3,099

Q&A with Raiders CB Tracy Porter

A transcription of a conference call Wednesday with newly-signed cornerback Tracy Porter and Bay Area reporters who cover the Raiders:

Q: How appealing to play for Dennis Allen again?

Porter: It played a pretty significant part, because he was my defensive backs coach my first three years in New Orleans. I’m very familiar with what he likes to do. I mean, he’s familiar with me and it was just a natural comfort zone there.

Q: How is your health, a lost season last year . . . are you 100 percent?

Porter: Oh yeah. I’m more than 100 percent ready. I was actually late on the phone call, I’m in the middle of the phone call right now and I just remembered I had to talk to you guys. I’ve been out for the past two or three months, perfectly fine, doing defensive back drills, haven’t had any setbacks. I look at last season as a learning experience as well as just a setback. Any setback, there’s always an opportunity for a comeback. It was a setback last year, now I’ll have a major comeback.

Q: When you say no setbacks, are you referring to the seizures?

Porter: I mean, the seizure, that was just a one-time deal. They never really found the cause. It may be the altitude. Maybe I wasn’t adjusted to the climate. I don’t know the reason that it happened, but it happened. It’s in the past. I’ve been cleared of everything and I’m ready to go. I’m 100 percent.

Q: Talked about Dennis’ style, what do you envision this defense looking like?

Porter: I look at it as a little bit of the things that allowed those guys to be successful last year. I mean, corner play is huge, not only for Dennis but for any team to be successful in the NFL. If you don’t have successful guys on an island that can help you get off the field on third down, then it’s going to be hard for your guys to rush the passer and affect the quarterback. I just look for him to put pressure on the corners to lock those guys down out there on the edges, and he’s always done a good job in developing his corners. I came out, yeah, I had talent, I could do certain things, but he taught me things along the way, technique wise. He taught me things mentally to prepare to go out there on the field and give my all each and every play and that made me a better corner on the field. It provided me with a lot of success. Having that history with him, I was hoping we could just pick back up where we left off up in New Orleans.

Q: Visits to other teams? Other opportunities?

Porter: A visit to New Orleans, I took a visit there, but it was just mainly between New Orleans and Oakland. A few teams inquired about me, they didn’t make a move, I don’t know if they were scared that I had a real problem with seizures or not, but that clearly wasn’t the case. I’ve been cleared of that whole element. That’s in the past now, I’m even concerned with having another. I’ve been cleared. I’ve been taking extra care of my body. If feel great. I feel wonderful and I’m just ready to embrace this opportunity to get my career back on track because of the setback I had last year and show people I am a corner who can play at this level and play at an elite level.

Q: With all you’ve done, Super Bowl championship, etc., still only 26, feel a lot of football in you?

Porter: Absolutely. For one, I haven’t really taken a lot of banging on my body through the years. I started playing football my 11th grade year in high school. Most guys, they start to play football when they’re 4 and 5, so they’ve been getting knocked around a lot more than I have. I still have a slight edge on guys from that aspect as well, I mean, I didn’t play much last year, so my body had enough time to recover. I haven’t taken a lot of nicks on the body. It’s a plus for me, I wanted to be out there on the field but at the end of the day, playing in this league, you’re going to get banged up, but that allowed my body to heal for any nagging little nicks that I’ve had, any little injuries that I sustained. I feel brand new. I’m as healthy as I’ve ever been. I’m just looking forward and I’m excited about the opportunity before me.

Q: How tough to not only have seizure, but not get back on field?

Porter: It was tough. Being the competitor that I am, I wanted to get back on the field once I was cleared and healthy, but this is a business and those guys, they played great, they played tremendous in my absence, they just felt comfortable with those guys on the field and I mean, that’s the nature of the business. You get hurt, guys step up and I mean, you have to watch those guys play. No player wants to sit back and watch another guy play, but at the end of the day it’s a part of the business. I accepted it for what it was, and that’s just what happened.

Q: When you look at Raiders, get sense they’re rebuilding?

