Lechler terms _ 3 yrs, 5.5 mil, 1 mil bonus

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, March 22nd, 2013 at 7:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Shane Lechler’s contract with the Houston Texans as for three years, $5.5 million, with a $1 million signing bonus.

Considerably more than the Reggie McKenzie Raiders were willing to pay for a punter.

Lechler hasn’t surfaced of late in terms of returning phone calls, but it’s worth noting before he left he felt pretty good about the direction the franchise was headed in the post-Al Davis era. And Lechler hasn’t ever been shy about voicing his opinion when he wasn’t happy.

Lechler will rank as one of the truly great Al Davis draft picks, a guy who affected field position since his selection in 2000 at the cost of a fifth-round draft pick.

• PlunkforHOF

4 CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson
    6 DE Aldrick Forham
    6 S/CB Micah Hyde
    7 DT Gilbert Pena
    7 RB Dennis Johnson

^^^^^^^^^^
    Ugh. I don’t like that mock.

Good luck to Lechler. He was a good Raider.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• oldschoolraider

san! break a leg in texass lechler

• hellsbells

Punter not the highest priority right now. Any one see how shariff pro day went.

• Just Fire Baby

Marquette King will need some competition in camp.

Can’t just hand him the job.

• joemostler

Bye Shane you were a true raider

• jackasspuria

Texans wanted Shane Lechler four years ago. That was before Lechler was made the then highest paid punter by Al Davis.

Competition for King will only make the one who eventually wins the job better.

• mcthompso

Someone with that mock draft actually thinks Ogletree is lasting until the 3rd round?

• Just Fire Baby

Ogletree is another DUI away from lasting until the 5th round.

• mcthompso

Well that doesn’t put him in the 3rd now. I’ve seen him in the first all over the place even with the trouble.

• CDERaider

Reggie has made good moves on D. The more I look at the bio’s, I like what’s he brought in.

And. We have, more or less the same personnel on offense as our #10 offense in the NFL in 2011.

DMAC will have his best year. Reece could take Mike Bush’s role, he’s a legit ball carrier, we saw that last year. Streater as #1 WR and Ford/Moore stay healthy. Criner gets the ball in the redzone. Ausberry a difference maker at TE.

If Tarver gets the D to middle of the pack..

.. We might be decent. Just sayin. If you look at it, it’s not as bad as it could be.

• xdirtyxPNWxRaidersFanx

is Condo going too? Are they a package deal?

• DKnight007

Star, Jordan, Ansah or Fisher at #3 or trade down!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

This also keeps up the streak of our FAs leaving and getting paid a fraction of what Al shelled out: Shane’s getting $5.5 mil for three years. Al was paying him almost that much PER SEASON.

• Just Fire Baby

Shabazz Muhammad just may be the easiest collegiate player to root against.

First he picks an Adidas school, clearly because they funded his AAU life for him and his family, he yells at teammates, gets mad when he doesn’t get the ball, now we find out he lied when he was younger and is really a year older, and is a one and done guy (really a 3/4 and done).

Yeah, not a fan.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I would be happy if Reggie Drafted STAR, SHELDON RICHARDSON or SHARIFF or DION JORDAN

or traded back and drafted Sheldon Richardson , MINGO, or ANSAH who will be gone by 6 tho

• CDERaider

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 7:49 pm

—————

Highest paid punter of all time. By far. Lechler+Seabass+Condo was $10 million a year. Insanity.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

The Greatness of the RAIDERS IS IN ITS FUTURE!!!

MARQUETTE KING

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

• CDERaider

Curious that Tommy Kelly hasn’t been released. Wonder why?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

CDERaider Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    Curious that Tommy Kelly hasn’t been released. Wonder why?

=====================================

Reggie may be saving him for draft-day trade bait?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

TOMMY KELLY could be trade BAIT.. or he could be being talked into a PAY CUT

USE HIM AS backup or third down / passing downs rusher. Or part of a rotation with Floyd, Vance walker and SIMMS

• CDERaider

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 7:53 pm

The Greatness of the RAIDERS IS IN ITS FUTURE!!!

MARQUETTE KING

———————

Agree. Athlete. Has a serious leg if he can learn to control it. Love to see some fake punts this year and get him on the edge. A fake punt for a 1st down can change a game. Historically, a successful fake punt results in a win for the team executing it. One of those 1-2 plays a game that turns it.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Al would be proud of Marquette Kings mesaurements

• RaidingTexas

Let the reign of the King begin!

• CDERaider

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 7:56 pm

TOMMY KELLY could be trade BAIT.. or he could be being talked into a PAY CUT

——————

He could rotate at NT. He’s has almost always had to deal with double teams and made guys like Dez and Shauasty look good. He’s an Al pick and might have some loyalty left – and he’s the best interview on the team by far. Funny as hell. A big, funny mother fkcuer.

• RaidingTexas

CDERaider Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    Curious that Tommy Kelly hasn’t been released. Wonder why?

—————————————–

My guess is Kelly and McClain will be cut after June 1 so the cap hit can be spread over 2013 and 2014.

• jackasspuria

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Indeed!

6-feet, 192-pounds, 4.58 40-yard dash time.

King is built more like cornerback than punter.

• CDERaider

If/when TK is released, he will be signed very quickly by another team. Read: Patriots…

• CDERaider

jackasspuria Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 8:01 pm

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Indeed!

