OT Barron speaks with media after signing with Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, March 26th, 2013 at 5:28 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s what offensive tackle Alex Barron had to say in a conference call with Bay Area media Tuesday, shortly after he signed with the Raiders:

Q: What other teams did you talk to and what made you decide to want to come to the Raiders?
Barron: It wasn’t a whole lot of teams. There were a few teams that I had to work out, that I been talking to. Not to mention, it was just a few teams who had seen me perform and do some things out there that looked pretty good or in shape or whatever. But at the end of the day, the Raiders, I felt like they had the most interest and the most belief and I went along with it. I felt like the Raiders as a whole, I know one or two people on the staff from the past. We had a pretty good relationship and I feel as though I can come in and help the team however it may be. But I feel like I can help them.

Q: You tried out for a few other teams and you spent camp with the Seahawks…what opportunities do you see with the Raiders that you may not have seen with those other teams?
Barron: I just had a sense of what direction that I feel like and what I’ve been told the Raiders are going in football-wise, team-wise, staff-wise, player-wise. I just feel as though I can come in and continue whatever they’ve already started and proceed on to the goals that they’re trying to make as a team.

Q: How is your knee? How is your health? Are you completely back to where you were before?
Barron: Yeah, I’m feeling pretty good. I’m healthy. I’m able to do some things I maybe had a little trouble with before when I was injured. I’m good to go.

Q: Was the knee still a factor last summer when you were in camp with Seattle?
Barron: No, it wasn’t really a factor. Right now it’s back to 100 percent totally and I’m looking forward to working with the Raiders.

Q: Between 2006 and 2009 you were pretty much a full-time starter. What do you think happened between then and now aside from the injury?
Barron: I’m not here to say. I’m just looking forward to this new opportunity out in California to get that going, start working the team and the coaches and we can get a good thing going.

Q: What have you been focusing on the most in your game since the last time you set foot in training camp with an NFL team?
Barron: I’ve just been working on all-around things, not necessarily working on particular things. When I get in there, get more in detail with Coach Sparano and some of the other coaches, he can detect some things that he may see. I’ve heard about him. He’s a pretty good coach and I heard he’s a pretty good teacher, also. And his knowledge of the game is A-1 and I’m just getting eager to get in there and learn everything he can show me or tell me, make my game better and help the team.

Q: How much has not playing these last few years made you miss football?
Barron: A lot. More than I would ever know. Anybody who has been in this situation, they know. The love for the game is unmatched. It’s almost equal to none. When you’re away from it, it takes out of you; it takes away from you. You realize that if you didn’t know before, that actually makes you notice a little more because when it’s gone, it’s gone. You want to do your best to stay on track, be on top of your game, so you can continue.

• PilagingJustForFun

Gruden

• rediaR

HIGHER WEDGIE BROW!

• MarcusAllen

Alex Barron – clearly a man of superior intelligence.

Peter King is astounded: https://mobile.twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/316669631161044992

• PilagingJustForFun

So college performance doesn’t matter??? Can’t argue with idiots

• rediaR

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:33 pm
    So college performance doesn’t matter??? Can’t argue with idiots
    —————-
    College stats need context. Even then it doesn’t mean they will translate to the pro game.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

jackasspuria Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Looked up the highest paid QB’s (base salary) for the upcoming season…

2013:
    No. 1 Peyton Manning $20 million
    No. 2 Carson Palmer $13 million

2014:

No. 1 Peyton Manning $20 million
    No. 2 Eli Manning $15.5 million
    No. 3 Carson Palmer $15 million

Ravens’ QB Joe Flacco who signed a monster deal, his base salary for the upcoming season is $1 million.

Same site, average yearly salary for 2013
    Top Ten, No Palmer

Joe Flacco $20,100,000

Drew Brees $20,000,000

Peyton Manning $19,200,000

Eli Manning $15,271,429

Tom Brady $14,120,000

Philip Rivers $14,035,714

Matt Schaub $13,230,000

Sam Bradford $13,000,000

Ben Roethlisberger $12,750,000

Matthew Stafford $12,250,000

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist
  • MarcusAllen

Skip Bayless interview Denise – torture! Dude you’re spot on! HAHAHAHA!!! Skip Bayless recommends Young as mentor!

‘Er um one thin bro is don’t drop 300k on yo birtday… Word!’

Way to go Skip!

• dr_robert

It’s the entire picture.

College tape
    Skill set
    Combine/pro day

Geno passes all with flying colors.

We do NOT need to see what our 3rd round pass-challenged project can do before we do anything else.

