Q&A with Raiders CB Tracy Porter

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 at 12:21 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcription of a conference call Wednesday with newly-signed cornerback Tracy Porter and Bay Area reporters who cover the Raiders:

Q: How appealing to play for Dennis Allen again?

Porter: It played a pretty significant part, because he was my defensive backs coach my first three years in New Orleans. I’m very familiar with what he likes to do. I mean, he’s familiar with me and it was just a natural comfort zone there.

Q: How is your health, a lost season last year . . . are you 100 percent?

Porter: Oh yeah. I’m more than 100 percent ready. I was actually late on the phone call, I’m in the middle of the phone call right now and I just remembered I had to talk to you guys. I’ve been out for the past two or three months, perfectly fine, doing defensive back drills, haven’t had any setbacks. I look at last season as a learning experience as well as just a setback. Any setback, there’s always an opportunity for a comeback. It was a setback last year, now I’ll have a major comeback.

Q: When you say no setbacks, are you referring to the seizures?

Porter: I mean, the seizure, that was just a one-time deal. They never really found the cause. It may be the altitude. Maybe I wasn’t adjusted to the climate. I don’t know the reason that it happened, but it happened. It’s in the past. I’ve been cleared of everything and I’m ready to go. I’m 100 percent.

Q: Talked about Dennis’ style, what do you envision this defense looking like?

Porter: I look at it as a little bit of the things that allowed those guys to be successful last year. I mean, corner play is huge, not only for Dennis but for any team to be successful in the NFL. If you don’t have successful guys on an island that can help you get off the field on third down, then it’s going to be hard for your guys to rush the passer and affect the quarterback. I just look for him to put pressure on the corners to lock those guys down out there on the edges, and he’s always done a good job in developing his corners. I came out, yeah, I had talent, I could do certain things, but he taught me things along the way, technique wise. He taught me things mentally to prepare to go out there on the field and give my all each and every play and that made me a better corner on the field. It provided me with a lot of success. Having that history with him, I was hoping we could just pick back up where we left off up in New Orleans.

Q: Visits to other teams? Other opportunities?

Porter: A visit to New Orleans, I took a visit there, but it was just mainly between New Orleans and Oakland. A few teams inquired about me, they didn’t make a move, I don’t know if they were scared that I had a real problem with seizures or not, but that clearly wasn’t the case. I’ve been cleared of that whole element. That’s in the past now, I’m even concerned with having another. I’ve been cleared. I’ve been taking extra care of my body. If feel great. I feel wonderful and I’m just ready to embrace this opportunity to get my career back on track because of the setback I had last year and show people I am a corner who can play at this level and play at an elite level.

Q: With all you’ve done, Super Bowl championship, etc., still only 26, feel a lot of football in you?

Porter: Absolutely. For one, I haven’t really taken a lot of banging on my body through the years. I started playing football my 11th grade year in high school. Most guys, they start to play football when they’re 4 and 5, so they’ve been getting knocked around a lot more than I have. I still have a slight edge on guys from that aspect as well, I mean, I didn’t play much last year, so my body had enough time to recover. I haven’t taken a lot of nicks on the body. It’s a plus for me, I wanted to be out there on the field but at the end of the day, playing in this league, you’re going to get banged up, but that allowed my body to heal for any nagging little nicks that I’ve had, any little injuries that I sustained. I feel brand new. I’m as healthy as I’ve ever been. I’m just looking forward and I’m excited about the opportunity before me.

Q: How tough to not only have seizure, but not get back on field?

Porter: It was tough. Being the competitor that I am, I wanted to get back on the field once I was cleared and healthy, but this is a business and those guys, they played great, they played tremendous in my absence, they just felt comfortable with those guys on the field and I mean, that’s the nature of the business. You get hurt, guys step up and I mean, you have to watch those guys play. No player wants to sit back and watch another guy play, but at the end of the day it’s a part of the business. I accepted it for what it was, and that’s just what happened.

Q: When you look at Raiders, get sense they’re rebuilding?

