Newest Raider Burnett speaks with media

Here is the transcript from a conference call with linebacker Kevin Burnett a short time after he signed with the Raiders on Sunday:

Q: When you got released from the Dolphins, how long before you got on the phone with your brother [current Raiders LB Kaelin Burnett]?

Burnett: I don’t think anybody was too excited about calling me at that point. I mean, I didn’t talk to him until a couple of days ago when I was on my way to Oakland actually. Well, actually wait, let me back that up. I got released, I told him that day, I was supposed to fly out the night I got released, so the day … so that was the day I talked to him.

Q: When you were in Miami, were you primarily a ‘4-3 under’ defense? What was that like in terms of coming over to the Raiders and Coach Allen said he wanted a multiple defense being it’ll be more 3-4…is there something you’re more comfortable playing or something you just know you can adapt and play that type of scheme?

Burnett: Coming in and meeting with the coaching staff and what they want to accomplish, defense is defense actually, either you’re good or you’re bad. Middle of the pack, usually middle of the pack doesn’t get it done, so what I’ve been told is we’re trying to make best fit today and at this point, it’s what about where you fit in. The personnel fit really well for them and I look forward to coming and playing, so I think they’ll change for the players. To answer your question real short, they’re going to change their defense to what we do best. It’s going to be a matter of us putting together the pieces one by one, so whatever we pick up is what we’ll run.

Q: How did this whole process come about? How quickly did you hear from the Raiders and did you hear from any teams?

Burnett: I heard from teams rather quickly. These were probably the longest four days of my life. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling. The Raiders, they were in it from day one. This is all a blur for me right now, so I really can’t answer that question. It all happened fairly quick, I’ll put it that way.

Q: Three years ago, when the Raiders had some interest in you, what do you recall of that meeting with the Raiders and how close did you come to being a Raider back then?

Burnett: The only thing I remember about that was I know I didn’t get an offer from the Raiders. So I came in, took a physical and never got an offer and that was the end of it. I flew out…I came in, took a physical and I flew out probably 12:30-1:00 that day. It was an opportunity that just didn’t come to fruition, but now I’m a Raider, so who cares about it.

Q: Having played the Raiders each of the past three seasons, what do you make of the roster?

Burnett: What do I make of the roster? To be honest with you, I haven’t looked at the roster, number one. Number two, what the roster looks like now is not what it’s going to look like come September 1, so who knows from myself to everybody to guy 53, who knows who’s going to be here? Nobody is exempt at this point…the mere fact that we’re having this conversation proves that.

Q: What were your primary factors that you made you want to sign with the Raiders?

Burnett: It had to be a fit. It had to be a need and it had to be something that I think we were all willing to do. More importantly, you had to have the money, the economics, the coaching, it all had to be right. That’s all part of the fit.

Q: How much of a sibling rivalry…what kind of relationship do you guys have football-wise?

Burnett: Oh man, that’s my brother. I think the biggest thing was I told him was I wasn’t coming in to play the same position as my brother. I’ll go on record saying that. I want to make sure that we all understand that I’m coming in here to assist my brother, first and foremost, and come in here and play the best I can, provide leadership, and ownership of your responsibilities. Other than that, I can’t go out and win games solely by myself. It’s a team game, so this is going to be a true test of every man on the team’s ability to come together and play as one and be one heartbeat.

Q: Even though Tony Sparano was an offensive guy, did that play any part in terms of maybe signing with the Raiders, knowing that you had somebody to help vouch for you in terms of what you did in Miami even though it was one year he got to see you play?

Burnett: Oh me and Tony go back. Tony is actually out of those eight years I’ve been in the league, he’s seen me play in five of them, so he’s been my head coach for one, but we were together four years, however many years in Dallas, but he’s been able to watch me grow and mature as a player. I think it was very important to me getting here because I don’t think I was even on the radar and I don’t think they would have brought me in without Tony having the first-hand experience with me.

