Report: Lechler agrees to terms with Texans

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, March 22nd, 2013 at 6:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Seven-time Pro Bowl punter Shane Lechler has agreed to terms with the Houston Texans, the Houston Chronicle reported Friday.

Lechler, 36, is the NFL’s all-time leader in gross punting average at 45.7, and last season completed a four-year contract that paid him $16 million.

After a season during which Lechler had stats which would be good for any other punter but were sub-par for him, the Raiders seemed resigned to losing the man Al Davis drafted in the fifth round of the 2000 draft.

The likely replacement for Lechler is Marquette King, who injured a foot in a weight-room accident just before the regular season and was kept on the practice squad all season in anticipation of needing a new punter.

• Conveyor Belt of Truth

Hi

• Conveyor Belt of Truth

It really is lonely at the top.

• jackasspuria

If Marquette King can blast the boomers he had in that Youtube vid (will find and post), Raiders punting situation will be OK.

• Conveyor Belt of Truth

An exciting punter leaves. But we do have a future star in the wings.

• conrad0509

Another one bites the dust!!

• Raiderjambo

jackasspuria Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:30 pm

————————————–
    Agree!

• jackasspuria

Now, if Marquette King can kick like the way he did in video on top during live games, Raiders have a replacement on hand.

By the way, are punters usually as ripped as King is in this vid?

• papertiger418

NNNNOOOOO!!!!!!

Just kidding; we all knew he was out the door. With Schaub, they’re going to need all the field position they can get.

At least we didn’t lose Condo!

• Raiderjambo

Good luck Shane, through all the BS that’s gone down whilst you were here, you were still a credit to the S&B.

• papertiger418

Raiders reunion? Isn’t Stanford Routt there as well?

• IGAG

I hope lechler finds a IHOP near him so he can enjoy fine eatery. Keep those big legs booming.

• Raiderjambo

By the way, are punters usually as ripped as King is in this vid?
    —————————-
    You sir, are now looking at our 3rd string QB. Long live the King!

• IGAG

So does that make Seabass the longest tenured Raider now?

• Raiderjambo

IGAG Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:37 pm

So does that make Seabass the longest tenured Raider now?
    ————————————————
    Yessir!

• Pingback: [NFL News] Texans Agree To Terms With Free Agent P Shane Lechler - GridironFans.com

• morilla

Stay out of the weight room King.

• dr_robert

I never liked lechler’s comments about the org. Good riddance. Homey don’t play dat.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Back in the late 60’s 70’s, we had a horse club called the EL-D Riders. My Father was “Prez” Charlie Smith RB, was a member, 6 of us. I was 16. We leased 300 acres from East Bay Mud up on Redwood Rd, for the Horses. Qtr horses and Appy’s.

Charlie would bring up Raider’s to look at the horses, and watch us handle. But you could never get one of them big mfrs on a horse. Lol.

-Medium Mike.

• dr_robert

Kell–I enjoy ur old time raiders stories at least.

• dr_robert

One of my greatest memories is watching a Sunday afternoon game with the mountains in the background and seeing a guy named Jim plunkett getting warmed up and the announcers talking about how he was a reclamation by al davis and they were wondering what the raiders would do now that he was forced to come in. Yes I watched the Dan pastorini game from my Indiana living room at the age of 11.

• CDERaider

1 OT Eric Fisher or DT/DE Sharif Floyd
    3 OLB Alec Ogletree
    4 CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson
    6 DE Aldrick Forham
    6 S/CB Micah Hyde
    7 DT Gilbert Pena
    7 RB Dennis Johnson

• dr_robert

Stabler was my favorite player and I had been upset about the trade. But now pastorini was done and I thought this plunkett guy was weird looking and I was really worried.

• dr_robert

And who was this Kenny king guy taking carries away from my boy mark van eeghen?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Charlie, the “Hero of the Heidi game” son played for the Raider’s too. Kevin Smith FBI. His other son Michael, standout WR at Cal, whom I’ve known since he was about 8, is a Heart/Lung transplant surgeon.

• conrad0509

Ogletree won’t be there in the 3rd round.

• jackasspuria

Contract terms released…

Texans agreed to terms with P Shane Lechler, formerly of the Raiders, to a three-year, $5.5 million contract with a $1 million signing bonus.

• CDERaider

papertiger418 Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Raiders reunion? Isn’t Stanford Routt there as well?

——————-

Vet min 1yr deal? Maybe.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I remember when Charlie got his first contract, he bought a house on 105th Ave, few blocks from us. Clem Daniels had a liquor store on 104th and E14th. He still remembers me.

• CDERaider

jackasspuria Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Contract terms released…

——————–

They got a bargain. He’s was hurt last year. Still the best in the game. Hopefully King learned something..