Porter: I mean, they have a lot of talent, a lot of speed on the roster. We played those guys, when we were in Denver I played them, and I mean, like I said, they have talent on offense, they have talent on defense, we just have to put all that talent on the field collectively and not back down from any challenge. I don’t know how the locker room is right now because I haven’t had the opportunity to be around the guys yet. My whole mind frame is, I don’t look at anybody as unbeatable. I don’t care who I’m playing with, who I’m playing or what history the team has. They can win 100 games in a row, if they come up and play us, I’m expecting to beat that team. I’m just hoping that the guys in the locker room take that same mentality out there.

Q: See self as a leader? Come in take on that role?

Porter: I welcome any challenge. If I’m asked to be one of the leaders on the team, I’ll definitely do that. I’m more of a guy that leads by example rather than going in and being the rah-rah guy and say this is wwhat we need to do, this is what we don’t need to do and I don’t do it. I’d rather just show guys on the field, off the field, the way it’s supposed to be done, and it will be up to them if they follow that lead, which I’m hoping they would do.

Q: Seems like strategy is to get guys who are looking for either a second chance or a first chance, serious about football, love it, are short on drama . . .does that sum you up?

Porter: Pretty much. I mean, I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m a guy that stays out of trouble, doesn’t put himself into difficult situations. I’m a guy who loves the game of football, who wants nothing more than to succeed and wants my team to succeed. And another thing the coaches, and Reggie, they’re doing a good job of bringing guys in and keeping guys that have that same mindset. Nobody wants to bring guys in that are troublemakers that are going to be a cancer to the team and break up the team. You don’t want that, because, that destroys the comraderie, it breaks up the locker room, you have have a bunch of guys that are playing for themselves, no one’s on the same page. So we want guys that want to win, that love the game of football, that just want to take this Raiders team to a new level.

Q: Are you a big film guy, or someone who relies on athletic ability and lets that take over?

Porter: I would say, in the beginning I kind of relied on my athleticism early in my career, but as I began to learn the NFL game, because it’s quite different from high school and college. I mean, you have to do more than just rely on your talent, because everyone at this level is talented. There’s such a small percentage of people that make it to this level. I’ve grown to learn and study more film because it allows you to play faster, it allows you to know what the opposing team’s doing. It allows you to know what the opposing team likes to do, what they don’t like to do. If you’re out there and have an idea of what they like to do, it allows you to play faster. The guy that’s running a 4.7 looks like he’s running a 4.4. The guy who’s running the 4.2 looks like he’s running a 4.1. That’s just because they’re a student of the game, they know what’s coming and they know what to anticipate.

Q: Does playing for Allen bring out best of you?

Porter: Having an opportunity rejuvenate my career is one thing, and like I said, Dennis, he did a great job in bringing the best out of me. I’ve grown to love the guy, he was my coach. He was the one who had a hand in getting me drafted. I mean, he wanted me in that room in New Orleans and he wants me in the room in Oakland. I mean, he and I have along history together and it almost seems like he and I, it almost seems like I’m following him because he went from New Orleans to Denver, I went from New Orleans to Denver. He went from Denver to Oakland, now I’m going from Denver to Oakland. It almost seems like he and I are simultaneously sticking together.

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    Missdick–ur mom was nailed by Palmer in the azz.
    ********************************

Mom jokes? Proof Mistic is rippin you to shreds

• irjonny

my take on pryor:

good arm. decent accuracy. terrible mechanics. can’t make all the throws.

after college, 2 yrs on the team and preseason game time if you haven’t figured out NFL QB footwork and how to throw a laser you simply will never learn

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

for all of the ‘bail out” theorist im noticing a trend.

This is the same group that constantly tried to sell the “bail out”theory when jc was here in order to discredit his effort as well.

Yet i have never seen anyone say carson was “bailed out”.

hmmmmm

question whena qb is “bailed out” does the td come off the board?

No? why not?

• JB

How about Charles Woodson at FS. Apparently SF wasn’t interested so he’s available. Maybe we can land him as a default team.

• SnBG

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:19 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:13 pm
    Pryor is the DHB of qb’s.

Pryor has great physical tools but doesn’t throw well. The ONE thing a qb needs to be able to do.

DHB has great physical tools but doesn’t catch well. The ONE thing a wr needs to be able to do.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I’m still speechless!!!!!!!!

