Raiders at West Virginia pro day; eyeing Smith?

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, March 14th, 2013 at 2:13 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders were one of 29 teams with a representative at the workout of West Virginia players on Thursday.
That fuels speculation that the Raiders are considering West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith with the No. 3 pick in the NFL draft late next month.
Smith is regarded as the top quarterback prospect in this year’s draft, though many draft analysts aren’t certain any of the quarterbacks are worthy of being selected early in the first round.
The Raiders have Carson Palmer and Terrelle Pryor under contract. However, it’s conceivable that the Raiders release or trade Palmer, draft Smith and add a cheaper veteran through free agency.
It’s also possible that the Raiders are showing interest in Smith only as a means of increasing their leverage for a potential deal with a team interested in trading up for the No. 3 pick so that it can be assured of getting Smith.
Smith completed 71.2 percent of his passes for 4,205 yards and 42 touchdowns, while being intercepted only six times in 518 pass attempts.
The Raiders also got a chance to take a long look at West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin, regarded by many as a first-round prospect.
The release of receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey on Tuesday leaves the Raiders thin at that position. Austin is viewed as a potential big-play receiver.

• bcz24

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 4:29 am
    I suspect Kelly & McClain will be released today, then the Raiders will announce the signings of Roach & Newman
    *****************
    We only get to use the June 1st designation on 2 players, and we already used 1 on Michael Huff. If they do have to cut Carson then they are going to want to use that designation on him as well. They aren’t going to ‘reward’ Slo by releasing him into the market when teams are trying to fill out rosters and spend money.

• elraidmanhattan

Morning nation.

Really starting to like these moves, hungry guys with something to prove, Reggie knows what he is doing. And for the mrons out there who think he is here to destroy the team all of you go kick rocks and root for the jaguars.

• Scourge

guest, that makes sense. I don’t think we should bring in VY. I believe it’s either Palmer/Pryor or Geno/Pryor, especially if CP3′s salary is more Raider-friendly.

• edward teach

950.Scourge Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 5:56 am
    edward teach Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 5:50 am

It would be worth seeing us trade him to Philly so we could watch the nuclear meltdown in here, lol.

It would be epic.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ed, you’re right on that! Also, you’re incorrigible!

********************************************************

The Golden Haired Hero debate would pale in comparison.

Priest would have to be hospitalized. Or have a restraining order placed on him by Raider HQ.

• oklahomaRaider18

We got Nick Roach’!!!

• elraidmanhattan

I still would like to trade down add more picks. Now all the analysts are talking geno top 10, Reggie please trade down get picks!

• guest123

I got nothing personal against Pryor. But after seeing Jamarcus Russell throw all those screwballs in the dirt, I’m a little shy about trusting another project QB with questionable accuracy. He honestly doesn’t look like an NFL QB to me and never did.

I’m not rooting against him either. I want to see him ‘look the part’. I don’t root against anyone wearing silver and black. But I don’t see him beating Geno out for day one starter if we draft Geno.

• bcz24

Seattle and Denver have been downright stealing good players this week. If I had to pick today I would have the Donkeys and the Hawks in the Super Bowl. Seattle, on paper of course, looks to be about the best complete football team I have ever seen.

• Just Fire Baby

Also, I don’t want headcase crybabies like VY.

********************************

What kind of fool goes on 60 minutes and says “can’t nobody tell me nothing”?

A fool that takes a 1.8 million loan at 20% during the lockout, to throw a 300K birthday party for himself, then goes bankrupt.

I would like to bring VY in………when he is 45 years old and he can talk to the rookies about not being a grade A buffoon.

• bcz24

I don’t see The Legend beating out Jared Veldheer for opening day starter!

• guest123

Ellerbe was a UDFA that the Ravens got off the scrap heap. They also lost Cory Williams to the Eagles who the Ravens picked up off the practice squad.

Everyone is seriously overvaluing the Ravens players. It’s the system and the coaching and the mix with other vets that make them really good.

• bcz24

^ that was obviously a joke, just in case Mistic or his alter ego Debo come in to point to everyone how its proof positive that I am Hitler reincarnated…

• elraidmanhattan

Love roach in the middle excellent move. I still think defense all the way in this years draft.

• edward teach

957.guest123 Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:00 am

********************************************************

My sentiments exactly.

