Tough-guy Maiava happy to be a Raider

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, March 14th, 2013 at 10:45 am in Oakland Raiders.

The signing of Kaluka Maiava comes straight out of the Reggie McKenzie-Dennis Allen handbook when it comes to personnel.

For better or worse, Maiava, at a shade under 6-foot tall, would have never got a sniff from the Al Davis Raiders based on his physical profile.

McKenzie and Allen want football players first and foremost. Guys who are big on preparation and short on drama. Maiava qualifies.

“I’m a hard-nosed guy, man. I come to work every day and I lead by example,” Maiava said on a brief conference call before departing the Raiders facility. “I’m not the rah-rah guy giving the speeches and stuff. I lead by example and I come to work every day and I’ll play hard. I’ll go to war with anybody and I’m sure my teammates will appreciate that. I’m a tough guy and I pride myself on being one of the tougher players, and I’m here to work.”

Born in Honolulu, Maiava grew up with a steady diet of watching the Raiders and 49ers on television. The Raiders were the first team to contact him for a visit. ESPN reported Maiava signed a three-year, $6 million contract.

“When my agent said the Raiders were interested, my ears definitely perked up,” Maiava said.

Maiava said a specific role wasn’t discussed. He played primarily in a 3-4 defense in Cleveland and the Raiders were predominantly a 4-3 team last season. Allen has said repeatedly scheme will be determined by the roster, and the Raiders are still in the early stages of building defensive personnel.

“I’m just we got the business part out of the way and now when we come back we can work on actual football,” Maiava said. “I’ll play anything. Whatever the coaches need me to do, whatever it takes to win, I’ll play whatever spot they need me at.”

• J Hill

Its way to early to be eating hot links

————————————————————-

It’s summer time, bruh!

Fire up the grill!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

Should be zero in a row if Donkeys did not blow coverage on fluke long bomb that even Teblow could have completed.

************************************

Uhh….he evaded this guy named Von Miller, maybe you heard of him, than threw a ball 65 yards in the air perfectly on stride, on the road, in 10 degree weather.

There isn’t another person on the planet who could make that throw.

• DutchRaider77

The_Judge37 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:58 am
    neilb Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:57 am
    We should be talking to the niners to trade picks.
    ——-

And offer what, Coye Francise
    _____________________________________________________

#3 pick? Do you think they have their eyes on Star L., NT? (If his ticker checks out?)

Yeah, don’t understand the Glenn Dorsey signing by the 9ers?

• edward teach

144.Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    DMAC Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:30 am
    Free agent DT Corey Williams left his visit in Oakland without a deal.
    It remains unclear why the Raiders continue to bring in older, declining free agents. After blowing up their roster, the time to rebuild through youth is now. Williams is entering his age-33 season and well into his decline phase.
    Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter

=======================================

Amazing how Tafur doesn’t get it, but most of us on here do: Reggie’s signing old guys to be placeholders for the young talent he’ll be drafting in the next few years.

********************************************************

You have to hope the guy’s smarter than that and he’s just trying to generate discussion.

It would really be a head-scratcher if he believed what he was saying.

• Gdog

please idiot

try a little fact check before you spout off

take your pff ratings and shove’em up your azz

feel free to apologize than shut the fugg up

>>>>

If so, it sure didn’t hurt his stats any.

And if you don’t like their stats… the three top rated cumulative PFF stats were SF, NE, and Den. Bottom two were Jax, and Ariz.

Just a coincidence to you, right??

• NGRaiderfan

131.Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:28 am
    Flacco took a 5-11 Ravens team that won one playoff game in 7 years, to a playoff win every year and a Super Bowl last year.

Should be two in a row if his “extradionaire” team had either caught the world class ball he threw to Lee Evans or his kicker could make a 30 yard FG in 2011.

Great players play their best in the biggest moments.

That has been exactly Joe Flacco, and many times on the road to boot.

Top 10 NFL PLAYER, top 3 QB right now.

