Breaking down Palmer’s situation

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, March 28th, 2013 at 1:11 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders are at a crossroads when it comes to their massive overhaul under general manager Reggie McKenzie and head coach Dennis Allen: stay the course with aging quarterback Carson Palmer or cut ties and go with a younger, cheaper player.
On Thursday, a Yahoo Sports story said the Raiders asked Palmer to take a pay cut from $13 million to $10 million in base salary for 2013 and that Palmer refused to do so.
The story also intimated that Palmer, 33, is forcing the Raiders hand by balking at a pay cut so that he can play for another team in 2013, one presumably with a better chance at winning the Super Bowl, after being released or traded.
Two people familiar with the situation said the Raiders did not ask Palmer to accept a $10 million salary for 2013 and that the speculation about Palmer’s future is being fueled from outside the organization.
Sure, the Raiders aren’t thrilled about paying Palmer a salary commensurate with the likes of Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. At the same time, they realize that their best chances of winning next season lay with Palmer at the helm and not Terrelle Pryor or someone they might select in the NFL draft a month from now.
Palmer might not be as productive as he was in his prime with the Cincinnati Bengals, but he still is capable of playing at a level better than most quarterbacks as evidenced by his passing for 4,018 yards in 15 games last season.
For those writing off Palmer, they are overlooking the fact that releasing or trading him would cost the Raiders $9.34 million in dead money on the 2013 salary cap. Therefore, paying someone like Matt Flynn the $5.25 million he is slated to earn in 2013 is about a financial wash for the Raiders either route.
That doesn’t even take into account the cost of acquiring Flynn from the Seattle Seahawks via trade. A CBSSports.com report earlier this week said the Raiders are one of three teams interested in trading for Flynn.
McKenzie is quite fond of draft picks, and he already is without a second-rounder – part of the cost of the Raiders trading for Palmer midway through the 2011 season – and a fifth-rounder this year.
He certainly isn’t going to trade the No. 3 pick for Flynn, and it’s unlikely that he would be keen on giving up a third-rounder this year, either.
One potential option is, swapping picks in the third round with the Seahawks this year and throwing in a mid- to late-round selection in next year’s draft.
Other options include turning over the reins to Pryor, who has made one start in his two-year NFL career, in hopes of finding the next Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III or Russell Wilson, or using the No. 3 pick on someone such as Geno Smith and starting from scratch.
The one certainty is that the Raiders have time on their side. They boast $7.6 million in cap room as of now, Palmer’s contract isn’t going to change and there isn’t an urgency to make any rash decisions just yet.

• dr_robert

I’m telling u guys. Reggie wants HIS GUY.

If he gets Flynn, it’s to start.

• dr_robert

I like the Barron pickup. No risk. Former 1st rounder. Lots of starting experience. He’s huge. Only 30.

• jackasspuria

ESPN’s Ed Werder reports the Seahawks are in trade discussions involving Matt Flynn and a deal appears “imminent.”
    Werder concedes the trade partner is “unknown,” but the Raiders have been most often linked to Flynn because of ex-Packers personnel man Reggie McKenzie’s familiarity with Aaron Rodgers’ former backup. If Oakland is indeed Flynn’s destination, Carson Palmer’s release would soon follow. Other clubs potentially interested in Flynn may include Jacksonville, Buffalo, the Jets, and Cincinnati.
    Related: Raiders

• jackasspuria

Ed WerderVerified account
    ‏@Edwerderespn
    Source says Seahawks engaged in trade discussions involving backup QB Matt Flynn and a deal appears “imminent.” Trade partner unknown

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

No to Flynn.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• Chris in NY

Charlie,
    I just don’t make generalizations like that. I don’t see how Desmond Bryant’s performance over the next five seasons has anything to do with Gibril Wilson or Larry Brown. I look at each individual guy’s ability, track record and trajectory separate from the team’s overall record or what other guys have done years ago. Many of the players you listed I never liked in the first place, much like McClain.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Charlie spews the Company line.

• bcz24

Dutch, my crystal ball says “The future is hazy, try again later” with regards to our QB situation. All I can tell you for sure is 1. We will have a QB next season and 2. The org isn’t comfortable with ‘The Legend’ being the opening day starter.

