1,165

Q&A with Raiders LB Nick Roach

A transcription of a conference call with the local media and linebacker Nick Roach, signed Friday:

Q: How quickly did this all come about? Did you entertain offers from any other teams?

Roach: It was really just the Raiders and the Bears, obviously, what it came down to. I came out on the visit and we were just in position to gauge the Bears’ interest back and forth, and taking all things into consideration, it seemed like Oakland was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up.

Q: Your understanding you’ll be playing middle linebacker?

Roach: The kind of just said they see me being able to do a lot of things that they want to do, so specifically the middle, I’m not sure if that will be the case. I think they kind of want to just get me in and see wherever the best fit is for everybody that they bring in.

Q: Took over last season for Brian Urlacher and got a good taste of what it feels like to be a middle linebacker, what is it you like about the position?

Roach: Obviously, you’re on the field a lot. You’re in the middle of everything and get to a lot of plays that maybe if you’re on the outside you can’t get all the way across the field to get to. Just being in the mix, I enjoy that. I enjoy being in the game and having to know the situations and all the adjustments that go along with it. Just the whole thing.

Q: How much did it help for you in terms of proving versatility, playing both spots?

Roach: It was huge. You don’t even know yourself that you can do something until you have a chance to really do it. It was big for being able to get the film out there and just for the confidence of feeling like your versatility is really worth something.

Q: What intrigued you about opportunity in Oakland?

Roach: It’s just exciting, the whole culture of the organization, that in my mind is on the upswing, and being able to come in and add to that, hopefully, is something to look forward to, I think.

Q: How much did playing with guys like Urlacher and Briggs help you develop into player you are today?

Roach: It’s been great. Those guys are friends of mine, and more importantly they’re great examples of how to be a pro, how to be successful at the highest level. Kind of being behind them and next to them for the last few years has really helped. Just kind of watching, leadership by example, what it looks like

Q: Raiders have been clear last two years they’re looking guys who are serious about football, love it, not a lot of drama, guys who want to play . . . does that sum you up?

Roach: Yeah, I think so. I think there are a lot of guys like that, the guys that are under the radar. You won’t make it for long in the NFL if you don’t really love it because you won’t have the motivation to do all the things that it takes. It’s just exciting to be able to get in and get to learn everything, and go from there.

Q: Any concerns as far as Raiders being in a rebuilding mode?

Roach: Honestly it didn’t really cross my mind. I was just, I guess that’s an opinion some people might have, but my concern was getting a chance to meet the coaches and just kind of see where they saw me fitting in, and if the situation seemed like the best for me and my family.

Q: See yourself as a guy that’s going to come in and take over as a leader with a lot of enthusiasm, or more of a guy who prepares and you lead that way?

Roach: I’m not a huge rah-rah guy or anything. I think I’m able to lead by example with the daily things, taking care of your body, study the opponent, that kind of stuff. I’m going to continue to do that and if that translates to the field it will be a good example.

Q: Won Ed Block Courage award, what does that mean to you?

Roach: Kind of what it says to me is you’re able to earn the respect of your teammates and your locker room. It’s obviously a huge honor, when you can get an award that’s voted on strictly by the guys that you play with, so we’re excited to go out there tomorrow and spend a couple days with the community and seeing what the whole award really is about in person.

Q: Gotten a feeling that having that award meant something to the organization?

Roach: Honestly, I’m not sure. I’m sure it kind of was, I guess you could call it a resume-builder kind of thing. It’s always good to have the label that says you’re respected by your teammates in the locker room that you’re in. I’m sure that might have been a consideration.

Q: When you came in to the league as undrafted free agent, was your approach just making it day-by-day, or with a chip in your shoulder, confident you would make it?

Roach: For me, it was just about, whatever opportunity was in front of me I would try to take advantage of it, I was ecstatic when I made the practice squad in San Diego. I didn’t really feel slighted or feel I deserved anything more than what the opportunity had presented at that time. It was just the daily things that kind of led up to this point where I was able to get a chance to play and produce a little bit.

Q: Last season Philip Wheeler came in here, having played Cover 2 in Indy, was able to be a play-maker after mostly falling into coverage for Colts. You played in Bears Cover 2, you think this system might allow you to spread your wings a little, do more things?

Roach: Yeah, I’m not sure yet. We haven’t had enough time to go that in depth on it. But it is a little bit different and I’ll be able to, I guess, use a little bit more versatility in terms of just football-playing ability. But I think in my time in Chicago, I fit that scheme pretty well, too. So to say that I’ll be able to do anything more or less, I’m not sure yet.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• 00tt00

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    Not much interest in Long because he isn’t very good.

