Newest Raider Burnett speaks with media

Here is the transcript from a conference call with linebacker Kevin Burnett a short time after he signed with the Raiders on Sunday:

Q: When you got released from the Dolphins, how long before you got on the phone with your brother [current Raiders LB Kaelin Burnett]?

Burnett: I don’t think anybody was too excited about calling me at that point. I mean, I didn’t talk to him until a couple of days ago when I was on my way to Oakland actually. Well, actually wait, let me back that up. I got released, I told him that day, I was supposed to fly out the night I got released, so the day … so that was the day I talked to him.

Q: When you were in Miami, were you primarily a ‘4-3 under’ defense? What was that like in terms of coming over to the Raiders and Coach Allen said he wanted a multiple defense being it’ll be more 3-4…is there something you’re more comfortable playing or something you just know you can adapt and play that type of scheme?

Burnett: Coming in and meeting with the coaching staff and what they want to accomplish, defense is defense actually, either you’re good or you’re bad. Middle of the pack, usually middle of the pack doesn’t get it done, so what I’ve been told is we’re trying to make best fit today and at this point, it’s what about where you fit in. The personnel fit really well for them and I look forward to coming and playing, so I think they’ll change for the players. To answer your question real short, they’re going to change their defense to what we do best. It’s going to be a matter of us putting together the pieces one by one, so whatever we pick up is what we’ll run.

Q: How did this whole process come about? How quickly did you hear from the Raiders and did you hear from any teams?

Burnett: I heard from teams rather quickly. These were probably the longest four days of my life. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling. The Raiders, they were in it from day one. This is all a blur for me right now, so I really can’t answer that question. It all happened fairly quick, I’ll put it that way.

Q: Three years ago, when the Raiders had some interest in you, what do you recall of that meeting with the Raiders and how close did you come to being a Raider back then?

Burnett: The only thing I remember about that was I know I didn’t get an offer from the Raiders. So I came in, took a physical and never got an offer and that was the end of it. I flew out…I came in, took a physical and I flew out probably 12:30-1:00 that day. It was an opportunity that just didn’t come to fruition, but now I’m a Raider, so who cares about it.

Q: Having played the Raiders each of the past three seasons, what do you make of the roster?

Burnett: What do I make of the roster? To be honest with you, I haven’t looked at the roster, number one. Number two, what the roster looks like now is not what it’s going to look like come September 1, so who knows from myself to everybody to guy 53, who knows who’s going to be here? Nobody is exempt at this point…the mere fact that we’re having this conversation proves that.

Q: What were your primary factors that you made you want to sign with the Raiders?

Burnett: It had to be a fit. It had to be a need and it had to be something that I think we were all willing to do. More importantly, you had to have the money, the economics, the coaching, it all had to be right. That’s all part of the fit.

Q: How much of a sibling rivalry…what kind of relationship do you guys have football-wise?

Burnett: Oh man, that’s my brother. I think the biggest thing was I told him was I wasn’t coming in to play the same position as my brother. I’ll go on record saying that. I want to make sure that we all understand that I’m coming in here to assist my brother, first and foremost, and come in here and play the best I can, provide leadership, and ownership of your responsibilities. Other than that, I can’t go out and win games solely by myself. It’s a team game, so this is going to be a true test of every man on the team’s ability to come together and play as one and be one heartbeat.

Q: Even though Tony Sparano was an offensive guy, did that play any part in terms of maybe signing with the Raiders, knowing that you had somebody to help vouch for you in terms of what you did in Miami even though it was one year he got to see you play?

Burnett: Oh me and Tony go back. Tony is actually out of those eight years I’ve been in the league, he’s seen me play in five of them, so he’s been my head coach for one, but we were together four years, however many years in Dallas, but he’s been able to watch me grow and mature as a player. I think it was very important to me getting here because I don’t think I was even on the radar and I don’t think they would have brought me in without Tony having the first-hand experience with me.

Q: What was it like when you found out that your brother had made the Raiders roster at the end of the season? What was your guys’ dynamic at that point?

Burnett: We were both excited. It was exciting just to know that now you have two of you playing in the National Football League. I’m not sure if there’s ever in the history of the NFL, been two brothers that have played on the same team. I’d have to do my homework on it. I want to say that’s a first. It’ll probably be more exciting if we’re on the field at the same time.

Steve Corkran

Brock Osweiler

***

who??

the guy from Spider-Man?

• Charlie

Gdog.
    We have an incredible $32 million in dead cap money THIS SEASON AT THIS TIME. It could get even higher!

It will not all be gone next year.
    It will be better but it will take till 2015 to get our cap situation relatively clean and competitive with every oone else in the league.

• inonewordraider

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter
    Saints announced they signed TE Ben Watson to a three-year deal.

Expand Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Charlie, even you have to admit that some of that dead cap money is because of Reggie’s bad dealings.

• Charlie

Kelly is 32 and grossly overpaid.

Kelly was NEVER A BEAST AGAINST GOOD COMPETITION!!!!

He had a few good games against weak teams and Mr. Davis made a huge mistake in giving him the contract he did.

