Q&A with Raiders CB Tracy Porter

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 at 12:21 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcription of a conference call Wednesday with newly-signed cornerback Tracy Porter and Bay Area reporters who cover the Raiders:

Q: How appealing to play for Dennis Allen again?

Porter: It played a pretty significant part, because he was my defensive backs coach my first three years in New Orleans. I’m very familiar with what he likes to do. I mean, he’s familiar with me and it was just a natural comfort zone there.

Q: How is your health, a lost season last year . . . are you 100 percent?

Porter: Oh yeah. I’m more than 100 percent ready. I was actually late on the phone call, I’m in the middle of the phone call right now and I just remembered I had to talk to you guys. I’ve been out for the past two or three months, perfectly fine, doing defensive back drills, haven’t had any setbacks. I look at last season as a learning experience as well as just a setback. Any setback, there’s always an opportunity for a comeback. It was a setback last year, now I’ll have a major comeback.

Q: When you say no setbacks, are you referring to the seizures?

Porter: I mean, the seizure, that was just a one-time deal. They never really found the cause. It may be the altitude. Maybe I wasn’t adjusted to the climate. I don’t know the reason that it happened, but it happened. It’s in the past. I’ve been cleared of everything and I’m ready to go. I’m 100 percent.

Q: Talked about Dennis’ style, what do you envision this defense looking like?

Porter: I look at it as a little bit of the things that allowed those guys to be successful last year. I mean, corner play is huge, not only for Dennis but for any team to be successful in the NFL. If you don’t have successful guys on an island that can help you get off the field on third down, then it’s going to be hard for your guys to rush the passer and affect the quarterback. I just look for him to put pressure on the corners to lock those guys down out there on the edges, and he’s always done a good job in developing his corners. I came out, yeah, I had talent, I could do certain things, but he taught me things along the way, technique wise. He taught me things mentally to prepare to go out there on the field and give my all each and every play and that made me a better corner on the field. It provided me with a lot of success. Having that history with him, I was hoping we could just pick back up where we left off up in New Orleans.

Q: Visits to other teams? Other opportunities?

Porter: A visit to New Orleans, I took a visit there, but it was just mainly between New Orleans and Oakland. A few teams inquired about me, they didn’t make a move, I don’t know if they were scared that I had a real problem with seizures or not, but that clearly wasn’t the case. I’ve been cleared of that whole element. That’s in the past now, I’m even concerned with having another. I’ve been cleared. I’ve been taking extra care of my body. If feel great. I feel wonderful and I’m just ready to embrace this opportunity to get my career back on track because of the setback I had last year and show people I am a corner who can play at this level and play at an elite level.

Q: With all you’ve done, Super Bowl championship, etc., still only 26, feel a lot of football in you?

Porter: Absolutely. For one, I haven’t really taken a lot of banging on my body through the years. I started playing football my 11th grade year in high school. Most guys, they start to play football when they’re 4 and 5, so they’ve been getting knocked around a lot more than I have. I still have a slight edge on guys from that aspect as well, I mean, I didn’t play much last year, so my body had enough time to recover. I haven’t taken a lot of nicks on the body. It’s a plus for me, I wanted to be out there on the field but at the end of the day, playing in this league, you’re going to get banged up, but that allowed my body to heal for any nagging little nicks that I’ve had, any little injuries that I sustained. I feel brand new. I’m as healthy as I’ve ever been. I’m just looking forward and I’m excited about the opportunity before me.

Q: How tough to not only have seizure, but not get back on field?

Porter: It was tough. Being the competitor that I am, I wanted to get back on the field once I was cleared and healthy, but this is a business and those guys, they played great, they played tremendous in my absence, they just felt comfortable with those guys on the field and I mean, that’s the nature of the business. You get hurt, guys step up and I mean, you have to watch those guys play. No player wants to sit back and watch another guy play, but at the end of the day it’s a part of the business. I accepted it for what it was, and that’s just what happened.

Q: When you look at Raiders, get sense they’re rebuilding?

Porter: I mean, they have a lot of talent, a lot of speed on the roster. We played those guys, when we were in Denver I played them, and I mean, like I said, they have talent on offense, they have talent on defense, we just have to put all that talent on the field collectively and not back down from any challenge. I don’t know how the locker room is right now because I haven’t had the opportunity to be around the guys yet. My whole mind frame is, I don’t look at anybody as unbeatable. I don’t care who I’m playing with, who I’m playing or what history the team has. They can win 100 games in a row, if they come up and play us, I’m expecting to beat that team. I’m just hoping that the guys in the locker room take that same mentality out there.

