Maiava’s brief chat with local media

Here’s what recently signed linebacker Kaluka Maiava had to say during a brief conference call with the local media Thursday:

Q: Talk about how this all transpired, did Raiders show intersest as soon as free agency started, etc . . .
Maiava: Everything went (through) my agent. We had a few teams interested, the Raiders scheduled an interview really quick, they were the first ones to schedule one, so I took the trip. Coming into it, I always grew up a Raiders fan, and being from the islands, always watched the Raiders and San Fran games so they’re definitely a team I was familiar with and my ears definitely perked up when my agent told me about Oakland being interested. I came in with high hopes and fortunately we got a deal done and I’m very excited about it.

Q: What do you bring to the table for the Raiders? What are they getting?
Maiava: I’m a hard-nosed guy, man. I come to work every day and I lead by example. I’m not the rah-rah guy giving the speeches and stuff. I lead by example and I come to work every day and I’ll play hard. I’ll go to war with anybody and I’m sure my teammates will appreciate that. I’m a tough guy and I pride myself on being one of the tougher players, and I’m here to work. So hopefully everything works out in that aspect.

Q: You play 3-4, more comfortable in 4-3, any talks about your role?
Maiava: They haven’t really talked about scheme-wise and the details of what I’m going to be doing. I’m just we got the business part out of the way and now when we come back we can work on actual football. I’ll play anything. Whatever the coaches need me to do, whatever it takes to win, I’ll play whatever spot they need me at.

Steve Corkran

• hwnrdr

303.Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    Ok, is there any proof that Reggie fired Hue? Wasn’t it mentioned that Mark said that was his first job was to fire Hue? geez…
    ****************************
    “This decision centered around my wanting to bring my own guy in,”

Oh ok…smh, wow guys! So, his blow up at the end of the year had NOTHING to do with that! Sorry guys, I know its hard to get in the NFL with only 32 jobs open, but geez…calm down! And if you guys still think that Hue was that good of a coach, the Harbaugh of the Oakalnd Raiders…

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    Hue was 8-8 with the same talent

———————-

WOW 8-8 SUPERBOWL! 8-8 is the worse thing u could be in sports.. average. Stuck in the middle .. horrible draft pic ..with our contracts u would think we would be 11-5

Either be 11-5 or 2-14.. not stuck in the middle. Reggie is trying to build for sustained success.

Not just to get to 8-8 one year and get all horny

========

No but I remember what happened after the last guy who went 8-8 for 2 straight years. I’d rather have an 8-8 building block than a 4-12 building block. It generates higher morale amongst the organization I’d say.

Yeah, Scott Pioli and Josh McDaniels “tried” building for sustained success too. Doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen.

• bcz24

bryant was a mistake he should’ve offered that kid a nice contract prior to FA and he would still be here…period
    *********
    Again, how do you know we DIDN’T????

I know where you are coming from Priest, you value the players Al drafted more than anyone not named Al Davis. That is commendable. You try to see the best in just about every shmo on the roster. Come one though, whos the last guy we let go of that went on to be productive in his next stop? Des may like up to that $34 mill, but the odds are seriously against it.

• hwnrdr

Ok, I will give you guys that he hired Allen and signed off on him hiring back Krapp

• realtruraider

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Cary Williams had declined Ravens’ three-year, $15 million contract offer last year. Now, he moves on as a starter in Philadelphia

Retweeted by Steve Corkran

——————

No way he would have came here.. unless we had Al and he threw a 3yrs 30 million dollar contract at him

——————————————————

LOL, yeah because the Eagles have ben so much better than us the last few years. Its all about the money and in his case a chance to start, which he wasn’t gtting with Ravens

• raiderfankirk

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    The Raiders roster would look so much better if Al was still alive.

————————–
    Yes it would!!!!!

• The_Judge37

——-

Well, the Eagles do have a respected Head Coach.

• Whoknows

************************************
    Harbaugh>Hue>My Dog>DA
    If Reggie would have listened to Hue’s rant he would have known the “lack of talent” he had.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Asher Mathews ‏@AsherMathews

#Raiders have no RB behind DMC at this point and they saw RB Deonte Williams run a 4.52 40 at Cal-Poly’s pro day today. Seems possible

• Priesttj12

Since Reggie has been here we have purged young bright talent that others have jumped all over as soon as they were let go or traded for becaue they valued them more than we did.

Bruce Campbell, Joe Barksdale, DVD, Louis Murphy, Des Bryant, Mike Bush and a few others that aren’t coming to mind. I cannot name one of those players who have been successfully replaced since being let go.