• bcz24

Ellerbe started 14 games in 4 years, he was drastically overvalued and overpaid. Travis Goethel could look like a stud surrounded by Suggs, Lewis and Kruger with Haloti Ngata in front of him.

• bcz24

Did we actually sign Roach? Haven’t seen anything yet.

• guest123

Seattle got edge rusher Michael Bennett fresh off a 9 sack season for a 1 year $5 million deal. That is criminal.

Why can’t Reggie get in some of that kind of action?

• guest123

bcz24 Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:05 am

^^^^^^^^^^

Very much agree.

• edward teach

966.bcz24 Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:06 am
    Did we actually sign Roach? Haven’t seen anything yet.

********************************************************

Both PFT and BSPN are reporting it from he Chicago Sun-Times.

• Just Fire Baby

Why can’t Reggie get in some of that kind of action?

*****************************

You think anyone with options is going to take that deal with us?

Bennett thought he was worth more, didn’t like his offers, so went on a one year deal where he would get the most face time and then hit the market again next year.

• bcz24

guest123 Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:06 am

Why can’t Reggie get in some of that kind of action?
    *****************
    Truthfully, if I’m an NFL free agent I look at Seattle and see a team primed for a Super Bowl run. I’ll take $5 mill to get a Lombardi and test the FA waters again next year. I won’t take a $5 mill 1 year deal for a rebuilding project.

• Scourge

Anybuddy here from P-man about the state of his llama mama?

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Anyone ever consider it might be Palmer/Smith, not Pryor/Smith?

• oklahomaRaider18

Its on PFT

• bcz24

I think any of the options are open. If they can get anything for Pryor via trade that could happen. I think Palmer/Smith puts us in a predicament because they aren’t really suited to the same offense, however I think Geno is probably more suited to a Palmer style than TP is. Nothing is set in stone at this point, but in todays NFL, if you take a guy #3 overall it’s to be a starter from day 1, not to languish on the bench.

• Al_is_theraiders

lol hungry guys…no wonder reggie took them to ihop….wait till they try and keep up with actual talent…

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

I guess it seems more likely they’re looking to cut/trade Palmer if you add 2 and 2 in regard to them wanting to work out Vince Young, and them thinking of drafting Geno Smith. Both mobile QBs who could back-up in the same system — if they were installing a system around the talents of a mobile strong-armed QB.

• edward teach

973.GG Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:12 am
    Anyone ever consider it might be Palmer/Smith, not Pryor/Smith?

********************************************************

In my opinion, if we take Geno Smith then Pryor is gone. Reggie saw how well it worked to have Rogers sit behind Favre and I think he would do the same with Geno and Palmer.

The upside is that Palmer wouldn’t have to be escorted from the building when Geno was ready, lol. Rogers probably could have played earlier but Favre wouldn’t leave, and being at that time a folk hero in GB, he knew he had the Packers by the balls and could play out his drama for as long as he liked. They still called for Thompson’s head when he finally forced the old drama queen to go.

• bcz24

Except they didn’t draft Rogers until the mid 20s, not at 3

• 00tt00

it will probably be palmer/smith OR pryor/young………when you put it like that the decision looks alot easier

• guest123

Except they didn’t draft Rogers until the mid 20s, not at 3

*********

I don’t think it really matters. Flacco was considered a ‘questionable’ late first round pick by some. Rodgers free fall is still a head scratcher. People are still hung up on the Akili Smith’s and Blaine Gabbert type picks at the top of the first round and overthinking. If Geno fell to 20 and was a stud QB, would it be any less a genius move to draft him than at pick #3?

• edward teach

979.bcz24 Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:21 am
    Except they didn’t draft Rogers until the mid 20s, not at 3

********************************************************

True, which is why it’s a difficult decision. Do you use the third pick in the draft on a kid you’re pretty sure is going to be your QB of the future, let him sit for a year and ignore some pretty gaping holes elsewhere by doing that, or do you go with Palmer for another year and get Pryor ready to take over in 2014?

As I said a little while ago, what Reggie does in the next couple of weeks will tell us all just how he feels about Terrelle Pryor. Responding to a reporter’s
    questions with GM-speak is one thing. Actions are quite another.

