OT Barron speaks with media after signing with Raiders

Here’s what offensive tackle Alex Barron had to say in a conference call with Bay Area media Tuesday, shortly after he signed with the Raiders:

Q: What other teams did you talk to and what made you decide to want to come to the Raiders?
Barron: It wasn’t a whole lot of teams. There were a few teams that I had to work out, that I been talking to. Not to mention, it was just a few teams who had seen me perform and do some things out there that looked pretty good or in shape or whatever. But at the end of the day, the Raiders, I felt like they had the most interest and the most belief and I went along with it. I felt like the Raiders as a whole, I know one or two people on the staff from the past. We had a pretty good relationship and I feel as though I can come in and help the team however it may be. But I feel like I can help them.

Q: You tried out for a few other teams and you spent camp with the Seahawks…what opportunities do you see with the Raiders that you may not have seen with those other teams?
Barron: I just had a sense of what direction that I feel like and what I’ve been told the Raiders are going in football-wise, team-wise, staff-wise, player-wise. I just feel as though I can come in and continue whatever they’ve already started and proceed on to the goals that they’re trying to make as a team.

Q: How is your knee? How is your health? Are you completely back to where you were before?
Barron: Yeah, I’m feeling pretty good. I’m healthy. I’m able to do some things I maybe had a little trouble with before when I was injured. I’m good to go.

Q: Was the knee still a factor last summer when you were in camp with Seattle?
Barron: No, it wasn’t really a factor. Right now it’s back to 100 percent totally and I’m looking forward to working with the Raiders.

Q: Between 2006 and 2009 you were pretty much a full-time starter. What do you think happened between then and now aside from the injury?
Barron: I’m not here to say. I’m just looking forward to this new opportunity out in California to get that going, start working the team and the coaches and we can get a good thing going.

Q: What have you been focusing on the most in your game since the last time you set foot in training camp with an NFL team?
Barron: I’ve just been working on all-around things, not necessarily working on particular things. When I get in there, get more in detail with Coach Sparano and some of the other coaches, he can detect some things that he may see. I’ve heard about him. He’s a pretty good coach and I heard he’s a pretty good teacher, also. And his knowledge of the game is A-1 and I’m just getting eager to get in there and learn everything he can show me or tell me, make my game better and help the team.

Q: How much has not playing these last few years made you miss football?
Barron: A lot. More than I would ever know. Anybody who has been in this situation, they know. The love for the game is unmatched. It’s almost equal to none. When you’re away from it, it takes out of you; it takes away from you. You realize that if you didn’t know before, that actually makes you notice a little more because when it’s gone, it’s gone. You want to do your best to stay on track, be on top of your game, so you can continue.

Steve Corkran

• irjonny

Not advocating just hypothesizing. Geno smith Vince young and Terrelle Pryor might be a never before seen offense in the making ball 3 could contribute. Could you imagine Pryor, smith, young, Reece in the pistol formation with an option? Good god!!

• PilagingJustForFun

Let Veldeer be QB!!

• dr_robert

Really Kell? I’m a cross poster? Who else am I?

• irjonny

Lol @ *ball 3

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Seymour Bush Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Semour Bush

I do not watch BSPN much. Is SAS and SB commentary kind of a parody on sports commentary sort of like Saturday night live or scary movie? After watching it and seeing your post I am begining to wonder.
    ===========================================

It has to be. I have never seen such idiotic commentary before in my life. But again, their job is to get ratings, not fill the video waves with knowledge and insight. The dumbed down fan laps it up like a drunk laps up a spilled forty ouncer in the gutter.
    —————————
    Speaking of dumbed down idiot commentary. You’re the #[ Idiot fan of the last 10 years. Making excuses for every dumbass Al Davis move over the last decade.

Plus attaching yourself to Greg Knapp’s crotch.

• PilagingJustForFun

Irjonny, with McFadden out in the slot!

• dr_robert

This place is getting repetitious.

• irjonny

Dr. Robert

You are a cross-poster because Kell said so. Duh

• dr_robert

I think Kell is a cross poster

• PilagingJustForFun

Our Coaches don’t know how to do it!

• irjonny

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:05 pm
    Irjonny, with McFadden out in the slot!
    ————-

Seriously! We’ve had elite talent for years. It might be time that we utilize it. Here’s hoping

• PilagingJustForFun

It’s a process it’s a process it’s a process it’s a process

• 1960AutumnWind

Kell

How is Bush’s take Moronic? He is basically saying that we really do not have a good backup plan for Palmer. That is totally factual. If we had RGIII siting at 3 or some sleeper in the 3rd round that can start or TP has a shoulder transplant then things change. Right now not so much.

• PilagingJustForFun

If the teacher can’t teach the students can’t learn!

• RaidO

Raiders going to draft defense with that 3 pick.

2013 Raider QB depth Chart

1.TP
    2.VY
    3. Draft Collin Klein in the late rounds.

They all have the same skill set. Raiders could run a “mobile” offense.

Ultimate Collin Klein Highlights

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:00 pm
    GENO!!!!

===================================

You do realize he would have been no better than the fourth QB taken last year, right?

• PilagingJustForFun

Star or Ansah

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:10 pm
    Kell

——————————–
    For using Palmer’s name in the same breath as Favre, Manning, Brady in some sort of red herring comparisons.