Q: What was it like when you found out that your brother had made the Raiders roster at the end of the season? What was your guys’ dynamic at that point?

Burnett: We were both excited. It was exciting just to know that now you have two of you playing in the National Football League. I’m not sure if there’s ever in the history of the NFL, been two brothers that have played on the same team. I’d have to do my homework on it. I want to say that’s a first. It’ll probably be more exciting if we’re on the field at the same time.

Steve Corkran

• Charlie

Guest

I agree our dline is need of top help as well.

I simply think the oline improvement gets us better faster as a team.
    IMO our Oline has three proven NFL players (Veld,Wiz, Brisiel).
    The Dline has one Houston.
    Very bad situation.

I believe we will use our top two picks for the next two years on lineman.

OT,OG,DT and DE are all critical priorites.

We will go after DB’s WR’s and RB’ in round three or later.

• theghostronin79

Raiders pick (1)CB Trufant, (1)TE Tyler Eifert, (2)S Eric Reid, (3)QB Tyler Bray

i don’t know. the picks would be nice

============

I think I’m on the Ertz wagon over Eifert personally.

And NOBODY seems to be talking about Swope from A&M….That dude is tougher than SH*T…I saw him get lit the FU*K up by Alabama…a COUPLE times. Made the catch – got his clock cleaned….. Not only did he hang onto the ball, but he bounced right back to his feet and started sh*t talking the Bama Defenders.

• guest123

@ Gdog,

I hear your argument about O-line being “safe” picks. I think I could find a ton of high first rounders that didn’t pan out or were just considered ‘solid’ players. There are a few guys at the top of this draft board on the D-line that look like ‘impact’ players. To dig ourselves out of this hole we are in, we need to gamble on upside rather than to play it safe. Playing it safe neutralizes our picks value and normalizes the draft board so that better teams have just as much a shot at landing a star as we do, but with less invested.

I say go big or go home. Top of the draft board isn’t the time to shy from risk. We need a game changer there.

• Charlie

Duck

I told AIG earlier.
    Don’t bother with Dr. I have tried. It is a waste of time.

He does not comprehend our cap and lack of picks realities.

Willy I asked for Dr’s succession plan if we were to implement his incessant fire Reggie request.
    He has no plan.

• NGRaiderfan

388.DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:05 am
    Desmond Bryant is a better defensive lineman than anyone on our roster.

___________________________________________________

Really, Desmond Bryant is better than Lamar Houston?

Not in IMO…

===============

i agree. houston was better.

Mcfadden is better than bush. Bush is a career backup. when mcfadden went down he was good for 2 games and then fell off drastically, will always be a backup.

Kam wimbley was better than any pass rusher on our team, but he’s not great at that, he only had 6 sacks this year, and he sucks at everything else.

Phillip wheeler was good, no lie. but burnett had the same numbers as wheeler and was actually a vital part in a good defense, especially against the run. and he’s better in coverage.

Michael huff was the best CB on our roster, but he is a safety and he is not better than branch as a safety. soft as hell against the run, not great against the pass, takes horrible angles, etc. not nearly worth what he was getting. I’ll wait to see if we pick up any dbs in Fa or the draft, i’m sure we’ll get a guy who can replace him. Adams, when he was healthy late in the season, was probably better corner than huff also.

Brnadon myers was not our best receiver. he benefitted from everyone covering d moore, dhb, and streater and then worrying about dmc out of the backfield. no one cared about him. He started off real good. once he started doing good at the beginning of the season and teams started defending him he looked avg. at best. and he is the worst run blocking TE in the entire league. Ausberry is more of a playmaker when he got the ball anyway, he just didn’t get any PT for some reason, maybe he is a worse blocker, i don’t know, thats hard to do. myers is replacable though.

• willy91137

Dr. TROLL POUND SALT Reggie McKenzie will be GM for three more years may be more 173 DAY’S

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The POINT is Reggie inherited a back field of McFragile and Bush.

