Raiders add yet another veteran linebacker

The Raiders on Sunday signed veteran linebacker Kevin Burnett, the third linebacker added via free agency.
Burnett joins Kaluka Maiava and Nick Roach in the Raiders linebacking corps, which helps offset the departure of Philip Wheeler and the expected release of Rolando McClain.
Burnett, 30, started all 16 games each of the past three seasons — one with the San Diego Chargers and the past two with the Miami Dolphins.
Coincidentally, Burnett’s brother Kaelin also plays for the Raiders. He appeared in six games last season after being signed from the Raiders practice squad.
Burnett, 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds, has started 59 of the 120 games he played in during his first eight NFL seasons.

Steve Corkran

• RaiderRetribution

I just hope Francies doesn’t tackle his own teammates again, man was Dennis ticked.

• RaiderRetribution

We are all in agreement on one thingamajig; tradedown!

• DaTruth91

funny thing is, I can still see Reggie drafting a LB in the first 4 rds.

Just observing how Reggie works, Its kinda obvious to see who the Raiders wont take:

1. Geno Smith- He has a late rd grade, and Reggie is all about value. ( Smoke Screen)

2. Jarvis Jones & Star – Great players, but has huge medical history issues. (Gamble)

3. The Raiders will take a player who “Loves the game” and is great value. So I see them trading down and getting a DE. Reggie understands the importance of a edge rush, esp coming from Green Bay

• tonedeezy

happy with this LB group.

now we need some pass rushers and some DBs, oh yeah, and some OL.

• r00der

A top, step right in and start tackle goes high. IMO, THAT is our primary need on offense, within the situation we find ourselves in. It might take that 3rd pick to get that player, and if it becomes a fact…I hope ya’all respect it. Disagree, but again, I hope you respect it.

• RaiderRetribution

Monte Ball falling to us in the third or fourth would be great value pick; both Reece & McFadden are to be UFAs.

• DJ Johnny

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    Bill Williamson ‏@espn_afcwest

#Raiders Kevin Burnett is another legit NFL Starter. Good to see.

I don’t need Bill Williamson feeling sorry for us.

“Good to see”? So it’s surprising that we would actually have a legit NFL starter?

Maybe it is…lol. I still don’t like it.

• Raiders for life

Anyone like those electronic cigarettes?

• ohioraider

DaTruth91 Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

funny thing is, I can still see Reggie drafting a LB in the first 4 rds.

——————————
    You got it right.

• davidivad

Now lets move onto the secondary – requires a complete makeover as well. . . And please get rid of check down Palmer – he arrived and we started to lose and our run game started sucking due to his one dimensional predictability.

• r00der

Raider for life says: Anyone like those electronic cigarettes?

///

Yeah, but those extension cords are a biotch.

• rediaR

Reece, Veldheer, Houston, McFadden, Jano all FAs next offseason.

• inonewordraider

what do the reggie haters have to say now? RAIDERRRRRSSSSSSS

• inonewordraider

Houston Star Kelly
    Burnett Maiava Roach Burris
    Newman Adams
    Branch
    FA

best d we’ve had in years

• r00der

Check down qb’s. I love the guy, would like to have a few beers with him, but I hate what Manning has done to the game. Man, you get set…you’re set. You make a move towards the line of scrimmage…penalty. He’s got his tackles standing up, after setting, just to hear his voice. Fullbacks doing the same thing.
    What happened to the rules against all this? Help me out here.

• ohioraider

r00der Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Ohio sez: Let’s put this in context shall we? It took your hero 13 years (1963-1976) to win a Super Bowl.

/////
    That guy you write off so easily changed football, numb nuts. For the better. Has so many credentials in the field of management and leadership, its ridiculous to see your post. He directed the development of the AFL and forced the NFL to merge. Yeah, that guy. Brought racial equality to players, coaches and management. Built the likes you will never see again, but then again, here you are…sucking off his achievements. Root for Cleveland.
    —————————————-
    Listen up, pal. I’ve rooted for this team since 1970. I went to the 1983 playoff games, the last year we won the Super Bowl. I used to respect Al. But he let his own hubris nearly destroy the franchise. He’s guilty of the one of the worse sins a (once great) man can succumb to to: he believed in his own greatness long after it was apparent he needed to bow out and get some help. Pride before the fall my friend. A very banal human weakness. And, what’s more, everybody is aware of this, it would seem, but you.

So defend the last 20 years if you’d like, and start with the Al’s record.

History books are filled with talented people who didn’t know when to quit, who fell victim to their own hubris. Al couldn’t rise above it, apparently, and we’re all the worse for it.

And, just so you know, first NFL game I ever went to: Oct 4, 1971, Monday Night Football, Oakland vs. Cleveland. I rooted for the Raiders. We won 34-20. Still have the program.

So what else you want to lecture me about?

