Newest Raider Burnett speaks with media

Here is the transcript from a conference call with linebacker Kevin Burnett a short time after he signed with the Raiders on Sunday:

Q: When you got released from the Dolphins, how long before you got on the phone with your brother [current Raiders LB Kaelin Burnett]?

Burnett: I don’t think anybody was too excited about calling me at that point. I mean, I didn’t talk to him until a couple of days ago when I was on my way to Oakland actually. Well, actually wait, let me back that up. I got released, I told him that day, I was supposed to fly out the night I got released, so the day … so that was the day I talked to him.

Q: When you were in Miami, were you primarily a ‘4-3 under’ defense? What was that like in terms of coming over to the Raiders and Coach Allen said he wanted a multiple defense being it’ll be more 3-4…is there something you’re more comfortable playing or something you just know you can adapt and play that type of scheme?

Burnett: Coming in and meeting with the coaching staff and what they want to accomplish, defense is defense actually, either you’re good or you’re bad. Middle of the pack, usually middle of the pack doesn’t get it done, so what I’ve been told is we’re trying to make best fit today and at this point, it’s what about where you fit in. The personnel fit really well for them and I look forward to coming and playing, so I think they’ll change for the players. To answer your question real short, they’re going to change their defense to what we do best. It’s going to be a matter of us putting together the pieces one by one, so whatever we pick up is what we’ll run.

Q: How did this whole process come about? How quickly did you hear from the Raiders and did you hear from any teams?

Burnett: I heard from teams rather quickly. These were probably the longest four days of my life. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling. The Raiders, they were in it from day one. This is all a blur for me right now, so I really can’t answer that question. It all happened fairly quick, I’ll put it that way.

Q: Three years ago, when the Raiders had some interest in you, what do you recall of that meeting with the Raiders and how close did you come to being a Raider back then?

Burnett: The only thing I remember about that was I know I didn’t get an offer from the Raiders. So I came in, took a physical and never got an offer and that was the end of it. I flew out…I came in, took a physical and I flew out probably 12:30-1:00 that day. It was an opportunity that just didn’t come to fruition, but now I’m a Raider, so who cares about it.

Q: Having played the Raiders each of the past three seasons, what do you make of the roster?

Burnett: What do I make of the roster? To be honest with you, I haven’t looked at the roster, number one. Number two, what the roster looks like now is not what it’s going to look like come September 1, so who knows from myself to everybody to guy 53, who knows who’s going to be here? Nobody is exempt at this point…the mere fact that we’re having this conversation proves that.

Q: What were your primary factors that you made you want to sign with the Raiders?

Burnett: It had to be a fit. It had to be a need and it had to be something that I think we were all willing to do. More importantly, you had to have the money, the economics, the coaching, it all had to be right. That’s all part of the fit.

Q: How much of a sibling rivalry…what kind of relationship do you guys have football-wise?

Burnett: Oh man, that’s my brother. I think the biggest thing was I told him was I wasn’t coming in to play the same position as my brother. I’ll go on record saying that. I want to make sure that we all understand that I’m coming in here to assist my brother, first and foremost, and come in here and play the best I can, provide leadership, and ownership of your responsibilities. Other than that, I can’t go out and win games solely by myself. It’s a team game, so this is going to be a true test of every man on the team’s ability to come together and play as one and be one heartbeat.

Q: Even though Tony Sparano was an offensive guy, did that play any part in terms of maybe signing with the Raiders, knowing that you had somebody to help vouch for you in terms of what you did in Miami even though it was one year he got to see you play?

Burnett: Oh me and Tony go back. Tony is actually out of those eight years I’ve been in the league, he’s seen me play in five of them, so he’s been my head coach for one, but we were together four years, however many years in Dallas, but he’s been able to watch me grow and mature as a player. I think it was very important to me getting here because I don’t think I was even on the radar and I don’t think they would have brought me in without Tony having the first-hand experience with me.

Q: What was it like when you found out that your brother had made the Raiders roster at the end of the season? What was your guys’ dynamic at that point?

Burnett: We were both excited. It was exciting just to know that now you have two of you playing in the National Football League. I’m not sure if there’s ever in the history of the NFL, been two brothers that have played on the same team. I’d have to do my homework on it. I want to say that’s a first. It’ll probably be more exciting if we’re on the field at the same time.

