Maiava’s brief chat with local media

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, March 14th, 2013 at 11:51 am in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s what recently signed linebacker Kaluka Maiava had to say during a brief conference call with the local media Thursday:

Q: Talk about how this all transpired, did Raiders show intersest as soon as free agency started, etc . . .
Maiava: Everything went (through) my agent. We had a few teams interested, the Raiders scheduled an interview really quick, they were the first ones to schedule one, so I took the trip. Coming into it, I always grew up a Raiders fan, and being from the islands, always watched the Raiders and San Fran games so they’re definitely a team I was familiar with and my ears definitely perked up when my agent told me about Oakland being interested. I came in with high hopes and fortunately we got a deal done and I’m very excited about it.

Q: What do you bring to the table for the Raiders? What are they getting?
Maiava: I’m a hard-nosed guy, man. I come to work every day and I lead by example. I’m not the rah-rah guy giving the speeches and stuff. I lead by example and I come to work every day and I’ll play hard. I’ll go to war with anybody and I’m sure my teammates will appreciate that. I’m a tough guy and I pride myself on being one of the tougher players, and I’m here to work. So hopefully everything works out in that aspect.

Q: You play 3-4, more comfortable in 4-3, any talks about your role?
Maiava: They haven’t really talked about scheme-wise and the details of what I’m going to be doing. I’m just we got the business part out of the way and now when we come back we can work on actual football. I’ll play anything. Whatever the coaches need me to do, whatever it takes to win, I’ll play whatever spot they need me at.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

fire reggie now!!!
    ——————–
    Why dumbass?

• Raider Riff

ok boys, Im out. Time to go coach youth basketball.

At least there, my kids deliver. 2013 Winter League Champions!!!

And mind you, as GM of the team, I only took hard working “B” level players in the draft. None of my top picks made the All-league honors or were anywhere near the top of anyone else’s draft boards.

• Whoknows

Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    Ok, is there any proof that Reggie fired Hue? Wasn’t it mentioned that Mark said that was his first job was to fire Hue? geez…
    ****************************
    “This decision centered around my wanting to bring my own guy in,”

• Al_is_theraiders

35 year old corner…but were “building this the right way…”

• raiderfankirk

Priesttj12 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    bcz24 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    If Reggie wants to burn the franchise to the ground to save it, how come he didn’t just do it last year and restructure NOBODY? If he had traded every player with any value for whatever draft pick you can get, and we would would be in cap heaven right now! I wouldn’t have been happy about it, but I would have understood it. Now, not so much.
    ********************
    Because we started last year more than $20 million over the cap, and most of the big contracts you would want to cut had lower cap charges than dead money, which wasn’t the case this year. Cutting those guys last year would have incurred a cap charge, not a cap savings, and for the record… Reggie has only cut 3 people this year, so lets stop with this myth that he has ‘gutted the team’
    *****************************
    This is true but he is allowing young talent to walk because he doesn’t want to pay them to keep them. If acted more prudently early he could’ve kept certain players for less but he didn’t act. So they’re signing elsewhere for more. YOu have to know your OWN talent.

———————————
    I miss Al

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

harbaugh isnt stupid enough to change a good thing…11-5…

—————-

cuz his roster was full of PRO BOWL players as well as the best MLB in the game.. 5 str8 pro bowls and as a rookie??

ROMAC? LOL the guy is a scrub. CRABTREE?? he actually catches passes..

Reggie got a bunch of pro bowl contracts.. with below average play. WHen is hte last time a high priced Raider player made it to the prow bowl? Lechler dont count.. SEYMOUR? wow .. 15 million and takes the last 5 games off

Looking for cheap vets, Reggie?

SD has some up for grabs…

Jammer, Bigby, Spikes, Garay & Franklin

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

35 year old corner…but were “building this the right way…”
    ————————–
    Yes we are, dumbass.