• bcz24

No, but like I just said, you don’t draft a guy at #3 overall to sit on the bench and learn. Whoever we pick there has to be a day 1 starter.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

edward teach Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:19 am

973.GG Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:12 am
    Anyone ever consider it might be Palmer/Smith, not Pryor/Smith?

********************************************************

=====

It’s possible Reggie is genuinely trying to ‘win now’ still. The cuts he’s making actual good moves clearing the roster of over-valued under-performing players, and replacing them with players who aren’t cashing checks.

Doing the best he can ‘the packer way’, and the reason he’s constantly filling the CB position with old vets is because the system Allen/Tarver want to run (zone) requires more cerebral wily CBs. Until he can draft and develop others to replace them.

So in that train of thought…i guess it’s possible Reggie knows Palmer gives him the best bet to win games, so seasoned with football experience, understands concepts etc that take years to acquire.

So like you said…Smith ‘his rodgers’ groomed for 2014/15.

It’s possible. I’m a big Pryor fan tho, so I’d be upset if we traded him — especially if he went on and became a very good player elsewhere.

• r8eray

JFB, here’s a Vegas update, just in case you didn’t know!

Assemblyman Joe Hogan (D) is working with a Las Vegas doctor who has been pushing the issue. Dr. Stephen Frye, who calls himself Dr. Pot, has been pushing marijuana legalization.

Voters in two states, Colorado and Washington, decriminalized marijuana possession in November. Lawmakers in Oregon, Hawaii and New Mexico are considering pot legalization measures.

Nevada already allows for medical marijuana use. But patients who have a medical marijuana card have no legal way to obtain it. Sen. Tick Segerblom, D-Las Vegas, has sponsored legislation to create a dispensary system in Nevada!!!!

It looks like you guys might be getting it too!

• Marks hair

Why would WE need a day 1 starter? Grooming a franchise qb wouldnt hurt a bit..

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation!!!
    Was in IT hell for a moment…couldn’t even get to this page!

• r8eray

NFL Network’s Akbar Gbaja-Biamila says the 49ers are in “serious discussions” with both free agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha and free agent S Charles Woodson.

——-

Go ahead…get our sloppy seconds!!!

It seems like the team across the Bay is making a serious push this off season!

• radraider

Nick Roach | OLB Previous Team: Chicago Exp: 6 years

Analysis: Roach has agreed to terms with the Raiders, ESPN Chicago reported Friday. The contract is believed to be for 3-4 years, at $3-$4 million per year.

• Just Fire Baby

If you draft Geno, you got to move Palmer for whatever and play the rookie.

He will get better as the season goes along and so will the team.

And if we can somehow catch a few breaks the first half or so of the season, get a bounce here or there and hover around .500, we will have a fairly exciting end of the season.

And a future.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

I AM WITH BCZ ON THIS ONE IF THERE IS NO TRADE…THERE WILL BE MOVEMENT WITH THE 3RD OVERALL PICK B4 ITS ALL OVER I THINK..

• 303Raider

It’s confirmed, Nick Roach is a Raider!

• 303Raider

We will be trading down and gathering as many picks as possible.

No doubt about it!

• hwnrdr

989.radraider Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:38 am

Nick Roach | OLB Previous Team: Chicago Exp: 6 years

Just seen that! Well, welcome to the Nation Mr. Roach!

• bcz24

303Raider Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 6:42 am
    We will be trading down and gathering as many picks as possible.

No doubt about it!
    *****************
    No doubt? I wouldn’t say that. We have to find a willing trade partner.

• guest123

If we draft Geno, everyone outside of Raiders HQ will assume he will be the day 1 starter. But it’s not earth shattering or ground breaking to make the rookie QB hold a clipboard for a half a season or so. Pryor will get his chance to be the day one starter and audition for a starting role elsewhere if he performs well.

• R8ER MIKE

GOOD MORNING NATION !!
    and my GreenParty brothers !!

• Marks hair

Looks more and more like a 3/4 d. Multiple at least..

• hwnrdr

What’s up Mike?
    new jersey for you…
    Roach!

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

If Reggie traded Palmer and McFadden for 2nds. He wouldn’t need to trade down.

I’d say Reggie would like to draft #3 and acquire a couple 2nds/3rds thru trading players on roster he particularly doesn’t want to keep.

Raiders are high on Lacey btw.