2,065

Mitchell could return in 2013

The Raiders apparently aren’t bent on purging everything associated to owner Al Davis in 2013.

Safety Mike Mitchell, widely regarded as a major reach as a second-round pick (No. 47 overall) in the 2009 draft, is cautiously optimistic about returning to the team that selected him out of Ohio four seasons ago.

Mitchell, whose exuberance and willingness to hit drew mostly compliments from coach Dennis Allen last season, said he left the Raiders facility following the season feeling good about his chances of coming back.

“The fact that they’re showing interest in getting a deal done I think that says that,” Mitchell said by phone Tuesday night. “At the same time, it’s a business. Things change overnight. You never know how that’s going to play out. It’s good for me to leave (Alameda) knowing they want to bring me back and it’s good for me to them to be contact my agent trying to get a deal done. That’s reassuring.

“They’re men of their word. I’ve said that since day 1. I believe coach Allen and Reggie are good me and they’ve followed that up by what they’ve shown me in free agency. But still, it’s an extremely tough decision. I’m not even close to making a decision yet.”

To review, Mitchell’s solid senior season at Ohio University and a spectacular Pro Day caught the eye of Davis. The Raiders picked him in the second round, while some draft analysts _ including the highly respected Mike Mayock of NFL Network _ had him as a late-round pick or free agent.

Mitchell said he feels capable of being a starter in the NFL. Whether the Raiders can offer that, or whether they’re even intending on offering it, remains an open question. Strong safety Tyvon Branch signed a multi-year deal last season after being named the club’s franchise player. Michael Huff, who moved to cornerback in Week 3 last season, is slated to return to free safety.

Both McKenzie and Allen have talked of Huff’s contributions at corner and about looking forward to him returning at free safety. Huff’s most recent contract would make him difficult to release. He’s due $4 million in salary plus a $4 million roster bonus entering free agency, but the amount of dead money from releasing Huff would total approximately $9.5 million.

More likely, the Raiders would reduce Huff’s base salary and extend him even further into the future. The final two years of Huff’s contract _ 2015 and 2016 _ are voidable years.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Gdog

Marks hair Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Dude keep up.. imo we are a rebuilding team. No need for old cp and his 15mil tag.. id love to trade him for a decent pick. But there is no real narket for him.. so we need to cut his pay in half so that we can afford to keep or do somthing with the guy.. wish ppl were calling about him.. but thats not common sense to me..

>>>>

So why would CP take such a substantial pay cut if this is such “common sense” to you?

The fans hate him here, obviously. And there are at least two playoff quality teams with HORRIBLE QBs!

If I were Palmer I would simply wait for Reggie to dump me, and play for a team with intelligent fans!

• raiderfankirk

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 12:32 pm
    Cartoon of a fat guy in a lazyboy eating chips, drinking beer and watching TV in a castle with the caption ‘The prince, formally known as charming’ still graces my refrigerator.

Forgot to add he was burping.

————————–
    Family Guy?

• NGRaiderfan

2051.RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    SBreport ‏@SBreport
    Raiders restructure Tyvon Branch’s contract, base salary drops from $6M to $715,000. Two more years added to deal, all per @CorkOnTheNFL.

=========

is this legit??? if so that’s a solid move for this year. hopefully it doesn’t bite us in the ass in the future.

• Just Fire Baby

Reggie already working a Reggie deal.

That can be construed as either good or bad news I guess.

• rediaR

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    SBreport ‏@SBreport
    —————————–
    I like that new base salary but am saddened by two more years of Tyvon.

• Raider E

SBreport ‏@SBreport

——————————

Great, now we have cap room to make some cuts and absorb some dead money.

Old Reggie Hubbard has got nada in the cupboard.

• NGRaiderfan

2052.Gdog Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    Marks hair Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

>>>>

=========

most fans here don’t hate him. I don’t hate him. I don’t see how u can hate him i mean he played hard. i hate his contract. anything to get rid of that i will be fine. if that means restructuring and he stays, i’m fine. if that means trading him. i”m fine. if that means cutting him, so be it.

• Marks hair

I didnt say cp agreeing to a pay cut was common sense.. jesus guy learn to read. Im tired of defending the things the voices in your head say in my name.

• Raider E

Ol’ Reggie should have let him play under the franchise tag last year.

• DutchRaider77

Raiders tacked on two years to SS Tyvon Branch’s contract at $6.5 million for each season — 2016 and 2017…

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

SBreport ‏@SBreport
    Tyvon Branch, 26, now locked in as a Raider until he’s 31.

Expand Collapse

• NGRaiderfan

just read the details corkran posten on twitter…so he was getting paid 6 mil this year and we cut it to 715,000. but what worries me is giving him 2 more years a 6.5 mil per season. that almost sounds like a raise in the long run….

• Gdog

Marks hair Says:
    March 7th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

>>>>

So why on earth would he take a PAY CUT then?

Jeesh… spit it out. You are making no sense.

• RAIDERMAN99

Palmer is virtually untradeable at his current salary. Would need a partner with tons of cap room and no concern about overpaying for his services.

Roturdo McWhiff ? It doesn’t matter if the cap hit is 20 million.

He’s got to go.

And don’t worry about him doing something elsewhere.

He’s a freaking stiff that’s as slow as a snail. He’ll be out of the NFL by 2014, if not sooner.

In fact, one of the tragedies of last season occurred after Sloturdo had his blowup with Tits and Slo wasn’t cut IMMEDIATELY.

Keeping that POS on the roster – to save a few cap dollars, or possibly get a draft pick of any kind for him, or even to humiliate him by turning him into McGreenbeanie – was a bullschit move by an organization that didn’t have enough self respect to just send that schithead packing.

Comes a time when you just part ways with a turd out of principle and to set standards, regardless of cost or consequences.

That time came and went for Slo, and every moment he’s spent on the roster since then is an embarrassment.

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Whoa Goobs, check this out

Just got a call from my date for tomorrow night, who asked if she could bring along a friend who is totally into lezbo action

She mentioned the words Menage A Trois a few times, so obviously I pitched a huge tent (14.5 inches of pure Lawg) and threw a hot pocket in the toaster oven

Brahs, might work on a new seductive rap jam to express my current feelings of sensuality

Gonna drop a huge duece first, wish me luck