=========

no way. it goes both ways. if boldin doesn’t make that ridiculous catch on 3rd down against the niners they probably lose that game. If jacoby jones doesn’t make a great play on the horribly underthrown pass and score a TD, or return a kickoff for a td, they don’t win that game. flacco played lights out, but jacoby jones could have easily been the mvp of that game.

and what good is how good you do in the playoffs when you don’t make the playoffs? they lost 4 of their 6 best defensive players, they might be losing 5 of their top 7. they are losing their most reliable receiver, and most likely their starting LT. They also aren’t replacing these people as of right now.

he is a career 55.5% completions in the playoffs. he didn’t make the big mistake this year in the playoffs, because he didn’t have to his defense played lights out. He is yet to show me that he can carry a team for a full season and into the playoffs. and by signing that big contract baltimore is going to have a hard time finding ppl to put around him to be successful.

If ed reed, mckinnie, and cary williams leave, Baltimore wont make the playoffs this year. u can quote me on that.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:33 am

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:28 am

Great players play their best in the biggest moments.

That has been exactly Joe Flacco, and many times on the road to boot.

Top 10 NFL PLAYER, top 3 QB right now.

***********************************

This sounds like those clowns on ESPN years ago talking about Vince Young. He has awesome running game, blocking and defense and plays an average game and they win in spite of him and what do they say. “That Vince Young – he just wins games.”

==============

stop with the excuses

“if” is worhtless

what actually did happen is flacco went deep and beat the broncs then won the superbowl.

you cant blame the defense for giving up the td with out crediting the qb /wr for making the play

“if’ the last refuge for palmer worshipers

• 1960AutumnWind

JFB

So do you think they will repeat then since they have the next Joe Montana/John Elway all rolled into one? I think they will have a hard time winning a playoff game next year.

• SilverNBlackPA

With Keenan Lewis soon to be off the mark (Schefter says Saints are closing in) I hope the Raiders give Cary Williams a long look.

Apparently they were in on Sean Smith too so Reggie’s clearly looking for CB help beyond Terence Newman. Williams would be a good choice and come cheaper anyway.

• Charlie

Sir Raider

I do not think we will sign anyone over 30.

It really is a waste of time and hurts us if injuries hit.

The experiences we have had with Sapp, Moss, Seymour,Spencer, Bartell, Walker etc. etc. says it all. Though we would not even consider big money it is still a waste to have guys go down in camp then scramble for everyone’s last cut casualties. (Like we had to do last year).

Sign guys that have a good chance to finish the season and contribute.

• 1960AutumnWind

You started with the “if” with the Lee Evans drop. WRs drop balls all the time. Just ask Carson Palmer with D. Moore and Streeter being two of the worst at it. Ask Tom Brady in the Previous superbowl.

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:32 am

Going into 2013, I would rather have Aaron Rodgers than Flacco, but I don’t think anyone else at QB.

He just went into Denver and NE and was CLEARLY a way better player than Brady and Manning. Age has a lot to do with that, I would rather have those guys at 28 than Flacco at 28, but that’s not the argument.

Stared down the 49ers fierce pass rush and threw some darts with the Super Bowl on the line.

>>>

He sure made the Raiders look stupid.

I’d take Flacco over anyone on a dream team. Plays best in the clutch? Thats what Montana did.

Weird to be agreeing with JFB!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Gdog Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:36 am

please idiot

try a little fact check before you spout off

take your pff ratings and shove’em up your azz

feel free to apologize than shut the fugg up

>>>>

If so, it sure didn’t hurt his stats any

__________

dumbazz

he didnt play as many snaps as other dbs that helped his stat line

You took issue with me saying he was demoted and accuse me of making things up

When the truth is you are going off a pff stat and knew nothing about what has been happening to him in minny. YOU DIDNT KNOW WHAT THE FUGG YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT!

Lol

gdog…….EXPOSED!!!!!!

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:36 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:58 am
    neilb Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:57 am
    We should be talking to the niners to trade picks.
    ——-

And offer what, Coye Francise
    _____________________________________________________

Yeah, don’t understand the Glenn Dorsey signing by the 9ers?

=====================================================

Just thinking they have a few holes and lots of draft picks – we don’t have enough picks and more holes than the Iraq navy.

• SilverNBlackPA

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:32 am

+++++++++

Co-sign. Flacco owns.

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:33 am

132.R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:28 am
    DMAC Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:26 am
    I think Reggie signs Roach 2day.

***********************
    i know i will smoke a roach in less then 2 hours !!!

Buwahahaha! You know, pretty soon I may have to join you guys! Well…maybe not! :)
    =======

Peer pressure!
    I’ll get you high at 1 game this season
    You may need it to ease the pain brother
    lol

• Just Fire Baby

************************************

LOL

I’ll give you 2 to 1 odds.

Only way they don’t make the playoffs, is if he gets hurt.

McKinnie’s garbage man, and Oher isn’t much better. Their O-line ranked worse than ours in pass-protection.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:39 am

=============

I didnt breaking wind

if is for losers

• 1960AutumnWind

Sorry JFB on the if thing I thought you said that but predictably it was a Mystic comment.

• NGRaiderfan

152.Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:35 am

************************************

There isn’t another person on the planet who could make that throw.

=============

more like there isn’t another safety in the nfl that would make that boneheaded a play in that situation. most qbs can make that throw. the ball only went 50 yds jones ran the other 20. and its not like von miller had him and he got away. the OT forced miller to go super high and wide and flacco just stepped up in the pocket. thats was good qbs do, that doesn’t put him in elite company. it was more of a huge mistake by denver than a great play by flacco. pretty much everyone knows that.

• hwnrdr

Were you guys mad that Flacco made that throw to Jones at the end of regulation to force OT and Peyton throwing that ill advised pass that was intercepted and put the #1 Donkeys, who just had an 11 game win streak, out of the playoffs?

• Charlie

Wind is correct as usual.

Football is the ultimate team game and Flacco made plays that he was supposed to make.

Yes he is a good QB surrounded by very good talent.
    Brady, Peyton, Ben, Eli etc. have all looked very average when their protection breaks down or they have to become one dimensional and pass all the time.

We need to do the same for our QB.(Palmer or Pryor)

• Gdog

>>>

Clarification: Of CURRENT players at current ages.

• Just Fire Baby

***************************************

I think they will win the division, and be a tough out in the playoffs.

Teams rarely repeat, so I bet they lose a nail-biter in AFC championship game.

• DutchRaider77

Right now:

Is Joe Flacco a better QB than Ray Rice is a RB?

Gotta give some love to Ray Rice in that offense…

• edward teach

160.Charlie Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:38 am
    Sir Raider

I do not think we will sign anyone over 30.

It really is a waste of time and hurts us if injuries hit.

Sign guys that have a good chance to finish the season and contribute.

********************************************************

What if the older guy is better?

Reggie’s not building on the older guys, he’s place-holding until we can fill those slots with guys that will be here awhile.

AND, he’s being extra conservative with the cap right now so that he can keep the guys he likes that are already here when they are up for new deals. Like Veldheer and Houston, for example.

• DT42

Exhibit A as to why the entire “we are in trouble with the cap excuse” is total BS:

” As a practical matter, it’s a three-year, $37 million deal, with a year-to-year option on the remainder.

By 2016, the question will become whether Wallace’s performance justifies an investment of $11.45 million in cash — especially since cutting him would cost only $4.4 million against the cap.

The low cap number in 2013 gives Miami plenty of additional room to maneuver as the team attempts to improve its performance and generate excitement in South Florida.”

So the Dolphins can manipulate the Cap but the Raiders can’t? Al used to renegotiate every year with his players but everyone here is buying the argument that its the Cap’s fault?

The San Antonio Spurs used to do this when they had Red McCombs as the team owner. They blamed the Cap all the time as to why they couldn’t bring in talent. Then new ownership drafted well and brought in talent to enhance the team and brought in a coach that knew what he was doing and that turned things around. And they put the focus on winning.

Everyone here is assuming that Reggie can draft well and that the Packer way is going to save the franchise.

Brett Farve saved the Packers and they traded for him. Reggie White saved that franchise and they paid a ton for him in free agency. stop drinking the Koolaid and buying the BS that they are throwing at us.

• 1960AutumnWind

Mystic

Sorry for getting you mixed up with JFB. He used “if” regarding Lee Evans then you used the “if” against me because I came back to him because I thought he was using the if arguement against me after just using it for Baltimore.

• hwnrdr

166.DMAC Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:41 am
    hwnrdr Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:33 am

132.R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:28 am
    DMAC Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:26 am
    I think Reggie signs Roach 2day.

***********************
    i know i will smoke a roach in less then 2 hours !!!

Buwahahaha! You know, pretty soon I may have to join you guys! Well…maybe not!
    =======

Peer pressure!
    I’ll get you high at 1 game this season
    You may need it to ease the pain brother
    lol

LOL

• dorian gray

jarvis jones has that potential to be a A defensive player. problem- lazy at times. risky first round pich that tight hair mel kiper wont tell ya

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

I like Flacco too, but one thing that helped him outplay his opposing QBs is his teams defense and pass rush. There are two different versions of Brady:

- The one that takes a leisurely stroll back from center, stops to spot a hot babe in the stands, waits for Welker to compete his triple move and then cross the middle, then lobs one either his way or to Gonzo that waited for the seas to part after 5 seconds of coverage.

- The one that faces a good pass rush early, takes a few hits, and then starts trying to deliver everything off of 3 step drops for 3 yard gains.

I much prefer the latter version as it exposes Brady for his limitations. The guy has enjoyed what quite possibly will have been the longest run of way above average pass blocking of any QB ever in the NFL. Hats of to Belicheat for making that happen.

Flacco is more versatile and keeps his game level up in the face of a rush. When he’s in a game where both teams’ defenses are getting good pressure, he’s got the edge of over the old and immobile ones.

• dorian gray

living here in memphis tenn. sec football is all on my radar. and we need to draft alabamas entire defense. lol

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:44 am

Mystic

=============

jfb loves “if”

replace “if’ with peter pan fantasy land

• NGRaiderfan

167.Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:41 am

************************************

LOL

I’ll give you 2 to 1 odds.

Only way they don’t make the playoffs, is if he gets hurt.

==============

r u serious with that last statement. Everyone knows, and it was even said by almost any nfl analyst who covered it, that installing bryant mckinnie at LT and moving Oher to RT is what changed the ravens offense. it was the difference. Flacco played against freeney and mathis, miller and dumerville, and aldon smith and barely got touched the whole playoff run. u allow any decent qb to sit back like that and they will pick a defense apart.

you’re really going to argue that out of brady, both mannings, rodgers, brees, and ryan that flacco is better than 4 of them? hahaha keep dreaming the defense carried them hs whole career, including this years playoffs. they shut out the nomber one scoring team in the second half of the afc championship. have fun with a depleted defense.

• dorian gray

cory williams is a slightly better desmond bryant wit longer arms and more gut , & less stupidity. i wouldnt pay him big money.

• Charlie

JFB

There you go again.

Citing meaningless stats that are impacted by so many variables that they are totally worthless from a comparison perspective.

Pass protection is a good one.

We play the Ravens WITHOUT NGATA AND LEWIS. Think that helped our pass protection that day????

The Ravens pummelled us 55-20. Game over in the 2nd QTR and you think we pass protect better than Baltimore???

You are kidding your self.

• DMAC

dorian gray Says:
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:48 am

======

He’s already left the building w/out a contract

• Gdog

>>>>

If so, it sure didn’t hurt his stats any

__________

dumbazz

he didnt play as many snaps as other dbs that helped his stat line

>>>>

That makes him even BETTER!

