3,703

Updated story on Raiders trading for Flynn, trading Palmer

The Raiders are closing in on a trade for veteran quarterback Matt Flynn, according to a CBSSports.com report Friday.
In turn, the Raiders will trade incumbent starting quarterback Carson Palmer to the Arizona Cardinals, a subsequent report by the same website said.
Flynn, who turns 28 in late June, has started only two games in his five NFL seasons, both during his four years with the Green Bay Packers, when current Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie was with the Packers.
The Seattle Seahawks signed Flynn last offseason in hopes of him becoming their starting quarterback. That went by the wayside with the rapid ascension of Russell Wilson from a third-round draft pick to clear-cut No. 1 last offseason.
The report said the trade likely will be consummated “in short order,” though the Raiders say they won’t comment on the report.
Trading for Flynn almost certainly would end Palmer’s Raiders tenure, be it through release or trade.
Trading Palmer won’t be easy, given his prohibitive contract. It would become easier if Palmer agrees to restructure his contract in advance.
Flynn is scheduled to earn $5.25 million in base salary for 2013. Trading or releasing Palmer would compel the Raiders to absorb a $9.34 million hit against the salary cap, though they could push back all but $2.35 million of that figure into 2014 if they designate Palmer a post-June 1 cut.
Flynn, 6-foot-2 and 225 pounds, burst onto the scene when he passed for 480 yards and six touchdowns in the Packers regular-season finale against the Detroit Lions on Jan. 1, 2012. He passed for 251 yards and three touchdowns in his only other start, in 2010 against the New England Patriots.
Last season, Flynn appeared in three games for the Seahawks. He completed 5 of 9 passes for 68 yards and no touchdowns in those games.
The Packers selected Flynn in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL draft, five rounds after they selected quarterback Brian Brohm. That same draft produced Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco.
Flynn has two years remaining on the three-year, $19.5 million contract — $10 million of it was guaranteed — he signed last offseason.

Steve Corkran

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

FIRE REGGIE NOW!

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:19 am
    2013 theme for our defense:

Release The Kraken !!

=====================================================

“For Gawd’s sake don’t hit ‘em with your helmet”……would be better.

• inonewordraider

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:19 am
    Just not Reggie’s style to give away draft picks like that….I hope he is getting more from AZ is all I can say it will show what kind of businessman he is.
    _____________
    come on, if he get’s anything from az will you guys admit he did a good job? i mean how many “experts” were saying no way we’d get anything for him?

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

I will no longer support this new regime nor will I buy any more jerseys!

FAN LOST!!

• guest123

The Flynn-Palmer trades are the best personnel moves we have made, since Al drafted Houston and Veldheer in 2010.

^^^^^^^^^
    Maybe. I think it’s a little early to declare that. Could be a mixed bag.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:21 am
    which one of his whole two starts? The one with a different team? not the one he was on last year…is it?

=====================================

No, not last year because he was barely (according to Seahawks press) beat out by a guy who ended up winning OROY and was a Pro Bowl Alternate.

They’re now saying it’s a late-round 2014 pick and a conditional 2015 pick. So even if he washes out, what have we lost? Very little. But he hits? We’ve got a starting QB locked up for YEARS.

• Silvertongue

welcome to oakland until ur not welcomed anymore. suppose they could always cut him and draft a QB next draft

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

I am jumping on your bandwagon right now!

FIRE REGGIE!!!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:24 am
    I will no longer support this new regime nor will I buy any more jerseys!

FAN LOST!!

=======================================

Whatever. Bye.

I expect McFadden to be traded next.

Fire sale!!

***

wouldn’t hurt my feelings. DMAC is in a contract year and he’s proven unreliable (injury prone)

• Just Fire Baby

666,

We will win more than 4 games this season, so go take a walk and cool off.

We are getting better by the minute.

• guest123

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:24 am
    I will no longer support this new regime nor will I buy any more jerseys!

FAN LOST!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Go be a whiner fan. There are plenty of seats on their bandwagon

FAN LOST!!

***

@silver

are you going to change your name to redandwhite666 ??

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Guest123 Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:27 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:24 am
    I will no longer support this new regime nor will I buy any more jerseys!

FAN LOST!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Go be a whiner fan. There are plenty of seats on their bandwagon

=======================================

Don’t worry. I still expect 666 to post here constantly about a team he claims to no longer like but can’t stop talking about.

• Just Fire Baby

Seattle has been hitting it out of the park with their front office moves the last few years.

They targeted Flynn in FA and gave him not a huge deal, but starter money.

They saw that Flynn had NFL starter upside, they just (again) hit it out of the park with Russell Wilson.

If you don’t trust Reggie, trust Seattle. They know that Flynn can play.

• DJ Johnny

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:20 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:

This should be an interesting day in here today!

EVERYONE thinks Palmer is gone I say by days end he is still here!
    ======================================================

Not everyone! But whatever happens, we’ll have to endure at least a week of “I told you so, I told you so, I knew it all along”.
    Unless we’re right. We’re bigger than that. Hah!

Not all the “I told you so’ers” are gonna be happy…especially when it means Flynn is most likely to be our starter.

This actually puts Pryor further away from starting.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Reggie needs to get the Palmer deal done and go get some CBs!!!

• RaidingTexas

Silverandblack666 Says:

I will no longer support this new regime nor will I buy any more jerseys!

——————————————

• 1960AutumnWind

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:23 am
    RM has driven 2 stakes into the heart of this offense!

Zone blocking last year Now trading one of our best players.

This is a total fire sale I expect McFadden to be traded next.