• Aphid

Speaking of OL, it would be nice to pickup a center and move Wiz back to LG. He and Veldheer appears to compliment each other, you know, synergistic.

As for WR, I wouldn’t mind a slower but excellent route runner who can get open for about 8 yards. It’s important inside the 10 when you don’t have much space and it favors the defense. If we don’t, the opposition will be stacking 8 in the box and the running game won’t be too productive. It might be like last year, reeking havoc between the 20s and having to depend on Seabass. I hate 3 pointers, rather have 7. Also good at moving the chains.

• ohioraider

r. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Why denigrate the late great Al Davis?

Show some respect.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    ————————————–
    So let’s start with this premise: nearly every single move Reggie McKenzie has made to date, with Mark Davis’ approval, has been to undo nearly every facet of this organization, top to bottom. So what’s that tell you?

And, dude, your posts to fire Reggie border on the absurd. Why don’t you come up with something new and original?

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Liars always provide too many details.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• r00der

You exist in your own mind only, Ohio? Read what I wrote. You thought enuff of it to repost it, completely. Notice any defense of the last 20 years?
    Curious thing, I’ve been a fan same amount of time. You and I at least have what the Raiders WERE locked in our psyches…and here we still are. I say to you again, what you posted was ridiculous…and uncalled for on a Raider blog. Criticize, even condemn the last ten years, CHUM, but what you wrote was stupid.

• ohioraider

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Liars always provide too many details.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    ———————————-
    You can’t handle the details, my friend. Didn’t get very far in school I bet. Registered Republican?

• Chris in NY

If Reggie gets a stud RT like Vollmer and then drafts an edge rusher in the 1st, other than Jarvis Jones, I could get on this bandwagon. Seems like decent LB signings including Burnett.

However, those are two pretty big ifs.

Oh, and keep Carson. If the Raiders can field a decent defense, solidify the o-line, and get DMC rolling in a contract year and return to the ZBS, you chumps will be singing a much different tune about Palmer because he will actually have some help.

• Chris in NY

Meant to say return to power blocking, not ZBS, obviously.

• ohioraider

r00der Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:39 pm

—————————————
    You calling it stupid doesn’t make it so. You have to engage with more debate than that. My last post stands on it’s own merits, unless you’d care to argue with my point of view. Al stayed to long. Now we’re still cleaning up the mess. And, here the key point: it didn’t have to be this way.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

What part of Ohio did you say you were from?

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• ron69

After the Burnett signing Milliner looks like the top pick and i’m loving It.

Fisher. Run blocking issues.
    Star. Health issues.
    Floyd. Overrated short armed.
    Warmack. Too high for a guard.
    Smith. Too many questions marks.

• r00der

If you noticed, OHIO, I have supported Reggie on this block, in fact, like what he is doing. THAT is not the subject matter we are involved in.
    The only defense I deem necessary, for this argument, is that you and I are STILL Raider fans. Why is that? As to this inane exchange, it started with your snide attack (apparently in your thinking a defense of Reggie) on Al Davis in the 60′s/70′s. You deny that? And I say again, your response was I was defending the last 20 years, which is patently stupid. Never did, never will. They suck.

• Chris in NY

Raiders for Life,
    The electronic cigs aren’t bad and definitely hel you kick the real ones and are probably a hundred thousand times better for you. Other than that, it’s nice to ditch the smell and restrictions of the real ones as far as when and where you can smoke. There’s no smell and the vapor goes away in a couple of seconds.

It’s still not quite the same though. No flavor and for me, if I’m out drinking I kind of need the real deal, at least for now. But all in all they may be the best way to help you kick true smoking.

• morilla

Ohioraider Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    r. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Why denigrate the late great Al Davis?

Show some respect.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    ————————————–

————-

They usually then just resort to pancakes. Then go back to screaming at kids to get off their lawns.

• Chris in NY

I’d stay away from Millner. Your pass coverage is only as good as your pass rush in my book. We’re not going to get a pass rusher in free agency and can’t wait another year to address that need, unless we’re just gunning for another top 3 pick.

• r00der

Chris, 172…totally agree.

• edward teach

157.DJ Johnny Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    Bill Williamson ‏@espn_afcwest

#Raiders Kevin Burnett is another legit NFL Starter. Good to see.

I don’t need Bill Williamson feeling sorry for us.

Maybe it is…lol. I still don’t like it.

********************************************************

Bill’s been around awhile. Yeah, he was a Bronco beat write but that just means he has contacts there. Beat writers aren’t necessarily fans of their teams. The homers are usually the radio and TV guys.

I’ve always appreciated his reporting and thought he was pretty level-headed. I think he, like a lot of people, think the league is better when the Raiders are good and he’s glad that we seem to be headed in the right direction. Just my 2 cents.