Porter: I mean, they have a lot of talent, a lot of speed on the roster. We played those guys, when we were in Denver I played them, and I mean, like I said, they have talent on offense, they have talent on defense, we just have to put all that talent on the field collectively and not back down from any challenge. I don’t know how the locker room is right now because I haven’t had the opportunity to be around the guys yet. My whole mind frame is, I don’t look at anybody as unbeatable. I don’t care who I’m playing with, who I’m playing or what history the team has. They can win 100 games in a row, if they come up and play us, I’m expecting to beat that team. I’m just hoping that the guys in the locker room take that same mentality out there.

Q: See self as a leader? Come in take on that role?

Porter: I welcome any challenge. If I’m asked to be one of the leaders on the team, I’ll definitely do that. I’m more of a guy that leads by example rather than going in and being the rah-rah guy and say this is wwhat we need to do, this is what we don’t need to do and I don’t do it. I’d rather just show guys on the field, off the field, the way it’s supposed to be done, and it will be up to them if they follow that lead, which I’m hoping they would do.

Q: Seems like strategy is to get guys who are looking for either a second chance or a first chance, serious about football, love it, are short on drama . . .does that sum you up?

Porter: Pretty much. I mean, I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m a guy that stays out of trouble, doesn’t put himself into difficult situations. I’m a guy who loves the game of football, who wants nothing more than to succeed and wants my team to succeed. And another thing the coaches, and Reggie, they’re doing a good job of bringing guys in and keeping guys that have that same mindset. Nobody wants to bring guys in that are troublemakers that are going to be a cancer to the team and break up the team. You don’t want that, because, that destroys the comraderie, it breaks up the locker room, you have have a bunch of guys that are playing for themselves, no one’s on the same page. So we want guys that want to win, that love the game of football, that just want to take this Raiders team to a new level.

Q: Are you a big film guy, or someone who relies on athletic ability and lets that take over?

Porter: I would say, in the beginning I kind of relied on my athleticism early in my career, but as I began to learn the NFL game, because it’s quite different from high school and college. I mean, you have to do more than just rely on your talent, because everyone at this level is talented. There’s such a small percentage of people that make it to this level. I’ve grown to learn and study more film because it allows you to play faster, it allows you to know what the opposing team’s doing. It allows you to know what the opposing team likes to do, what they don’t like to do. If you’re out there and have an idea of what they like to do, it allows you to play faster. The guy that’s running a 4.7 looks like he’s running a 4.4. The guy who’s running the 4.2 looks like he’s running a 4.1. That’s just because they’re a student of the game, they know what’s coming and they know what to anticipate.

Q: Does playing for Allen bring out best of you?

Porter: Having an opportunity rejuvenate my career is one thing, and like I said, Dennis, he did a great job in bringing the best out of me. I’ve grown to love the guy, he was my coach. He was the one who had a hand in getting me drafted. I mean, he wanted me in that room in New Orleans and he wants me in the room in Oakland. I mean, he and I have along history together and it almost seems like he and I, it almost seems like I’m following him because he went from New Orleans to Denver, I went from New Orleans to Denver. He went from Denver to Oakland, now I’m going from Denver to Oakland. It almost seems like he and I are simultaneously sticking together.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya

********

no. not a talent evaluator. an ex-player who has some knowledge of the qb position but is like a lot of players, in that they have skewed opinions, especially when it comes to themselves, and they generally repeat what they have been told by coaches they have had.

some players rise above this. players like steve young or tom jackson and many others.
    ******************************

HAHAHAHAHA see everyone…..and this guy says he is not MR…..so let me get this straight a multiple Pro Bowl and playoff winning QB who wasnt a bust of a pick isnt an expert on the NFL…especially the QB position? He is also a NFL analyst

So wait…players have skewed opinions but not talent evaluators? Hypocrite alert!

So former players have no access to what coaches and scouts and such think? LMAO

• dr_robert

Bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Are you seriously trying to same I am connected to the moderators now? WTF is wrong with dude?

************

paranoid delusions.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    weird I posted to you tube clips of pryor throwing 50 yards and they are being moderated.

is i because i called out bcz and asked him to give his opinion if the passes were “deep’ or required arm strength?

Is bcz connected to the mods?
    *********

I didn’t say The Legend NEVER threw a 50 yard pass. I said the 1 you are siting against Detroit was not a deep pass. It was a 28 yard pass with a lot of YAC.