Steve Corkran

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

If we get Warmack, why does everyone assume he’d be at LG? I’d rather have him at RG leading sweeps and whatnot.

• rediaR

MistaBrown Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:41 am
    Then I suggest you open up your wallet and pay his salary.
    _____

Raider O Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:36 am

I want to give McClain another chance. I’m not ready to give up on a 23 yo kid. Most of the kids in this draft are 22-23.
    ——————
    Most of the kids in this draft haven’t, reportedly, talked serious sh!t to the HC.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I want to keep McClain, if He is willing to take a pay cut.

• guest123

Give Jogger a stadium consession so fan can throw their popcorn at him while he chants “Peanuts!”

• DKnight007

Keep McClain if he takes way less money and see what he can do in the 3-4 which suits his skills much better or try and trade him to some sucker team for a 5th Rounder.

• guest123

**********

Most of the kids haven’t cashed multi-million checks either. Attitude changes when the money comes.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RediaR Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:45 am

======================================

And then been arrested because they refused to write their correct name on a traffic ticket.

• rediaR

Guest123 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Before you get all excited about Blount, he has frying pan hands out of the backfield and can’t and wont block anyone, just ducks his head and says “ole!”. He’s a very one-dimensional back that some people like to call a “power back” but the reality is his stats suck on short yardage and GL carries.

He does have a cool looking hurdle move though!
    ———————
    Yeah, he’s like a more athletic M.Bush with a smaller range of good qualities.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The reality is that the Raiders are going to be worse than last year.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• DutchRaider77

451.Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:45 am

_________________________________________________

Briesel? Lol, seems he has less leverage to stay at RG than last year. Remember Coop had to switch for Briesel?

• NGRaiderfan

416.theghostronin79 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:27 am
    I wouldn’t take a TE in the first personally, although its not a bad pick. I just think we need to go defense with the top of the draft. i would go, if i had that scenario, best pass rusher, trufant, best big DL in the second, mathieu in the third.

===========

Oh yeah; for sure……I wasn’t suggesting we take a TE in the 1st. Just that I prefer Zach over Tyler. There’s plenty of good TE’s in this draft that we could pick up a nice one later on. Plus I think Ausburry has alot to offer. Maybe I’m missing something……But he looks like a HOG with the ball in his hands.

================

I know, it would be nice to be able to know why certain players are playing or not playing. we, as fans, saw ausberry do real good things almost every time he got the ball in his hands, maybe we are missing a key element that he just doesn’t have. maybe he doesn’t know the plays, blocking schemes, etc. i don’t know. he looked real good when he got the ball though. played WR in college. same thing with pryor. i understand him not starting bc of palmer, but i don;t know, at least late in the season he wasn’t moved up to #2 on the depth chart, just so he could get more practice reps. or Des Bryant, why did he have to wait for seymour to get injured to start seeing consistent PT. what did they see or not see in van dye, checkwa that they saw in ross, adams, pat lee, coye francies. i’m not saying that they are wrong they mioght have good reasons. I would just like to know those reasons.

• raiderinparadise

That is true tho, McClain is young, very.

But he seems like a trainwreck of an attitude.

I can’t imagine him keeping in shape or training in off-season, i picture him on a couch all day and club allll night.

• jackasspuria

ESPN’s John “Ponytail” Clayton breaks down cap space.

Via ESPN AFC West Blogger Bill Williamson:

Via the great John Clayton, I have some updated NFL salary cap numbers for each AFC West team. Remember, the salary cap is always fluid, so this is more of a guide of where each team stands as free agency moves to the second phase.

Oakland Raiders

Cap room: $7.54 million

Comment: This does not include the deals for Nick Roach, Pat Sims and Kevin Burnett. The Raiders can find some more room by restructuring or cutting Carson Palmer and Tommy Kelly.

Denver Broncos

Cap room: $8.44 million

Comment: This is a result of the Elvis Dumervil fiasco. Denver needs to find a pass-rusher whether it’s Dumervil or another player.

Kansas City Chiefs

Cap room: $5.48 million

Comment: This does not include the deal for lineman Geoff Schwartz. The Chiefs can find some more room, but they’ve done a lot of heavy lifting so far.

San Diego Chargers

Cap room: $9.95 million

Comment: This does not include the deals for Derek Cox and Ronnie Brown, so the number is closer to $7 million.