Q: See self as a leader? Come in take on that role?

Porter: I welcome any challenge. If I’m asked to be one of the leaders on the team, I’ll definitely do that. I’m more of a guy that leads by example rather than going in and being the rah-rah guy and say this is wwhat we need to do, this is what we don’t need to do and I don’t do it. I’d rather just show guys on the field, off the field, the way it’s supposed to be done, and it will be up to them if they follow that lead, which I’m hoping they would do.

Q: Seems like strategy is to get guys who are looking for either a second chance or a first chance, serious about football, love it, are short on drama . . .does that sum you up?

Porter: Pretty much. I mean, I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m a guy that stays out of trouble, doesn’t put himself into difficult situations. I’m a guy who loves the game of football, who wants nothing more than to succeed and wants my team to succeed. And another thing the coaches, and Reggie, they’re doing a good job of bringing guys in and keeping guys that have that same mindset. Nobody wants to bring guys in that are troublemakers that are going to be a cancer to the team and break up the team. You don’t want that, because, that destroys the comraderie, it breaks up the locker room, you have have a bunch of guys that are playing for themselves, no one’s on the same page. So we want guys that want to win, that love the game of football, that just want to take this Raiders team to a new level.

Q: Are you a big film guy, or someone who relies on athletic ability and lets that take over?

Porter: I would say, in the beginning I kind of relied on my athleticism early in my career, but as I began to learn the NFL game, because it’s quite different from high school and college. I mean, you have to do more than just rely on your talent, because everyone at this level is talented. There’s such a small percentage of people that make it to this level. I’ve grown to learn and study more film because it allows you to play faster, it allows you to know what the opposing team’s doing. It allows you to know what the opposing team likes to do, what they don’t like to do. If you’re out there and have an idea of what they like to do, it allows you to play faster. The guy that’s running a 4.7 looks like he’s running a 4.4. The guy who’s running the 4.2 looks like he’s running a 4.1. That’s just because they’re a student of the game, they know what’s coming and they know what to anticipate.

Q: Does playing for Allen bring out best of you?

Porter: Having an opportunity rejuvenate my career is one thing, and like I said, Dennis, he did a great job in bringing the best out of me. I’ve grown to love the guy, he was my coach. He was the one who had a hand in getting me drafted. I mean, he wanted me in that room in New Orleans and he wants me in the room in Oakland. I mean, he and I have along history together and it almost seems like he and I, it almost seems like I’m following him because he went from New Orleans to Denver, I went from New Orleans to Denver. He went from Denver to Oakland, now I’m going from Denver to Oakland. It almost seems like he and I are simultaneously sticking together.

• Raiderbuck

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m

Raiders waiving LB Rolando McClain today.

• The_Judge37

As it is he is a dam good QB staring twilight in the face. May he live long and prosper
    ——-

At least for 13 games.

• hwnrdr

Well, I guess Rolando is getting waived today!

Plunkett….flynn or pryor is the qb…fk palmer

• Twocents

It sounds like McClain had his agent write up some statements for him.

• itzSteve

Could there be a signing today and Reggie needed some cap space???

• dr_robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

is it not in the books as 76 yard td?

*********

talk about a guy using stats to lie.

• Gdog

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    Resposting because of Moderation one link at a time:

Regarding Pryor instead of taking Mistic’s or Bushes or Dr. Robs or any one elses word for it here is a recording of every throw he made against Chargers.

What I see is at times some very nice throws. His ability to stretch plays is exciting. On the down side he is inncoistent and throws inaccurate passes as times. Almost got Streater killed! Like I have been saying if he can fix mechanics and get his consistancy you are looking at next Steve McNair. Big if though.
    *******************************

His mechanics need some work…but some of those throws he tried to only put touch on them….he needs to learn to fire that bad boy

>>>>

The reason he doesn’t “fire” that bad boy is because he doesn’t trust his accuracy while throwing with velocity! Thats why he tries to float the ball all the time. The reason for this is because of a lifetime of poor mechanics he is trying to undo.

Like I keep saying… you never fix a bad golf swing or a bad football pass.

Why? YOU ALWAYS REVERT TO BAD HABITS AT THE WORST TIMES!!

Ask Tebow.