Now Reggie is left with just McFragile.

Get it.

Do the math.

The RB corps have become considerably weaker under Reggie.

Just like the entire roster.

Every position group is WEAKER than it was when Reggie got here.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• rediaR

Extend Houston, Veldheer, and Reece this summer, Reggie. Thanks.

• Charlie

Guest

This is not meant as a criticism but I think you are underestimating what a great Oline can do for the Raiders.

It was the foundation of the great Raider tradition of winning football.
    I had the privelege of seeing arguably the best Oline in the history of the NFL with the Raiders and it was the reason we had the dynasty we had back in the 60′s, 70′s and 80′s.

The Oline is the heart of the team. It makes every aspect of the entire team better.

Until we become more competitive we must draft for need.

Drafting best available is a privelege only competitive teams can afford. We have far too many massive holes on both lines.

• NGRaiderfan

402.theghostronin79 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:14 am

i don’t know. the picks would be nice

============

I think I’m on the Ertz wagon over Eifert personally.

================

I wouldn’t take a TE in the first personally, although its not a bad pick. I just think we need to go defense with the top of the draft. i would go, if i had that scenario, best pass rusher, trufant, best big DL in the second, mathieu in the third.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Charlie Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:16 am
    Duck

I told AIG earlier.
    Don’t bother with Dr. I have tried. It is a waste of time.

He does not comprehend our cap and lack of picks realities.

He has no plan.

=====================================

It’s the same thing with Al_is. When I ask who they would replace Reggie with and why they think that person would come here, all I get is stupid non-answers like “My grandmother’s foot doctor could do a better job” or whatever.

• Gdog

NGRaiderfan Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:16 am

388.DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:05 am
    Desmond Bryant is a better defensive lineman than anyone on our roster.

___________________________________________________

Really, Desmond Bryant is better than Lamar Houston?

>>>>>

Ironically PFF gave them both identical metrics… but for completely different reasons (+16.5)

Houston was rated high for his run defense (+17) Bryant for his Pass rushing (+16.8.)

For all the squealing fans do here about how horrible our pass rush was last season, its kinda curious that our top two pass rushers (according to PFF) were not resigned and nobody seemed to care.

Personally I think its the most overrated part of football. The key is unpredictability over constant pressure… most top QBs can beat pressure pretty easily if they know its coming.

• raiderinparadise

I like the 3 LB’s and I like Hunter and Sims.

Can’t knock any of those guys, ESPECIALLY per $ value.

The defense needs a Free Safety …. I know Brandian Ross will get work there and corner.

Zeke Motta a hard hitter from Notre Dame and pretty atheltic …. 3rd round guy.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Were we better off with Bryant and Houston or Houston and Sims?

The weakest roster in the NFL is getting weaker.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• hwnrdr

Funny how Bush did not want to be here, hence his leaving, even if to be a back up to Forte!

• theghostronin79

===========

Oh yeah; for sure……I wasn’t suggesting we take a TE in the 1st. Just that I prefer Zach over Tyler. There’s plenty of good TE’s in this draft that we could pick up a nice one later on. Plus I think Ausburry has alot to offer. Maybe I’m missing something……But he looks like a HOG with the ball in his hands.

• irjonny

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:21 am
    The POINT is Reggie inherited a back field of McFragile and Bush.

Now Reggie is left with just McFragile.

Get it.

Do the math.

The RB corps have become considerably weaker under Reggie.

Just like the entire roster.

Every position group is WEAKER than it was when Reggie got here.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    ——————————–

lmao that’s what a rebuild does!!! silly butt

• Charlie

Duck

Agreed. Total waste of time.

• Plunketthead

We need more people playing. sign up now before you forget

2013 at 5:45 am
    GROUP ID# 83397

password:draftgeno

Can any of you semis and wannabee semis pick BB games?
    I challenge you to step up and prove it

Winner gets two atta boys and a pat on the back

• guest123

Until we become more competitive we must draft for need.