Fire sale!!

I WILL NOT RENEW NEXT YEAR YOU LOST THIS FAN!
    **************************************
    Mark it down McFadden will be extended between now and camp. They are building the whole offense around him from every indication. Palmer did not want to change his contract apparently. If that is true, what is RM supposed to do pay him 28 million over next two years?
    Do agree Palmer was probably our 2nd best offenseive player behind McFad when healthy and when the OC is not a butthead but Flynn is a decent cheaper and younger alternative that is more mobile.

• REALLIONAIREB

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:24 am
    I will no longer support this new regime nor will I buy any more jerseys!

FAN LOST!!

—————

I think u owe me 100 bucks

• inonewordraider

reggie got lemons so he’s making lemonades (insert fat joke here).
    i mean how the hell is he supposed to sell free agents (ie terence newman) at our broke down stadium with a gutted roster, the way we’ve played and without grossly overpaying?

give him this year and next years draft before judging, what other hope do we got?

I mean a black gm, former raider lb, still damn near impossible to get the insider info on deals going down, what’s more Raider than that?

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

I bought 4 PSL’s in section 141 in 1995.

I will never forget the excitement and how visceral the fan base was. The return of the Raiders was one of the greatest moments in my life and I will never forget it.

Jeff Hostettler was the shlt!

I will probably not step foot in that stadium again until RM is gone. I am seriously that upset at the fire sale!

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

NFL.COM HAS IT BREAKING NEWS.

• Just Fire Baby

IMO, this is the worst possible news for Pryor.

They aren’t going to give up draft picks and pay Flynn close to $6 million to sit on the bench and backup.

• DJ Johnny

I wish Palmer best of luck but it looks like time to incorporate a new flavor to the Raiders kool-aid…”Flynn Berry”.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Silverandblack666 Says:

“no one has a worse team than the raiders…..not even jax”

I am pretty sure no one gave up more sacks last year than Arizona so there is in fact one worse place for a QB to play than Oakland.
    =====================================================

They also have a solid defense and better receivers, so they can concentrate on their O line.

• Raider E

I knew this trade would be nothing more than a 6th rounder. Reggie has done his due dilligence.

Pryor has a shot to beat Flynn moreso than Palmer just because of the contract.

Nice Job Reggie.

First time I am on board with one of his moves, but he played this one like Eddie Fisher.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb
  • RaiderFredinDallas

Best Personnel Move -Extend Reggie Now

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

“I think u owe me 100 bucks”

Yes I do!

• HGDaddy

RaidingTexas Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:29 am

Silverandblack666 Says:

I will no longer support this new regime nor will I buy any more jerseys!

——————————————

——————————–

lol

• Al_is_theraiders

lol…the guy that couldnt beat out a rook,….eorse a guy that couldnt beat out jamarcus….lol

• DJ Johnny

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:30 am
    IMO, this is the worst possible news for Pryor.

I’m sayin. The kid has worked so hard. It’s kind of a shame.

I guess he could beat Flynn out…just like he got beat out in Seattle.

• RaiderFredinDallas

IN REGGIE WE TRUST

• RaiderFredinDallas

RENEWING MY SEASON TICKETS NOW!

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Anyone saying this is a Palmer/Pryor issue just isn’t paying attention.

If Palmer wanted to be here and was willing to restructure then he would be the starter.

If Pryor had a legitimate shot at starting the Raiders move Palmer and pick up a #2 in the later rounds.

Reggie traded for Flynn because Palmer wanted out and starting Pryor next season scared the poop out of Reggie.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:30 am
    IMO, this is the worst possible news for Pryor.

==========================================

Disagree. It’s one low-round draft pick if Flynn doesn’t start. It’ll be an open competition and Pryor will get his shot.

• 1960AutumnWind

As for Jerseys

I might by a Flynn Jersey or a Veldeer jersey with green letters! LOL.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

“Does that mean you’ll also leave this blog? It would be nice if we could get some housecleaning done around here too.”

It means I will be here more…you can still come by and clean my house be my little mexican maid, that wont change little buddy.

• DJ Johnny

A friend just texted me “This sounds very Al Davis’ish”.

• ron69

And with the first overall pick the Raiders select…….Who cares, this mess is going to last 3 to 5 years. Now all you happy fans need is a little patience.

• DJ Johnny

Mortensen just said Palmer talks with zona “breaking down”.

• Just Fire Baby

*****************************

What about the salary?

Mark and his investor/owner buddies, aren’t writing a check for $6 million dollars and not seeing him play.

Flynn will take the first snap of training camp, and will start the first 2 preseason games.

And we will see from there……

• RaidingTexas

Silverandblack666 Says:

Jeff Hostettler was the shlt!

———————————————

Now we know for certain you’re crazy.

• Just Fire Baby

Mortensen just said Palmer talks with zona “breaking down”.

****************************

Just cut this idiot.

He has already been replaced and upgraded.

• Al_is_theraiders

couldnt beat out russell….just repeat that over and over….

• willy91137

Flynn is a backup quarterback and that’s all he’ll ever be

we trade our starter will probably draft one next year

• DJ Johnny

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:36 am
    Mortensen just said Palmer talks with zona “breaking down”.

****************************

Just cut this idiot.

He has already been replaced and upgraded.

He shoulda taken the 10 mill when he had the chance.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:33 am
    RENEWING MY SEASON TICKETS NOW!

So you are going to fly from Dallas to Oakland every other Sunday?

Lets see if those tarps come off now that the Mighty Matt Flynn is QB

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Nothing yet on Raiders.com.