• rudegruden

Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    ****************************
    “This decision centered around my wanting to bring my own guy in,”

———
    People keep bringing up the fact that Mark made the decision even though there is not proof, only speculation. The only proof is that Reggie has said he was the one making the decision (see link above).

I love how speculation ends up fact somehow.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

While I like Phil Wheeler, he was an average player. Maybe a B player but Lance Briggs he is not. Bryant was a backup. Bryant played behind Kelly and Seymour, and while he played well last year, remember he didn’t play that many snaps. Once you give a guy $20+mm, you expect him to go in, play a ton of snaps and dominate. I don’t know if Bryant is quite that guy. Especially after getting trashed, running around at 4am naked throwing punches around.

———————

thank u.. money. WHEELER was AVERAGE.. he just looked good with the Raiders cuz we havent seen average linebacker play in a while and our D sucked
    =======================================

Exactly. When your MLB is standing around doing nothing that means the outside guys have to fly around and make plays, which they did. Wheeler looked better than he was, and we don’t know if he was flying around out there looking for a payday.

• bcz24

************
    How do you KNOW that? How do you know he didn’t offer Bryant an extension but Bryant chose to bet on himself? The Raiders never comment on personal moves until they are filed. Has Bryant come out and said “Hey I would have stayed but they didn’t offer me anything”. Sorry that I cant get behind matching a $35 million contract for a career backup. You guys make a lot of assumptions of what goes on, when we all know that info isn’t leaking out.

• severeraiderz

Raider Riff

We were a better team. Look at what our offense did we were competitive in just about every game. Don’t use that schedule excuse either because we lost to the Browns and tried to lose to the Jsgs without their starting RB and QB.

You are what your record says you are

his roster was full of PRO BOWL players as well as the best MLB in the game..

***

Kirk Morrison played for SF last year??

• rudegruden

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    harbaugh isnt stupid enough to change a good thing…11-5…

—————-

ROMAC? LOL the guy is a scrub. CRABTREE?? he actually catches passes..

——-
    Hue was 8-8 with the same talent

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

most guys baggin on Kaluka Maiva never seen the kid play.. will easily step in for wheeler and lets see tarver use him like he used wheeler.

Will be a fan favorite on his hustle alone

• Just Fire Baby

BCZ,

Talib??

That dude is a hot mess off the field.

Great ball skills, maybe best in the league, but Bellicheck couldn’t keep him in line, you think DA can?

• The_Judge37

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

35 year old corner…but were “building this the right way…”
    ———

He’s only 34, don’t exaggerate

• DMAC

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Looking for cheap vets, Reggie?

SD has some up for grabs…

Jammer, Bigby, Spikes, Garay & Franklin
    ========

Jammer is toast
    Didn’t you see Moore abusing him all the time?
    I would bring in Garay tho

congrats to SJAX going to a winner like Hotlanta

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Cali people complaining about bugs are funny.

We got these Children of the Earth bugs that are like 4 inches long and look like they have a fetus for a head.

Creepy mofo’s.
    =======================================================

Potato bug, Jeruselem Cricket, Vinegar beetle.
    No shortage of those here, from Pasadena to Grass Valley.
    Supposedly when they bite you, you get an instant vinegar taste. Fortunately, I don’t know.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    The same GM that biult the Niners went to Seattle and biult the Seahawks so don’t tell me it can’;t

——————-

Guess what .. we dont have Scott McCleoughn and there is not telling if he would be doing a better job with no draft picks last year.. and overpaid players and messed up cap.

There is not situation in the NFL like the Raiders last year. ZERO. NONE.
    ================

We can’t say who McCloughan would have drafted, but we do know he is more qualified than Shreg & probably would have never hired Knapp to run the offense or hire Denise.

Funny nobody talked about the great whiner drafts when Nolan & Singletary were there. They seemed to look a hell of a lot better when Harbaugh got there…hence my biggest gripe with Shreg, hiring Denise.

