Newest Raider Burnett speaks with media

Here is the transcript from a conference call with linebacker Kevin Burnett a short time after he signed with the Raiders on Sunday:

Q: When you got released from the Dolphins, how long before you got on the phone with your brother [current Raiders LB Kaelin Burnett]?

Burnett: I don’t think anybody was too excited about calling me at that point. I mean, I didn’t talk to him until a couple of days ago when I was on my way to Oakland actually. Well, actually wait, let me back that up. I got released, I told him that day, I was supposed to fly out the night I got released, so the day … so that was the day I talked to him.

Q: When you were in Miami, were you primarily a ‘4-3 under’ defense? What was that like in terms of coming over to the Raiders and Coach Allen said he wanted a multiple defense being it’ll be more 3-4…is there something you’re more comfortable playing or something you just know you can adapt and play that type of scheme?

Burnett: Coming in and meeting with the coaching staff and what they want to accomplish, defense is defense actually, either you’re good or you’re bad. Middle of the pack, usually middle of the pack doesn’t get it done, so what I’ve been told is we’re trying to make best fit today and at this point, it’s what about where you fit in. The personnel fit really well for them and I look forward to coming and playing, so I think they’ll change for the players. To answer your question real short, they’re going to change their defense to what we do best. It’s going to be a matter of us putting together the pieces one by one, so whatever we pick up is what we’ll run.

Q: How did this whole process come about? How quickly did you hear from the Raiders and did you hear from any teams?

Burnett: I heard from teams rather quickly. These were probably the longest four days of my life. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling. The Raiders, they were in it from day one. This is all a blur for me right now, so I really can’t answer that question. It all happened fairly quick, I’ll put it that way.

Q: Three years ago, when the Raiders had some interest in you, what do you recall of that meeting with the Raiders and how close did you come to being a Raider back then?

Burnett: The only thing I remember about that was I know I didn’t get an offer from the Raiders. So I came in, took a physical and never got an offer and that was the end of it. I flew out…I came in, took a physical and I flew out probably 12:30-1:00 that day. It was an opportunity that just didn’t come to fruition, but now I’m a Raider, so who cares about it.

Q: Having played the Raiders each of the past three seasons, what do you make of the roster?

Burnett: What do I make of the roster? To be honest with you, I haven’t looked at the roster, number one. Number two, what the roster looks like now is not what it’s going to look like come September 1, so who knows from myself to everybody to guy 53, who knows who’s going to be here? Nobody is exempt at this point…the mere fact that we’re having this conversation proves that.

Q: What were your primary factors that you made you want to sign with the Raiders?

Burnett: It had to be a fit. It had to be a need and it had to be something that I think we were all willing to do. More importantly, you had to have the money, the economics, the coaching, it all had to be right. That’s all part of the fit.

Q: How much of a sibling rivalry…what kind of relationship do you guys have football-wise?

Burnett: Oh man, that’s my brother. I think the biggest thing was I told him was I wasn’t coming in to play the same position as my brother. I’ll go on record saying that. I want to make sure that we all understand that I’m coming in here to assist my brother, first and foremost, and come in here and play the best I can, provide leadership, and ownership of your responsibilities. Other than that, I can’t go out and win games solely by myself. It’s a team game, so this is going to be a true test of every man on the team’s ability to come together and play as one and be one heartbeat.

Q: Even though Tony Sparano was an offensive guy, did that play any part in terms of maybe signing with the Raiders, knowing that you had somebody to help vouch for you in terms of what you did in Miami even though it was one year he got to see you play?

Burnett: Oh me and Tony go back. Tony is actually out of those eight years I’ve been in the league, he’s seen me play in five of them, so he’s been my head coach for one, but we were together four years, however many years in Dallas, but he’s been able to watch me grow and mature as a player. I think it was very important to me getting here because I don’t think I was even on the radar and I don’t think they would have brought me in without Tony having the first-hand experience with me.

Q: What was it like when you found out that your brother had made the Raiders roster at the end of the season? What was your guys’ dynamic at that point?

Burnett: We were both excited. It was exciting just to know that now you have two of you playing in the National Football League. I’m not sure if there’s ever in the history of the NFL, been two brothers that have played on the same team. I’d have to do my homework on it. I want to say that’s a first. It’ll probably be more exciting if we’re on the field at the same time.

Steve Corkran

• da trinity

I agree with that guest 123, but Arizona seems to pile seems to like Matt Barkley more. That can change of course. Buffalo, is the only team I can really see trading up for him, but why wouldn’t they just trade up to #2 to get him?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Wheeler was not that good before coming to the raiders.. go look at his stats with the COLTS.. he played better in this Scheme and attacting defense style.

He didnt even start every game in 2010 and had ok numbers in 2011

Dolphins passed on signing him to league MIN last year.. and all of a sudden he gets a 26 million dollar contract LMAO.

No reason why Kaluka catch be that in this system.

• raiderinparadise

JB Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    Now that Meyers is gone, how about moving Marcel Reece to TE? Could easily be the next Todd Christensen. Opinions?

———

Complete waste of talent. Blocking with someone over you in a 3 point stance takes yrs to learn. From a FB position he can use his speed to generate power and requires less technique.