Say or post anything you want. I just watched the play with my own eyes, and I will post the link when I am not at work.
    ================

my reason for posting the td was to prove arm strength.

You jumped in and said i picked a poor highlight to make my case, so i posted another that clearly demonstrates my point.

your response? ‘i didnt say he couldnt throw 50 yards”‘

then why try and disprove my statement in the first place?

you are squirming

does pryor have a strong arm bcz?

i say it is very strong

SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:55 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    What is it with you and Starting QB’s. You hate them all.
    Did they jilt your advances
    ******************************

You have no proof to say I hate all starting QBs…that doesnt even make sense at all

• bcz24

so i will look you up if pryor lights it up
    ************
    For the sake of the colors I bleed and the team I love, I hope to hell I eat a damn lot of crow on that one!

I don’t understand why it is such a sin to you that I have a differing opinion on a player from you. Captain conspiracy theory doesn’t like it when someone forms his own opinion huh?

• DJ Johnny

I can only think of one QB I really didn’t like while he was playing for us and that was Kerry Collins.

That dumb half open mouth look on his face when he’d screw up… it was like “duuuuhhhhhh”. It just irritated me. I don’t think he was a good qb for us either.

I also didn’t like JC after we got blown out by Tennessee in the 2010 opener(?) after he slid before the first down marker. Also didn’t like those sideline deep balls…thought he played it TOO safe, but there was a method to his madness at the end of the day and it’s better to throw it out of bounds instead of chucking up picks.

But…in hindsight he’s been the best winner for us since Gannon right? You can’t take that away from him and he went down…I was legitimately bummed cuz we were looking really good at the time.

• Whoknows

People who think Palmer sucks:
    Missdick
    B@uce
    Warren sapp
    ********************
    You can add WhoKnows to that list

• dr_robert

April 5th, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya

********

******************************

**********

mcnabb is a retired player. he was asked to put a suit and tie on and sit in a studio and talk about things.

he has never evaluated players professionally or been a coach.

he played the position but many players are known for not being great coaches or evaluators.

is shannon sharpe an expert? warren sapp? dan deirdorf?

• Cervantes

Don’t suppose anyone wants to talk about the 69 Million in cap space next year for our squad as estimated by John Clayton.

Who’s available next year?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    excuse me if i mixed you up with the switch positions crowd.
    ======================================================

Miss Tick, you need to research the archives more thoroughly and compile some more lists.
    Preferably many weeks of research and many mor compiling.
    I’ll look forward to hearing from you, say, mid-June or so.

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    b@uce u ignoramus. i’m aware that many times , people put up the record of a qb.

it doesn’t make it a valuable or even sensible thing to do.

palmer’s failure here was mainly due to his team sucking. he had some personal failings on the field too but the team’s wins and losses were a reflection of the poor talent as a whole.

bruce arians, coach of the year, chose him as his qb in his first year as a head coach.

was troy aikman a great qb? no. but he stupidly gets credit for the cowboys being winners.
    *******************************************

Hmmmm 6 time pro bowler with 3 rings and a SB mvp with alot of playoff wins…..of course he was great! Are you out ya mind? Cowboys still looking for a QB like aikman after all these years

PALMER’S failures had to do with him not being good…nothing else

• SnBG

April 5th, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    Wow the mom jokes….keep showing the blog Mistic and I are taking turns slappin you upside the head
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Just like slappin your wanker when your in you basement staring up at that Flynn poster. Flynn is a ok looking guy but jeeeese B@ control yourself.
    *************************************

You have much gay fantasies I see….did you assist Brendan Ayanbadejo on prop 8 being overturned?
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I just find it to be very odd that you would take a 7th rnder over a 4000+ passer like Palmer.
    BTW did Palmer really have sex with your mom????

• R8ER MIKE

thank goodness its almost 4:20.. dont know how much more of this i can take and NOT be high !!!
    lmao at YOU PEOPLE !! LOL LOL LOL

• Plunketthead

I smell a meltdown on the way on the board
    and a spicy cocoa kush in the compound

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Just finished humping my new girlfriend Chantal, smoked a huge doobie and cruise over to the blog only to find Nob Bust and Brian the Genital in an all out cat fight

MEOW

Blog Brahs, these are the kinds of silly scuffles that always end up with the two of them making out

Either way, pretty funny that you can tune into the blog anytime of the day or night and see Nob completely MELTING DOWN into a puddle of his own tears

Totally sweet, Beeech Dawg shout out to Johnny Lee Higgins, fly high

Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya

********

******************************

**********

he has never evaluated players professionally or been a coach.

is shannon sharpe an expert? warren sapp? dan deirdorf?
    *********************************

Who knows the game better than players? Reggie is a former player….duh!

