Q&A with Raiders LB Nick Roach

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, March 15th, 2013 at 4:39 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcription of a conference call with the local media and linebacker Nick Roach, signed Friday:

Q: How quickly did this all come about? Did you entertain offers from any other teams?

Roach: It was really just the Raiders and the Bears, obviously, what it came down to. I came out on the visit and we were just in position to gauge the Bears’ interest back and forth, and taking all things into consideration, it seemed like Oakland was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up.

Q: Your understanding you’ll be playing middle linebacker?

Roach: The kind of just said they see me being able to do a lot of things that they want to do, so specifically the middle, I’m not sure if that will be the case. I think they kind of want to just get me in and see wherever the best fit is for everybody that they bring in.

Q: Took over last season for Brian Urlacher and got a good taste of what it feels like to be a middle linebacker, what is it you like about the position?

Roach: Obviously, you’re on the field a lot. You’re in the middle of everything and get to a lot of plays that maybe if you’re on the outside you can’t get all the way across the field to get to. Just being in the mix, I enjoy that. I enjoy being in the game and having to know the situations and all the adjustments that go along with it. Just the whole thing.

Q: How much did it help for you in terms of proving versatility, playing both spots?

Roach: It was huge. You don’t even know yourself that you can do something until you have a chance to really do it. It was big for being able to get the film out there and just for the confidence of feeling like your versatility is really worth something.

Q: What intrigued you about opportunity in Oakland?

Roach: It’s just exciting, the whole culture of the organization, that in my mind is on the upswing, and being able to come in and add to that, hopefully, is something to look forward to, I think.

Q: How much did playing with guys like Urlacher and Briggs help you develop into player you are today?

Roach: It’s been great. Those guys are friends of mine, and more importantly they’re great examples of how to be a pro, how to be successful at the highest level. Kind of being behind them and next to them for the last few years has really helped. Just kind of watching, leadership by example, what it looks like

Q: Raiders have been clear last two years they’re looking guys who are serious about football, love it, not a lot of drama, guys who want to play . . . does that sum you up?

Roach: Yeah, I think so. I think there are a lot of guys like that, the guys that are under the radar. You won’t make it for long in the NFL if you don’t really love it because you won’t have the motivation to do all the things that it takes. It’s just exciting to be able to get in and get to learn everything, and go from there.

Q: Any concerns as far as Raiders being in a rebuilding mode?

Roach: Honestly it didn’t really cross my mind. I was just, I guess that’s an opinion some people might have, but my concern was getting a chance to meet the coaches and just kind of see where they saw me fitting in, and if the situation seemed like the best for me and my family.

Q: See yourself as a guy that’s going to come in and take over as a leader with a lot of enthusiasm, or more of a guy who prepares and you lead that way?

Roach: I’m not a huge rah-rah guy or anything. I think I’m able to lead by example with the daily things, taking care of your body, study the opponent, that kind of stuff. I’m going to continue to do that and if that translates to the field it will be a good example.

Q: Won Ed Block Courage award, what does that mean to you?

Roach: Kind of what it says to me is you’re able to earn the respect of your teammates and your locker room. It’s obviously a huge honor, when you can get an award that’s voted on strictly by the guys that you play with, so we’re excited to go out there tomorrow and spend a couple days with the community and seeing what the whole award really is about in person.

Q: Gotten a feeling that having that award meant something to the organization?

Roach: Honestly, I’m not sure. I’m sure it kind of was, I guess you could call it a resume-builder kind of thing. It’s always good to have the label that says you’re respected by your teammates in the locker room that you’re in. I’m sure that might have been a consideration.

Q: When you came in to the league as undrafted free agent, was your approach just making it day-by-day, or with a chip in your shoulder, confident you would make it?

Roach: For me, it was just about, whatever opportunity was in front of me I would try to take advantage of it, I was ecstatic when I made the practice squad in San Diego. I didn’t really feel slighted or feel I deserved anything more than what the opportunity had presented at that time. It was just the daily things that kind of led up to this point where I was able to get a chance to play and produce a little bit.

Q: Last season Philip Wheeler came in here, having played Cover 2 in Indy, was able to be a play-maker after mostly falling into coverage for Colts. You played in Bears Cover 2, you think this system might allow you to spread your wings a little, do more things?