• jackasspuria

ESPN reported yesterday a potential Seahawks-Raiders trade for Flynn would be simply Oakland flipping its third-round pick for Seattle’s third-rounder.

• JB

Charlie Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 11:56 am

We are out plane fare and a few hot meals with Barron.

Barron is camp fodder. A ruse to make it seem like we are not going to draft an Olineman with our first pick.
    ************************

Agreed. We should take either Joeckel or Fisher if either are available at #3.

• SnBG

Oh please Silverandblack666, your not the only one that believes that. Several of us have been saying that.

• raiderlization

Think Carrol Really wants Palmer back?

• bcz24

Maybe they trade ‘The Legend’ for Flynn straight up? He would fit their system. I think a few of the local bloggers might burn down the teams headquarters though.

• nycraider

some of you said DVD would be a pro bowl cb when the raiders cut him . LOL..you dont have to buy into Reggie, i have my doubts, but the whinning about who reggie has cut or didnt resign is beyond belief. These guys under performed for different coaches, management and HC. What more proof do you need

• Charlie

Chris

Former Raiders have not distinguished themselves after their Raider careers. Certainly not in the last decade.
    Yes that includes everyone’s favorite Nnamdi.
    Over rated in Oakland and cut in Philly.
    You really think Huff and Bryant are different???

Oakland was the last stop on the merry go round for an easy paycheck doled out by a dying legend in Mr. Davis.
    Sad but true.

We are 49-111 over the last ten years because our players are really bad.

I assure you that guys we are cutting will not be major difference makers elsewhere and in almost every case are making far less money than with Oakland.

This is the price for drafting poorly for the last decade. Horribly bad.

Reggie is managing cost, not cutting cost.
    Of couse I applaud what we are doing.
    What we have done for the last decade is proof positive that overpaying for FA and drafting DB’s and skill guys with our high picks DOES NOT WORK.
    You must build the lines.

We are finally becoming an NFL franchise again.
    Our players are simply being held to a standard used in the rest of the NFL and they obviously can not meet the standard.

The core of our team will be built through the draft and that will take time.
    That is why Reggie and DA have 4 year deals.

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    Purvis, paying attention?
    =======================================================

Even I wouldn’t ‘leak’ something that ludicrous.
    *****************

Shut up u lil btch i saw your weak ass post after I left….psy fk? I got 100 bucks you wont say that to my face….i’ll give u a few months to pump iron and u can meet me in the d lot…let’s see how you run your mouth then

• Charlie

JB

We will, thankfully.

• bcz24

Former 49er (and Raider) Kwame Harris admitted to being gay…

• Gdog

Charlie Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 11:54 am

Chris

Guys like you are the first to act surprised when we get hammered by good teams.

You have had ten years to witness some of the worst football the NFL has to offer and you still can’t identify a bad to average football player.

>>>

Myself, I subscribed to PFF simply so I wouldn’t have to endure people throwing stuff like this around.

The players we are saying will play good for other teams all had decent to really good career PFF ratings. Bryant, Huff, CP, Wheeler, Kelly, and yes even McClain have metrics that indicate not all of them will flame out like you predict.

• Gdog

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    Purvis, paying attention?
    =======================================================

Even I wouldn’t ‘leak’ something that ludicrous.
    *****************

>>>

The playground bully has arrived… I am out.

poof

Charlie Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:19 pm
    Chris

Yes that includes everyone’s favorite Nnamdi.
    Over rated in Oakland and cut in Philly.
    You really think Huff and Bryant are different???

Sad but true.

We are 49-111 over the last ten years because our players are really bad.

This is the price for drafting poorly for the last decade. Horribly bad.

Reggie is managing cost, not cutting cost.
    Of couse I applaud what we are doing.
    You must build the lines.

We are finally becoming an NFL franchise again.

The core of our team will be built through the draft and that will take time.
    That is why Reggie and DA have 4 year deals.
    ******************

Palmer most definitely wont

• dr_robert

If we get Flynn, my guess is floyd, star, or ansah at #3.