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Hmmmm 6 time pro bowler with 3 rings and a SB mvp with alot of playoff wins…..of course he was great! Are you out ya mind? Cowboys still looking for a QB like aikman after all these years

PALMER’S failures had to do with him not being good…nothing else

**********

this is EXACTLY why u don’t get it.

if a qb passes for a lot of yards and td’s and completes a high % of his passes but loses, u think he sucks.

but if a qb passes for a small amount while his team excells dut to a great run game and defense, u think he’s great.

aikman was solid. there are a LOT of people who realize he wasn’t great and gets too much credit for the cowboys being good.

ur a dumb fanboy.
    ********************************

Wow you need all the best things around you to succeed…yeah a rich spoiled btch lol

• SnBG

McClain gone, good riddance. You lame as malcontent.
    Great job Reg finally someone in the org is showing some sense.

• Plunketthead

Maybe Cork can roll over and spend two minutes blogging.

Just messing with you Cork :smile:

• bcz24

You called me a moderator… who’s fvckin squirming. LOL.

• dr_robert

Whoknows Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:13 pm
    Wish you would tell us who you are….if you are a former NFL player please we would love to hear your expertise on things….RobertaMR claims to a HS coach so therefore he is some expert
    *********************
    Unfortunately I can’t claim to be a former NFL player or HS coach
    But after reading this blog for so long I can claim that what ever Nob says you should believe the opposite to be true.

**************

EVERYTHING i say is true.

• DJ Johnny

I notice alot of other teams hovering at or very near the cap.

They need money to sign their draft picks too right?

If McClain gets us to 10 mill under..can Reggie go get us a couple of studs?

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Genital, I’ve been lecturing the blog for the past few months about the upside of drafting my homie Star

Get this massive fool juiced up on Red Bulls before every game and he’ll eat the referees

Guaranteed he’ll rack up 5 or 6 awesome personal fouls before halftime, the Black Hole will be hella rockin’ and JLH doing mad back flips by concession stand

Don’t get it twisted, memorize your history, change the world, shout out to Malcolm X, bow down to the Lawg

HIP HOP N HOLLERIN

• Plunketthead

B@uce
    that’s what im saying,
    he could not cut it, goodbye

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

peace

all of the flip flopping and squirming has made me dizzy

cant wait for this season, now that palmer is gone and pryor will play this is the best off season in years!!!

I have reason to care again

• Thec
  • dr_robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Qbs who start on elite teams for a decade arent experts on playing QB….remember that everyone lmao
    **********

i don’t think anyone would call mcnabb an expert qb evaluator.

he has more knowledge than most, but he’s not used to looking at other qb’s. that wasn’t his job.

i’ll take coach of the year bruce arians’ assessment.

The Beeech Diggity Dawg Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    ***********************

Thats a start Beecher….talk more about football and not your Tranny Diaries collection

• dr_robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    peace

all of the flip flopping and squirming has made me dizzy

I have reason to care again
    *********

nobody cares

• Twocents

McClain is a bona fide retard.
    If McKenzie ever uses our first round pick on losers like Russell or McClain then the haters will have some credibility.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Ya rolando Mcclain wasnt the best linebacker.. but he did show some flashes of good plays for the Raiders even some last year.

His execuse could be never a 3-4 defense.. never had true DLINE to take on blockers

To many DC changes..and Team changes

• bcz24

all of the flip flopping and squirming has made me dizzy
    ********
    I bet it is the overload of conspiracies in your noggin, like the one about me being a mod. LOL

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    **********

i don’t think anyone would call mcnabb an expert qb evaluator.

i’ll take coach of the year bruce arians’ assessment.
    ***********************************
    HAHA yeah he played game at high level but he doesnt know

Arians will have a new qb come 2014

• DJ Johnny

Adam Schefter said:

“I don’t think it would be a bad idea for the Titans to take a look at him on a league minimum 1-year deal. He would compete with Moises Foku for the back-up middle linebacker spot. Competition is never a bad thing, and his upside makes him worth the risk.’

Foku? Well Foku too buddy.

Plunketthead Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    B@uce
    that’s what im saying,
    he could not cut it, goodbye
    ****************************

The other palmer lovers not for the Raiders at all

• bcz24

If Slo played every game like week 1 against SD, he would still be here, he would be a pro bowler, and have justified his being selected 8th overall. He chose to be lazy and unproductive, and a moron off the field.

• theghostronin79

I’m in a unique situation regarding Pryor….I live in Eugene OR, but spent half my life in Ohio so, Two teams I watch every saturday DUCKS and BUCKEYES…

I was thrilled to know the Ducks were persuing Pryor, but he landed at OSU, ok still cool for me…. I watched every snap he played in college, and it broke my heart when he pummelled the Ducks in the Rose Bowl. I liked him a TON.