• bcz24

you are squirming

does pryor have a strong arm bcz?

i say it is very strong
    *********
    Squirming? No I am actually laughing out loud at your delusions of my having something to do with the moderators.

Does the Legend have a strong arm? I don’t know, I haven’t seen it, he might.

YOU said he threw an accurate 76 yard pass. You lied. He threw a 28 yard pass, off target (but close) that his WR made a beautiful catch. You spend your whole day trying to prove people wrong, can’t take it when your inaccuracies are pointed out??

• SnBG

April 5th, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:55 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    What is it with you and Starting QB’s. You hate them all.
    Did they jilt your advances
    ******************************

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Just a question dude.

• inonewordraider

palmers gone people, you guys raider fans or palmer fans?

it’s over

pryor v flynn 2013

be excited

The Beeech Diggity Dawg Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:02 pm

MEOW

Totally sweet, Beeech Dawg shout out to Johnny Lee Higgins, fly high
    **************************8

We’re talking football and the OAKLAND Raiders….you should try it sometime

Oh yeah you still talking to your ticket rep about your luxury box at Farmer’s Field? lmao

• Plunketthead

The Raider org. is in fine shape and ready to shock the world.

Its ibabuzz that I worry about. They need to cut Cork or trade him for a barrel of ink. Scary needs to move back into blog pimp where he can command the field, issue orders and make sure everyone is lined up right.

HEY HEY A BLOG A DAY

• Twocents

The Nation is divided as it should be. Fortunately, none of our opinions matter.
    I am in the McKenzie camp. Years of watching AD do stupid things made me long for a change.
    I don’t know how it is going to turn out. No GM is right all the time. Hopefully, McKenzie is right most of the time and can turn this franchise around. I am tired of the Raiders being piss poor and the laughing stock of the NFL.

SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:55 pm
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    Hey RobertaMR….is Donovan McNabb a NFL expert?

Watch how you answer this because I’m about to blast ya
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    What is it with you and Starting QB’s. You hate them all.
    Did they jilt your advances
    ******************************

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Just a question dude.
    ************************

Yeah questions generally have a question mark with it

And I responded about you claiming I hate all starting QBs….stay on topic…it shows you are losing bad

• Whoknows

Who knows the game better than players?
    ***********************
    Thank

• Whoknows

Whoknows Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    Who knows the game better than players?
    **************
    As I was trying to say
    Thanks for the shout out

For all the bloggers out there…..just understand RobertaMR says Donovan McNabb isnt a expert on the NFL because he has a suit…like all the other experts….also Aikman wasnt a great QB

• RaidingTexas

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 1s
    Statement from ex-Raiders LB Rolando McClain, part one: “I’d like to thank the Raiders for giving me an opportunity to play in the NFL.”

WTF? So he’s finally been cut?

• RaidingTexas

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 4s
    LB Rolando McClain statement, part 2: “I’m disappointed that it hasn’t worked out better, but I’m very excited and thankful.”

Whoknows Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    Whoknows Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    Who knows the game better than players?
    **************
    As I was trying to say
    Thanks for the shout out
    *******************************

Wish you would tell us who you are….if you are a former NFL player please we would love to hear your expertise on things….RobertaMR claims to a HS coach so therefore he is some expert

• RaidingTexas

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 2s
    LB Rolando McClain statement, part 3: “I will miss my teammates and wish them and the Raiders organization good luck going forward.”

Qbs who start on elite teams for a decade arent experts on playing QB….remember that everyone lmao

• RaidingTexas

SLOLANDO RELEASED!!! or ???

• Plunketthead

Who knows the game better than players?
    ***********************

That reminds me

DAILY REMINDER

Reggie is a Raider, a real honest to goodness peg legged, hook armed, one eyed Raider Captain of the good ship Autumn Wind.