His LT days are toast, he bombed there, and now wants to be an overpaid RT.

Good luck with that Jake

====================================

Also part of the reason why Parcells never got another GM gig after Miami. THIS was what he spent the #1 pick in the draft on.
    ==========================
    you guys are both crazy……long is still a top LT and is going to get paid……parcells took long and with sparano took the team from 1 win to 10-11 wins……….the reason parcells never got another GM gig is the guy is semi retired……he doesnt want the day-to-day grind a HC or GM has to go through because the guy is over 70 years old

• r8eray

How’d you like that last second 3-pointer??

Nationally televised too?

We got this JFB!!

;)

• willy91137

11 men on offense

11 men on defense

The best 22 players you can get and IF they lose it the quarterbacks fault RIGHT

• 00tt00

Twocents Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    Let’s see, Mark Davis asked McKenzie to become the GM of a franchise that had no players, no draft picks and no money. McKenzie said OK, no problem. Give me four years and I’ll turn this POS around.
    That is a man with balls and most of you don’t get it.
    =========================
    it would have taken balls to turn down the opportunity…there are only 32 of those positions in the world

• Just Fire Baby

long is still a top LT and is going to get paid……

******************************

I think PFF ranked him worse than Khalif Barnes.

He is nowhere near as good as Veldheer.

• Just Fire Baby

Ray,

You can’t hang with our bigs.

Kirk is going to take over the 2nd half!!!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Right. And the one year they had a defense that “loser” Palmer was 10-6 and in the playoffs.
    ————————–
    And promptly lost.
    ======================================

Right. And tell me all the superstars on that 09 Bunghole team again?

• r8eray

One word…

BENNETT!

• ohioraider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Point is, you get a young exciting young QB, people will come play for him.

Some over the hill, pocket QB who never wins? Not so much.
    ————————–
    You’re fired, baby. If Reggie drafts Geno Smith it will only be to trade down.

• Plunketthead

r8eray Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    How’d you like that last second 3-pointer??

Nationally televised too?

We got this JFB!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    I dunno, those white boys from the pit are tough and they will start knocking Rebels around in the second.

Gotta quit taking bad shots

• 00tt00

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    If Newman’s delaying the decision, it means Reggie’s lowballing him, which I agree with. The guy’s 34 or 35 at a position where old guys don’t do real well.
    =====================
    newman was the only guy reggie got that I didnt like……we should not be signing 34 year old CB’s even if he did play well last year

• willy91137

1054 A man with common sense : don’t forget the baseball diamond to play football on

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

00tt00 Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Twocents Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    That is a man with balls and most of you don’t get it.
    =========================
    =============================================

I am with Twocents on this one. There are a LOT of players, coaches, and execs that would pass on the “opportunity” here. The chances for failure are just too great with ownership an unknown, an older stadium, and a team with a long losing streak. And if you fail, everyone will blame you and not give you another chance so it is all or nothing.

• Just Fire Baby

Jake Long rated as the 46th best OT last season, according to PFF, and was one of the pass-protectors in all of football.

• 00tt00

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    long is still a top LT and is going to get paid……

******************************

I think PFF ranked him worse than Khalif Barnes.

He is nowhere near as good as Veldheer.
    ===============hate to break this to everyone but reggie is going to be outbid for veldheer next year

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

ohioraider Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Point is, you get a young exciting young QB, people will come play for him.

Some over the hill, pocket QB who never wins? Not so much.
    ————————–
    You’re fired, baby. If Reggie drafts Geno Smith it will only be to trade down.
    ============================================

Right now Geno Smith makes the Titanic look like a rocket ship. He is now most likely to go at the end of the lst round.

• Just Fire Baby

He is now most likely to go at the end of the lst round.

****************************

Name your price, he goes top 10.

• Raider Riff

KoolKell Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 1:05 pm
    Dumb Beech,

If you can drop 13 inch turds, does that mean you can take 13 inches up the ass? Is that what you’re trying to say?

———

Damn. Kell is normally about as witty as a cockroach but this time he ruined Beech.

Sorry Beech, but I call it as I see it. It was the funniest one liner Kell has ever had.

• r8eray

Plunketthead Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    r8eray Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    How’d you like that last second 3-pointer??

Nationally televised too?

We got this JFB!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Gotta quit taking bad shots

==========

Rebels like to run…notice, after Bennett went on that 13 point shooting spree the Lobos stepped up on ‘D’!

• Plunketthead

Missing easy baskets = losers

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

There’s talk KC may take Star.

