1,364

Raiders sign three veterans in free agency

Kaluka Maiava

Kaluka Maiava

The Raiders signed defensive tackle Pat Sims, linebacker Kaluka Maiava and defensive end Jason Hunter on Wednesday in what amounts to the addition of solid players, even if they arent household names.

“We’re excited to add three veterans through free agency,” Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said via press release, “helping to create depth and competition on defense. We’ll continue to add free agents as the opportunity surfaces.”

Sims, 27, played for the Cincinnati Bengals the past five seasons, with 23 starts — only one the past two seasons. He recorded 17 tackles in eight games last season.

Sims, 6-foot-2 and 335 pounds, is projected to team with Tommy Kelly in the middle for now, with Richard Seymour a free agent and key backup Desmond Bryant now a member of the Cleveland Browns.

Maiava, 26, started 22 games for the Browns during his four-year career in Cleveland. The Raiders are thin at linebacker, with the defection of Philip Wheeler to the Miami Dolphins and the expected release of Rolando McClain. Omar Gaither is a free agent, also.

Hunter, 29, last played in the NFL in 2011, when he was with the Denver Broncos. He started two games that season. Overall, Hunter has six years’ NFL experience, including three with the Green Bay Packers.

The Raiders are in need of some help at end, with Matt Shaughnessy a free agent, Bryant gone and Dave Tollefson released.

The signings of Sims, Hunter and Maiava represent Oakland’s first foray into free agency since the process kicked off Tuesday. Before now, their only moves consisted of re-signing cornerbacks Coye Francies and Phillip Adams to one-year contracts.

Steve Corkran

• RaidingTexas

Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:21 am
    Oh oh…Schefter just tweeted that Sean Smith is visiting KC today and feels that KC is a very viable option!

——————————————–

Looks like Reid brought the same all out free agent Philly-osophy to KC.

• The_Judge37

DHB had a good year in 2011, he was making slight improvments each year until DA arrived and the decline was across the board. I won’t deny he wasn’t worth the money he was making though, so his loss in not that big of a deal. But he was alright.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaidingTexas Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:30 am
    Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:21 am

——————————————–

Looks like Reid brought the same all out free agent Philly-osophy to KC.

===========================================

FANTASTIC! This means a division rival is going to completely hamstring themselves with a bunch of high-dollar signings that will cripple their finances for years to come.

• shutdown

The simple truth about DHB–you’ll never be able to trust his hands.

He was a track guy made into a wr on a non-passing college team. Good guy, will NEVER be more than a serviceable 3rd or 4th receiver for a team that can afford to carry a guy with such a small skill set.

Even his flat out speed (he’s not a good route runner) on a fly pattern is not enough to force the other team to double him because his hands are so mediocre and he has trouble following the ball on such routes.

• MEX_GHOST

willy91137 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:39 am
    and IF my aunt would add balls should’ve been my uncle
    ———————————————
    Just general culture. In Spanish traslated literally we use this:
    “If my grandma would add wheels should´ve been a bicycle”

• guest123

A couple of weeks ago, on the radio, I heard an NFL scout talk about what they look for in WR’s a the combine. I can’t remember the scout’s name, but he said the main thing that he looks for is the 10 yard split. Much more important than the 40 time. Said he rarely watches the end of 40′s, just times the 10 yard split and walks away.

What jumped out at me from this interview was the next thing he said. “I have no interest in the next Darrius Heyward Bey”.

• edward teach

1328.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:13 am
    edward teach Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:09 am

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    buffalo fans drooling for DHB

********************************************************

Yeah, they don’t get to watch too many Raider games on the East Coast.
    ==============

i think they respect his 4.2 speed and his explosive run after the catch skill.

I have long contended he was a guy that need to be fed and fed early in games.

DHB was severely under utilized by palmer, and knapps wco was a piss poor fit

********************************************************

I was joking, which I’m sure you know since you failed to paste the rest of my comment.

DHB was ok, but not worth what we were going to have to pay him this year. I will reiterate the part of my comment that you so conveniently left out, and that is that it may actually be good for him to leave Oakland. In my opinion he felt too much pressure to live up to his draft status here and it affected his play. A new team gives him a new lease on life, and he can relax and just play.

• NGRaiderfan

Terrence Newman and Corew Williams both in for a visit. I wouldn’t mind signing both of these players.

• R8ER MIKE

ummm new post guys !!

• Charlie

Free agent signings are still full of peril;

Hunter-30 years old with injury issues
    Sims-27 years old with recent injury issues
    Maiava-26 years old. Could have promise.

The good news is these guys are about the same as the guys they may replace for a lot less money. (Shaugnessy,Bryant,Wheeler).
    Maybe we get lucky and they are durable. Then again we could have a Spencer/Bartell repeat.

This will not cahnge our draft strategy at all.
    We will go Oline, DT and CB in that order with our first three picks.

• Charlie

The nonsense in Philly in recent years was not Reid.
    It was Howie Roseman.That is why Reid left/was fired.

Reid will bring the NFC East mentality to the Chiefs.
    Build the lines and win games 16-10.

Fortunately we will build our lines as well through the draft.

Reid is tough and the Chefs will be as well in a couple of years.

• Rooks

Been following the board when I can. Throwing my totally worthless two cents into the herd.

On deep cuts: I, for one, am ecstatic that we’re cutting so many overpaid, and under-performing players. The guys we’re bringing in now are placeholders so we won’t make it look too obvious that we’re planning to finish number one for next year’s draft.

on Reggie’s plan: I’m on board. Oakland hasn’t been a place players have wanted to come to play. No unless you roll out a carpet made of gold for them. The new understanding the league has to come to embrace is that Oakland isn’t going to beg you with fistfuls of cash to play. No more free fries. I know some people knock high character guys, but those are the ones who don’t quit, who restructure, who help bring in the new guys to the Raider fold. Look at Manning last season. Even his coaches were admitted performing better because of him. Yeah, talent is important too, of course. Not dumb enough to think otherwise, but what’s wrong with shooting for both and when between a rock and a hard place, going with a high-motor, passionate player?

On 2013& 2014: 2013 will be ugly in ways we can’t imagine; and I’ve got zero problem with this. Cut the costs, take a brutal in-season beating, and then show up for 2014 with BIG bank and a prized draft position. It’s one season of really true pain. And, if somehow, this team manages to find a gem or two in 2013, we’re in prime position to re-sign them with our deep pockets, or add bonus picks.

As much as I despise the Pats, this organization would benefit from learning to stockpile picks. No better leverage in any business that deep pockets and the ability to choose first among the best available talent.

On Reggie: I don’t know if I believe in Reggie 100% (the coaching debacle is hard to ignore.) but he looks to be playing this right. He did inherit a terrible CAP and contract situation. Among the league’s worst.

On picking #3: Now I’m hoping Buffalo continues to overreach and beg us for the #3 pick. I generally believe in taking blue chip guys anytime you can get them, but not in this particular situation. Stockpile those picks. Blue chips come 2014. “With the #3 pick in the draft…Oakland has traded with Buffalo.”

Palmer: We’re stuck with him. We may as well play him. Yeah, give Pryor his chances too. Maybe he surprises. I’d rather Palmer was in there earning his check and taking a weekly beating than the kid.

On VYoung: He’d be a horrible signing. Horrible. There’s a reason no one will touch him. I’d rather have Firzpatrick, though I doubt he’d be cheap enough.

DHB: bye-bye stone hands.
    Dansby: I fill in guy. He’s lost a lot of speed though. Cheap is all that matters. Id he’ll play for next to nothing, fine.

• xraided

KC just nabbed Sean Smith. awesome.

• Al_is_theraiders

a 35 year old corner…smh…