• Raider Riff

Gdog Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:27 pm

———-

Steve makes great points. And I’ll answer your questions about them Gdog, although I doubt you will listen…

1. The reason Reggie didnt gut this team last year was, as he told people privately, he and the org thought this team had the talent to make a run so he took the gamble.

Had we gone deep into the playoffs, his hope was that he could have kept the core together and fixed our cap issues based on the fact that hometown discounts would have been easier to manage considering we were a team on the upswing.

The feeling that we were a contender was way off the mark. But lets not act like their wasnt merit to it. We all thought we had a good team after our last two 8-8 seasons. We all drank the “blame ChuckyB” koolaid and let the players off the hook and once again it bit us in the a55es.

2. “Too scared to sign big contracts”… really? That is your expert opinion of why we havent GROSSLY OVERPAID during the first few days if free agency? Moron. These early FA signings never work out well for the teams making this marketing splashes. New coaches and flashy FAs sell season tickets. They never guarantee wins.

>>>>

I guess you have to define “grossly over paid.”

The thing that pisses me off isn’t that we didn’t sign any top FA’s… its that we lost BOTH Wheeler, and Bryant. Anyway you twist it, they were two of our better defensive players. He couldn’t come up with the money to sign ONE of them?? What does that say to you?

Here’s what PFF said about the Bryant signing (in case you missed it)

+0.5: Common sense shines through

Desmond Bryant (DT) to CLE: 5-year, $34m deal

If it weren’t for the money involved this would get a higher grade because Bryant is a guy who can really play. He was our sixth ranked defensive tackle last year with the sixth highest pass rushing productivity of all his peers. But he’s more than just a one dimensional pass rusher and held up against the run well too. It’s that all round ability and versatility (he spent most of 2011 at defensive end for the Raiders) which makes him an excellent fit for a Cleveland defense needing someone who can make an impact up front.

——–

Wheeler and Bryant were both not worth the money they signed for. Bryant will be easily replaced.

Name one free agent that we let go of last year that had an impact? I remember the same dust up after JC was let go and Michael Bush. Neither had an impact.

Curry? Where did he end up.

Groves? I didnt see him make a Pro Bowl.

Wimbley? We tried to keep him but in hindsight, letting him go was a good move.

The only miss was letting go of Satele. And he was actually the one guy that most on this board didnt care to lose initially. Go figure.

As for “letting guys go”. Reggie has been pretty good so far.

• R8ER MIKE

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    his roster was full of PRO BOWL players as well as the best MLB in the game..

***

Kirk Morrison played for SF last year??

**************
    lol lol.. and you call me a smart azz !!! lol lol

• ohioraider

raiderguy10 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Bills have a meeting with Geno. Trade back RM – trade back! Milk it for all it’s worth!!
    ———————————–

• NGRaiderfan

306.RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    harbaugh isnt stupid enough to change a good thing…11-5…

—————-

ROMAC? LOL the guy is a scrub. CRABTREE?? he actually catches passes..

=================

the only player on the raiders that u can even debate is better than the guy at the same position on the niners is DMC, and after last year even that is hard to sell. 11-5? ur giving him too much credit.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Reggie is an over matched rube.

The only thing Reggie is good at is making excuses.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• inonewordraider

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Eagles are on the verge of a deal with former Texans pass rusher Connor Barwin

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Hue was 8-8 with the same talent

———————-

WOW 8-8 SUPERBOWL! 8-8 is the worse thing u could be in sports.. average. Stuck in the middle .. horrible draft pic ..with our contracts u would think we would be 11-5

Either be 11-5 or 2-14.. not stuck in the middle. Reggie is trying to build for sustained success.

Not just to get to 8-8 one year and get all horny

• DMAC

Bring in James Anderson Reggie.
    Fits your criteria.