Roach: Yeah, I’m not sure yet. We haven’t had enough time to go that in depth on it. But it is a little bit different and I’ll be able to, I guess, use a little bit more versatility in terms of just football-playing ability. But I think in my time in Chicago, I fit that scheme pretty well, too. So to say that I’ll be able to do anything more or less, I’m not sure yet.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Irish Boozer Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I don’t love Palmer, but I don’t hate him either. It’s my opinion that he should be dealt to the highest bidder though. We are not in a position to where a guy like Palmer helps us anymore. I was all for it when Hue made the trade, because we were all high on the kool-aid making us think we had a real shot that season. Weather we did or din’t, there is no doubt that that window has closed. We are rebuilding this thing anyway, and there is no reason that we shouldn’t find out what we have in T.P. in such a season. If we hand the keys to T.P. then the worst case scenario would be we are debating between Clowney and Manziel. (I’ll take Johnny Football, for the record.) Best case would be we find out we havesomething special in Pryor. Let’s face it, we’re not winning the bowl this year, hell we’re not even making the playoffs. We need to see what we have in Pryor. It’s too bad we didn’t do that during the last four games of last season, but it still needs to be done.
    ============================================

We know what we have in Pryor. Every one in football knows what we have in Pryor. It’s fans that don’t know. And to hoist some guy out there to get himself, his teammates and the franchise killed is just not an option.

KoolKell Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:42 pm

The Raiders have traditionally been a 3-4 team throughout most of our history.
    —————————–
    Take a history lesson, youngster.

—————

I didnt add them up but at first glance, its exactly what I remember.

We were 3-4 in the 70s and 80s. Did it again in the early 90s. And since then we have been 4-3 sans the Rob Ryan experiment.

• Just Fire Baby

Just because they made it to the playoffs doesnt mean they were developed enough to carry a poor football team.

******************************

I believe that whole sentence is an oxymoron.

And Flacco and Ryan went to stacked teams? A 4-12 and 5-11 team?

• Twocents

I don’t see any scenario where we go into next year with anybody but Palmer at QB.
    We need a running game and some decent pass protection and that all points to the OL.
    Sparano was brought in for that reason and I think it was a great move. And I think we will be surprised at the difference it makes.

Seymour Bush Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

The Jets do not have steady ownership.
    ==========================================

Huh? Woody Johnson has owned the team for over a decade and while some of the decisions are questionable, you don’t feel he is going to sell, yank the team or go bankrupt any time soon. That’s what I am saying.

——–

Gotcha. I wondered if you meant stable “financial” ownership or stable “decision making” ownership. Now I know, my bad.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

******************************

I believe that whole sentence is an oxymoron.

And Flacco and Ryan went to stacked teams? A 4-12 and 5-11 team?

————–

Do you follow the game or only look at raw numbers/stats?

Ryan came to the team after the Vick/Petrino disaster. That team had talent. It was just derailed by some pretty unique issues.

And the Ravens have ALWAYS had a stout defense. And that goes a long ways to helping a young QB out. Flacco didnt have to come in and carry that franchise. It already had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and as long as the Ravens have had that, theyve been a quality team.

• edward teach

1104.Twocents Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

********************************************************

• Thec

++++++++++=

If this is truly the case, then why does the org cut him, or make him switch positions?

If the org knows then why let this guy keep up this charade?

Cut him and be done.

• Just Fire Baby

Ryan went to a Falcons team that went 8-8, 7-9 than 4-12 it’s previous 3 years?

Stacked?

Hardly

Edward Teach Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    The Raiders have traditionally been a 3-4 team throughout most of our history.

Al was trying to stay ahead of the curve by going 4-3 heavy the last decade and a half. And he was, our players just never delivered.

Seattle, the Giants, and a few others have all done it exactly the way Al wanted it done. DE’s that could destroy the QB and allow the D to not have to blitz.

********************************************************

Mike Waufle. One of the best position coaches in the game. I keep saying it, but I wish he’d never left.

———–

Agreed. He should have been kept around.

But then again, having Osi, Tuck, JPP, and Strahan will make any D-Line coach look pretty dang good.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

KoolKell Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Intelligence

Most trolls are pretty thick. Let’s face it, it doesn’t take much intelligence to sus out that the troll life is a pretty pathetic one, and given the choice, even a gerbil would choose a more rewarding lifestyle.