Trust in Captain McKenzie, he wants this more then you do

• SnBG

April 5th, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

it doesn’t make it a valuable or even sensible thing to do.

*******************************************

PALMER’S failures had to do with him not being good…nothing else
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    That’s a serious lie,,,,,,Palmer had the least amount of time to throw than any other QB in the NFL.
    Palmer had receivers that couldn’t make the #1 position on any good team.
    Palmer had to sit on the bench and see a crap ars D give the other team points.
    Palmer had to put up with Knapp, he was changing plays at the line because Knapp couldn’t work the 2 min drills.
    Need I say more

• DJ Johnny

I’m in the wait and see camp with Reggie.

All he’s gotten so far is 4-12.

Does it look promising that we’re gonna get better? Yes.

It goes w/o saying I “hope” he turns out to be a genius…any true Raider fan hopes so, but until I see real progress on the field i will cease from being ecstatic about all his moves.

You know i’m mixin up the kool aid though…as always.

• SnBG

Oh, and Palmer had no freaking running game

• Whoknows

*********************
    Unfortunately I can’t claim to be a former NFL player or HS coach
    But after reading this blog for so long I can claim that what ever Nob says you should believe the opposite to be true.

• SnBG

DJ Johnny Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    I’m in the wait and see camp with Reggie.

All he’s gotten so far is 4-12.

Does it look promising that we’re gonna get better? Yes.

You know i’m mixin up the kool aid though…as always.
    I’ll take some cheery with a little acid in it.

• bcz24

I guess we will know shortly if the Raiders successfully vacated the future guarantees on his contract.

• RaidingTexas

More confirmation coming in:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 9m
    Raiders waiving LB Rolando McClain today.
    J by @espn_afcwest

RaidingTexas Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:10 pm
    ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 2s
    ****************************88888

Fk you man…u suck

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

bcz24 Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

you are squirming

does pryor have a strong arm bcz?

i say it is very strong
    *********

Does the Legend have a strong arm? I don’t know, I haven’t seen it, he might.

YOU said he threw an accurate 76 yard pass. You lied.
    ==============

is it not in the books as 76 yard td?

I didnt say it traveled 76 yards in the air

finally you answered my question with “i dont know”

based on the deep passes i posted from ohio state i would say he does have a strong arm

maybe you dont think those qualify as deep passes either.

LMAO

squirming

• The_Judge37

Whoknows Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    Who knows the game better than players?
    ———

Especially Linebackers!

FIRE REGGIE NOW, HIRE MATT MILLEN SOON

• itzSteve

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel
    @bj5n2882 Assuming the Raiders void McClain’s $3.635M in ’13 & ’14 guarantees because of his ’12 suspension, it’s $4.255M of cap relief.
    Retweeted by SBreport

• DJ Johnny

SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    DJ Johnny Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    I’m in the wait and see camp with Reggie.

All he’s gotten so far is 4-12.

Does it look promising that we’re gonna get better? Yes.

You know i’m mixin up the kool aid though…as always.
    I’ll take some cheery with a little acid in it.

I’ve got you marked down for cherry. As far as acid….do you prefer Orange sunshine or just your basic blotter?

SnBG Says:
    April 5th, 2013 at 1:13 pm
    Oh, and Palmer had no freaking running game
    ********************************

Excuses…he had running game in 2011 and punked out

• RaidingTexas

Bcz24 Says:

——————————————-

So the cap space has been at $6,855,649.00 since yesterday according to:

We’ll see where it is by Monday.

• Plunketthead

If CP had to overcome an obstacle in life every now and then and if CP had guts, tenacity and balls the size of hillarys he would have proven himself by now.

As it is he is a dam good QB staring twilight in the face. May he live long and prosper

Time to sign Tyson Clabo

• dr_robert

April 5th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

PALMER’S failures had to do with him not being good…nothing else

**********

this is EXACTLY why u don’t get it.

if a qb passes for a lot of yards and td’s and completes a high % of his passes but loses, u think he sucks.

but if a qb passes for a small amount while his team excells dut to a great run game and defense, u think he’s great.

aikman was solid. there are a LOT of people who realize he wasn’t great and gets too much credit for the cowboys being good.

ur a dumb fanboy.