KELLY 32 years old. Undrafted free agent signed most lucrative deal for a DT in NFL history. Easily neutralized by good Olines. Only applies rush pressure against weak fronts. Has been part of Dlines that are routinely shredded by good running backs at an embarrassingly high statistical level. The Tampa game should tell you how quickly he can disappear.

One of several reasons we have not been able to stop the run for the last decade.

Kelly is an embarrasment and will take less this year or he is gone.

• inonewordraider

IF dumervil is signed elsewhere, is there any way they upgrade that position?

• JLofty

Aren’t Burnett and Maiava both weak side LBs pirmarily?

Who’s gonna go strong?

• rediaR

They will get Freeney as a 1-2 year stopgap as they hope to ride out Peyton into the Superbowl sunset.

• DutchRaider77
  • NGRaiderfan

506.inonewordraider Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:26 pm
    IF dumervil is signed elsewhere, is there any way they upgrade that position?

————–

are u talking about denver? i don’t know about upgrade but there are plenty of solid guys at the position. 3 that come to mind are abraham, freeney, and umenyiora. all would definitely hold their own in dunmerville’s spot. probably for cheaper too. there will also be pass rushers available when they pick in the draft. let’s just sit and hope they miss on everything thhey try from here on out.

• inonewordraider

IF dumervil is signed elsewhere, is there any way they upgrade that position?

507.JLofty Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    Aren’t Burnett and Maiava both weak side LBs pirmarily?

Who’s gonna go strong?

______
    burris

• rediaR

JLofty Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    Aren’t Burnett and Maiava both weak side LBs pirmarily?

Who’s gonna go strong?
    ——————-
    Burris? Dion Jordan? Maiva? Whatever Tarver and DA think is best?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

JLofty Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    Aren’t Burnett and Maiava both weak side LBs pirmarily?

Who’s gonna go strong?

===================================

I’d guess Burnett, with Maiava at WILB and Roach at SILB.

• guest123

I think Roach will go strong, burris in the middle.

• rediaR

DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:29 pm
    Kinda shocking, no really interest in James Harrison…

———————–
    All you really need to read.
    “big money for a declining, injury-prone edge rusher no longer pressuring quarterbacks on a consistent basis”

• Charlie

Dr.

To my knowledge there is not one dollar of dead money attributed to ANY player Reggie has brought to the Raiders to date.

Dead money is when you are paying a player no longer on the roster.

The only negative thing I have seen in the short tenure of this regime was bringing in Knapp and attempting to use the ZBS scheme (WE USED SUCCESFULLY UNDER CABLE).

I assure you, we did not go 4-12 because of Knapp.

We lack player talent and it will take at least three full seasons starting in 2012 for us to attract a critical mass of talent that can compete GIVEN THE LACK OF PICKS AND CAP ISSUES FACING THIS FRANCHISE AT THE END OF 2011.

• raiderinparadise

I would take James Harrison in a heartbeat, at vet minimum.

• inonewordraider

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL
    In keeping with the new way, Raiders LB Nick Roach slated to earn $715,000 base salary for 2013. No signees paid more than $1 million base.

Expand Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Inonewordraider Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL

Expand Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

================================

Reggie’s getting us good players at cut rates. Awesome.

• Charlie

Redia R

Exactly

Those are the mistakes of the past.

We would never offer Dumerville more than a one year deal.
    He will find someone else willing to pay more.

His best choice is to stay put. He will at least get a shot at a title.

At 29 as a lineman his career is just about over.

• Charlie

Paradise.

Aging FA only go to contenders for minimum wage.

No chance he comes to Oakland. NONE.

• realtruraider

raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    I would take James Harrison in a heartbeat, at vet minimum.

—————————————————

31 other teams would sign him for that I would think. He must still want big money or some schit

• Raider_D

inonewordraider Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL

Expand Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

———————–

Love the deals that are being put in place.

• raiderinparadise

Well, in theory James Harrison wants money and contender, but if he gets neither and doesn’t want to hang em up, he can come to OAK and take runs at Alex Smith, Rivers and Manning, plus oak plays pitt again in OAK.

• DJ Johnny

This from Chicago Tribune:

Here is a complete look at Roach’s contract:

2013 $3.185 million signing bonus, $715,000 base salary, $125,000 workout bonus
    Total: $4.025 million
    Cap figure: $1.63625 million

2014 $2.85 million base salary, $125,000 workout bonus
    Total: $2.975 million
    Cap figure: $3.77125 million

2015 $2.8 million base salary, $125,000 workout bonus
    Total: $2.925 million
    Cap figure: $3.72125 million

2016 $2.95 million base salary, $125,000 workout bonus
    Total: $3.075 million
    Cap figure: $3.87125 million

NOTE: Roach’s $715,000 base salary in 2013 is fully guaranteed and $1.1 million of his 2014 base salary is fully guaranteed.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

When I reload without commenting it defaults to my last comment so I have to scroll up to the new comments.
    Been happening for about two weeks.
    Any body else notice this?
    Or did I accidently tweak something in firefox or wordpress?