Gdog Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    Follow the B@uceman Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    Purvis, paying attention?
    =======================================================

Even I wouldn’t ‘leak’ something that ludicrous.
    *****************

>>>

The playground bully has arrived… I am out.

poof
    ******************

you are a “poof”

• Dr_ robert

I know, I know, leaving soon. Have to get ready to go egg hunting on Easter at my black friends get together at the park were I coach flag football. Just have a few more things to get off my chest. j

Dr_robert Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    If we get Flynn, my guess is floyd, star, or ansah at #3.
    ******************************

The 49ers arent getting them RobertaMR….so dont get so excited

Dr_ Robert Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    *************************

Let it all out….this is first step to recovery RobertaMR…..after this I bet Sac will start treatin ya well

• Marks hair

Palm-wonderful gone yet?

Jackasspuria Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    *************************

If it means no more Palmer then do it

Dr_robert Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    *********************

Barron stinks

• dr_robert

Mouseman the Erkel fan.

My impostor uses a a capital R. And apparently likes to use beech’s material.

But I’m sure ur here to share lots of smart things about how u don’t like rich kids and they all suck.

• Charlie

Gdog

Your PFF ratings don’t mean much when you look at past history. We are cutting “REALLY GOOD PLAYERS” off a 4-12 team????????????????????????????????????????

The list below should be all you need to see.

Yea we are 49-111 over the last ten years because of bad coaching. Riiiiiiight.

Nnamdi washout in Philly
    Louis Murhpy????
    Sapp retires after Oakland total loudmouth waste
    Warren retires after Oakland Total waste
    Walker???????
    Wilson??????
    Brown??????
    Hall??????
    Buchanon?????
    Washington??????

The list goes on and on.

• DutchRaider77

Could Baron play guard? Seems like a very large dude?

• dr_robert

Erk@l. Ur football evaluations stink.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Follow the B@uceman Says:

*****************

=======================================================

Excuse me psy fk. Here’s the timeline so others know you’re being the jerk, not me.

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    March 28th, 2013 at 10:16 pm

anyhow…..I’m outro…goodnite palmer clit lickers

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 28th, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Pusy fvck, go to bed.Hah!

• willy91137

I know I keep trying to tell you about the system some players will not play well in one system and do very well in another one

take Wheeler for instance Wheeler in Indianapolis with just a linebacker he played one year for the Raiders at the minimum BAM $30 million linebacker because of the system

not like the simpleminded office coordinator that we had last year that took players and try to make them play like he wanted instead of like they wanted to or could

you take the talent that you have and you put it into position to perform

film study and common sense is all you need.

• dr_robert

Barron is a tackle. Not a bad flyer. Similar to Barnes really.

• DutchRaider77

@Charlie

Thomas Howard did very well for the Bengels and netted us a nice comp pick.

Randy Moss…well he was an @$$.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Marks hair Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Palm-wonderful gone yet?
    ===================================

You mean gone out onto the field to loosen up? Yeah, he’s out on the practice field throwing the rock wearing his Raider gear. Get used to it.

• dr_robert

Mouseman likes to hear himself roar.

• DutchRaider77

1436.dr_robert Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    Barron is a tackle. Not a bad flyer. Similar to Barnes really.

_______________________________

True, but remember the Robert Gallery switch? Dude doesn’t seem to make it as a tackle. Guard is a easier position(?) in the nfl.

• hwnrdr

B…If its for a swap of 3rds, then i don’t see no harm, but…we’ll see!

• willy91137

I thought you were gone but yet you’re still here

DR R

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    Follow the B@uceman Says:

*****************

=======================================================

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    March 28th, 2013 at 10:16 pm

anyhow…..I’m outro…goodnite palmer clit lickers

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    March 28th, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Pusy fvck, go to bed.Hah!
    ***************************

As I said…got 100 bucks you wont say it to my face….offer still stands

• Dr_ robert

Mouseman why dont you jump off the bay. It would be a great favor to this blog.

• Raider E

No way you give anything more than a 5th for Flynn, and we don’t have one, so it’s a 6th or forget it.

• rediaR

FLYIN’ FLYNN!

• rediaR

INB4 all of the reports that the Raiders are the team close to trading for Flynn are wrong and it’s actually the Bills.

• Dr_ robert

willy91137 Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    I thought you were gone but yet you’re still here

DR R
    *****
    It’s hard to leave the blog when you have morons spewing Palmer hate.

• Marks hair

1438. I wish cp was putting in the offseason time.. but your thinking of tp.

Dr_robert Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    Mouseman the Erkel fan.

My impostor uses a a capital R. And apparently likes to use beech’s material.

****************************

Naw just typical “black” kid stuff