———————————
    Purvis
    Scourge
    Ian85
    Beecham
    ======================================================

Let’s see KookyK.
    In the last three hours I’ve been wth the vet who is trying to help us save the life of a 5 week old baby llama who’s mama died last Saturday. Her owners were going to just let her die, and she may.
    We’ve been trying to bottle feed her and have some experience in these matters.
    She can’t sh1t(not one of your problems) and we hydrated her SubQ(18 gauge needle 150-250 cc’s) and I’ll do that again tonight and tomorrow. Along with Banamine injections(for pain and anti inflammatory help) and antibiotic injections(Excenel, in this case).
    Then we’ll try and talk Aurica, who had a baby yesterday and has always had a surplus of milk, to accept this cria by rubbing essence of the placenta, her own milk, and her cria’s pee on the baby llama that may die and hope she allows her to nurse.

What you been doing the last three hours, Malibu Rum man?

In other words, shut up, dumbass.

• rediaR

Seymour Bush Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    Irish Boozer Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

============================================

———————
    Exactly! Everybody knows we have a talented young QB who can make all of the throws but has had trouble with consistency.

• Just Fire Baby

Snell taking over the game

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Raider Riff Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I didnt add them up but at first glance, its exactly what I remember.

————————-
    7 years in Raider History they played a 3-4. During the Henricks years.

Yo youngsters need to get your facts straight before making pronouncements you know nothing about. Arrogance.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:57 pm
    Ryan went to a Falcons team that went 8-8, 7-9 than 4-12 it’s previous 3 years?

Stacked?

Hardly

———-

Again, more raw stats and total disregard for what was actually going on.

Matt Ryan is worlds better today than he was as a rookie. I cant prove that with stats so you wont agree.

Had he come to Oakland as a rookie he’d be seen as a bust. His development would have gone nowhere and fans and the staff would have turned on him 2-3 seasons in.

• rediaR

Thec Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

++++++++++=

If the org knows then why let this guy keep up this charade?

Cut him and be done.
    ———————
    Because throwing your opinion around like it is fact is one of the key components to both the internet and sports discussions.

• RaidingTexas

Raider Riff Says:

The Raiders have traditionally been a 3-4 team throughout most of our history.

—————————————

Raiders 3-4? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. But they have relied on natural pressure from the line to avoid needing a blitz. That part is true.

• lefty12

Bs- nobody really knows what the Raiders have in Pryor.As the saying goes ‘you think you know but you really don’t’.Anyone who says different is full of manure.

KoolKell Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I didnt add them up but at first glance, its exactly what I remember.

————————-
    7 years in Raider History they played a 3-4. During the Henricks years.

——–

That link you posted shows 14 years.

You old guys need to go get lasik surgery or a bigger monitor or a new abacus to help you count.

• rediaR

RediaR Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:58 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    Irish Boozer Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

============================================

———————
    —————
    When I say “trouble with consistency” I say that with the knowledge of a limited sample size.

• Plunketthead

Purv

Who was the Vegas GC who you worked for. I grew up there and knew most everyone. I got burned by plenty of GC’s

• Irish Boozer

Seymour Bush Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    =======================================================

We have one game of tape on Pryor. A game in which he snapped a multiple game team td drought by scoring three tds. Was it pretty? Hell no, but it was the kid’s first start. And the lack of zip on his passes was pathetic, but it’s not like he can’t throw it harder than that. I think he was hella nervous and trying to be a little too careful instead of just cutting it loose and playing. He showed some good leadership ability in that game. I thought he played with heart and fire. I’m not ready to crown him or cut him, I just think he deserves a fair shake. You can’t judge someone off of 1 game. Especially their first start in the NFL.

• Just Fire Baby

Again, more raw stats and total disregard for what was actually going on.

*******************************

What was going on was they weren’t a playoff team.

Your the one with the strawman argument here.

Of course QB’s get better over time, who said they didn’t?

I am talking about your claim that QB’s need 3-4 years to develop. Not in today’s NFL, rookie QB’s can go in and take teams to the playoffs.

Matt Ryan led the NFL in combeback victories HIS ROOKIE YEAR. He got and keeps getting better, but he was “developed” by Halloween his rookie year.

• Plunketthead

That rebel team looks horrible. I am rooting for Louisville and Gonzaga

• Just Fire Baby

That white dude just shot them right out of the game.