• DutchRaider77

515.rediaR Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:29 pm
    Kinda shocking, no really interest in James Harrison…

———————–
    All you really need to read.

_______________________________________________

Crazy part is that he may have to take a deal less than what the Steelers were offering to restructure (pay cut). Huge failure by his agent…

• DutchRaider77

524.raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

_______________________________________________

Really cannot seeing it happening…but I bet James Harrison in a Raiders’ jersey would be some nice cash for endorsement deals (ie commercials)…the bad guy

• Priesttj12

Charlie Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    Dr.

Dead money is when you are paying a player no longer on the roster.

I assure you, we did not go 4-12 because of Knapp.

***************************************
    Would you like some cheese with that whine?

• Gdog

I assure you, we did not go 4-12 because of Knapp.

>>>>

If we return to a top ten offense and a minimum of 8 wins again, would you become convinced??

• JLofty

Who’s next up to bat for Oakland?

Porter@CB? Need a few of those still…

• Priesttj12

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:26 pm
    **************************
    These cats aint gonna admit suqt Doc it’s all about the bkame game with them…..period

• SilverNBlackPA

realtruraider Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:42 pm
    raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    I would take James Harrison in a heartbeat, at vet minimum.

—————————————————

++++++++

I’m positive he does. I live in Pittsburgh. Dude is an arrogant fck and his agent is clueless.

• JLofty

Man when one looks at our roster, it is freaking THIN!

We got SOOOO little depth it is kind of amazing…

• Priesttj12

Poor lil Reggie fat ass just couldn’t overcome the big bad wolf Al Davis so we lost games and regressed whine whine whine every freakin day………get ova it!

• R8ER MIKE

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:46 pm
    Been happening for about two weeks.
    Any body else notice this?
    Or did I accidently tweak something in firefox or wordpress?

********************
    not sure what it is, but it does the same thing when i am useing my kindle fire. work computer doesnt do that
    when i refreash. if you figure it out let me know !!

• SilverNBlackPA

If the Raiders don’t sign one more defensive tackle (Alan Branch still available, Reg!) I’m going to be convinced Star Lotulelei will be the pick.

If they do, then I’m curious as whether they’ll go o-line (Fisher, Warmack), pass rusher (Jones, Jordan) or CB (Milliner)

• raiderinparadise

Just read on nfl.com the baltimore ravens are the only team to contact James Harrisons agent lol.

wowwwwwww

• Dakota

Mike Haynes looks like he could still play.

• Priesttj12

Turn the freakin PAGE will ya’?

You got what most of ya’ been askin’ for forever it seems like. So take what you came into it with your eyes wide open and deal with it.

Stop with the poor Reggie whine, he’s doin’ whatever he’s going to do so just live with it already.

• DJ Johnny

Since when is 30 yr’s old too old to be an effective pass rusher and only worth a one yr deal?

• jesusraiderjim

lol

that would be classic! Would have a ‘blount’ and a ‘roach’ on the same team!

*********************
    looks like i would be buying 2 jerseys !!
    how cool if one wears #4 and the other # 20 !!!
    =======================================================

CLASSIC! Only on the NATIONS blog.

Love it hope it happens.

• SilverNBlackPA

raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

wowwwwwww

++++++++++++++

He’s a well documented headcase and his talent doesn’t justify the distraction anymore.

• raiderinparadise

Yeremiah Bell … he a SS tho

• SilverNBlackPA

DJ Johnny Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

++++++++

Barring injury, Dumervil has at least 4 good seasons left in him you’d have to think, particularly as an OLB in the 3-4. He piled up 17 sacks in a season playing that position and that was before he had Von Miller on the other side to distract the offensive line.

• ron69

I think Reggie is playing his chips pretty smart and this is why

1. He knows Chiefs and Jags won’t take Milliner

2. With all these lb’s signings and keeping Kelly he is setting the draft to take Milliner at 3

3. He knows Eagles, Lions, and Browns need corner in the Worst way.

4. The corner free agent market is pretty dry.

It’s obvious to me he wants to deal with any of these teams for a 2nd rounder, if he doesn’t make the deal he’s taking Milliner anyway.

Which player would he take in this scenario? Could be Star, Warmack, Jones or even Patterson, it’s a win-win situation.

• Gdog

Charlie Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Gdog.

It will not all be gone next year.

>>>>

Unless we took the June 1st option, most of that dead money gets taken off THIS YEAR.

Here’s where Spotrac has us:

62 mill cap figure… Denver is at 97 mill in comparison.

• Priesttj12

Never seen such freakin crybabies….

Reggie has a job to do either he does it or he doesn’t plain and simple. This crazy ass whining day in day out makes no sense. Al Davis has been dead going on 2 years yet these fools still want to use that as an excuse why something aingt getting done.

Move the hell on….

• DJ Johnny

We need to bring on DaCody Fagg..the FA WR from Fla. St.

and pick up John Smelley the FA TE from Alabama and trade for Michael Fugger the DE.

Then we’d have the trifecta…a Smelley, Fugger Fagg.

• raiderinparadise