3,955

Update: Raiders waive McClain

The Raiders will waive middle linebacker Rolando McClain Friday, according to an ESPN report.

UPDATE: The Raiders confirmed they have waived McClain.

McClain’s departure was a foregone conclusion ever since his two-game suspension last season for conduct detrimental to the team after he got into an exchange with coach Dennis Allen after being informed Omar Gaither would be the starting linebacker.

There was no immediate confirmation from the Raiders on the transaction.

Earlier in the season, McClain was removed from the field in the nickel defense, with rookie Miles Burris taking his place.

The Butkus Award winner from national champion Alabama never became the playmaker or defensive presence the Raideres had hoped after making him the No. 8 overall pick in the NFL draft.

While often invisible on the field, McClain made headlines for the wrong reasons off the field, most notably an in-season arrest in 2011 on charges that he allegedly fired a gun near the head of an acquaintance following an argument.

Misdemeanor charges of third-degree assault, reckless endangerment, menacing and illegal discharge of a firearm within the city limits of his hometown of Decatur, Ala., were eventually dropped when the victim in the case declined to assist in prosecution.

Most recently, McClain was arrested for failing to citation after being pulled over for illegal window tint.

The Raiders signed three linebackers during the free agent period, Kaluka Maiava, Nick Roach and Kevin Burnett. Roach is the likely starting middle linebacker if the Raiders retain a 4-3 defense.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• qodrn1

My cell phone says Raiders have signed Mike Jenkins, CB.

(Sorry, I am charging the thing).

• DJ Johnny

As far as Jenkins goes, there’s a reason Dallas went and got Carr and drafted Claiborne; but…this ranks us probably middle of the pack at least in terms of corners…upgrade imo.

• xraided

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:46 pm
    “If we trade down with Miami to get the 12 42 and 54…we can find our NT,RDE and FS in that block”

OR

#15 from the Saints they need to replace their LT that left to Free Agency.

___________________

didn’t think about that one .. so two very likely scenarios at this point.

J Hill Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    Rookies at those 3 positions won’t help us win next year.

Would be good building blocks though,

I’d go NT at 12 with Hankins, RB and OLB in rd 2.

We’re running a 3-4!
    ************************

No we are not dude….what is your malfunction?

J Hill Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:45 pm
    Congrats to Louisvillle.

They earned it.
    *******************************

Yeah because Mike dixon got fked over

• RaiderRich510

Fkn A?? Who do you guys want Revis and Sherman Cb’s with Rg 3 at QB and Suh at DT?? This aint Madden. Be happy we didnt get stuck Matt Millen as GM. We’d be F’d for another ten years….

Raiders are running a 4-3 Jhill….stop with your nonsense

• DJ Johnny

This brings us yet another step closer to achieving my dream of having a “below average” defense.

Or better?

• xraided

Mike Jenkins needed a fresh start and to get over his injuries.. which there’s apparently “no lingering effects” … we’ll see about that i suppose .. but if that’s true and he plays with a chip on his shoulder, there’s A LOT of upside there.

• Gdog

ToneMcFresh Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

‏@AdamSchefter

Raiders reached agreement with former Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins.
    >>>>

He lit it up in 2009 according to PFF (+12.7) and has struggled since.

The last two years can be written off as the “SOB factor.” No cornerback can get good ratings with a habitual prevent defense.

Good hire Reggie. Not great. Not a head scratcher. Just good.

• xraided

LOL .. a below avg D … we will have a very average defense if we strike gold on a 15 sack a year DE that can also set the edge and stop the run very well… that’s my pipe dream, Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware 2.0 .. our DB’s will love the guy more than anyone

• DJ Johnny

Lemme guess…one yr. deal?

• Just Fire Baby

Congrats to SilverandBlackBleeder.

The ‘Ville was just too deep of a team for everybody.

• Gdog

DJ Johnny Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Or better?

>>>>

I think our run defense will be improved by leaps and bounds. Every front 7 player Reggie picked up so far had higher PFF ratings vs the run than pass.

We are still gonna get torched a lot via pass… especially unless Reggie pulls a great FS out of his ass… Manning and Rivers need to start having injury problems.

• RaiderLen

DJ Johnny Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:59 pm
    Lemme guess…one yr. deal?
    —————————–
    Raiders will have mega space in 2014.

1 year deals are not a bad way to test drive potential long term employees.