Do you have a clue how PFF does their ratings? Its play by play, player by player. If a person isn’t on the field they cannot get a positive point.

If he isn’t on the field but is contantly ringing up positive points, that means he is doing something special.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Raiders… ya know PLAY MAKERS that Cork keeps eluding to?

At any rate… I am not arguing with you, the IQ VACUUM.

Whats the Twain quote? “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

• dorian gray

my dream draft tho.. draft werner or star L. trade second round pick to pats for ryan mallet.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

all of htis talk about ‘what helped flacco” is useless

no man can win alone, but flacco made huge plays all throught the playoffs.

Give him credit.

I remember when brad johnosn won the superbowl nobody wanted o credit him yet he touches the ball on every snap.

perhaps his career wasnt elite , but for one season and during that playoff run he was very good, and had to be to win it all.

Some qbs just get no love no matter what they do, yet the same people would bash them if they blow the game

• Just Fire Baby

The ball traveled 65 yards in the air, this is well documented.

Youtube it if you must. Into the wind as well (same direction on the field when Peyton threw the game-sealing INT).

One of the greatest throws in the history of football. I’ve never seen one better.

• DMAC

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter that owner Bob McNair and Texans officials picked up Ed Reed in McNair’s private plane before Thursday’s free-agent visit.
    Typically when private planes are involved, teams get their man. We saw it once already with the Bucs and Dashon Goldson. The Texans have made the playoffs in back-to-back years, have a safety need, and just enough money for one free-agent splash. They’d play Reed at free, with Danieal Manning at strong safety.
    Related: Texans

• 1960AutumnWind

Mystic

By the way I am no Palmer worshiper.

1. I did not like the trade when it was done.

2. I have been on record saying he should get a paycut

However, I do think if we are going to eat over 9 million in cap just to cut him and if he costs 15 million in cap to keep him, I do not know what we would get for 6 million in garunteed money this year. Add to the fact that he is a good fit for what the new OC is going to do and the fact that he is a good mentor for TP I think a transition year with lots of packages for TP are in order to find out what we have with TP and if positive ease TP into a starting role instead of throwing him in there too fast.

I know we disagree on that but I still don’t get the Palmer worshiper thing. Also I do point up when people are necessarily unfair to Palmer regarding the crap he had to deal with this year from Knapp and the musical chair of WRs. Even his favorite target is getting like no looks on the FA market so far. I think that tells you something but all you look at are wins and losses (at least when it is convientient for you to do so). Teams not QBs win and lose games – this is not golf or tennis.

• SilverNBlackPA

+++++++++++

Pretty sure he was talking about the overall grade for the entire season the two lines received not just head to head

• Just Fire Baby

******************************************

Stats have variables involved man, either they all count for something or nothing then.

You can’t pick and choose which ones you want.

OK, so no comparision, Ravens rated out as the 23rd ranked pass protecting unit.

Better?

• DMAC

Flacco is a gamer…….
    In the playoffs where it counts most

• dorian gray

if yall continue to type about the ravens and their issues. ima type about movies . sooo.. i watched that Oz the great & powerful and thought it was rather funny. well done but fell flat at the end. also Snitch was a dang good movie. Les miserables was overrated but mildly entertaining.

• raiderguy10

>>>>

If so, it sure didn’t hurt his stats any

__________

dumbazz

he didnt play as many snaps as other dbs that helped his stat line

>>>>

That makes him even BETTER!

Do you have a clue how PFF does their ratings?
    =============

gdog stop your squirming

you tried to correct me and you were wrong as usual

you dindt know he was demoted

he was demoted because he is getting old and doesnt have it like he used to

you are embarrassing yourself

grab the hot sauce gdog, it will make your foot taste better

• dorian gray

i cant wait till game of thrones starts back up. spartacus & walking dead have been holding me over…. err.. are we running a 3-4 next season ?