• rediaR

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:45 am
    ———————
    That’s just where he played in college mostly. Put together that O-Line in whatever order suits it. He’ll be a beast either way. If we don’t pick him I hope the someone does before the Chargers. I don’t want him ending up there.

• guest123

Briesel was a horrible call by Reggie. Shoulda taken his dead money now while we are in full on cap-management mode.

• R8ER MIKE

guest123 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:30 am
    I would be all over LaGarrette Blount ….. rookie year over 1,000 and new coach comes in and he isn’t even used.

only 26 yrs old …. bucs wanna draft pick, but a player trade is possible too….

Rolando for Blount

**********

lol

that would be classic! Would have a ‘blount’ and a ‘roach’ on the same team!

*********************
    looks like i would be buying 2 jerseys !!
    how cool if one wears #4 and the other # 20 !!!

• Plunketthead

I am surprised some of you want to give Rolo another chance. Taking away his ML duties, maybe switch to 3-4 and he becomes a probowler?
    That would be fantastic, same if TP could take over and be a dam good QB.

Charlie, Guest, Raider O and everyone else
    Fill out a bracket and play pick em

Rumor is firebaby is gonna have a special trophy for the winner

• jackasspuria

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:48 am
    The reality is that the Raiders are going to be worse than last year.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

—————–

The reality is that Mark Davis’ hair is going to be worse than last year.

CUT MARK’S HAIR NOW.

• NGRaiderfan

459.Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:48 am
    The reality is that the Raiders are going to be worse than last year.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

================

I think the raiders will be better just by not having knapp and switching back to pbs.

that alone will make us a better overall team. makes the offense more efficient, bigger plays, less negative runs.

that in turn keep the defense off the field more, more rest. Our defense usually, not all the tme, but usually started off games pretty well and then faded towards the end, probably bc of lack of depth and being on the field too much. reggie is trying to fix the depth issue by adding solid vets and hopefully having a good draft, the offensive change back will help the issue of being on the field too much.

• irjonny

i expect the raiders to take a look at felix jones at some point

• The Big Banana

Raider O Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:46 am
    I want to keep McClain, if He is willing to take a pay cut.

—–

That’s the problem, O. Why would he? He doesn’t see eye to eye with the HC. Why take a cut to stay when he can force the team’s hand and play for someone else?

• jackasspuria

From ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson

Some highlights:

Burnett is a 3-4 linebacker, and the team also has signed Nick Roach and Kaluka Maiava. The Raiders like second-year linebacker Miles Burris, who started as a rookie. I doubt the team plans to give Burris less playing time, so there’s reason to believe all four of these linebackers will have a starting role.

The versatile Lamarr Houston could be a nice 3-4 defensive end. The team signed 335-pound Pat Sims and he could be strong anchor at nose tackle. Perhaps Tommy Kelly could be kept at a reduced price to play some nose tackle as well.

• jackasspuria

Raiders cap room not as much as people thought.

Via ESPN’s John Clayton:

Oakland Raiders

Cap room: $7.54 million

• rediaR

R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:51 am
    guest123 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:30 am

only 26 yrs old …. bucs wanna draft pick, but a player trade is possible too….

Rolando for Blount

**********

lol

that would be classic! Would have a ‘blount’ and a ‘roach’ on the same team!

*********************
    looks like i would be buying 2 jerseys !!
    how cool if one wears #4 and the other # 20 !!!
    ———————
    Watch out. We might end up trading for Branden WEEDen if this goes much further

• raiderfankirk

Has Hillis signed with anyone yet?

• irjonny

———
    oh god! that would be horrible lol

• raiderfankirk

Weeden passes to Blount, and gets smoked. Next play is by Roach.

• NGRaiderfan

if we switch to 3-4, we just need to OLB who can rush the passer. miles burris was good at it in college, maybe he could excel at it, maybe not. drafting a jarvis jones, dion jordan, mingo type to rush on the other side would be a good start i think, that is if we go 3-4. Most 3-4 teams dont have pass rushing lineman, they have 3 big hogs who take up blocks for the MLB to make plays in the run game. if we go 3-4 those are the types of guys we would need to go after. we already have 1 in houston, maybe another in sims/bilukidi. we can get a real good one late in the 1st, 2nd. and in most mocks geathers from georgia is stil there in the 3rd so there are options. no guarantee we are going 3-4 though.