• realtruraider

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m
    It’s a one-year deal for Mike Jenkins & #Raiders. He’d debated a one-year prove it deal or multi-year. Decided to try his hand again in ’14

• Just Fire Baby

Not really a fan of the Mike Jenkins move.

I don’t like guys that fall WELL far below their talents.

Porter was a good move, because he maximizes his.

Mike Jenkins is a talent minimizer, and a dude who takes plays off and seems to not really give a hoot.

• Just Fire Baby

If you think Dee Milner is a player, you don’t pass on him because you signed Mike flippin’ Jenkins to a 1 year deal.

• RaiderLen

JFB

See 3866.

Test drive.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    —————————–
    Reggie will pass on Him because He doesn’t build teams outside in.

Simple.

• Just Fire Baby

I am happier we gave Jenkins a 1 year deal over a multi-year deal.

There has been nothing of his play the last couple of years that reeks “long-term contract”.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:06 pm
    I am happier we gave Jenkins a 1 year deal over a multi-year deal.

————————-
    If there were he wouldn’t be a FA.

• Just Fire Baby

Reggie will pass on Him because He doesn’t build teams outside in.

Simple.

****************************

So who is the pick?

If you tell me an O-lineman……we are done for the night, lol.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Former Raiders DT Kelly signs with New England – Bill is always trying to pick up the Raiders trash.

Has it ever worked out for him?

• Raider Right

can we get a new fckng post already? i need to spill my rightness.

• Chris in NY

I liked Jenkins a few years ago, alot. Honestly can’t say I’ve watched him closely of late to have any opinion on how well he’s played. I know injuries have been an issue and I’ve read some unkind things about his play from Cowboys fans on more than one occasion of late, but that could be injury-related.

I’m sure it’s probably a low-money, one-year, low-risk deal. Which I’m cool with. Low-risk with nice upside.

As much as I rail on Reggie and I think he’s getting way too much of a pass from the media and fans, I’ll give him credit when it’s due. I liked the Wheeler signing at the time last year. I liked the Burris and Bilukidi picks. Obviously the Streater pickup was great.

Of course, there’s a lot of things I haven’t liked, but he could still get it together and be OK. I’m curious to see how the draft plays out.

• xraided

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    Not really a fan of the Mike Jenkins move.

I don’t like guys that fall WELL far below their talents.

Porter was a good move, because he maximizes his.

_______________

hard to tell since he’s played through so many injuries. i tend to think he’s getting a 1 year deal and getting another shot at starting… if that doesn’t motivate him then he’s on his way out of the NFL… but i’ve never heard anyting like that before now, that “he doesn’t give a hoot” … i hope you’re wrong. we need help at CB desperately.

• RAIDERMAN99

rolando-mcclain-already-has-offers-from-three-teams

afc west teams. oohh boyy! not good. dude will be out for a vengence
    ==============================================
    Are you kidding me ?

This is great news.

In fact, it’s too good to be true.

Sloturdo McWhiff probably isn’t going to be signed by anyone. Even if he does, he won’t make it out of camp anyway.

Damn. It would be nice to abuse Slo.

• Chris in NY

Back-n-Black Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Has it ever worked out for him?

———————–

Moss.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:07 pm
    Reggie will pass on Him because He doesn’t build teams outside in.

Simple.

****************************

So who is the pick?

If you tell me an O-lineman……we are done for the night, lol.
    ————————————-
    I think He trades down and drafts a Lineman. Either side.

• Just Fire Baby

I live in Cowboys territroy, get their weekly TV show, all their preseason games and radio broadcasts.

I will be interested to see the reaction tomorrow to this, because Jenkins has been maybe not Public Enemy #1 amongst Cowboys fans, but he is probably around #3 or #4.

• Gdog

—————
    Agreed, with Reggie’s approach, 2014 should be the make or break year.

>>>

Reggie will need to find his “Inner Al” in 2014 or I will go completely insane.

You don’t save 70 million in cap space to be conservative.

• Just Fire Baby

************************

I think you may just end up owing me 4 blog “atta-boys” in regards to our bet.

Taiwan’s roster spot is not guaranteed at this stage, and if he is one of the last cuts, might be tough to latch on to a club in September.

• DJ Johnny

RaiderLen Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    —————————–
    Reggie will pass on Him because He doesn’t build teams outside in.

Simple.

From what I read he HAS to spend some money on FA’s next yr. He’ll have a ton.