• WESTRAIDER

Yawnnn

• jackasspuria

CDERaider

Hopefully.

I remember reading a training camp story from Jerry McDonald saying Marquette was so intimidated, he didn’t want to go up and say hi to Lechler.

Shane introduced himself and began to teach King the ropes.

Hopefully he has learned something.

King always had the leg strength, now its about consistency. He was boom or bust in preseason/training camp last year.

• conrad0509

Sharif or Star in the first round.

• Chris in NY

Peace out, Shane. It was nice having at least one guy through all these tough years who Raiders fans could have some pride in as hands down the best as his position.

Good luck in Houston.

• Chris in NY

jackasspuria Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:32 pm

By the way, are punters usually as ripped as King is in this vid?

——————————

Is this real? You would think so, but it reminds me of those fake commercials where Lebron is hitting jumper after jumper from full court and some other athletes in similar scenarios.

He’s hitting some of those punts in that video 70-80 yards in the air!!! Could be the next in the line of Ray Guy and Shane Lechler if he can do that in live game action.

• Aphid

Raiderjambo Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:32 pm

jackasspuria Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:30 pm

————————————–
    Agree!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah!! Until he shanks one from inside the 20. Then its why did Reggie let him walk. Reggie’s bad and it is all Carson Palmer’s Fault.. lol

• CDERaider

jackasspuria Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:59 pm

CDERaider

Hopefully.

Shane introduced himself and began to teach King the ropes.

Hopefully he has learned something.

—————————-

He’ll be fine. Just needs to tone it down a bit and be more consistent we don’t need 60 yard punts, we need no shanks, ever. King’s athleticism helps in the fake punt threat though.

At least we’re not paying $4 million a year for a frikin punter anymore..

I’m more concerned about his holding ability. Seabass has only had one holder his whole career and Lechler is probably the best in the game at that and kickers are very particular about the holder – they need to start working now..

Or maybe Seabass is released?

• jackasspuria

CDERaider

King held the ball for two of Seabass’ kicks in preseason when Lechler was recovering from offseason surgery.

Didn’t see any change/loss in rhythm on Jano’s boots.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dr_robert Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Kell–I enjoy ur old time raiders stories at least.
    ——————–
    You ought to respect my opinion too. Not many have been around the Raiders as long as I have……….I’m nobody’s idiot, especially on the Raiders, trust me. Lol.

• jackasspuria

Chris In NY

From all indications it is a legit video, not doctored.

Read quotes from Morestead — Colts punter and one of the guys participating in the camp — stating he was in awe of the power and hang time on King’s boots.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Shane Lechler is gone, what a shame. I am not fine with my Raiders being a mediocre team. Give us something to hope for, Mr. Reggie.

• PlunkforHOF

Evening Raider fans and others.. I am still in the school of thought that we MUST trade down for more picks. In the advent that there is no possibility of this, I would opt for Star, Warmack and Milliner.. in that order.

• dr_robert

Kell–fair enuff. But there aren’t many Here that know the game as well as I do. I mess around But my analysis is sound.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• jackasspuria

PlunkforHOF

Trading down is the Raiders’ best-case scenario.

With the Eagles’ reported interest in Geno Smith and Buffalo looking for a young signal caller, maybe the Raiders have the trade partner in the Bills.

But, then again, the Bills new head coach was Syracuse’s boss last season and Buffalo may hold off on trading up and just wait until the second round to pick Ryan Nassib, the QB the new Bills’ boss had in college last season.

• CDERaider

Ausberry needs to start this year at TE. Not the best blocker but a difference maker as a receiver. Gordon is underrated and a devastating blocker. Bring in some FA or Rook competition but I think we’re good at the position.

• Chris in NY

We all like Shane, but the writing has been on the wall for awhile and I think it’s time for both parties to move on. King is an intriguing prospect.

CDE Raider, good point about the holder role. Shane and Seabass have worked together forever on that so I could see how it may be tough for Seabass to be as accurate as before now.

I hope you’re joking and/or wrong about cutting Janikowski. But you never know with Alligator arms McKenzie.

• jackasspuria

Chris In NY

We will know if Janikowski’s tenure in Oakland is coming to an end if/when McKenzie adds an undrafted kicker and the Raiders put him on IR to stash him there. That will be eerily similar to the Lechler/King situation.

• alex7

No more bloated contracts. Smart GM moves. 2014 and beyond we have some hope.

• CDERaider

Chris in NY Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 7:19 pm

————————-

Really don’t want to cut him he’s the last classic ‘Al pick’ left and should retire as a Raider but he needs to sign a long term extension or move on this year. We need the cap room big time and if he’s going to walk next year anyway…

• PlunkforHOF

Wow, between Harvard and Florida Gulf Coast I wonder how many peoples brackets are toast?