• edward teach

1063.Seymour Bush Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    00tt00 Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Twocents Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    That is a man with balls and most of you don’t get it.
    =========================
    =============================================

********************************************************

It’s been reported that at least four people turned the Jets down because of their cap and personnel issues, and theirs isn’t nearly as bad as the mess Reggie walked into.

• Just Fire Baby

Can’t hang with our bigs!!!!

• Dakota

Do we take a flier on Marcus lattimore in the draft? Bush paid off.

• Thec

00tt00 Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    long is still a top LT and is going to get paid……

******************************

I think PFF ranked him worse than Khalif Barnes.

He is nowhere near as good as Veldheer.

++++++++==

Contingency plan, with the draft being so deep in trenchmen, draft a backup/replacement

• ohioraider

Based on Reggie’s moves so far, I predict he goes heavy on lineman first, then CBs later, in the draft. I don’t think he sees a franchise QB worth drafting early. And I think he’s right.

So, baby, I stake my reputation on this prediction. Print it.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:26 pm

He is now most likely to go at the end of the lst round.

****************************

Name your price, he goes top 10.
    =============================================

I have him as a top 20 player on my board. I will take your bet tho. My #2 Jamarcus charger. I have been wondering what to do with it.

• Plunketthead

These guys look terrible they don’t deserve to win. First time I have seen them this year

• Raider Riff

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    Patriots released WR Brandon Lloyd.
    The move had been rumored for weeks. 31-year-old Lloyd didn’t have a bad statistical season in his lone year with the Patriots (74/911/4), but his reportedly “erratic behavior” led some in the organization to believe he may be bipolar. Worse, Lloyd didn’t stretch the field in New England and has never created yards after the catch. Lloyd, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Julian Edelman are now at the top of a stripped-down free-agent receiver market.
    ——————————————
    This guy may not “take the top of the defense” any more, but he has a great set of hands.

I would take him for the right price anyday.

———

Word. Brandon Loyd has as good a set of hands as their is in the league.

At the right price, a lot of guys can be had. I really like the trend we are seeing a LOT of teams go, which is to sign guys to 1-2 year deals that pay good, but dont mortgage the future. The shortness of the deal means the org will be getting players at max effort. Take all of Reggie’s signings for example. Or what New England just did for Aqib Talib. One year, 5 million. Normally a #1 CB costs a lot more than that and if you do it with a long contract, it never ends well.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

edward teach Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

1063.Seymour Bush Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    00tt00 Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Twocents Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    That is a man with balls and most of you don’t get it.
    =========================
    =============================================

********************************************************

============================================

True. The Jets have a couple of things over us tho: steady ownership, new stadium, rabid fanbase. Their big problems are bad cap situation and no quarterback. That REALLY hurts anyone going in there.

• Raider Riff

Edward Teach Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    1063.Seymour Bush Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    00tt00 Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Twocents Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    That is a man with balls and most of you don’t get it.
    =========================
    =============================================

********************************************************

————–

Well put.

And as usual, twocents is spot on.

• Just Fire Baby

I personally don’t think Geno falls past the Buffalo/AZ picks, if he falls past us.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

With the vet for 3 hour. What’d I miss, what’d I miss?

• Just Fire Baby

What’d I miss, what’d I miss?

****************************

Your groupie was asking some more bizarre questions to you.

• Raider Riff

The Jets do not have steady ownership.

Way too many PR stunts for my liking. They continually get baited into trying to win a PR contest with the Giants when the reality is that if they ever want to matter in the minds of New Yorkers more than the Giants then they just need to stop with the dumb antics and just win.

You dont see the Giants going after Tebow. You dont see the Giants with a coach that leaks a photo of his tattoo of Sanchez or a foot fetish or any of that other crap.

The Jets owner, Woody Johnson created that whole circus.

• edward teach

Bill Williamson reported yesterday that it was Dumervil’s agent that dropped the ball with the whole contract thing. I passed that on and was told that Williamson is a Bronco homer and was spinning things so as to not fault the Broncos.

Evidently Dumervil thinks it was his agent’s fault too, because he fired him today.

• Thec

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

+++++++++++==

Agreed however, would you swap 1st rd picks with az for a chance at their 2nd rd pick?

• jesusraiderjim

Pretty good game goin on JFB’s Lobos tryin to “get er dun”

• Raider Riff

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

———

It doesnt matter does it? Smart people on this board shouldnt be so fixated on the QB position. Thats hard to do, but its the truth.

Nobody we draft will be further along in their development than what we already have. Palmer is a seasoned vet and Pryor has a full year under his belt.