• bcz24

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    35 year old corner…but were “building this the right way…”
    ******************
    He INTERVIEWED a vet free agent. Now you are sh1tting on him for interviewing a player? Yeah I guess Al’s way of calling the agent and offering 40% more than the market value without meeting the guy is way better.

• severeraiderz

Rudegruden Says: March 14th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Question for everybody:If we had Harbaugh as coach instead of DA last year, do you think we would be 4-12? If not, what would be our record?

9-7 or 10-6

• Whoknows

Charlotte vs Richmond what a finish.Charlotte with less than 5 seconds down by 3 gets 8 free throws to win by 5.

• NGRaiderfan

332.Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:54 pm

=============

how is that even possible?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

————————-

believe me. I wanted the Raiders to interview him a year ago.. but they didnt. We have REGGIE. not scott

• rudegruden

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    Hue was 8-8 with the same talent

———————-

Not just to get to 8-8 one year and get all horny

——
    What are you talking about? I just stated a fact. We were 8-8 with the same “horrible” talent. Thats a fact. Sorry, to get you all worked up. Damn.

• DMAC

The only OG I want in the secondary is Winfield.

• raiderfankirk

bcz24 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    ************

———————————
    We don’t know but acting early is the best idea. I trust Mike Lamb. judgement more than Regs at this point.

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Eagles are on the verge of a deal with former Texans pass rusher Connor Barwin

***

wow another “dream team” in Philly, Chip & Howie?

• Raider_D

raiderfankirk Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Priesttj12 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    bcz24 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    ********************
    *****************************

==============================

I agree you want to keep your own talent but what do you do if other teams are overpaying for your talent? You can’t get into a bidding war to keep people here. The ideal situation would have been if these guys were extended before the last year of their contract but since the raiders dont comment on contract talks until theyre done and filed we have no idea what was attempted.

• bcz24

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    BCZ,

Talib??

That dude is a hot mess off the field.

****************
    Talib didn’t have any issues in NE. It was all from his time with TB. That’s also why I said not to give him big guaranteed jack in the contract. Make it all incentives and roster bonuses that he has to be around and productive to get, this way we are protected from the dreaded dead money if he turns back into a giant douche.

• Priesttj12

Riff, You are wrong man. Bryant is well worth $34 over 5 years. That kid is a very solid starter maybe you are right about Wheeler but Bryant was one of the few BRIGHT spots on this defense last year along with Wheeler and others.

bryant was a mistake he should’ve offered that kid a nice contract prior to FA and he would still be here…period

• Whoknows

Severeraiderz Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    Rudegruden Says: March 14th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

9-7 or 10-6
    ***************************
    Harbaugh would have had us in the playoffs.
    He would of done it Hue’s year too.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

———————-

aint nobody worked up.. thats just the reality of it. ppl are getting all crazy cuz Reggie released DHB? HUFF?? Really.. Oh no he hasnt gone after any big FA’s..

• The_Judge37

Let’s be real, we all just assume/hope Reggie knows how to build a team. But he’s never done this before.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Rudegruden Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    harbaugh isnt stupid enough to change a good thing…11-5…

—————-

ROMAC? LOL the guy is a scrub. CRABTREE?? he actually catches passes..

——-
    Hue was 8-8 with the same talent

=========

He can’t bring that argument to the “No talent” crowd. It’s too logical.

• aig-raiders

Congrats to SJackson. A good guy and good player stuck on a really bad team for years. Amazing he got so much production when he was the only weapon.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

How did that high PAY ROLL workout for Anaheim last year ?? how about them Rangers??

got smashed by the A’s..

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The Raiders roster would look so much better if Al was still alive.

• Whoknows

NGRaiderfan Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    332.Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:54 pm

=============

how is that even possible?
    ********************************************
    Some questionable fouls and a couple of techs

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

He can’t bring that argument to the “No talent” crowd. It’s too logical.

————————

talent vs production. the two ends are not the same. I wish 10 million dollar contract meant production. 4 the raiders it doesnt