^^^^^^^^^^
    @ Charlie,

I wholeheartedly agree with you on drafting for need. But our biggest need is D-line. We could stand to improve our O-line yes. But it’s the same unit that was a road grader for DMAC/Bush in 2011, pretty much. Save for Satele.

I’d love to have 2 top picks in the draft, but since we only have the one, my druthers say take a D-lineman that sorely needs a shot in the arm. If we don’t shore up the holes on the D-line with at least one blue chip talent, we are going to get run into the ground and a solid O-lineman won’t matter much as the ground game will be out and we’ll be reduced to pass pro in junk time.

Priorities/needs:

in order,

DL
    CB
    OL

• raiderinparadise

I would be all over LaGarrette Blount ….. rookie year over 1,000 and new coach comes in and he isn’t even used.

only 26 yrs old …. bucs wanna draft pick, but a player trade is possible too….

Rolando for Blount

• willy91137

And from the words of Willie Nelson yesterday is dead and tomorrow’s blind

( POUND THE ROCK)

173 DAY’S TO FOOTBALL

MONEY TALKS AND BULL S*IT WALKS

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 10:56 am
    I hear there’s a pro football league in India

***

is that where Ricky Williams went?

he should have hired Raider O as agent, translator and “herbs manager”
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL I agree, but I’m not Indian so what makes you think I can translate?

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

A rebuild is supposed to make the roster stronger not weaker.

Hence the word build.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• Gdog

The reason I want Warmack… CP with 2.6 seconds or more of time to pass, he was 10th in QB rating.

2.5 seconds or less? 20th.

Twice as bad.

• guest123

raiderinparadise Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:30 am

only 26 yrs old …. bucs wanna draft pick, but a player trade is possible too….

Rolando for Blount

**********

lol

that would be classic! Would have a ‘blount’ and a ‘roach’ on the same team!

• Charlie

Gdog

I have had this discussion with JFB.
    The stats approach is very misleading and really is not indicative of how weak we are especially on the lines.

Stats can be impacted by too many variables that over a 16 game season render them rather useless especially for line play.

The facts are that we are 9-51 against playoff teams for the last ten years losing by an average score of 30-13.
    The limeman we had for the most part were average to poor and grossly over paid.
    Watching the games show how badly our lines get pushed around, especially by good teams.

We have four legit starters on both lines (Veld, Wiz,Brisiel, Houston).
    The rest are either gone or are question marks.

Massive holes on the lines and not eneough picks to fix it this year.

• guest123

Gdog Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:32 am

2.5 seconds or less? 20th.

Twice as bad.

*******

Good point. But consider if we do nothing with the D-line. Do you think we stand a punchers chance against PM and the Broncos? Or any team that has a QB that can sit in the pocket 5 seconds?

• irjonny

A rebuild is supposed to make the roster stronger not weaker.

Hence the word build.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    —————————-
    you forgot the “re-” ……hopeless

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I want to give McClain another chance. I’m not ready to give up on a 23 yo kid. Most of the kids in this draft are 22-23.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lol Guest..

• irjonny

————————
    i’m down….if he takes less money

• Charlie

Guest

I respect your perspective.

Just remember. If we have the ball our defense can not be exposed.

If we can play with lead for a change our defense gets better.

I think we are on the same page, just a slight difference in priorities.

You are right about the missing 2nd round pick. I would love to trade down for one THIS year.
    Kind of doubt it will happen.

• willy91137

Dr. troll do you know what IN THE HELL YOU talking about you don’t know any more than anybody else in

An if you do apply for the job

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Sleeper FA signing prediction:

The Raiders will bring in WR Devin Aromashodu.

Why?:

- He’ll be a cheap camp player with NFL experience to come fight for a spot

- He’s been mostly a disappointment so far in his career but has twice shown a few consecutive games with good results that says there’s something to be tapped with the right coaching.

