Veteran LB visiting Raiders, Adams not tendered contract

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, March 12th, 2013 at 1:46 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Cleveland Browns linebacker Kaluka Maiava is scheduled to visit the Raiders at some point this week, according to an NFL Network Tweet.
Maiava started 13 games for the Browns last season, registering 53 tackles and three sacks. He has started 22 of the 50 games he played in during his four-year NFL career, all with the Browns.
Maiava, 6-foot and 229 pounds, played his collegiate ball at USC. The Raiders are thin at linebacker, with the expected release of Rolando McClain and the face Philip Wheeler and Omar Gaither are unrestricted free agents.
Given the Raiders are only $8.5 million under the salary cap right now, mid-level players such as Maiava are the kind of players general manager Reggie McKenzie figures to target, for the most part, in free agency.
In other news, the Raiders opted against tendering a one-year contract to cornerback Phillip Adams. He was Oakland’s lone restricted free agent.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:

There is no finality today on my side of the debate.

There is for yours though.

Tick….tick…..tick
    =========================================================

Those seconds will keep ticking away ’till game One of the regular season when CP3 takes the field.

• Dunno Raider
  • rediaR

Gdog Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:37 pm
    John David Booty Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I think DHB will be a casualty. Making too much, current staff doesnt know how to use him, and Reggie has zero emotional tie to him and will feel he is easily replaceable. I like the guy and hope he learns how to catch. He can be dangerous for another team. He is a YAC monster, no one can deny that.

>>>

Agreed.

He should be a bubble screen machine. Unfortunately Knapp had that play at the bottom of his play book.

CP doesn’t seem to trust him at all.
    ———————-
    “I teach what I know,” the line that tells the story of the 2012 Raider O.

• 1960AutumnWind

Whoknows Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    Is there a strategic reason for not doing anything and waiting to cut players?
    *******************************

Yes the value of a FA goes down as you go deeper into FA. If you want to keep him you hang on until there is a roster bonus due like we did with Wimbly. That gives the team more leverage. That is why we have not cut Bey, Kelly or Palmer (if we are even thinkking of that). Surprised about Slowlando though.

• The_Judge37

Whoknows Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    Is there a strategic reason for not doing anything and waiting to cut players?
    ——–

By not doing anything at all, he gets to see who’s left over

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    rediaR Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    This is how the logic of some work on this blog.

“Yea we get a potential starting CB or at least a rotational corner for 630k – what a lousy move. Man I wish Al was here. Maybe we could get Routt back for 16 million over 2 years or something. Have we cut Palmer yet???? Big Reg is probably still at IHOP staring at Denises Tits.”
    ————–
    To be fair, I’ve only seen one guy call it a bad move.

*****************************

True! Lot of guys in here do know their stuff. Just wanting to highlight how absurd that post sounded as well as the tits and the IHOP crap. The tits and IHOP might have been funny a month ago but not sure.

============

Gotta keep up the tis & IHOP jokes cuz that’s what these 2 have only proven they are capable of being the butt of our jokes.

• Whoknows

I girl told me this when I was a kid;
    Spell I-HOP and add Ness

• xraided

The_Judge37 Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    The IHOP jokes are becoming less funny as they near Reality.

___________

LMFAO

• poprox13

and iHop’s hit counter just went through the roof….

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Poprox13 Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Reggie is taking the Rooty Tooty Fresh n Fruity approach
    ——————-
    Your favorite dish? Lol. Probably.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

The Chiefs just signed Danny DeVito!

• rediaR

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:37 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:

There is no finality today on my side of the debate.

There is for yours though.

Tick….tick…..tick
    =========================================================

——————-
    Maybe if he takes our field that will convince people to get that new stadium done.

• 1960AutumnWind

I think they are working on DHB to reduce and restructure as with Palmer to some degree. Not so sure with Kelly maybe waiting for a trade offer??? Slowlando have no idea why stalling.

• John David Booty

Reggie’s BIG FA signing prediction list. Who will be the Raiders top FA signing this season:

John David Booty: Nnamdi Asomugha
    Inonewordraider: Desmond Bryant
    RediaR: Ryan Fitzpatrick OR Some UFA
    Whoknows: A Guard on the Packers practice squad

• aig-raiders

My money says Chase Daniel will supplant Alex Smith as the starting QB in KC. I think Daniel is going to do well there.

• 90210

So far this new regime has been disappointing! This NEW office is going through garbage dumps to temporarily fix the mess of problems we have. If this PORKER was so good why was Wolfe and Packer office nearly twisting the Dutch Boy’s arm to hire this Buffon? It’s like me pushing one of my best employees to one of my competitors! There ain’t no way in hell I would do that, I will never contribute to help one of my competitors! I am just so sick of the lies and arrogance that flows through that building like Rich said they need to blow the whole thing up! They should sell the team to a real business man that understands the whole concept behind the marketability of the raider logo! I am positive if they had someone like that at the helm all this bs that is going on would be intolerable! Simply because if raiders are not competitive the $ numbers will not balance! This ain’t the browns, cardinals, bills this is the freakin RAIDERS! As a fan this is unacceptable that is why I have not renewed my season tickets since 2006!

• rediaR

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    The Chiefs just signed Danny DeVito!
    ——————–
    The sad thing is, he was at IHOP with Reggie while the deal went down.