Bcz…the 2nd TD was a intermediate pass…the first TD was what we would considered a deep pass…which he slightly underthrown….criner made a great play

• bcz24

Well I’m of the mindset that week 17 he did okay and didnt fully trust himself….with that being said I’m happy to see he has been on the westcoast working hard and with his teammates….if he has the proper coaching with his mechanics he surely can make this competition that much more interesting
    ******************
    FINALLY someone with a legit take on The Legend! I cosign this 100%

• irjonny

shouldn’t the fact that halfway through camp the coaches panicked and signed leinart to be our no.2 raise at least one red flag to raider fans regarding pryor?

• dr_robert

Dhb didn’t earn his starting spot and Pryor is lucky he ever got in a game.

They both lack the essential skill required for their position.

Pryor is just a great athlete running around and then tossing the ball.

If u think he could start and lead the raiders to a single win, let alone a winning season, then u lack any sort of football acumen.

Lol. Yeah b@uce. I’m MR. We al are. We’re all secretly racist. All us rich kids are out to get u.

Like del said: “remember that it’s all in ur head!”

• inonewordraider

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    for all of the ‘bail out” theorist im noticing a trend.

Yet i have never seen anyone say carson was “bailed out”.

hmmmmm

question whena qb is “bailed out” does the td come off the board?

No? why not?
    ____________
    there are pryor haters in here no doubt, but there are also people just pointing out the flaws they perceive he has just like you point out the flaws you perceve flynn has

fair?

JB Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    ********************************

Same thing in 1998 with Eric Allen…he came here by default and played well here…had he not hurt his knee in 98 the Raiders woulda made playoffs in Gruden’s first year

1997 the defense was horrible but in draft we got Woodson and Ritchie plus made some good FA moves and bam we were competitive….dont know why people dont think we can do it here in 2013

• irjonny

the pryor conversation horse has been beat into the ground. more than once. it’s really a dumb conversation. no one cares about how you evaluate QBs from the comfort of your living room. coaches know better, that’s why he’s not our starter

• hwnrdr

2958.irjonny Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I thought that Leinhart came over with Knapp?

• irjonny

———————–

i second that

********************************

HAHA he cant lead the Raiders to a single win? See the hypocrisy of MR everyone? I thought QBs arent the reason for Wins and Losses…but yet you talk about he cant lead….if you lead the charge then you get the credit….just like in war or business…..good job you fkin idiot

He definitely can lead us to wins as can Flynn

• SnBG

You are a damn lie….you said no nfl analyst or expert will use that attachment of W-L to a QB. NFL network is where analysts and experts work and they use it all the time….you are scrambling now only saying its not an official stat….and it an official stat..W-L is the ultimate stat you fool

Its a QB driven league and this league is about wins….get it you moron?
    ………………………….
    Great QB’ can’t win without a good team behind them.
    Palmer in Oakland.
    Montana never made the SB with KC

Hwnrdr Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:32 pm
    2958.irjonny Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I thought that Leinhart came over with Knapp?
    ********************************

He is misinformed badly…Leinart came here in May not in middle of camp lmao

• irjonny

Hwnrdr Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:32 pm
    2958.irjonny Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I thought that Leinhart came over with Knapp?
    —————————–
    knapp didn’t just sneak him into the facility in his suitcase. pryor lost the no.2 job to him in camp. that’s all i’m sayin.

his stats look good for the wk 17 game but…..

WAIT! you suckered me into a pryor conversation!! dam you

SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Its a QB driven league and this league is about wins….get it you moron?
    ………………………….
    Great QB’ can’t win without a good team behind them.
    Palmer in Oakland.
    Montana never made the SB with KC
    ****************************************

Palmer wasnt good. Stop making excuses for him

Montana went to back to back playoffs in KC winning two playoff games….now shut the fk up

• bcz24

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:29 pm
    *****************
    I literally just watched the play again. The ball was caught 28 yards from the line of scrimmage, and it was WAY out in front of Criner. Criner barely snagged it with the tips of his fingers, like I said, an amazing catch on a poorly placed ball. 28 yards IS NOT A DEEP PASS!