All very young and talented who just needed a chance. Now we have to use draft picks to replace what we already had. When all we needed to do was add to them and develope them further.

That is an entire years drafts to correct a problem HE created.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

————————-

truth hurts

• realtruraider

inonewordraider Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    Connor was a fine reserve that played multiple positions for the Cowboys. He wound up starting eight games because of injuries in front of him in 2012, but he didn’t fit the team’s new 4-3 defense under coordinator Monte Kiffin.

____________
    sign we’re moing to 3-4?

—————————————————–

Actually he got exposed when he had to start for a length of time and Jerry asked him to take a paycut or get cut, well he didn’t want to take a paycut so………. plus he couldn’t of ben making much as a backup anyway, that tells ya what they thought of him I guess

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

=========

Fu**king up the HC hire is pretty big no? That’s why he better show something this draft or be gone. I think he knows it too.

BTW, I heard he WAS the one that wanted Knapp hired.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

————————

ya with no cap space

• Dakota

Did we at least sign some warm bodies today?

• hwnrdr

Here’s the thing…bring in all the flashy FA out there. Put them all on one team. Ok, what now? We have tried that before how many times. Only to fail! We need a coach that can deal with the different “Me” personalities and make them a TEAM! Right now, with Allen, we don’t have that! Hence, Reggie’s approach of getting in good character guys and players that WANT to play football and not just cash a check!

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Priesttj12 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

That is an entire years drafts to correct a problem HE created.

==========

You nailed it with that last sentence.

• raiderfankirk

realtruraider Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Retweeted by Steve Corkran

——————

——————————————————

—————————————-
    Eagles would have been in the running if not for the o line injuries.

• Whoknows

Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    ***************************************
    Point is if he had the judgement to do that, how is everyone so sure he will build us a champ through the draft? Which of GB’s picks were his exactly?

• severeraiderz

Whoknows Says: March 14th, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    Severeraiderz Says:March 14th, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    Rudegruden Says: March 14th, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    Question for everybody:If we had Harbaugh as coach instead of DA last year, do you think we would be 4-12? If not, what would be our record?

9-7 or 10-6

***************************
    Harbaugh would have had us in the playoffs.He would of done it Hue’s year too.

////////////////

I agree, but Hue last year and the previous year, with his own staff has us in the playoffs

• R8derdiehard

Wow miners get boldin and are talking bout getting asomuah and we get a Cleveland brown drop out sweet. :/

• J Hill

Bruce Campbell, Joe Barksdale, DVD, Louis Murphy, Des Bryant, Mike Bush

————————————————————

LMFAO

• Priesttj12

Oh yes I would add DHB to that list and maybe even Mike Huff if you go to them with solid plans they have confidence in that will work. That is a helluva lot of talent we let go.

Instead he keeps Seymour, TKand other aging players though talented make too much money and are on the downside of their careers. just to go get some more TRASH!!

• hwnrdr

358.Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:04 pm
    ************************************
    Harbaugh>Hue>My Dog>DA

LOL..ok, that made me laugh… My dog>DA…lol, but hey you are probably right!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I will give u WIMBLEY was pretty upset when we got rid of him.

But that Palmer and Curry trade fugged up the cap..

• severeraiderz

Whoknows Says: March 14th, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    Hwnrdr Says:March 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    ***************************************

////////////////

The one’s on the Oakland roster lol

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

If Reggie would have just let the Offense & ST’s stay along with keeping the coaches in place there, then he could put ALL his effort into fixing the defense and we would be MUCH better off than this constant anxiety his ego gave us.

• The_Judge37

Dakota Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    Did we at least sign some warm bodies today?
    —–

Inactivity from Reggie is turning out not to be a bad thing.

• hwnrdr

369.Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    ***************************************

Well, we’ll see…if DA starts off slow, and Reggie fires him, I’ll give him a pass!

• mcskinnnylegs

yo fellas check my tweet to phillip wheeler.u like?

Rasta-Raider‏@rastaraider1
    @Philgood50 have fun getting exposed by tom brady! #overpaid

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    ***************************************

===========

2nd that.

• mcskinnnylegs

lmao I shoulda been a comedian

• Priesttj12

J Hill Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    Bruce Campbell, Joe Barksdale, DVD, Louis Murphy, Des Bryant, Mike Bush

————————————————————

LMFAO
    ****************************
    Jhill name one player he’s brought in better than them, then laugh…….all we did is get worseat least we had them and they were developing.