Is it important to see what bergstrom can do before we draft Joekel?

Gimme a break.

Sam Bradford $13,000,000

Ben Roethlisberger $12,750,000

Matthew Stafford $12,250,000

• RaidingTexas

Irjonny Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:29 pm

This is my favorite mock for us right now

———————————————

Mike Glennon third round? Seriously? Dude looks like a little kid. He’d be our version of Colt McCoy.

• 1960AutumnWind

raidertbone Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    Bring in VY and let him compete for a starting role; if he gets it, great; if not, let his butt go. TP6 is either gonna make it this year, or not — this is the year to see if we have a gem or just made another colossal mistake (like so many others). One way or the other, we gotta know — and this is the year to do it. We’re starting fresh with everything else – might as well …
    **************************
    If we cut Palmer I would probably support that as the best option unless Reggie has some sleeper to draft in the 3rd or 4th round like Bray that he thinks is better than most analysts do.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

KoolKell Says:
    Pryor looked good to my eye. 53% 3rd down conversions vs Palmer’s 35%. 3/3 in the RedZone as compared to Palmer’s struggles there all season.
    ======================================================

That 8th possession was basically 2 back to back 3 and outs with a running into the kicker 1st down in the middle. So, thru the first 3 quarters before garbage time, Pryor had seven 3 and outs, one good drive and one pick.
    Pryor was 6 of 14 for 42 yds in the first half.
    1 of 9 for 22 yds in the third quarter.
    That’s 7 of 23 for 66 yds before going into the fourth down 24-7 in the last game of the year between two out of contention teams. In other words, what you would call garbage time if Palmer was in there.
    I repeat, that’s 7 of 23 for 66 yds and 7 points before going into garbage time.

• RaidingTexas

————————————————–

But I guess if you’re going with 6′ 8″ and 6′ 7″ OTs, you might want a 6′ 7″ QB back there.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Hey Kooky, wanna post yours again and I’ll post mine again? Dumbass!

• morilla

Kuhlest Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    jackasspuria Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Did you guys see the picture of Jared Veldheer?

Raiders are going to power blocking scheme next year and it appears No. 68 took it to heart…
    ============================================
    WOW! I hope the isn’t juicing, he looks scary big….yeah mane!

—————————-

Holy crap, Jared exploded.

• eastoaklandraider

Barron: I’m not here to say.
    ———–

Well ill say it for you, I sucked ass.

• RaidingTexas

jackasspuria Says:

———————————————-

It’s also a contract year for him. That’s probably his real motive.

• Chris in NY

Anybody see that pic of Veldheer that Cork retweeted today? Dude looks like the Incredible Hulk right now.

I wonder if Reggie will have the sense to extend him early or if he’ll let him walk like he did Bryant.

• radraider

its all good next year multiple draft picks for some team to take clowney. were competitive in 2015 with pleanty of cap space. but maybe no stadium.

• TrueIndianaRaider

LaCanfora is saying were releasing Kelley which is expected an he thinks he’ll draw interest rather quickly?! Couldn’t we get a late rd pick for this cat! Even if it’s next year!! Same for Palmer I’m all for going with TP6 but man let’s get a mid round pick for the guy at least. If he wants to play he’ll restructure for somebody.

• eastoaklandraider

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    ======================================================

Pryor was 6 of 14 for 42 yds in the first half.
    1 of 9 for 22 yds in the third quarter.

——————-

a 17 point lead is not an insurmountable(did i spell that wrong)lead, thus not garbage time stop hating.

• eastoaklandraider

morilla Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    Kuhlest Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    jackasspuria Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Did you guys see the picture of Jared Veldheer?

============================================
    WOW! I hope the isn’t juicing, he looks scary big….yeah mane!

—————————-

Holy crap, Jared exploded.

————-

Got dam!!! that dude is gonna smash some DE’S

• raidertbone

RE 98:
    I agree with you, in part. By cutting Palmer, we’re venturing into the realm of “we don’t know what’s going to happen”. If we release Palmer, at least we escalate the process of “get to where we are going”.

• raidertbone

RE: 109
    Word to Dr. Robert:
    IT’S A FREAKIN’ COMBINE!!!!!

• eastoaklandraider

dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    It’s the entire picture.

College tape
    Skill set
    Combine/pro day

Geno passes all with flying colors.

Is it important to see what bergstrom can do before we draft Joekel?

Gimme a break.

————-

2 totally diff positions, get a clue.