I am not crapping on The Legend for this, I am merely pointing out the HALF TRUTH of Mistic’s ‘Beautiful 76 yard pass’ comment. That’s it. Mistic tried to say The Legend threw the ball 76 yards on the money, so he obviously can throw the deep ball. The fact is, he threw the ball 28 yards and Criner made one hell of a catch. That’s it. Fact, not fiction. Look it up for yourself.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:25 pm

On deep passes the qb is supposed to put the ball in a spot where the wr can go up and make a play, pryor has shown he can do that
    ****************

For the 936th time, I LIKE PRYOR. I HOPE HE SUCCEEDS.

==============

putting it in all caps doesnt make it any more true

you are in the archives making it plain that pryor isnt an nfl qb and have suggested he switch positions

• dr_robert

B@uce–wins and losses is a team/head coach stat. Ur too dumb to understand that. No experts attach it to a qb. Just media when they’re trying to simplify thing for dolts like urself.

People who think Palmer sucks:
    Missdick
    B@uce
    Warren sapp

People who think Palmer is good:
    Me
    Terrelle Pryor
    Charlie casserly
    Coach of the year Bruce Arians.

B@uce–after Palmer was done with missdick’s mom, he had ur mom suck it.

• SnBG

JB Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Woodson is to old, lets get Usama. He’s younger

Irjonny Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:37 pm
    Hwnrdr Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:32 pm
    2958.irjonny Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I thought that Leinhart came over with Knapp?
    —————————–

his stats look good for the wk 17 game but…..

WAIT! you suckered me into a pryor conversation!! dam you
    *********************************

You are so wrong…Napa camp starts in July not May….try again

Irjohnny…nice of you to highlight the buddy system that went on with the 2012 raiders…Leinart was brought becuz of his butt buddy Knapp….he stinks and Mark and Reggie stepped in to see Pryor

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Man. could we get some rest on the whole Mistic vs the world thing?

I propose a cease fire on all things Flynn vs Pryor until the first preseason game when we can actually see them play?

• SnBG

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:37 pm
    SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Its a QB driven league and this league is about wins….get it you moron?
    ………………………….
    Great QB’ can’t win without a good team behind them.
    Palmer in Oakland.
    Montana never made the SB with KC
    ****************************************

Palmer wasnt good. Stop making excuses for him

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    B@, your mother called me last night and said she was worried about you cause you aint brushing or flossing your teeth. Please man. take care of your teeth so you don’t embarrass us

• dr_robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 3rd, 2013 at 4:22 pm

3. I didnt “compare flynn to a career back up” HE HAS BEEN IN THE NFL FOR 6 SEASONS AS A BACK UP AND NEVER BEEN A STARTER.

tHAT IS WHAT HAS ACTUALLY HAPPENED, I DIDNT DREAM IT UP.

• dr_robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

putting it in all caps doesnt make it any more true

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

People who think Palmer sucks:
    Missdick
    B@uce
    Warren sapp

People who think Palmer is good:
    Me
    Terrelle Pryor
    Charlie casserly
    Coach of the year Bruce Arians.

B@uce–after Palmer was done with missdick’s mom, he had ur mom suck it.
    ************************8

NFL experts are apart of the media you fkin dummy! Thank you very much for showing us exactly how stupid you are.

Wins and Losses are quite simple….because truly its the only thing that matters

Wow the mom jokes….keep showing the blog Mistic and I are taking turns slappin you upside the head

• dr_robert

LOL. he can do it but others can’t. just like all liars.

SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:37 pm
    SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Its a QB driven league and this league is about wins….get it you moron?
    ………………………….
    Great QB’ can’t win without a good team behind them.
    Palmer in Oakland.
    Montana never made the SB with KC
    ****************************************

Palmer wasnt good. Stop making excuses for him

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ********************************

Back to the drawing board……you and funny just do not mix….try another avenue because this one isnt working for you

• dr_robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

**********

LOL! yeah. i’m sure that nfl talent evaluators look at wins and losses rather than skills. IT’S TV DUMMY! they have to dumb it down for the housewives and b@uce’s of the world.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

putting it in all caps doesnt make it any more true
    ————————–
    But it is true isn’t it?