• Marks hair

Reggie..”leftovers yum.. nom nom nom nom..”

• Whoknows

******************************************
    That must be assuming that nobody else wants the guy you do and you are receiving calls about guys you want to cut.

• Dunno Raider

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    The Chiefs just signed Danny DeVito!
    ************************************

uh-oh.

• Charlie

Wind

Doubt we can trade down.
    The only real loss on your list is Wheeler. Again depending on what he expects to be paid- he may not be a loss.

Why did the Colts let him go??? Too high an asking price.

As I said earlier, this is a great day.

Play well and you will get paid by the Raiders. We were 4-12 being $5 million over the cap at the end of the season.
    Ridiculous. With that performance we should have $30 million under.
    Players have to make plays. DHB production issues did not start with Knapp. Look it up.
    Coaching??? No. Bad player not performing CLOSE to his contract.

• 90210

Fire that pork ASAP and bring in a real gm!

• The_Judge37

468.Marks hair Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    Reggie..”leftovers yum.. nom nom nom nom..”
    ————

Free Agents are the only Left overs Reggie’s about

• Chris in NY

John David Booty,
    Put me down for Mrs. Butterworth as our biggest signing.

• 90210

He can take “his guy” Dennis the Disaster Allen too!

Chucky we miss you!

• The_Judge37

I’m starting to like the Idea of Reggie comming into work one morning, and finding Mike Holmgren sitting in his booth.

• Whoknows

90210 Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    ***************************************
    Wolfe pushed Reggie on us to move his son up the totem pole.

• poprox13
  • rediaR

The_Judge37 Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    ———————
    While petting a cat.

• Just Fire Baby

I like the “cost of FA goes down with each day” theory.

Reggie sure is good at excuses for inactivity.

Like all excuses in life, there usually is some truth to them, but annoying still to hear constantly.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Wheeler is not a priority, Dline is. Get some quality Dlinemen in here. Then some CBs. Lastly look at the LBs.

• http://singleness-of-purpose 909RaiderLifer

I heared an advertisement on the radio today.

Plastic Surgeon claiming he can fix moobs…

Will send the name to raiders.com, next time I hear it…

• realtruraider

Bob McGinn‏@BobMcGinn

Erik Walden said he had strong overtures from #Chiefs and #Raiders, which only enhanced his bargaining position with #Colts.

Retweeted by Vic Tafur

——————————————————

Reggie tried to go after his Packer, Colts on the other hand have made some good sound signings today

• Just Win Baby

Chris Canty would have been nice.

• Dunno Raider

Someone needs to sneak a menu into IHOP and make sure Reggie gets it.

Todays specials could be all the free agents that are still out there.

Combo platters could include Palmers contract, and the benefits of dumping romo or DHB trade options.

The menu could remind him we have King in the wings.

I’m afraid this may be the only way for him to see the needs of the team. Someone from the front office better act quick. Someone in the know who can get what we need in terms of personel. Someone who has the gonads to put the Raider financial status and cap scales into a menu and slip it at Reggies table.

• The_Judge37

479.rediaR Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    ———————
    While petting a cat.

No i don’t Mike will keep DA, hopefully Reggie takes his Pv$$y with him when he leaves.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

The_Judge37 Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    ++++++++
    Just imagine Reg’s face full of surprise and despair when he finds Holmgren in his booth at IHOP. LOL!

• Dunno Raider

I like the “cost of FA goes down with each day” theory.
    *******************************************

So does the quality of the personel.

• boss01

909RaiderLifer Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I heared an advertisement on the radio today.

Plastic Surgeon claiming he can fix moobs…

Will send the name to raiders.com, next time I hear it…

========

While you’re at it, see if you can find a bottom lip reduction expert

• rediaR

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala
    Dolphins keep going… LB Philip Wheeler visits tomorrow.

• Dunno Raider

This golden oppotunity to get some FAs is gonna turn to a golden shower if Reggie aint careful. IHOP will not appreciate that.

• The_Judge37

487.Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    ++++++++
    ——

I’m starting to think that’s the reason why Reggie hasn’t left the IHOP since the Holmgren story came out.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dunno Raider Says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

———————
    You’re gonna wet your pants?

• inonewordraider

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

This is interesting: Chiefs free-agent RB Peyton Hillis is visiting the Green Bay Packers.

• rediaR

OAKLAND RAIDERS ‏@RAIDERS
    The Raiders have released WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, DB Michael Huff and DE David Tollefson; and re-signed DB Phillip Adam
    ——————
    Dayum. Good luck DHB.

• Just Fire Baby

OK, I-Hop people, we get it.

Time for a 2nd act please.

• Dunno Raider

All our guys Reggie let loose will probably fare better on another team with better coaching anyway. Best of luck to them. I heard Reggie passed out IHOP meal tickets to them as they walked out the door as a gift.

• realtruraider

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwala

Dolphins keep going… LB Philip Wheeler visits tomorrow.

——————————————————-

Damn, he is gone, he was about to sign with them last year, his fine @ss model girl loves the idea of Miami, atleast she did last year. Not sure if fans tweeting him will get him to sign back wit us this year, Miami just has to damn much money

• inonewordraider

no mcclain? cp? kelly?

• aig-raiders

is it me but we aint got any money to spend on FA anyways right? We’re about 8 mil under the cap. Can someone validate the numbers? JFB?