• morilla

Qodrn1 Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    From Peter Hegarty:

Thief enters the @RAIDERS training facility via open door in #Alameda & steals 8-10 laptops, says @AlamedaPD #Oakland #Raiders #football

Bet this wasn’t an issue under the Al regime. Not to mention the fact I have no doubt Al would have found some very large people to help him get the stuff back.
    —————————————-

I doubt it. There is no way anyone could carry 8-10 over head projectors.

• Raider Right

bill billycheat ain’t gonna take no laziness or over eatin outta kelly. billycheat builds blue blooded blue collar (cuz they freeze their nuts off in chowder country) weinners, and u dont do that by lettin the mtherfckas coast. you yell and scream, do the peaches and cream, and send some poor sap packin with his bags way out in front of him. billycheat don’t fck around. he’s a down town guy with a uptown sweatshirt.

• Just Fire Baby

I think He trades down and drafts a Lineman. Either side.

******************************

Trade down is our first option, but everyone in the league prob knows this.

Prepare to be underwhelmed at the trade compensation the #3 pick nets.

• DJ Johnny

Chris In NY Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:09 pm
    Back-n-Black Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Has it ever worked out for him?

———————–

Moss.

Sterling Moore to a degree.

• RaiderLen

You don’t save 70 million in cap space to be conservative.
    ——————————-
    You resign the keepers, and find some other via FA.

Remember also, depth is a part of the equation.

Depth isn’t just vet minimum, rookie guys.

Cap allows you to keep veterans that while not stars, are solid contributors, and when called upon because of injury, the fall off in performance isn’t as great.

• Chris in NY

Gdog Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:12 pm
    —————
    Agreed, with Reggie’s approach, 2014 should be the make or break year.

>>>

Reggie will need to find his “Inner Al” in 2014 or I will go completely insane.

You don’t save 70 million in cap space to be conservative.

———————

The thing is, with $70 mil in cap space he easily could’ve resigned Desmond Bryant this year and structured the deal in such a way that kicked some of that cap hit into 2014.

So if Bryant goes and tears it up in Cleveland, like I think he will, I don’t want to hear anyone excuse McKenzie because of the cap. Cap had nothing to do with it.

• Raider Right

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

====================================
    that makes a lot of sense for reggie to get rid of a public enemy #1 and pick up a #3. reggies scouts at it again, not doin their homework, just like gettin flynn with sore elboe and attitude, lazy work ethic. what does reggie pay these guys, cheeseburgers on a good day? what the hell man, grow a pair reggie and get guys that want to ball.

• Just Fire Baby

Cap had nothing to do with it.

*****************************

I agree, Bryant chose to go to Cleveland.

Reports from Peter King this week was that we basically offered him the same money, he decided to go back east.

• Gdog

Back-n-Black Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Has it ever worked out for him?

>>>

Not really. But this is the THIRD former Al pick that has substantially upgraded their team. Huff, Asum, and now Kelly.

I suspect he will do well next to Wilfork.

Almost a lock one of them will end up with a ring.

• Chris in NY

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

——————–

I’ve been catching the same vibe from ‘Boys fans, but it’s probably a low-risk deal and there’s the upside hope he bounces back and plays well on a one-year deal.

• Raider Right

trade down, grade down, slim down. scout down. the new and downproved raiders.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:15 pm
    I think He trades down and drafts a Lineman. Either side.

******************************

Trade down is our first option, but everyone in the league prob knows this.

Prepare to be underwhelmed at the trade compensation the #3 pick net
    ———————————–
    Because “everyone knows it” doesn’t mean a team with a fixation won’t trade up to land their guy.

Supply and demand.

31 other teams have needs.

Some deem the need greater than the consensus.

• Just Fire Baby

Substantially upgraded huh?

We will see about that. It says here none of the 3 are starters, and only 2 of the 3 will even make their teams.

• Just Fire Baby

Supply and demand.

31 other teams have needs.

Some deem the need greater than the consensus.

*********************************

Doesn’t sound like you are preparing yourself very well for the underwhelming.

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Cap had nothing to do with it.

*****************************

I agree, Bryant chose to go to Cleveland.

>>>

Al would have simply offered him an extra mil and slept like a baby.

Reggie needs to figure out that when you aren’t a playoff team sometimes you HAVE to overspend.

If he losses our good young players NEXT season I dunno… nothing surprises me anymore. I guess I will have to get used to being the new Detroit.

• RaiderLen

Doesn’t sound like you are preparing yourself very well for the underwhelming.
    ———————————
    Not at all.

You have.

I’m open minded about it.