• bcz24

*********
    Another LIE. I NEVER said Pryor should switch positions. I think the guys who say that are just dumb, just because the kid is fast, doesn’t mean he can run a route or catch the ball, and he surely couldn’t beat NFL coverage regularly. I have said in the past based on what I saw, that I did not believe The Legend could become a legit NFL QB, I also said I didn’t like that we used that draft pick on him. The kid is working his ass off to do just that, so maybe he can. I have backed off of that, and have said since the I watched him play SD that he shows a lot of potential. I still believe he needs to improve his passing. Say what you want about that SD game but he completed just 7 passes to WR’s. That is not good. He needs to improve. Period. Why does that make me a hater? Because I don’t agree with you that The Legend is the best QB to ever walk the earth I am a hater? You are ridiculous.

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:42 pm
    Man. could we get some rest on the whole Mistic vs the world thing?

*******************************

No because those two are vying for the ultimate position in all of sports

• dr_robert

first:

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 3rd, 2013 at 4:22 pm

tHAT IS WHAT HAS ACTUALLY HAPPENED, I DIDNT DREAM IT UP.

then:

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

putting it in all caps doesnt make it any more true

*************

FLIP. FLOP.

Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya

• SnBG

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Just like slappin your wanker when your in you basement staring up at that Flynn poster. Flynn is a ok looking guy but jeeeese B@ control yourself.

• dr_robert

campbell = so-so

palmer = good (just ask coach of the year bruce arians!)

pryor = poor passer

flynn = the future!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

weird I posted to you tube clips of pryor throwing 50 yards and they are being moderated.

is i because i called out bcz and asked him to give his opinion if the passes were “deep’ or required arm strength?

Is bcz connected to the mods?

Hmmmmm

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:46 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

**********

******************************

Is Donovan McNabb a housewife?…be careful how you answer

• dr_robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya

********

no. not a talent evaluator. an ex-player who has some knowledge of the qb position but is like a lot of players, in that they have skewed opinions, especially when it comes to themselves, and they generally repeat what they have been told by coaches they have had.

some players rise above this. players like steve young or tom jackson and many others.

SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    *************************************

You have much gay fantasies I see….did you assist Brendan Ayanbadejo on prop 8 being overturned?

• bcz24

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Is bcz connected to the mods?
    *********
    Are you seriously trying to same I am connected to the moderators now? WTF is wrong with dude?

I didn’t say The Legend NEVER threw a 50 yard pass. I said the 1 you are siting against Detroit was not a deep pass. It was a 28 yard pass with a lot of YAC.

Say or post anything you want. I just watched the play with my own eyes, and I will post the link when I am not at work.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

*********
    Another LIE. I NEVER said Pryor should switch positions.

========================

excuse me if i mixed you up with the switch positions crowd.

yet your take that he could never be an nfl qb still stands, and is tantamount to saying he should switch positions isnt it?

bottom line you dont think he can pay qb in the nfl and none of his completions runs or td passes in pre season or week 17 will change your mind.

so i will look you up if pryor lights it up

• SnBG

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    What is it with you and Starting QB’s. You hate them all.
    Did they jilt your advances

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaidingTexas Says:

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:

I thought Texas WAS Baja Oklahoma.

——————————————-

Haha. I don’t get offended over stupid stuff like that.

But it does remind me … We have a saying here:

Why doesn’t Texas slide into the Gulf of Mexico? Because Oklahoma sucks.

No offense intended to OklahomaRaider if he’s around today.
    =====================================================

After posting that and giving credit to Dan Jenkins(well respected and storied SI writer) I googled him to verify he wrote ‘Baja Oklahoma’ and he was born in Ft. Worth. Hah!

• bcz24

LOL… that’s fvckin rich… I’m a moderator now. HAHAHAHA. You are insane Mistic.

• dr_robert

b@uce u ignoramus. i’m aware that many times , people put up the record of a qb.

it doesn’t make it a valuable or even sensible thing to do.

palmer’s failure here was mainly due to his team sucking. he had some personal failings on the field too but the team’s wins and losses were a reflection of the poor talent as a whole.

bruce arians, coach of the year, chose him as his qb in his first year as a head coach.

was troy aikman a great qb? no. but he stupidly gets credit for the cowboys being winners.