Not sure what he was thinkng out there.

RaidingTexas Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    Raider Riff Says:

The Raiders have traditionally been a 3-4 team throughout most of our history.

—————————————

——–

From 1976-1989, arguably our most dominant era. We ran a 3-4.

Which doesnt have anything to do with what we should be doing now. All I was saying was that Al ran what he thought worked and at the times he was usually doing the unconventional thing.

We ran a 3-4 before it was super popular and now 3-4′s have been in vogue the last 15 years and go figure, Al was trying to stay one step ahead by going back to a 4-3.

And in reality, he was right. The Giants, Seattle, and some other really good defensive teams are evidence of it. They are built the same way he wanted us built but for whatever reason, their players delivered and ours never could.

• Thec

RediaR Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    Thec Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

++++++++++=

If the org knows then why let this guy keep up this charade?

Cut him and be done.
    ———————

+++++++++

ROFLMAO….. you mean ones opinion on the blog, does not represent the views of the Raider Org?

• jesusraiderjim

Mike Garafolo‏@MikeGarafolo
    TE Brandon Myers has agreed to sign with the Giants.

• IVANA_SIGNA_SUPERSTAR

this whole ready rookie phenomenom wont last….. the rookies who had success this year (other then luck) was a product of the pistol offense….. this wont continue

• Thec

the hot dog guy leaving was tooooo easy of a call to make…

• jackasspuria

Five of the six of the CBS/NFLDraftScout.com mock drafters say Raiders take Florida DT Shariff Floyd at the No. 3 overall pick.

Only one offered a different perspective: Clark Judge

3. OAKLAND RAIDERS

(4-12) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama: The Raiders didn’t have a decent cornerback last season, and they’re in a division with Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers. If they don’t fix the leak, they’re going to continue to hemorrhage yards and points.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    Again, more raw stats and total disregard for what was actually going on.

*******************************

What was going on was they weren’t a playoff team.

Your the one with the strawman argument here.

Of course QB’s get better over time, who said they didn’t?

—————-

No rookie QB can carry a team to the playoff. Why you keep giving individual players credit for team accomplishments is beyond me.

The very fact that you think Matt Ryan was “developed” by mid-season his rookie year is laughable. Atlanta had a very good defense. Great coaching staff. And oh yeah, they brought in Michael Turner and he had a career year.

Go ahead, just expect your rookie QB to carry a team and see how far that gets you. It doesnt work in this league.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Jackasspuria Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Only one offered a different perspective: Clark Judge

3. OAKLAND RAIDERS

====================================

Clark Judge doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

• jackasspuria

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
    Brandon Myers was always tops on the Giants’ wish list to replace Martellus Bennett. They were just waiting out the initial frenzy. #NYG

• Just Fire Baby

The 2008 Falcons had a “very good” D??

24th ranked in the NFL is “very good”?

5th fewest turnovers created?

Their defense sucked dude.

Jackasspuria Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Only one offered a different perspective: Clark Judge

3. OAKLAND RAIDERS

——————-

Ray, what good is a CB if we have no pass rush?

Everyone expects a #1 CB to be Revis or Leon Sandcastle. Those are VERY RARE cases where they cover so good, you can blitz extra guys to get your pass rush.

But the reality is that in most cases, even really good CB’s need a pass rush to be effective.

Our secondary woes have way more to do with our crappy DE’s than anything.

Our DTs the past few years have been more than stout. I studied the tape looking for any reason to blame Kelly or Seymore but the truth is, they were doing their jobs.

It was our LB play that gave up the big run plays and our DEs never took over games by getting to the QB. DE is pretty much the only position on the field that can SINGLE HANDIDLY take over and change the entire complextion of a game.

So even if we draft Sharif Floyd, I dont see how that helps us unless we think he’s going to be Warren Sapp in his prime, who again, is like Sandcastle or Revis in that they are outliers. DT’s dont traditionally take over games and change what a d-coordinator is able to do the way a DE can.

Maybe their isnt a Michael Strahan in this draft, but its what we need more than anything. A great DE will make average CBs look good. We already know what having above average CBs do if they have crap DEs in front of them. We lined up Aso and Hall and still got eaten alive because we had no pass rush. We’ve had above average CB tandems the last decade and below average DEs. It doesnt work.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    The 2008 Falcons had a “very good” D??