• inonewordraider

kelly WAS a beast end at one time

• RaidingTexas

Jackasspuria Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:54 am
    Raiders cap room not as much as people thought.

Via ESPN’s John Clayton:

Oakland Raiders

Cap room: $7.54 million

——————————————–

Not sure what his 2013 cap hit is, but here are Roach’s numbers:

Vic Tafur @VicTafur 8m
    Numbers are in. #Raiders signed LB Nick Roach last week for $13 million over 4 years, of which $5 mil is guaranteed. Per

• Gdog

Raiders cap room not as much as people thought.

Via ESPN’s John Clayton:

Oakland Raiders

Cap room: $7.54 million

>>>>

Yawn. We have TONS next season though… it just means we structure the new contracts differently is all.

If we were over-cap next season I would be worried.

• raiderinparadise

I think some people forgot about Johnny Jones III, another reggie former packer addition to DL.

He has a huge upside.

• R8ER MIKE

rediaR Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:55 am
    Watch out. We might end up trading for Branden WEEDen if this goes much further
    *******************
    ?? what .. are you high ??

• willy91137

we are just fans trying to sound intelligent about football

we don’t see the players in practice on tape

we see him make one or two good plays and we say that guys really good

THE COACH probably not so much

whateverT\E we get he has to be a good run blocker
    __________________________________________________________

anybody in here that would want Reggie’s job ???????????????? besides Dr. TROLL

• hwnrdr

483.R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    rediaR Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:55 am
    Watch out. We might end up trading for Branden WEEDen if this goes much further
    *******************
    ?? what .. are you high ??

You wanna get high? You wanna get high? I wasn’t looking at his neck!

• guest123

Watch out. We might end up trading for Branden WEEDen if this goes much further

***********

‘clown for clowney’ strategy.

• R8ER MIKE

lol lol.. classic Hwnrdr !!!!
    smoke .. yeah i can get you some smoke …

• hwnrdr

487.R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    lol lol.. classic Hwnrdr !!!!
    smoke .. yeah i can get you some smoke …

LOL

• DutchRaider77

@hwnrdr

So have you had any doubts on your future raider ticket purchases?

Last week, I was a little down, I am feeling better with Reggie’s Surge of signings…

• da trinity

IMO Dee Milliner is the key to our draft. Option #1 is we draft him. Option # 2, Reggie can use him as leverage to trade down. Lions,browns and other teams will emerge as the draft approaches. And maybe if we trade with lions, we can trade down even more with buffalo for their pick. Make it happen Reggie

• hwnrdr

489.DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    @hwnrdr

So have you had any doubts on your future raider ticket purchases?

Nah…I will renew today! Like I mentioned last week…if i have to, I will sell a few off if the team is really bad! But I like my seats so I will keep them!

• hwnrdr

487.R8ER MIKE Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    lol lol.. classic Hwnrdr !!!!
    smoke .. yeah i can get you some smoke …

Now I have that stuck in my head now…LOL
    “Mother talking to me trying to teach me how to live!” Da da daa…da da daa….da da dahhh!

• SR Raider

You better leave your friend here, ’cause we’re gonna go see some people, and they don’t like strange dudes

• rediaR

Da Trinity Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    ————
    I agree with this. The lions’ biggest need is CB imo, and there is plenty of reason to think Milliner wont be there by the time they pick.

• raiderinparadise

You all heard Greg Knapp tripped on the fax machine cord, so dumerville got released.

• DutchRaider77

495.raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

________________________________________________

Raider Sleeper agent?

• Charlie

Trinity

Everyone in the league knows we have to build our lines in the draft.

No one is being bluffed by anything involving what the Raiders will do.

We are not drafting a QB, WR or DB with our first pick.

We only trade down if someone wants to get ahead of someone else.
    Our needs are beyond obvious.

• NGRaiderfan

495.raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

===============

that would be the best thing he’s done for the raiders. probably the only good thing. haha

• rediaR

That sounds like a Greg Knapp thing to do. Are we sure there wasn’t a QB meeting in the room with the fax machine and Knapp confused it with Brock Osweiler and took it outside to “teach it what he knows”?

• realtruraider

hwnrdr Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:26 am
    Funny how Bush did not want to be here, hence his leaving, even if to be a back up to Forte!

——————————————————

He wanted to get paid and that he did, can’t blame a player for that. No way Reggies was goin to pay him what the Bears did