Plus the threat he creates being in a backfield is huge, options unlimited.

Reece is one of our best players on the whole team, thats being a RB or FB or WR. not a TE.

That is why he couldn’t sign anybody LAST YEAR… he correctly needed to stop kicking the can down the road, and why he cleared Routt and Whimbley off the books, amongst others.

There are 26 players with dead money on our books this year, 2 for 2014.

The pain of losing can END NOW, if Reggie chooses.

***

@Gdog

what about all the Palmer lovers asking for another restructure? Aren’t you guys proposing we “kick the can down the road” with him?

• RAIDERMAN99

Bidding war for the #3 ?

Very unlikely.

What’s there to go to war for ?

Doesn’t seem to be a stand out prospect worthy of starting a war over.

Perhaps a QB desperate team goes to war for Geno.

But a war for Geno would likely be waged with the intent of grabbing Jax’s #2.

No sense in waging and winning a war for OAK’s 3 in order to get Geno, only to see him taken #2.

KC takes Joek or maybe Floyd. Probably Joek – Winston release is a clue.
    Jax either trades down or takes GS themselves or whomever they deem BPA.
    RAIDS on the clock.

Of course, if Jax stands pat and GS falls to RAIDS, Reggie gets a chance to deal.

• Gdog

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 1:29 pm

@ GDOG

you missed this:

“they have an astonishing $32 million in dead money — money accounted for on players no longer on the roster”

>>>

Yup.. all off our books next year.

I admit a 35 mill contract is tough because we’d be pushing the cap right now… but so is Denver. And were STILL in much better position next year no matter what.

Maybe Reggie see’s someone better, cheaper… I will wait and see.

• The_Judge37

However Reece at TE in Madden is unstoppable, in real life i don’t think it’d work out though.

• Priesttj12

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    Thats why I am STILL scratching my head about Bryant.

++++++++

I like Desmond Bryant quite a bit, but that was waaayyy too much scratch to pay out to him.

Someone (Cork?) said the Raiders were negotiating to re-sign him but bowed out when they heard the number Cleveland was throwing at him.

Reggie was wise to not match that offer.

Just my own opinion.
    *****************************
    You don’t know what players make man. Des Bryant IMO is as good a 3tech as there is in this draft. Now you can draft a guy and he’s a bust or you can pay a proven talent. $30 mill is the low end of what yu pay a very good 3tech and Des had developed into a real player by seasons end. I thought he was very effiective inside. You bring in a a great DE with some talent and he gets even better.

• da trinity

With the Rams signing Jake Long, teams trading up to #3 seems less likely. But maybe Pitt might try to move up, they made a hard push for long right before he signed with Rams.

• Priesttj12

If Reggie had signed Des early he could have gotten him for less than 30 mill but Reggie wanted to know what the market was he didn’t know how to set it himself. That was the real problem in KEEPING Des and losing him.

• Gdog

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

There are 26 players with dead money on our books this year, 2 for 2014.

The pain of losing can END NOW, if Reggie chooses.

***

@Gdog

>>>>

Wool yea because I want him to be QB for two more years.

And we can afford the dead money more next season than this, obviously.

Kicking the can down the road on players that aren’t worth a damn is stupid. Pssstttt Reggie restructuring Seymour last year was MORONIC!!

CP gives us a great chance to win now… I want playoffs THIS YEAR! Not 2014.

***

Cards want Barkley? link? source?

JAX would ask more moving down to #7 than Oakland would sliding 1 less slot in the Top 10.

I’m not convinced the Jags new crew (David Caldwell, Gus Bradley & Jedd Fisch) are eager to see another Chad Henne versus Blaine Gabbert QB derby!!

Geno Smith could go #2 overall to J-Ville or Buffalo could trade up to #1 with KC to ensure they get him

• Charlie

No offense guys but if Bryant was so good how does the Tampa game happen?

The guys we are losing off the lines are simply not worth the money we were paying them.

Any good football team that we played last year pretty much handled our Dline.

The only impact player we have on the unit is Houston.

• The_Judge37

Dez got his money and Cleveland made a huge gamble that could pay off. They got a good player. I’m through crying about it. We couldn’t match. But should’ve kept Matt Shaughnessy for the one yr deal AZ gave him.

• ESETERIK78

Why is everyone freaking out about Bryant?

Isn’t DL the most deep stock in this draft?

new post

• J Hill

Ravens, Green Bay, and Dallas want Huffy, eh?

Not bad for the sucka arsse some of you folks make him out to be.

• da trinity

Roach signed 4 year deal, 13 mil with 5 mil gaurenteed

• DKnight007

601.da trinity Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    Trading up to #2 costs more than trading up to #3.

• xraided

Charlie Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 1:41 pm
    No offense guys but if Bryant was so good how does the Tampa game happen?

Any good football team that we played last year pretty much handled our Dline.

The only impact player we have on the unit is Houston.

_____________________

truth

• xraided

ESETERIK78 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 1:41 pm
    Why is everyone freaking out about Bryant?

Isn’t DL the most deep stock in this draft?

______________

exactly why BigMac said buh bye!

• xraided

_____

good point. it’s very likely that we keep our pick. make it count reg!