Rookie QBs take time to develop. Andrew Luck is an outlier and unrealistic to expect. So when drafting a QB, you have to ask yourself, do we want to spend the next 3-4 years developing them? I say why do that when we are already a year into developing Pryor.

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:37 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

+++++++++++==

——-

In a heartbeat. Absolutely. Pull the trigger. Hell yes.

• Irish Boozer

I don’t love Palmer, but I don’t hate him either. It’s my opinion that he should be dealt to the highest bidder though. We are not in a position to where a guy like Palmer helps us anymore. I was all for it when Hue made the trade, because we were all high on the kool-aid making us think we had a real shot that season. Weather we did or din’t, there is no doubt that that window has closed. We are rebuilding this thing anyway, and there is no reason that we shouldn’t find out what we have in T.P. in such a season. If we hand the keys to T.P. then the worst case scenario would be we are debating between Clowney and Manziel. (I’ll take Johnny Football, for the record.) Best case would be we find out we havesomething special in Pryor. Let’s face it, we’re not winning the bowl this year, hell we’re not even making the playoffs. We need to see what we have in Pryor. It’s too bad we didn’t do that during the last four games of last season, but it still needs to be done.

• Just Fire Baby

3-4 years to develop?

They only sign a 4 year contract when drafted.

Who took 3-4 years to develop?

Stafford was in the playoffs his 3rd year, RGIII, Luck, Wilson, Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco all in their first year. Kap 2nd year. Ponder 2nd year.

• Plunketthead

I may be too tough on the Rebels. They just said NM will probably be a #1 seed if they win

• rediaR

Thec Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    00tt00 Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    long is still a top LT and is going to get paid……

******************************

I think PFF ranked him worse than Khalif Barnes.

He is nowhere near as good as Veldheer.
    ——————-
    Exactly why it should be a priority to set up a deal over the summer.

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    Willy91137 Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    IN 76 THE first year we won the Super Bowl we lost two defensive linemen the second game of the season and we had to go to the 34 the Dolphins were the only team played that played 34 may be a good sign

+++++++

Best football team in NFL History….76 Raiders

——–

The Raiders have traditionally been a 3-4 team throughout most of our history.

Al was trying to stay ahead of the curve by going 4-3 heavy the last decade and a half. And he was, our players just never delivered.

Seattle, the Giants, and a few others have all done it exactly the way Al wanted it done. DE’s that could destroy the QB and allow the D to not have to blitz.

• edward teach

The Raiders have traditionally been a 3-4 team throughout most of our history.

********************************************************

Mike Waufle. One of the best position coaches in the game. I keep saying it, but I wish he’d never left.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raider Riff Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

The Jets do not have steady ownership.
    ==========================================

Huh? Woody Johnson has owned the team for over a decade and while some of the decisions are questionable, you don’t feel he is going to sell, yank the team or go bankrupt any time soon. That’s what I am saying.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Raider Riff Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:42 pm

The Raiders have traditionally been a 3-4 team throughout most of our history.
    —————————–
    Take a history lesson, youngster.

• Raider Riff

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    3-4 years to develop?

They only sign a 4 year contract when drafted.

Who took 3-4 years to develop?

—————-

They only sign a 4 year contract AND so do the coaches in most cases. Which is why it’s so freaking hard to build a team in this league when you have impatient owners and GMs that have to save face every 2-3 years.

It’s a really hard business and nobody is given the time needed.

As for your examples of guys that got into the playoffs early in their career, all I have to say to that is its a strawman arguement. Just because they made it to the playoffs doesnt mean they were developed enough to carry a poor football team.

Sanchez walked into a stacked Jets team. And over the years that roster’s talent has eroded away and now look at his wins/loss record. Sanchez is a better QB today than he was as a rookie. But his TEAM is much worse, and thus the record shows it. If you are going to use TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENTS such as wins/losses to measure a QB’s development, then you are never going to accurately see whats going on.

Good, developed, QBs can carry poor teams. Young talented and inexperienced QBs can play well if the talent is surrounding them, but they need time to grow into the position.

Matt Ryan and Flacco were both handled with kid gloves early on and not to mention, they walked onto some pretty stacked teams. Kap…. hmmm, you think the Niners werent already talented? Kap has a ways to go and that should scare the heck out of the NFC west.

A classic example is Big Ben. Went 15-1 his rookie year. Never threw more than 15 atttempts in a game that year. They brought him along slowly, the rest of the franchise carried him. Now he can carry them.

QBs take time. And if you think otherwise just because of their playoff experience or win/loss records, then you dont have a clue about evaluating QB play.