• raidertbone

Alex Barron:
    It wasn’t a whole lot of teams that showed an interest in me. Let’s see – the Raiders were one; I think there was another one up in Canada somewhere – I think it was in Manitoba – do they have a team called the Eskimos? Yeah, I believe that was the one. There were a couple of Arena League teams that called, as well (but one of them turned out to be a wrong number – I probably shouldn’t have said that). Anyway, I am healthy and I feel good; I would be happy to put on that Silver and Black uniform — I’d be even happier to cash an NFL paycheck!

• PilagingJustForFun

Geno can play!!!!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    Geno can play!!!!

=================================

Debatable.

• dr_robert

Pryor sucks

• irjonny

If the teacher can’t teach the students can’t learn!

—————–

Oh boy here we go. What has anyone on this staff still under contract done to warrant hate? Like it or not our 2013 players were on the field, not our coaches

• raidertbone

Stephen A. and Skip — word to you both: stick to basketball!

• 1960AutumnWind

Kell

If I remember right back in 07 I was not backing AD when he drafted JR. I think you were though!

If you are talking about me. I wanted them to keep Hue, after Allen I wanted them to keep Saunders as OC for contunuity with a Def minded coach. When they hired Knapp I decided to keep the jury out for a while. After bye week the verdict came in – guilty.

Both of us have suffered under the garbage Al gave us the last 11 years. While we disagree at times I know you are a true Raiders fan. But I honestly do not get the faith you have in Pryor right now. Would it not be better to ease him into this and see what he has before thowing him into something ala Andrew Walter.

• PilagingJustForFun

Star, Geno, Ansah, Fisher, Milner in that order!!

• raidertbone

Install the Wildcat now and just put DMac behind center and have TP6 off to the side. It would be exciting, unpredictable and just might sell a few tickets. It would be a way for us all to salvage some enjoyment out of a season that would otherwise be categorized as “the abyss” .

• redshirt

The price of QB’s is going up. Flacco just broke the bank. And Flacco had pretty pedestrian numbers this year. So Palmer is worth the money. And Brady and Manning are both playing late into their 30’s. Favre played til 40. So we still have conceivably 5-6 years of Palmer. RGIII might have ended his career after one year. And they gave up three number ones, a number two and a third rounder for him. And we have no backup, no backup plan, and if Geno Smith is the 3rd overall pick, that would be catastrophic. So, here we are back to Palmer and his pay scale.
    *********

What is he getting this year, $13 million? And then $15 mil in 2014 and $16 mil in 2015.

He is not worth that much money to a team with SO MANY HOLES. He might be worth that to a team that is on the cusp of the playoffs and just needs a decent, strong armed QB to propel them to the next level. But, not this team.

• dr_robert

71.2%
    4205 yards
    42 Tds
    6 ints

I’d say he can play

• kuhlest

jackasspuria Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Did you guys see the picture of Jared Veldheer?

Raiders are going to power blocking scheme next year and it appears No. 68 took it to heart…
    ============================================
    WOW! I hope the isn’t juicing, he looks scary big….yeah mane!

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Oakglenn is always wrong.

• dr_robert

But Pryor sucks

• raidertbone

The last two letters say it all: GE-NO!

• dr_robert

Hunter is always an annoying dick.

• irjonny

If dmac can’t run in a zbs he sucks. If Palmer needs the wco to succeed see ya later. If our FB. Let me repeat that. FULL BACK. Wait…… FULL BACK!!! Can tear a team apart in ANY scheme then holy poop! Maybe our “star” players should move to Florida and/or Arizona.

• dr_robert

GEE-YES! (c)

• PilagingJustForFun

Don’t remember Luck or RG3 throwing for 600yds in a game. Geno did

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

———————————
    Pryor looked good to my eye. 53% 3rd down conversions vs Palmer’s 35%. 3/3 in the RedZone as compared to Palmer’s struggles there all season.

But, we have OTA’s, Camp, Preseason. I’m happy to watch Pryor beat out Palmer.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

dr. slob isn’t Oakglenn.

Any fool can see that.

Go Raiders!

• PurpleDrank81

Any1 remember when Atlanta drafted Matt Ryan? All the Analysts didnt think he would be a Bust in the NFL and every1 claimed that Jake Long was the Safe Pick and the Dolphins would be fools if they drafted Matt Ryan.

Any1 wanna let me know how that played out for Miami?

• rediaR

College stats are about as useful as Greg Knapp’s playbook.

• raidertbone

Bring in VY and let him compete for a starting role; if he gets it, great; if not, let his butt go. TP6 is either gonna make it this year, or not — this is the year to see if we have a gem or just made another colossal mistake (like so many others). One way or the other, we gotta know — and this is the year to do it. We’re starting fresh with everything else – might as well …

• PurpleDrank81

Post 90 Typo

*All the draft analysts thpught he would be a Bust

• irjonny

RediaR Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    College stats are about as useful as Greg Knapp’s playbook.
    ——————

Post of the day

• Chris in NY

Apparently Barron studied read “The Art of the Say-Nothing Interview,” by Dennis Allen.

• raidertbone

RE Post 93
    That’s okay – we all read Russian proficiently

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

The fact that Barron is being interviewed is a disgrace.

Al Davis is rolling over in his grave.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• Chris in NY

The only way cutting Palmer makes sense is if Pryor or a rookie QB comes in and plays better right off the bat. If not, toss it on the growing pile of Reggie McKenzie errors.

You don’t penny-piinch at the QB position.

• raidertbone

Want to really torture someone? Have that person listen to a Skip Bayless interview of Dennis Allen!

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Barron: It wasn’t a whole lot of teams.

That pretty much sums it up.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.