• aig-raiders

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 23m

The Raiders will release veteran DL Tommy Kelly Wednesday. Would expect him to draw some interest pretty quickly
    ——
    Good bye and good riddance to the human offside machine. Never lived up to his contract.

• irjonny

“Jags, Bills, Raiders have discussed Matt Flynn trade. Could go down by the draft” @ jasonlacanfora

my prediction may come true. would be 100% okay with flynn over palmer

• aig-raiders

——-
    didnt our 3rd round project beat a top ranked SEC team in his biggest moment while Geno wilted in his biggest moment? People always under estimate the intangibles.

• RaidingTexas

Aig-Raiders Says:

————————————–

Did anybody expect him to live up to $50 million – largest ever for a DT at the time? If I remember correctly, he got that contract coming off an ACL tear.

• redshirt

Kuhlest Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    jackasspuria Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Did you guys see the picture of Jared Veldheer?

============================================
    WOW! I hope the isn’t juicing, he looks scary big….yeah mane!
    ********

Maybe he’s on his 2nd round of Insanity.

• Blackmamba_20

Matt Flynn?

• RaidO

“Several NFL sources have identified Jacksonville as the most likely destination for Seattle backup quarterback Matt Flynn, and the Jaguars are among the teams to talk to the Seahawks about a deal. Buffalo and Oakland are also in the mix, and though things have progressed slowly, sources said a trade could materialize before the draft.”

• irjonny

yep

• Gdog

eastoaklandraider Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    ======================================================

Pryor was 6 of 14 for 42 yds in the first half.
    1 of 9 for 22 yds in the third quarter.

——————-

>>>

Watch his “highlight reel” on Youtube (which for some reason the Pryor Brigade stopped posting) and notice how it skips so quickly from the second quarter to the late fourth.

Also count how many completions he had with VELOCITY.

I think the number was zero.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    The fact that Barron is being interviewed is a disgrace.

Al Davis is rolling over in his grave.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

==========

Yes it is. But the better news is that we’re thinking of trading for Matt Flynn! Yup, great news. Hey Shreg, ever hear of Matt Cassell? Maybe we shouldn’t give up a pick for a career backup….When do we start the Save our Raiders twitter page like they did when Scott Pioli ran them into the ground.

• stablersbeard

Anyone who thinks Vince Young is an option at QB is an idiot.

Period…

• Gdog

Blackmamba_20 Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Matt Flynn?

>>>

We lose a draft pick to pick up someone worse than CP and at what price?

Not even Reggie is this crazy… some mediot is on drugs…

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

eastoaklandraider Says:
    =====================================================

He didn’t score again till halfway thru the 4th. Last possession started on the San Diego 11 yard line (blocked punt) with 2 minutes left. Getting closer to garbage time?
    I don’t much subscribe to the whole garbage time theory, and I’m not hating. Just responding with that every time Kooky kell tries to slip his little 3rd down conversion, red zone efficiency lunatic appraisal of the game in here.
    Now for hating, one has to consider JFB’s assertion that the last couple of minutes IN THE FIRST HALF are garbage time stats for Palmer.

• irjonny

i would rather give up a 5th for matt flynn to start than use our 3 for geno

• irjonny

Palmer is not going to be a raider. nor will he answer your phone calls. move on.

• irjonny

so the new dolphins logo was leaked…..still stupid

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

You guys need to pay attention when I post a link. Posted it twice this morning, too.
    ————————–
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 12:03 am

Check out this picture of Veldheer. Guy’s a monster.

• Gdog

KoolKell Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Both of us have suffered under the garbage Al gave us the last 11 years. While we disagree at times I know you are a true Raiders fan. But I honestly do not get the faith you have in Pryor right now. Would it not be better to ease him into this and see what he has before thowing him into something ala Andrew Walter.
    ———————————

But, we have OTA’s, Camp, Preseason. I’m happy to watch Pryor beat out Palmer.

>>>

You have PDS (Palmer Derangement Syndrome).

Your eye doesn’t count.

I see Palmer getting 90% of the snaps all year with a healthy dose of Wildcat Pryor.

Nothing more.

Or Reggie is insane (which is actually a possibility, I admit.)

• StarUkulele

Raiders Mock Draft

Round:

1. (3rd overall) DT Star Lotulelei

3. (66th overall) FS Eric Reid

4. (100th overall) CB Tyrann Mathieu

6. (172nd overall) RB Marcus Lattimore

6. (205th overall) WR Aaron Mellette

7. (209th overall) TE Ryan Otten

7. (219th overall) OG Jeff Baca

SMH…We really do need more draft picks!!!!!