• Chris in NY

Ohioraider,
    We shall see. But before we bow down to Reggie can we remember that Mark Davis did not seem to approve of the way the 2012 season went and that the only tangible results Reggie has shown so far was a 4-12 season with some questionable moves taking over for a team that was 16-16 the two prior years.

When Reggie wins three Lombardi trophies and is inducted into the Hall of Fame we can start talking about him in the same light as Al Davis. Deal?

• RaiderRetribution

While all other GMs/HCs/Owners were watching selection sunday; Reggie was working and signing another solid Linebacker-
    Commitment to Excellence!

• ron69

Jarvis Jones could be the pick but still with a big hole at corner, i think Burris will be the designated pass rusher like he was in college.

• ohioraider

r00der Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:47 pm

The only defense I deem necessary, for this argument, is that you and I are STILL Raider fans. Why is that? As to this inane exchange, it started with your snide attack (apparently in your thinking a defense of Reggie) on Al Davis in the 60’s/70’s. You deny that? And I say again, your response was I was defending the last 20 years, which is patently stupid. Never did, never will. They suck.
    ——————————————–
    I’m agnostic on Reggie, other than to say: you need to give the dude 3-4 years to see what he can do. Having said that, any attempt to modernize this franchise is a step in the right direction? Can Reggie get us back to elite status? I certainly don’t know. I hope so.

I post about Al when I sense–from priesttj primarily (and I guess I got duped by the fake priest today)–that Reggie’s methods are being questioned in the context of Al’s style, and found wanting after only a year and half. It took Davis 13 years to win a championship for crying out loud.

Personally, I find the kind of hubris Davis demonstrated (not hiring a GM, not setting up a succession plan beyond his son) to be unforgivable. So that’s opinion.

• morilla

Chris In NY Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 7:48 pm
    Raiders for Life,

—————-

It’s been two months for me. I ended up moving away from the ecigs and getting a mod. Currently using a Provari.

• RaiderRetribution

One huge advantage Reggie is creating for the Raiders by signing all of these good, above average, legit NFL linebackers; he’s creating a trade market for McClain.

• spiff

maybe the thinking is, building a strong defense will help take pressure off our next young starting quarterback. gives an opportunity to experience the growing pains from the nfl. i really don’t see cp coming back. the only thing i don’t like during this free agent period is not signing a top tier corner. not sold on the kid from alabama. not many interceptions thru carreer. hard to gauge. our achilles for the past 4-5 years is stopping the run, having a pass rush. 2 games against manning last year no sacks. if we could bring a dominant front seven we can play with a decent secondary. that’s how the whinners did it .

• DJ Johnny

ET, You said ‘ Beat writers aren’t necessarily fans of their teams.’

Cork comes to mind.

Yeah, maybe he didn’t mean it as condescending as it sounded when I read it.

• r00der

Ohio, 186, thanks and can’t say that I disagree with anything you said. I don’t EXALT Al Davis, met him a few times, had exchanges. Had an Ironic wit, I found. Here’s what I do hold the man in awe of. I am what I consider to be an individual. Not a joiner, following my own path. What WE saw in Oakland in the 70′s MADE ME A FAN. A JOINER. A’s, 3 WS in a row. Warriors, changed baskedball with their championship. And…Davis, Madden and Stabler. What a mix.
    Sorry, drifted back. The thing about Al, besides all the things mentioned, was he was an individual. A true one. To me, he was a rare thing, someone that had broken the bounds, rearranged the furniture, made a bunch of business folks billionaires, grew this fan family ( you and I, still here)…all his own way. To me, he was hope for all the individuals out there, just trying to get down the road. Thanks for the graciousness.

• angry little man

Our whole “offense” was a nuclear waste land last year, the year before it was a explosive dominating unit. Now everyone’s questioning every position, WR, O line, QB, RB. ( well I can understand the running back situation).

I remember a time when D Moore was mentioned on ESPN as being an up and coming star, now the talk has turned into him being out of position, bad hands, poor route running. I bet you a diddle damned joe to a damned if I know, Knapp had a huge hand in not just Moores de evolution but the whole offense.

Like I said, D line huge tackle or D end if we cant trade down. After that running back people. !!

• angry little man

p.s. I hope the new offensive C, is better then Knapp, remember we beat the Jags last year.

: : : shudder : :: : : ::

• Scourge

test :shudder:

• Scourge

thought that might be a smiley/emoticon

• beach

Priest knows football. Look back at the tapes. Jamarcus = Black Moses. Come on, man. You talk like the Al Davis who lost his marbles the last year’s of his life. :)

• beach

Reggie will be a better GM than Al Davis was the past 25 years. I’m betting on it!!!

• RaiderRich510

Stepfan Taylor from Stanford would be a good pickup in the latter rounds…

• Pingback: [NFL News] Raiders Sign Former Dolphins LB Kevin Burnett - GridironFans.com

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist