Raiders sign veteran offensive tackle

The Raiders on Tuesday signed veteran offensive tackle Alex Barron, marking their first foray into bolstering the offensive side of the ball since the 2012 season ended.
Barron, 6-foot-7 and 320 pounds, has started 75 of the 87 games he appeared in during his seven-year NFL career. He is versatile enough to play on the left or right side of the offensive line.
The Raiders are setting up a conference call with Barron for noon. Once that has taken place, we will add some quotes from Barron on what he expects with the Raiders.

Steve Corkran

• raiderinparadise

Look I’m a Palmer supporter, he should start week 1.

I’m also a Pryor supporter, I want to see him on the field at times.

and if Pryor starts, I want it to be earned thru this camp, pre-season, season.

That’s how everyone should feel.

Pryor is next, likely, but he needs to earn it, not be handed it, his lone start due to injury.

• rudegruden

Dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    But u all need to stop and think objectively for a moment. Forget what u WANT to happen and think about what really is happening.

Reggie wants to rebuild the team with HIS GUYS.

He brought in HIS COACH.

He currently has the #3 pick in the draft.

He has not had the chance to draft a difference maker yet.

It’s his very first 1st round pick as a GM.

He currently has an aging vet at qb with a large contract. And a passing-challenged project that he didn’t bring in.

It looks like he can draft the top qb in the draft. A guy a lot of people are buzzing about. A chance to draft HIS GUY and put a stamp on the franchise for the next decade.

Or he can draft a lineman who may or may not change the team.

C’mon guys. It’s obvious what’s gonna happen.

Like it or not.

———
    Lets bet screen names we don’t take Geno.

If we take Geno, I’ll retire my screen name
    If we don’t, then you retire your screen name

No big deal, but it would be fun to call out our obvious move.

• inonewordraider

dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Reggie wants to rebuild the team with HIS GUYS.

He brought in HIS COACH.

He currently has the #3 pick in the draft.

He has not had the chance to draft a difference maker yet.

It’s his very first 1st round pick as a GM.

Or he can draft a lineman who may or may not change the team.

C’mon guys. It’s obvious what’s gonna happen.

Like it or not.
    ____________
    you may be right, if the jags weren’t drafting geno

• Carl Weathers

The_Judge37 Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    This is just Reggie sending a message to Carson Palmer, Restructure or else

@@@@@@@@@

Great post Judge!

• willy91137

next year we will draft a quarterback we might draft one this year but not in the first round

• raiderfankirk

dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Reggie wants to rebuild the team with HIS GUYS.

He brought in HIS COACH.

He currently has the #3 pick in the draft.

He has not had the chance to draft a difference maker yet.

It’s his very first 1st round pick as a GM.

Or he can draft a lineman who may or may not change the team.

C’mon guys. It’s obvious what’s gonna happen.

Like it or not.

———————————–
    You just said it to yourself. Is he gonna bank his future on a QB this year?

• raiderinparadise

fyi… all you pryor supporters SHOULD know how much respect and credit he openly gives to Palmer all the time. He still needs that till the time comes.

• Marks hair

I’d think reg won’t have the balls to put all his eggs in genos basket.. I’m guessing he’s praying for a trade.

• dr_robert

Rude–maybe. I mean I have one guy in the draft and u have everyone else. Odds are against me. Even though I’m right.

• The_Judge37

554. Thanks Apollo, I’m trying to drown my misery in humor and black label

• 90210

Another dumpster signing! Unbelievable what a F’N joke! Once the raiders had a scholarship program under Al now it’s a second chance program for washed up players! Why not sign JaWalrus again! F U PORKFKNKENZIE! Go back to Green Bay! No wonder they wanted you the f out of there and nearly twisted the duthboys arm to get you in here! Fire this piece of Garbage!

• 90210

F U PORKFKNKENZIE !

• dr_robert

U guys don’t think like a gm. Reggie has the opportunity to change the face of the franchise. Put a Reggie stamp on it. Make it HIS TEAM.

• rudegruden

Dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

——–
    We sounded confident, and I’m confident we won’t. Let me know

• rudegruden

Rudegruden Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

——–
    We sounded confident, and I’m confident we won’t. Let me know

—–
    You sounded confident that is

• RaidO

Raiderinparadise Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    Look I’m a Palmer supporter, he should start week 1.

I’m also a Pryor supporter, I want to see him on the field at times.

and if Pryor starts, I want it to be earned thru this camp, pre-season, season.

That’s how everyone should feel.

——————

Palmer has not “earned” anything either and should not automatically start week 1. All that does not matter because Palmer is gone…

• rudegruden

Dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:19 pm

——
    I would agree if this draft wasn’t full of sh*t QB’s

• dr_robert

Al davis loved reclamation projects. Alex Barron is an al davis signing.

• 90210

PORKFKNKENZIE !

Fire this MOFO !

• 90210

Grow some balls Dutch Boy!

• willy91137

Cut Carson Palmer draft Gino Smith ( DIASTER0)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• dr_robert

“This is a weak qb class” keeps getting repeated. I don’t care about that. Geno smith is a really good qb. I’m not talking about the other qb’s in this draft.

Geno is legit.

• The_Judge37

568.dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    Al davis loved reclamation projects. Alex Barron is an al davis signing.
    —-

Yeah but Al’s reclamation projects were usually guys who used to be good.

• raiderfankirk

RaidO Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    Raiderinparadise Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    Look I’m a Palmer supporter, he should start week 1.

I’m also a Pryor supporter, I want to see him on the field at times.

and if Pryor starts, I want it to be earned thru this camp, pre-season, season.

That’s how everyone should feel.

——————

————————————–
    Don’t think so. No trade and he is hear.

• dr_robert

Alex Barron was a first round pick. He’s started a lot of games. He’s huge. And he’s only 30. Sparano wanted him.

• RaidO

90210 Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    =———-

Yeah,
    “Barron, 30, last played in the NFL in 2010, as a member of the Dallas Cowboys. He missed the 2011 season with a knee injury and failed to make it past training camp with the Seattle Seahawks in 2012.”

2010??
    All the options out there and he brings in this guy? Come on now. He can do better than that.

Dumpster diving at it’s best

• inonewordraider

reggie better do well, you think mark davis has an idea of who he’d replace him with?

• raiderfankirk

dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    Al davis loved reclamation projects. Alex Barron is an al davis signing

————————
    Mike Lombardi worked for Al, and will snatch all he can.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

KoolKell Says:

Interesting Blog Poll, 2 out of 3 people want Palmer gone?

Idiots? Morons? Lol.
    =====================================================

The idiot might be the person that can’t understand the words he reads:

Poll: Should the Raiders release Carson Palmer if he won’t restructure his deal?
    Yes. They need to keep rebuilding. (66%)
    No. He’s their best QB option (34%)

See where it says ‘restructure’ Kooky? That doesn’t even mean a pay cut.

• raiderinparadise

The_Judge37 Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    568.dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    Al davis loved reclamation projects. Alex Barron is an al davis signing.
    —-

Yeah but Al’s reclamation projects were usually guys who used to be good.

——–

They weren’t good, maybe average, but all gave them huuuuuuuge pay days. Barron would have gotten a 5 year 38 million 9 guaranteed deal from AL.

• MEX_GHOST

90210 Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    F U PORKFKNKENZIE !
    ————————-
    You don´t like this way??:

F U PORK FÚCKENZIE !

• dr_robert

Barron, Winslow, and VY are all the same. Former top picks. Former starters. Outta the league last year. Still young. And cheap.

• RaidO

Dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    ——————-
    Yup,

6 ft 8 316lb but it does not mean he can play.

• raiderfankirk

dr_robert Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:23 pm

—————————-
    But apperretly not good enough to play for anyone else. That’s an iffy one there.

• Marks hair

There’s maybe 6 guys I’d be happy with at 3.. genos one of them. But I think fatty trades down.

• raiderinparadise

DeAngello Hall still available, but that would be like picking up a roach, its already been burnt before…

• Marks hair

Barrons another injured one yr tryout. .. an ihop special. Fingers crossed. .

• willy91137

Matt Flynn with the sixth round pick of the Green Bay Packers

You’d probably have to give up a second round pick to getting

I forget what Green Bay got for him but it was a HI draft pick

• RaiderRetribution

Barron competing w/Barnes for Fisher or Joeckel backup, either that or it’s gonna be Warmack attack!

LOL @ AW & Rude talking about me.

thanks gents, i’m flattered I’ve had such an impact on your lives

Vince Young being more of a winner than Carson Palmer should tell you something.. because VY is a freaking headcase

no suicidal QB’s please, especially for this fan base that will be suicidal once Palmer is released or traded sometime in the next 6 weeks

• The_Judge37

So, how many more “Just Camp Fodder” signings before we should really start worrying?

• RaidingTexas

RaiderRockstar Says:

———————————

Hmmm. That might solve a lot of problems for us. Remember that Heaven’s Gate cult?

• Priesttj12

Reggie is setting everything in place to get Zeke Ansah it’s coming clearer and clearer he wants a DE and while this kid can be said to not be as ready as maybe Werner or someone else his upside is ridiculous.

I’m not seeing Oline I think Reggie wants the best pass rusher in this draft.

goodbye Fisher & Joeckel..

We have Veldheer, Barnes, Bergstrom & Smith all returning at tackle

enter reclamation project Alex Barron

don’t forget Jason Slowey

• 1960AutumnWind

KoolKell Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 3:59 pm
    Al Davis had 7 winning seasons since 1989, the first year of Free Agency. Later.

*******************
    Kell

It is even worse than that, only 4 winning sesons since the salary cap introduced in 94. The cap is what made AD ineffective. He never handled it well.

• realtruraider

LOL, Peter King now talkin schit about a Reggie signing? I had to tweet at him and call him a hypocrite because he has said numerous times that the Raiders have to give Reggie a chance (I agree) and he doesn’t think Mark will be patient enough. Now Peter is sending out a tweet like that, what a fkin hypocrite

• raiderinparadise

0% chance Reggie takes anyone on offense with the #3 pick.

• Priesttj12

The_Judge37 Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    *******************************
    Camp bodies are important but Reggie has yet to get a player in FA it’s all depth. Some of these guys will fight their way onto the roster no doubt but. You are spot on in terms of camp fodder.
    What’s scary is how many players he let walk………I’ve been saying that since he let Bush go. He created more work than he had to do. You can’t get those types of players back in one offseason. That includes guys like DHB and Myers while they may not be top notch talents they were quality depth. That is your core talent.

• realtruraider

—————————————————-

Interesting, I have seen them refer to themselves as the “Palmer Cult” so………….

• raiderinparadise

This is a dominant front 7 draft.

Reggie will pcik someone on D with the #3