So, he’s tough. And also, apparently better injured than anyone healthy that could have replaced him.

And (I know this wasn’t your comment, but I’ll address it anyway), they’re looking at Bergstrom to compete for the RT spot. That’s why he’s not mentioned as competing with Briesel and Nix at guard.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Edward Teach Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    345.Al_is_theraiders Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 7:33 pm
    keep making mcxcuses for them…

********************************************************

================

Cuz he failed at guard so they put him at tackle? Quick question, why does Barksdale get cut and we hang onto the mormon?

And if was Brisel was such damaged goods they should have never signed him. But hey thanks Knapp & Pollack for that recommendation!

• severeraiderz

Dj Johnny

Vick was cut and a new one year deal was signed with the same team

• Priesttj12

******************************************
    Seymour I swear man you are so narrow minded and short sighted. You think you saw everything TP has to offer in one damn game?

The GM was obviously impressed as was the HC as he has said numerous times. So what do you thinkthey saw that impressed them if he can’t get it done when they were dead set against TP them he practices one week and plays in one game and he changes their entire outlook on him in one damn week. Yet you want to come in here and spew your complete and utter ignorance thinking it means something.

The die has been cast it is a foregone conclusion that they think something is there they want to work with yet you continue to come in here with this embicilic nonesense trying to pretend you have a point. Get a clue man!

As has been repeated over and over again they want to develope his talent which I have said since day1 that if he EVER got the chance to play that fans would fall in love with that kids competitiveness and moxey not to mention his obvious talent.

You’re making yourself sound and look like a hater…….so you don’t like the kid. So what!
    That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee……….get over it they like what they see……period

• Al_is_theraiders

fvck them both they suck weak asszsz zbs guards/tackles…