Raiders confirm Roach signing

Linebacker Nick Roach, who has started 29 games in the last two seasons for the Chicago Bears over the past two seasons, has signed with the Raiders, the club announced Friday.

ESPN-Chicago reported that Bears’ general manager Phil Emery said his team attempted to sign Roach, but was up against the salary cap and Roach “wouldn’t make the necessary adjustments,’’ accepting the Raiders’ offer.

No terms have been disclosed.

“Once I came out to visit, I knew it was going to be a fast process,’’ Roach told ESPN-Chicago. “It was a great visit.’’

Roach is expected to step in as the Raiders middle linebacker in place of Rolando McClain, who has yet to be released but is due just over $4 million in salary and has been a disappointment both on and off the field since being the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft.

“It’s going to be great to be a middle linebacker,’’ Roach told ESPN-Chicago. “I can’t wait to get with Raiders coaches and learn the scheme.

Roach will likely be flanked by free agent signee Kaluka Maiava and incumbent starter Miles Burris. Burris was the weak side starter last season and Maiava was predominantly a weak side player with the Cleveland Browns. Both players have enough athleticism to move to the strong side, which has more coverage responsibilities with the tight end.

Philip Wheeler, the strong side starter last season, signed with the Miami Dolphins as a free agent.

An undrafted free agent out of Northwestern, Roach (6-foot-1, 234 pounds) was originally signed by the San Diego Chargers in 2007 but signed with the Bears upon his release.

He is a veteran of 59 starts for coach Lovie Smith’s primarily Cover 2 defense, playing both the strong side and in the middle.

Roach started the final four games of the season for Chicago in place of Brian Urlacher and was considered the logical choice to take that position this season, with Ulracher a free agent.

He will soon travel to Baltimore as the recipient of the Bears “Ed Block Courage Award’’ winner, given to a player on each team that “exemplify commitments to principles of sportsmanship and courage.’’

With Roach signed, free agent linebacker Dan Connor reportedly left Alameda without a contract.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• inonewordraider

hahaha horse teeth, what an idiot!

where’s poster john elways teeth when you need em?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Scourge Says:
    Congrats, P-man! A blessed event. Mebbe Beeech will drop in with celebratory lines!

Hey, you guys, question for those in the know. What’s Mrs Davis’ level of influence in the Raider organization. I haven’t been able to find out much about her. Anybody have any interesting stories/info? She must have learned something from Al over the years.
    =====================================================

Thanks, Scourge.
    He11, I couldn’t even find a picture of Carol Davis and all my searches led to some doggie pajama vendor or something, if memory serves.

• 1960AutumnWind

Tyvon Branch = Mike Mitchell? I am really really glad you are not the GM for the Raiders. I am not even going to comment on the other comparisons.

• Chris in NY

Aig,
    There are a lot more good examples of free agent pickups than the dozen or so Dakota listed. There are also a ton of draft flops. An incredible amount. But you don’t just disregard one or the other. You use both of those avenues, and to a lesser extent trades, to compile the best roster.

• SilverNBlackPA

Go get him, Reg. I’m fcking serious.

Raiders haven’t had a pass rusher like that since Townsend packed it in

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Right now Dennis Allen is begging Reggie… please open up that wallet

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

Broncos could still sign Elvis Dumervil but there are salary cap implications. Not that simple.

***

Elvis is a free man. I think many teams will be calling

even if he doesn’t land in Oakland, I’ll be glad to see him anywhere but Dungver!

• SilverNBlackPA

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 1:23 pm
    Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

***

Elvis is a free man. I think many teams will be calling

++++++

Amen!

• Gdog

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

>>>>

I’m pretty sure I could outrun Mitchell.

Oh well…

• SilverNBlackPA

Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller basically got Allen his job as Raiders HC

We can get our version of Von Miller via Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan in the draft

Sign Dumervil, Reg.

• NGRaiderfan

92.Charlie Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    Teach

Completely agree.

I have not felt this good about the Raiders since 2002.

I don’t think we will win more than seven this year but the foundation is being built the right way.

Finishing the last two seasons over the cap with the pathetic performance we saw from many players was disastrous. The player purge the last two years was long over due.

=================

I was pretty optimistic going into 2011…we started off solid too until campbell and dmc got hurt.

• inonewordraider

so bryant gettin about 7 mill /year avg and dumervil was willing to re-sign for 8 mill/year. still think we shoulda paid bryant chris in ny?

• Gdog

Just to drive Rockstar and Mistic nutso:

Dumervil was a -5.5 last year… Pssstttt its why Elway didn’t keep him.

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

In all the Elvis Dumervil excitement, I totally forgot to wipe my buttcrack clean after unloading an unholy turd bomb surprise

Now it’s like cleaning peanut butter out of a rug

Anyway my sources tell me Johnny Lee Higgins could be available at the right price (max deal)

Personally I don’t think you can put a price on how pumped the Black Hole will get after one of his Cirque Du Soleil back flips

Gotta get a new bag of sponges and finish the cleanup, holla back at your boy, fizzle

WRECKS N EFFECT

• Gdog

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller basically got Allen his job as Raiders HC

>>>>

Von Miller is so frigging amazing I wonder if he isn’t roided up like the flash-in-the-pan Merriman?

Dumervil is up and down.

No thanx.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

New post.

• 1960AutumnWind

Chris in NY Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    Wow. Shaughnessy signs for 1 year at a $1 mil base. Reports are that the Raiders never even called him.

Unless he’s really physically shot and the Raiders know this, this is a sure red flag that Reggie only wants guys that he brings in and has no interest in holding onto players that he wouldn’t get credit for acquiring. Ego and pride can indeed manifest in other forms than what you might see with a Chad Johnson or T.O. or Beechum type.
    *******************************************

Wait a minute if that is true then explain the Branch extension or keeping Cheweaka and other sorts of anomolies. Even what he did with Seymour? I think he is trying to get the best value he can. May not always agree with his assessment (aka Briesell) but I think that is what he is doing.

• 1960AutumnWind

On Dummerville

That is one last second comeback Elway did not make!

HaHaHa…

• boss01

Dumervil would be an upgrade over anybody The Raiders have had in over a decade…don’t give a rats az what pff says…However, Reggie doesn’t want another “outta whack” contract meaning ponying up serious ‘scarole to get him here…so keep dreamning

• NGRaiderfan

213.Gdog Says:
    March 15th, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    Just to drive Rockstar and Mistic nutso:

Dumervil was a -5.5 last year… Pssstttt its why Elway didn’t keep him.

=====================

Dumervil had 11 sacks last yr. 6 forced fumbles raiders team had 25 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. i don’t care what stupid @ss pff says his “rating” is. this guy makes plays and disrupts the quarterback like no one on our roster last year.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Scourge Says:
    P-man, you have a name yet for the cria (spl?)?
    =======================================================

Yeah, Aurica’s baby, boy, or cria. Hah!
    Sometimes they get to a couple months before we figure one out.