6-feet, 192-pounds, 4.58 40-yard dash time.

King is built more like cornerback than punter.

——————–

Hello fake punt. Even the threat of it changes the game.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

If im Marquette King and i hear shane signs with another team.. Im working tonight.. I’d be super hyped up.

He works out like a animal already though. Go to youtube see his latest punting tapes. I thought he had a decent preseason last year.. but he has been working for a year straight.

im sure Reggie gave him his “TO DO ” list for a year straight

• dr_robert

Reggie looks at his situation and makes a plan. Cut all overpaid underachievers. Bring in underpaid overachievers. Restructure solid and still young players like branch and brisiel. Dump Dhb, huff, and Tollefsen. Torture mcdunce until the last moment. Look to trade kelly.

Next season i will have all my picks and a LOT of cap room.

Ok. We’re doing this. Now. Palmer. Good qb. But getting old. Makes a lot. Pryor? Mmm. Maybe but a long shot.

This geno kid looks legit. I’m drafting #3. I have a chance to get my franchise qb for the decade. Pass him up and hope we get our guy next year? Where will we draft? Am I sure there will be a better guy than geno?

I’m getting my guy. Don’t restructure Palmer. Wait until I know I have geno. Them trade or release Palmer. What about Pryor? Well if I have geno, I don’t need him. But this “read option” thing is hot right now. Can I trade him to a sucker for a 4th or 5th?

That’s the plan.

Geno? Gee-yes!

EXTEND REGGIE NOW!

• SilverLining20

We can definitely get a 4th or 5th for Kelly on draft day.

• CDERaider

DMAC will have the best season of his career in 2013. Give him less touches in the run game and more in the pass game and he’s money. Game changer. Just having him there makes the defense have to adjust cuz they know if they miss he’s gone.

• CDERaider

In today’s league, everybody’s jacked. Including the punter.

• dr_robert

There was a guy named pay mcinally for the bengals in the eighties who was a punter/wide reciever. I kid u not. White guy. Marquette king? Start running routes with Pryor.

• CDERaider

dr_robert Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Next season i will have all my picks and a LOT of cap room.

That’s the plan.

Geno? Gee-yes!

EXTEND REGGIE NOW!

——————————

Like your style holmes. But GeNO and Reggie has a long term contract, ain’t going anywhere. It’s his time to earn it.

He’s got an A so far this season. F last year. So a C average so far. Let’s see what happens now.

• CDERaider

@MarquetteKing This year the entire NFL world will know your name. Trust me!

————————

That’s what I want to see young blood!

• conrad0509

Oglotree won’t be there in 3 Rd.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Marquette King ‏@MarquetteKing 1h

Kicking coach just flew out into Oakland. Let’s do work! @KohlsKicking S/O to Jamie Kohl http://instagram.com/p/XLr7FTQB8X/

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

N before all you guys get on Reggie for letting SHANE 5 Million a year walk

AL davis let ASOMOUGHA walk and never offered him a contract before he signed wiht PHILLY.. he even hinted he might have taken less.. but Its time for the Future Raiders now .. and the Raiders that remain..

Reggie still believes in you. LETS WORK!!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

HALL OF FAMER Darrell Green tweeted to King

Darrell Green ‏@darrellgreen28 9h

@MarquetteKing This year the entire NFL world will know your name. Trust me!
    Retweeted by Marquette King

• Marks hair

That’s what a goos punters supposed to be making al.. not 4mil a yr.

• jackasspuria

Kansas City’s Dustin Colquitt really cashed in on Lechler’s last contract with Oakland.

Colquitt is now the highest paid punter in the league (5-year deal, $18.75 million, $8.9 mil guaranteed).

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 8:25 pm

HALL OF FAMER Darrell Green tweeted to King

Darrell Green ‏@darrellgreen28 9h

@MarquetteKing This year the entire NFL world will know your name. Trust me!
    Retweeted by Marquette King
    ……

My brother’s a big Texans fan and was bragging about getting Lechler.

I just pulled up the youtube vids of King for him and laughed.

King looks like a stud.

• gangosix

thanks to shane lechler for the great years of service to the raiders.if it wasnt for shane,the raiders would have really sucked.a great raider for sure. Im excited about the new punter too but will definitly miss lechler,good luck man.

• RAIDERMAN99

==============================================
    Insanity ? Maybe so.

Tell you the truth though, it’s the kind of ‘crazy’ I can live with.

Would it be crazy if your punter, kicker and long snapper were making 6 million a year combined ?

At what amount does the price for this trio reach the level of ‘insanity’ ?

How much does the average NFL team pay their kicker and punter ?

How much is it worth above that ‘average’ figure to have arguably the best punter and kicker ?

Guess it depends on how much value you place on that aspect of the game.

I don’t laugh at Al for drafting Guy or Jani in the first round. Some people thought that was insane.

Was it ?

I don’t like overpaying and wasting resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

But I can live with allocating an extra 5 million towards my kicking game. Especially if it results in having one of, if not the best, kicking game in the league.

A ‘luxury’ we can’t afford or an undervalued, important team strength that can be relied upon ?

I think it’s the latter. So I’d write the check and sleep well at night knowing that’s one area this team excels at.

No, I don’t think it’s insane.

4 mill a year for Briesel on the other hand….

• Dakota

I am watching soccer….snow soccer. They should make it a snow sport…much easier to watch.