Raiders sign three veterans in free agency

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 at 3:01 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Kaluka Maiava

Kaluka Maiava

The Raiders signed defensive tackle Pat Sims, linebacker Kaluka Maiava and defensive end Jason Hunter on Wednesday in what amounts to the addition of solid players, even if they arent household names.

“We’re excited to add three veterans through free agency,” Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said via press release, “helping to create depth and competition on defense. We’ll continue to add free agents as the opportunity surfaces.”

Sims, 27, played for the Cincinnati Bengals the past five seasons, with 23 starts — only one the past two seasons. He recorded 17 tackles in eight games last season.

Sims, 6-foot-2 and 335 pounds, is projected to team with Tommy Kelly in the middle for now, with Richard Seymour a free agent and key backup Desmond Bryant now a member of the Cleveland Browns.

Maiava, 26, started 22 games for the Browns during his four-year career in Cleveland. The Raiders are thin at linebacker, with the defection of Philip Wheeler to the Miami Dolphins and the expected release of Rolando McClain. Omar Gaither is a free agent, also.

Hunter, 29, last played in the NFL in 2011, when he was with the Denver Broncos. He started two games that season. Overall, Hunter has six years’ NFL experience, including three with the Green Bay Packers.

The Raiders are in need of some help at end, with Matt Shaughnessy a free agent, Bryant gone and Dave Tollefson released.

The signings of Sims, Hunter and Maiava represent Oakland’s first foray into free agency since the process kicked off Tuesday. Before now, their only moves consisted of re-signing cornerbacks Coye Francies and Phillip Adams to one-year contracts.

• SilverNBlackPA

ron69 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    The more i think about it the more it looks like.

The transition to 3-4 might be already set, at least the front 7

DE Houston
    NT Sims
    DE Kelly
    OLB Maiava
    ILB Burris
    ILB Mclain
    OLB Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan
    CB Adams
    SS Branch
    FS ?
    CB ?

What do you think

+++++++++++++++++++++

Been having these exact same thoughts

Think McClain is gone regardless, though. Kelly too unless he restructures.

who made you the keeper of the record for this board?

***

it’s well documented. everybody has access to the blog archives

• Gdog

>>>

I like the signing too, but its not true he graded out better than Wheeler last year, unless you know of stats better than PFF’s.

Maiava was basically a zero. Wheeler a +9.8.

Much of Wheelers positives came from the Pitts game (+7.2) where he nearly won it on his own.

He face planted vs Balt on contrast.

• 1960AutumnWind

Another thing Rockstar after we drafted JR I did support him. I am a Raiders fan and I tend to support the players on the team even if I have issues with them. I also (probably should not do this) try to give players and coaches a chance to prove themselves even if I have my doubts. I got burned pretty bad on this with both Knapp this year and Walsh in 2006.

• SilverNBlackPA

I should add, Burris would fit better as an OLB in the 3-4 and Maiava as an ILB. Just one guy’s opinion though.

• DutchRaider77

Yeah, most likely camp fodder, but the Raiders signed NT Johnny Jones? They call him a NT instead of DT, just saying?

• 1960AutumnWind

Rockstar

The just go back to the weeks prior to the draft you will see me in there blasting JR making jokes about him throwing the ball 70 yards on his knees etc.

• guest123

Davis should change the name of the team to the Oakland Players Nobody Else Wants.

*********

Oakland Camp Fodder

• SilverNBlackPA

DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:17 am

+++++++++++++++

The 4-3 has a NT spot too, the term is just mostly used to the guy playing the zero technique (lined up directly over center) in the 3-4.

• bcz24

1248.ron69 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    The more i think about it the more it looks like.

The transition to 3-4 might be already set, at least the front 7

DE Houston
    NT Sims
    DE Kelly
    OLB Maiava
    ILB Burris
    ILB Mclain
    OLB Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan
    CB Adams
    SS Branch
    FS ?
    CB ?

What do you think?
    *****************
    I think you are jumping to conclusions a bit. 1. McClain definitely wont be on the roster and 2. Sims definitely wasnt signed to be a starter.

Not saying we arent going to switch to a 3-4 but at this point there is no way to tell.

• Gdog

I was on record on Usenet saying we should trade for Matt Schaub and draft AP before we drafted JaMoney.

It wasn’t my idea, but I loved it.

Can you imagine how different our franchise had been?

I expect DMAC to up his production in his contract year.

Injuries to BOTH feet, yet more fumbles.

• ron69

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:17 am

—————————-
    —————————-

You’re right Maiava is too short to play OLB in the 3-4

• SilverNBlackPA

My idea in 2007 was to draft Joe Thomas and give Andrew Walter another shot. So I had half a good idea.

• bcz24

1251.RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    the Wash DC “native americans” just signed Jeremy Trueblood.

dang, wanted that guy
    ***********
    He graded out as the 5th worst tackle in the league in 09 and 11 (when he played considerable snaps) and was flagged for 19 penalties in those 2 years. Sounds like Willie Smith, Id rather ride it out with Barnes!

• raiderlization

We are playing NFC East this year “just a thought” I think we need a Vet.

• guest123

Bucs fans threw a party the day they got rid of Trueblood. I remember that day well.

• 1960AutumnWind

Rockstar

So I went back to the archives for April 2007 on the side and there were only like 5 posts on the side with truncated comments. Unless you have a better sources – shut up! Much of the record is missing.

• Chris in NY

Seems like we’re definitely going 3-4. Mkes sense. Reggie better drft a good pass rusher though or he may not see year 3 of this rebuild. If we win like 2 gmes and have a top pick in a QB rich draft + 90 mil in cap space the Grudens and other high profile types may come calling. If Reggie can’t hit on some of his bargain buys and draft picks this year Mark may decide that Reggie did a fine job with the demo work, but I’m going to hire someone else 4 the construction.

• SilverNBlackPA

Chris in NY Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:29 am

++++++++++++

First name Jarvis
    Last name Jones

• Macho Man Randy Savage

It wasn’t my idea, but I loved it.

Can you imagine how different our franchise had been?
    ++++++++++++++

You think that drafting different players would have yielded different results?

The reason players did not develop in Oakland was the system put in place. Clueless scouting, scrap heap coaching, and out o whack relationships between owner-players-coaches, no clear line of authority, etc

heck, if we had drafted Peyton Manning he would be the best Tire Salesman in Tennessee by now

• J Hill

I like the Maiava signing. By all accounts he is a good kid and a good teammate. He graded out as well or better than wheeler last year and we got him locked in for 3 years for less than Wheelers signing bonus. When you look at our LB core Maiava looks even better

Hunter and Sims in my opinion are camp fodder who can compete for a spot for depth. They weren’t signed to be starters. They cost us peanuts. Very low risk with low to middle reward.

————————————————————–

Agreed!

• DutchRaider77

1258.guest123 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:19 am

*********

Oakland Camp Fodder

______________________________________

Seems like every time I see a recent players’ highlight film on ESPN it always has a player making a spectaular play against the Raiders…naturally we should change our name to the Oakland “Generals.”

• J Hill

————————————————————–

You noticed that too?

Same with NFLN

• severeraiderz

I wanted Megatron in the 1st and Troy Smith in the 3rd

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

outside of miavia i dont expect much out of the guys we have signed so far, and if newman joins my opinion will not change.

These guys should all be viewed as stop gap measures and some of them will have their replacements selected in this years draft.

Reggie is plugging holes with thrifty spending. He is not going to get super stars this way, but he is hoping tyo squeeze solid production out of them so we may be at least competetive.

he is really putting all of his eggs in the draft, and just patching the tires with the free agents.

I like it. It will take another year or two, and he must hit big on at least 2 of these picks coming. i mean instant starters and impact players.

I think a pass rusher makes a lot more sense now because of the free agent philosophy.

The d line is thin, and the houston and shougnessy (unsigned) are not good enough to carry scrubs. we need a guy that can create 10 or more sacks a year to mask the talent deficiency in the defense.

• Gdog

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:30 am

It wasn’t my idea, but I loved it.

Can you imagine how different our franchise had been?
    ++++++++++++++

You think that drafting different players would have yielded different results?

>>>>

Uhh cmon man. We would have had a rock solid starting QB to this day… plus no reason to draft McFadden. No reason to trade for CP. AP really doesn’t need any blocking.

Be fair… Schaub and AP would have kept our franchise around 8-8 for a lot of years… regardless of coaching or anything else really. I’m not saying we would have won rings… but I could tolerate 0-16 now if we had been competitive all those years since we drafted JaMoney.

• RAIDERMAN99

Dakota Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 8:21 am
    CNN:”Saudi Arabi beheads 7 for stealing”…….If we had those rules here, Javon Walker, DeAngelo Hall, Tommy Kelly, Jamarcus Russell, DHB, Michael Huff, T. Branch, Slowlando McLazy and many other current and former Raiders would be a lot shorter right now.
    ================================================
    Russell should volunteer to be beheaded.

Gets him closer to an acceptable playing weight and wouldn’t reduce his IQ much.

• R8ER MIKE

severeraiderz Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:35 am
    I wanted Megatron in the 1st and Troy Smith in the 3rd

*********************
    i want a beer and a bong hit !!
    GreenParty in 2016 !!

• RaiderDebo

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:30 am

It wasn’t my idea, but I loved it.

Can you imagine how different our franchise had been?
    ++++++++++++++

You think that drafting different players would have yielded different results?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Post of the day. A lot of dudes in denial on this board.

• poprox13

J Hill Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:35 am

————————————————————–

You noticed that too?

Same with NFLN
    __________________

lol, I noticed this happens a lot on PFT pictures as well.

• willy91137

and IF my aunt would add balls should’ve been my uncle

• R8ER MIKE

================================================
    Russell should volunteer to be beheaded.

*************************
    roflmfao !!!!!!

• severeraiderz

After we drafted JR I came on here and threw a tantrum and said thst the pick set us back five years……I guess I under estimated the damage

• The_Judge37

ron69 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    The more i think about it the more it looks like.

The transition to 3-4 might be already set, at least the front 7

CB ?

What do you think?
    ——

I think we’re FK’d

• The_Judge37

——

That’s fine, but now is the time to sign starters, then fill out the roster with camp fodder

• guest123

*********

except we do that process in reverse order.

• severeraiderz

Why is Palmer still on the team? We are rebuilding, no need to keep him on the roster

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

i have read a lot of belly aching in here around the notion that ‘players dont want to come to oakland” or “oakland isnt attractive destination”.

While this may have some merrit with regards to the so called top free agenst, it could also be said that oakland has no interest in that particular group of flashy expensive players.

The guys that reggie is looking for do want to come and will come. Why?

There are only so many nfl jobs available and players want to get paid. see wheeler last year. Still dont believe? look at this

• RaidingTexas

Severeraiderz Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:35 am
    I wanted Megatron in the 1st

————————————-

Yep. Biggest draft mistake in NFL history.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:20 am

=================================================

In the 4-3, the NT plays the 1-technique (between the center and guard). It’s kind of confusing, which is why a lot of 4-3 teams just call both guys “defensive tackles.”

• The_Judge37

RaidingTexas Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:46 am
    Severeraiderz Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:35 am
    I wanted Megatron in the 1st

————————————-

Yep. Biggest draft mistake in NFL history.
    ——

I thought for sure Al wouldn’t be able to resist Calvin, then JR had to sit on his but and throw a football through the uprights.

• Chris in NY

I get people sying we have to “build through the dratf”. To an etent I’m on board with that, but you need to blend that with retaining your own young, good players and getting some quality free agent pieces. How long is it going to tke to get 53 draft picks together? Mny of the of the Nate Sttupar variety. Are we giving Reggie 10 years now? LOL.

DMAC pick was worse… cuz the menace is still here!

• Marks hair

We better get a pass rush. Or secondary doesnt mach up well with denver. Or anybody really

• DutchRaider77

1288.severeraiderz Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:45 am

___________________________________________________

You don’t think it could mean a possible trade?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

buffalo fans drooling for DHB

read the comment section

i wish we could have restructured this young man, I WISH PALMER THREW HIM THE DAMN BALL!!!!!!

• The_Judge37

Marks hair Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    ——

We already did in Jason Hunter. FML!

• The Big Banana

RaiderDebo Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:02 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 8:51 am
    Debo,

Russell won more games and threw fewer INT’s than Caren Palmer … in the same number of starts with a much worse supporting cast. He was a 23 year old, not a 33 year old.

Trade #3 for purple drank, sleep apnea & fur coats !!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Facts are facts. I’m convinced the Palmer Bunch would rather go 0-16 with him than 8-8 with JC or JR.

——–

Lol! I got news for you…Reggie can dump Palmer and pick up Captain Checkdown and JaPorkchop BOTH for much less than we’re paying Palmer right now if he thought it would better out team. What’s taking so long? No brainier, right? Hurry up and scoop up those guys before someone else does! Oh, wait…

• inonewordraider

severeraiderz Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 9:45 am
    Why is Palmer still on the team? We are rebuilding, no need to keep him on the
    __________