Raiders sign veteran offensive tackle

The Raiders on Tuesday signed veteran offensive tackle Alex Barron, marking their first foray into bolstering the offensive side of the ball since the 2012 season ended.
Barron, 30, last played in the NFL in 2010, as a member of the Dallas Cowboys. He missed the 2011 season with a knee injury and failed to make it past training camp with the Seattle Seahawks in 2012.
Barron, 6-foot-7 and 320 pounds, has started 75 of the 87 games he appeared in during his seven-year NFL career. He is versatile enough to play on the left or right side of the offensive line.
The Raiders are setting up a conference call with Barron for noon. Once that has taken place, we will add some quotes from Barron on what he expects with the Raiders.

Steve Corkran

• Plunketthead

jackasspuria Says:
    . For all we know, Davis could be the one saying don’t spend big.
    ******************************

I thought about that earlier. Meddlesome Mark may be calling all the frugal shots

• irjonny

Barron has huge upside regardless of his history. I’m all for these competition signings, why the hell not? We have to make roster cuts anyways

• RaidO

RaiderRockstar Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    Right here ON THE MONEY

***

co-signed!!
    —————–

Stephen A. Smith speaks the truth.
    All Raider fans should see this.

• raiderzmaverick

1960AutumnWind Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Priesttj12 Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    I tried many times to tell the know it alls in here that this team was not nearly as void of talent as it was being reported and Shane cosigned my concerns. I’m watching quality talent just walk out without so much as word. And everybody all the Reggieites yelling and cheering his name as if this guy is some genius. I’m thinking are these guys joking or serious?

Reggie allowed 2 very talented Olineman just walk, young kids. Then the HB and corner and WR doghoused RB and DB’s it was some of the stupidest decision making imaginable. Like who is this guy?

But all the Reggie worshippers just act like no prob. reggie will fix it………lol crazy!
    ***************************************

Priest

Agree on DE but this is where I get off the bus. Who are the two Olinemen? Is one of them the the workout warrior we traded to Carolina? If one is Satale and then the move Wiz to center I am with you on that one but I think the other you are talking about is Barksdale and he is not that talented either.

Who are the CBs? DvD and Routt or CJ two of them are barely holding roster spots and the other can not even get on a team. I also have no idea where you get Tawain Jones as some sort of Chris Johnson or something.

I mean RM has made some mistakes but purging this roster of all its great talent is not one of them. Allowing Knapp hire and allowing the changing of the offense come to mind as mistakes, Brisell does not look like a good signing either. Keeping Seymour was not so great either. But I honestly do not get some of your takes at all.
    ======================
    Here’s what I see with Reggie:
    1. Messing with the offense when it was working – bad idea.
    2. Letting go of players, and not resigning during the year at all (like for Bryant etc.)
    3. Shonasty for 1 million – we should’ve kept him
    4. Brisel bad signing
    5. Any DBs he’s signed so far last year or this year
    6. I guess with so few picks the draft would’ve sucked anyways. He did find a descent WR, and a servicable LB.
    7. The 1 year deal for Wheeler (don’t know why he signed him for only 1 year…in fact all the 1 year deals are stupid if he just plans on letting them all walk when they prove to be good).

The good:
    1. Finding Wheeler
    2. Willingness to realize he made a mistake to re-work the offense back to what was working before (hopefully he found a better guy this time…I’m not so sure though).

• redshirt

“Gridiron abomination!”

LMFAO

• irjonny

This is my favorite mock for us right now

• raiderzmaverick

irjonny Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

There is at least one QB in this draft that will make it in the nfl. Even if pundits say its a weak class. Palmer isn’t going anywhere unless we get an offer or the QB we evaluate as that guy falls to us where we want him. If neither of those things happen I expect QB free agents and a Palmer cut after June 1st to spread out the cap hit unless he takes less money to start
    =================================
    NO reason to really cut Carson after 1 June. We don’t want to spread the cap hit. We have cap room now to sign players. Just aren’t doing it. If we’re gonna cut him, can do so right after the draft, but I think is stupid to do so. Saving us money doesn’t make any difference if we’re not going to spend it.

• rediaR

Irjonny Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    There is at least one QB in this draft that will make it in the nfl.
    —————
    Not necessarily. Or at least it depends what you mean by “make it”. A few could be backups for a while, but are any of them going to be high level starters? It happens. 07 was barren. 02 was nothing unless you count a couple years of whatever David Garrard was doing. There doesn’t HAVE to be a QB from this class that makes it.