24th ranked in the NFL is “very good”?

5th fewest turnovers created?

Their defense sucked dude.

——

More stats.

Try to watch the games.

• jackasspuria

NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks — didn’t know he played for the Raiders in 1998 — has Sharrif Floyd mocked No. 1 overall to the KC Chiefs.

Brooks has Raiders taking Star Lotulelei No. 3.

Other six of NFL.com pundits say Sharrif Floyd 3 to Oakland.

Gil Brandt only other NFL.com dude with different pick.

He says Raiders take Geno Smith No. 3.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

rediaR Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Thec Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

++++++++++=

If the org knows then why let this guy keep up this charade?

Cut him and be done.
    ———————
    ===========================================

It is not just my opinion. It is the tried and true opinion of dozens of guys who have followed him his entire collegiate career. As for why don’t they just get rid of him, the org has invested a 3rd rounder in him. That is a pretty high pick. You can get solid starters and Pro Bowl players in the 3rd round. There is always a chance he could develop, altho I would think those chances would be miniscule at best.

But to answer your question, this team has soooooo many concerns at so many positions, that they have to keep their options open. But if they ultimately decide to keep Palmer, which is all but a forgone conclusion at this point, then the next move would be to either have Pryor change positions or out right him off the roster.

• jackasspuria

Raider Riff

Didn’t say I agreed with it.

Just got bored at work and am looking up Mock Drafts.

• Just Fire Baby

Try to watch the games.

*************************

Check-mate

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Of course QB’s get better over time, who said they didn’t?
    ===============================================

Not necessarily. Tell that to David Carr, Eric Couch, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Leinert, Matt Cassell, Brady Quinn…

• jackasspuria

ESPN’s Kiper and McShay have Sharrif Floyd mocked No. 3 to the Oakland Raiders.

Walterfootball.com says Shariff Floyd No. 3.

Just bored at work looking up mock drafts here.

Don’t say I agree with any of the mockers.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Plunketthead Says:

Purv

=====================================================

Geez, give me a minute. They were building most of the houses there (’94-’95) and my Cali DL and Contractors Licence weren’t good enough so I had to stand in line at the Social Security office to get a copy of my SS card.
    To work all of three days, but at least they deducted nothing and gave me something like 470 bucks.
    Kind of remember Mountain something? Didn’t have a Computer then(who did?) and wouldn’t have been staying at my brothers house in Green Valley if paperwork had been my thing back then.

Jackasspuria Says:
    March 16th, 2013 at 5:20 pm
    Raider Riff

Didn’t say I agreed with it.

Just got bored at work and am looking up Mock Drafts.

—————

Gotcha. Well, its just maddening. DT and QB are the two last things we need to be drafting with that pick so its just ludicrous as to why these “experts” think our GM will be taking those guys.

I just dont get it.

• Raider Riff

This draft is so talented with O-Lineman (something we need badly)

And deep with DE’s (something we need badly)

Taking a DT only makes that much sense if Reggie is 3200% sold on the guy and we are switching to a 3-4. Other than that, Crawford and Bilikudi will service just fine.

WE NEED A STUD DE!

• jackasspuria

Raider Riff

I think CSN Bay Area’s Paul Guiterrez said it best.

He did a call-in to NFL Network to be part of their expert panel mock draft (where they have media types/beat writers from various NFL cities make the draft pick) and he said the Raiders will trade out of the No. 3 spot.

Since NFL Net wanted a pick, he went the consensus popular trend pick Sharrif Floyd.

That’s what I see happening, McKenzie trades out of No. 3 to get more picks. But, I’m finding it difficult to generate a trade partner. Bills, maybe.

• spiff

rappoport says palmer will refuse to take a pay cut. he don’t wanna be here or else he would take a pay cut. he knows we have alot of voids.time to move on.trade him to arizona or buffalo or the jets get a 2nd round pick. continue to build the defense. pick up a rt.tackle a big back to back up dmac. let tp do his thing

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

WE NEED A STUD DE!
    ====================================

Dion Jordan? More of an OLB, but certainly a pretty good prospect.

• jackasspuria

Raider Riff

Side note about Gil Brandt.

Dude had the mock selections of Darrius Heyward-Bey and Rolando McClain dead-on before the pick was actually made.

Former Cowboys personnel man is usually correct, rather than incorrect, when he makes Raider references.