- He’s a good size/speed combo to replace DHB on the roster as a stretch the field threat that can also run block down field

- He’s a decent special teams cover guy

- When Reggie isn’t signing ex-Packers cast offs, he’s looking at players from division rivals that he’s familiar with. This guy played for Chicago 2008-10 and then Minnesota in 2011-12

- At 28 with 6 years experience, he’s at the end of his window to figure it out or not. Sometimes it’s a 3rd or 4th change of teams to find the right catalyst for this to happen for a WR later in their career (see Brandon Lloyd as an example)

- It’s a medium to long shot, but there’s little to lose here

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Irjonny Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    ————————
    i’m down….if he takes less money
    $$$$$$$$$$

Exactly.

• NGRaiderfan

412.Gdog Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:24 am
    NGRaiderfan Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:16 am

388.DutchRaider77 Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:05 am
    Desmond Bryant is a better defensive lineman than anyone on our roster.

___________________________________________________

Really, Desmond Bryant is better than Lamar Houston?

>>>>>

===============

i think having an elite pass rusher like ware, watt, von miller, etc. helps but just having a good pass rusher doesn’t help a ton, he has to be good at other things like stopping the run.

• raiderfankirk

Bucs trying to trade LeGarrette Blount

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT

AP
    The Buccaneers signed running back LeGarrette Blount to a one-year contract before the start of free agency, but that doesn’t mean he’ll play in Tampa this season.

In fact, the Bucs are trying to trade Blount, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

That’s no surprise. Blount was brought in by the previous regime in Tampa and never seemed like a good fit with head coach Greg Schiano. And in 2012 Blount was largely phased out of the offense in favor of rookie Doug Martin: Blount carried just 41 times for 151 yards, while Martin got the bulk of the carries and finished the season with 319 carries for 1,454 yards.

Blount is only 26 years old and only three years removed from a rookie season in which he carried 201 times for 1,007 yards, so it wouldn’t be surprising if some other team figures he’s worth a draft pick in a trade. Blount could provide value to some other team, even if the Bucs are ready to move on.

I want to give McClain another chance

***

Raider O does not give up, lol

re-sign Frantz Joseph!

• raiderinparadise

the front 7 is already better and we haven;t even had the draft or finished addiing players and camp bodies, undrafted guys, etc….

I’m happy with the D so far.

Now we can focuse on a FS, CB, DT

• rediaR

Gdog Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:32 am

2.5 seconds or less? 20th.

Twice as bad.
    —————-
    I luh me some Warmack. Would not be disapointed with that pick at all.

• raiderinparadise

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:41 am
    I want to give McClain another chance

***

Raider O does not give up, lol

re-sign Frantz Joseph!

—-

Call Darryl Blackstock

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Then I suggest you open up your wallet and pay his salary.
    _____

Raider O Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 11:36 am

• Charlie

jonny

McLain would need to take a league minimum salary because that is all he will get from anyone else.

I do not think he has any credibility with the Raiders any longer.

It seems like he is far too immature and the recent FA linebacker signings confirm he is gone.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lol RR.

McClain should rip up his existing contract and sign a 2-year $10 million contract with no guaranteed money and no bonus money

then we MIGHT be able to trade him!!

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

little willy, what record do you expect the Raiders to record next year?

• guest123

Before you get all excited about Blount, he has frying pan hands out of the backfield and can’t and wont block anyone, just ducks his head and says “ole!”. He’s a very one-dimensional back that some people like to call a “power back” but the reality is his stats suck on short yardage and GL carries.

He does have a cool looking hurdle move though!

• raiderinparadise

I think Warmack is the safest pick, and he would be inbetween our two best o-linemen… Veldheer and Wiz …. that would be great.

After that .. Shariff Floyd worries me, not his tape, but his attitude, he is one of those guys that doesn’t really follow football or the NFL … seems like he played CFB to check a paycheck only.

If thats the case reggie won;t touch him.

• Charlie

Willy

Forget about Dr.

Let it go.
    Dr is in a different zone far far away from reality.