• MarcusAllen

Unless his contract says otherwise; Carson won’t be cut until after the draft in hopes of getting another team to trade up and grab a QB.

That is assuming Reggie has a plan…

• dr_robert

Stephen a. Smith is a name dropping talk-shouting hyena.

Skip bayless is a self-important gas bag.

Both of them just talk to hear themselves talk and have no real knowledge or insight.

Pure drivel.

“If the team does poorly, cut the qb, even if he had 4k yards and 22 Tds in 14 games. What? Who should be the qb? I dunno. Leave me alone. I’m trying to act like I’m a big deal.”

• redshirt

Stephen A and Bayless are both nutballs, but Vince Young as a mentor?!

That’s not just asinine. That’s ASITEN, ASIELEVEN, ASITWELVE!

• RaidO

Dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    Stephen a. Smith is a name dropping talk-shouting hyena.

Skip bayless is a self-important gas bag.

Pure drivel.

———

Not a fan of these guys but for once they say the TRUTH. It’s time to move on. Cut Palmer!

What To Do With Palmer?

• irjonny

Why wouldn’t you want to spread the cap hit from Palmer cut? 15 mil against if he stays. 9 mil if cut before June 1st. 4.65 if after June first. Unless we need immediate cap room for a signing no reason to do it before then. Plus it’s a possibility a team misses out on a QB and still will give up a pick or two in 2014 for him

• redshirt

Here’s the skinny on Palmer. He had an above average season in 2012 in terms of total yards, was decent with 22 TDs. Threw a decent amount of picks as well, but he was the least of this teams problems. Not a great year, but not a bad year either. HOWEVER, he is getting older and on the decline. Bottom line – HE’S NOT WORTH THE MONEY. He HAS to restructure or he’s gone (via trade or release).

• ESETERIK78

Lets consider this a moment….

Go back to the CLE game in 2011, Campbell goes down. Let’s say Hue doesn’t mortgage the future on Palmer. Let’s say Hue actually thought about the TEAM’S future, and not his own sorry butt and just made do with Boller and Pryor.

Well, we’d still have missed the playoffs TWICE, but we’d still have last years first round pick and this years second round pick, and we wouldn’t be sitting here with a guy most of us don’t want anymore (I never wanted him at all just for the record) who’s got a ridiculous salary for his level of play. And we’re either stuck paying, or cut him and we still get hijacked against the cap.

But, F it. I’ll live with cutting this deadweight and happily roll with Pryor or even Geno if that’s what they decide.
    (I think they’re going defense)

Just get Palmer out of my sight. I don’t care what his numbers were. A lot of it was empty stats anyway. 100 here 150 there after we’re already down by multiple scores and we’re doing nothing but throwing.

Just go, I don’t care where or how, just go.

• irjonny

Not advocating, just hypothesizing. Geno smith, Vince young, Terrell Pryor. Might be the first ever QB group where all could contribute. Can you imagine pryor and smith/young and Reece/dmac in a pistol lineup with an option? Holy crap?

• irjonny

I still say hue Jackson would lobby mike brown to trade a 2nd rounder for dmac.

• 00tt00

Redshirt Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    ======================
    nobody disagrees with you….including palmer…….and i think his choice is to be gone….which is why he is sticking to his guns…..the only people who might disagree is reggie and DA because its their jobs on the line……..nobody on this blog loses a dime if the raider go 0-16……..if your job was on the line would you want to show improvement over last year or regression……right now with this team and pryor QB they will regress…..reggie and DA need at least 6 wins….palmer may not get it for them….but pryor sure the hell wont

• redshirt

*******

I’m sure Mark Davis, with Madden in one year and Reggie/Allen in the other, knows all this. I’m sure, if they go the route of ridding themselves of Palmer that Reggie (and maybe Dennis Allen as well) gets a few more years. If we are assuming Mark has any idea what he is doing (which is leaving the football side of the operations to his GM and head coach) then stability is key and Reggie has a few years to tear this thing down and build it back up.

• 00tt00

the question is…..does mark still think reggie is the right guy after getting to know him for a year……reggie already admitted to making a mistake on offense and the comment by DA was that folks in new positions were given a pass….which is why reggie, DA and tarver survived and not knapp