Imagine my excitement when the Raiders drafed him. I was pulling for him more than I’d pulled for any other Raider in my life. I WANTED him to be the guy for us.

For the sake of what’s best for this team, I kept all personal agendas to myself, and remained open……

Hell, I don’t even know if Mistic wants Pryor’s success as much as I DO personally. I’ve been a fan of that kid since he was in High School. So there’s THAT….

• dr_robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

*******

it’s called a having a good team. this ur problem. u think the qb wins and loses games.

why ask for star? might as well draft all qb’s. u have no logic whatsoever.

i think u may be retarded. so i’m sorry for making fun of u.

Bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

He is a punk…we hate him for life

• dr_robert

Theghostronin79 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:29 pm

**********

no, ur a liar. u secretly want him to fail cuz ur a racist.

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

*******

why ask for star? might as well draft all qb’s. u have no logic whatsoever.

i think u may be retarded. so i’m sorry for making fun of u.
    **********************************8

Excuses man…more excuses for a loser

• dr_robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    Bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

He is a punk…we hate him for life

*************

just when i thought u were the dumbest man alive……..u go and redeem urself.

• inonewordraider

usama bin laden…… more like usama been hidin!

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:33 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    Bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

He is a punk…we hate him for life

*************

just when i thought u were the dumbest man alive……..u go and redeem urself.
    *****************

Nothing you can do to change my thoughts about you MR

• Whoknows

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

*******

why ask for star? might as well draft all qb’s. u have no logic whatsoever.

i think u may be retarded. so i’m sorry for making fun of u.
    ********************************
    A lot of players or coaches can win or lose games for you.
    It just so happens that the QB has the most opportunity to do so.

• Twocents

All the media idiots say the same thing. “If only Russell and McClain had been drafted by a good team, they would be great.” Really?
    Great players make bad teams better.

• Whoknows

NEW POST

• DJ Johnny

With McClain it wasn’t a matter of IF only a matter of WHEN he’d be let go.

I guess HOW was debatable too….traded or cut.

• inonewordraider

any young FA pass rushers out there still?

• SnBG

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    Plunketthead Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    B@uce
    that’s what im saying,
    he could not cut it, goodbye
    ****************************

The other palmer lovers not for the Raiders at all
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Ok, let me put this in terms you may understand. Your a fkg dkwad loser that can go fk yourself. Your a moron that doesn’t know any Mfkin thing about football. Suck Palmers balls because that’s about all your good for.
    OK, did you understand that????

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Anyone remember when Brian the Genital’s cousin tanked in the 1st round last year and then he threatened to kill everyone on the blog?

That was totally hilarious, shout out to Jada Pinkett Smith (kiss kiss sugar doll, don’t cry no mo)

Or how about the time Nob Bust told everyone he was an “actual cool guy”?

This has been Blog Good Ole Days with your host, The Beeech Dawg

• theghostronin79

**********

no, ur a liar. u secretly want him to fail cuz ur a racist.

===========

lol…..Seriously though, I want the best guy to lead us and I do everything I can to not let my personal love for Pryor get in the way of my judgement and objective critisism.

• dr_robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Arians will have a new qb come 2014

************

now who’s making excuses?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

At least RoMac wised up enough to listen to his agent. You know he wanted to say ‘Fck, y’all’.

• dr_robert

The Beeech Diggity Dawg Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Or how about the time Nob Bust told everyone he was an “actual cool guy”?

This has been Blog Good Ole Days with your host, The Beeech Dawg

**********

wow. u and missdick keep a log of everything that’s ever happened here, huh?

sad. btw, keep saying MELTDOWN. it really bothers me.

• willy91137

I don’t know what kind of offense we are going to run it is probably going to be some kind of a West Coast type Flynn is very good at the no huddle I’m surePryor can run the no huddle

I don’t think they’re going to give Pryor a real chance to start if I was them I would keep him around because of your offense of lien is not very good he is the quarterback to have bet you there’s been talk with Philadelphia about tradingPryor but Ridge is probably asking for way too much he probably wants a second round . Flynn is Reggie’s man Pryor is AL man

I hope Pryor kicks Flynn ass

• jesusraiderjim

R8ER MIKE Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    thank goodness its almost 4:20.. dont know how much more of this i can take and NOT be high !!!
    lmao at YOU PEOPLE !! LOL LOL LOL

——————————————-

Proof the blog should close at noon for Stupid Monkeys.