• raiderfankirk

Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    Hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    ***************************************

——————————-
    None. All Ted’s. Samething as saying Knapp was Huston’s OC when he was a f’n QB coach. I got hope for this years OC, but he’s down jack shight as well.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I will say this. Im just trying to put a positive spin on all of this. WE ARE STUCK WITH REGGIE.

Its sad watching the AL DAVIS life and them showing that last Texans game at the end of the DOCUMENTARY. WE had something good going on.. and before PALMER came.

im talking with JCampbell as our Qb and all the WR’s loving him.. dmac.. balling.. WIMBLEY creating pressure.. HUFF INT at the end.

That team will never be the same

• Whoknows

Harbaugh>Hue>My Dog>DA

LOL..ok, that made me laugh… My dog>DA…lol, but hey you are probably right!
    **********************************************
    Truth be told I wish we could find a receiver who could catch like him. If old Zeke could get his mouth around a football I’d let Reggie sign him for 1-year at %50 off.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

and dont get it twisted.. im not a fan of DA yet.. he hasnt proven jack shiz.. he is still a buck PRIVATE as far as im concerned

• edward teach

Raider Riff Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    Does anyone else find it funny how many seem to think we are 20-25 million under the cap right now?

Heck, I even read one respected semi try telling us that we were 50 million under the cap.

********************************************************

That might have been me with the 50 million figure. I was speaking about the (reported) estimated cap situation for next year though, not this year’s.

It’s an estimate, and I realize it’s a fluid situation. I was just making the point that Reggie is clearing cap space for the future and if the estimate is anywhere close to accurate, it appears as if that’s exactly what’s going on.

• hwnrdr

Bruce Campbell, nah
    Joe Barksdale, I would have loved to see him develop
    DVD, cut too soon, IMO
    Louis Murphy, good guy but was replaceable
    Des Bryant, still a ??? there
    Mike Bush, was mad that Al tendered him and didn’t want to come back!

• Just Fire Baby

Bruce Campbell, Joe Barksdale, DVD,

*****************************

Seriously got to be kidding.

Those guys ALL flopped horrendously in the 2011 and/or 2012 preseasons.

They can’t play, and Barksdale even blew off OTA’s to boot.

• J Hill

————————————————————

Love him for that.

I’m the say way in a lot of respects, per Dakota and others.

But I agree with your “Cmon, man”, lol.

I giving the “new way” a real chance. Because they are STILL the Raiders! And McKenzie was a Raider first and foremost, right????

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

From Twitter:

Paul Gutierrez
    “Laughable.” – voice of the #Raiders Greg Papa, on notion of Terrelle Pryor beginning season as @RAIDERS starting quarterback

• Priesttj12

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    ************************************
    Exactly! he has created more problems than he’s fixed by 5 x’s over. he’s not rebiulding he’s running in place or getting further behind. We were better tha KC and Denver before he got here now we’re WORSE!!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Al took fast DVD 3rd round

Seattle took Richard Sherman 5th round.

Dvd cant even tackle

• mcskinnnylegs

cmon no 1 thought that was funny

• realtruraider

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

————————-

truth hurts

—————————————————–

The truth is its all about the MONEY, don’t get it twisted man. If Reggie would of out bid for any of these corners they would be Raiders.

Im not as down on Reggie as some in here, but to blame it on the “no one wants to play here excuse” is only a fkin excuse, as I have said before Im in a wait and see mode on Reggie and obviously he is doing this the “Packer Way”, so lets wait and see, but no need to make excuses for him not signing players because they “don’t want to play here” thats just BS

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

From Twitter:

Paul Gutierrez

—————————–

not as much as Palmer being a starter on this team.

• hwnrdr

386.Whoknows Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    Harbaugh>Hue>My Dog>DA

LOL..ok, that made me laugh… My dog>DA…lol, but hey you are probably right!
    **********************************************

LOL, we even said that the guy who throws frisbees during halftime to his dogs…those dogs had a better catch %age than our receivers!

• NGRaiderfan

394.RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 2:15 pm
    Al took fast DVD 3rd round

Seattle took Richard Sherman 5th round.

Dvd cant even tackle

==============

god…that’s depressing.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

——————-

exactly some are out just to get PAID.. just like WARREN SAPP was.. he didnt give one darn about the Raiders or AL he just lvoed his money even by his own admission.

Thats why he talked crap about the raiders after saying thats why any only ever came to the Raiders. Reggie doesnt want to many guys like that