Q&A with DE Carter

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 at 7:55 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders re-signed veteran defensive end Andre Carter on Tuesday. A short time later, he spoke with the Bay Area media on a conference call. Here is the transcript:

Q: What does it mean to you to continue your career with the Raiders in the Bay Area?

Carter: It means so much. As you know, I started my football career at Oak Grove High School in San Jose, went to Cal, went to the 49ers. Of course, I played with other teams, but it all comes full circle. It started in the Bay and it’s a great opportunity to be back in the Bay and be back with an organization that’s trying to turn things around and be an elite team again. So I’m very grateful.

Q: How many years would you say you’d still like to play?

Carter: Everybody always asks me that. One of the old vets finally told me, if you can go for 10, go for five more, but I just take it one year at a time. Everything is always based upon the individual, just how you feel. Can you wake up and do it again week after week? That’s just something that I’ve been taught consistently since day one. I just take it one year at a time and 2013 will be year 13 for me. I’m just taking it all in stride.

Q: What was your feeling about how the Raiders defense finished the season last year and your role in that?

Carter: In general, we definitely had a little bit of struggles in the beginning, but towards the end, we came along strong. I just think we were communicating real well. We were making plays. We weren’t giving up as much yardage as we did in the beginning. Like any scheme, it takes some time. And when you’re dealing with a lot of younger guys that are just kind of maybe unsure of themselves or just unsure of the scheme, we just continued to talk and communicate and towards the end you could see it was very productive. That was just something that was a stepping stone as far as our development and we just continued this from then on. As far as for myself, I appreciate the Raiders organization for bringing me in, especially coming off a major injury. And then personally for myself, I just started coming back to my own, to how I basically played through 2011, before I got hurt. For them to see that and bring me back, they believed in me and believed I still had a lot left in the tank, not only from a player standpoint, but from a leader standpoint. Taking that leadership into the locker room, teaching the younger guys how it’s done, what it takes to be a professional, not just from a football standpoint, but just life in general because this game is never promised. One play could be your last. I’ve been very fortunate to play for a long period of time. I pray that the young guys that I take under my wing that they have a long career as well.

Q: Since the season ended and free agency started, was it your feeling that the Raiders were going to bring you back?

Carter: I was optimistic. I knew there was going to be a lot of changes after last season, but I was optimistic just talking to Coach DA [Dennis Allen], [Defensive Coordinator Jason] Tarver, and later on, talking to Reggie McKenzie. I think we were on the same page that I was going to come back and I wanted to come back. The Bay Area means a lot to me. It’s just a special area. Like I said, I wanted to see this organization win because they haven’t won in over a decade, which is a shame because you have a lot of talent. It just takes the right guys to turn this thing around.

• DMAC

Got cha

• The_Judge37

Forget what game or who was outrunning everyone down the left sideline and Branch came frome the far side and ran him down inside the 10, like 50 yds or so. They settled for a FG. They probably won the game anyway, but it was impressive.
    ———-

Ran down The only Black Bronco’s WR, i forget his name, and Houston was there to recover. Two players with hustle.

• raiderinparadise

Sanders the PR man from South Carolina is off the charts. Unreal ability.

Next I would say Mike Edwards, from Univeristy of Hawaii, not trying to be a homer, but watched him play he a damn good corner too, 3-4th round guy. Also a great KO and PR returner.

• inonewordraider

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:30 am
    HOLY CRAP!!!!! have you seen this? You have never seen no.2 like this.

Is he actually ENJOYING the grind?

Wow if this guy can keep this mentality not only will he end up on a roster, but if he gets on the field he will be hard to take off.

I can think of 6-7 teams right now that could use him as a back up.

____________
    don’t kno why some want this guy to succeed in football so badly. what’s wrong with him succeeding in a 9 to 5 like the most of us? is that not good enough for him?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

l8r

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

With Tyson Jackson disappointing and Glen Dorsey gone. KC might take Star @ #1.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

inonewordraider Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:30 am
    HOLY CRAP!!!!! have you seen this? You have never seen no.2 like this.

Is he actually ENJOYING the grind?

I can think of 6-7 teams right now that could use him as a back up.

____________
    =======================

strange question.

The bidwell family has been awful never wining it all, and failing to come close most of the time.

Does anybody ask

“what’s wrong with him succeeding in a 9 to 5 like the most of us? is that not good enough for him?”

Failing at soemthing isnt a reason to give up, if it what you want to do.

he failed and he wants to succeed. I dont see a problem with that.

should mark davis and denniss allen take a “9-5″ after last years failure?

what about carson palmer?

you sound like a hater, that cant stand the next mans ambition, or appreciate his works.

• spiff

branch always had to run half the field because giordano didn’t know how to cover. hopefuly our coaches can put our safties in the right postion to make plays. no excuse for gio ,he was just garbage.

so he’s the black webster?

***

@G123

no – he’s Tony Cox (google it!)

• inonewordraider

strange question.

Does anybody ask

Failing at soemthing isnt a reason to give up, if it what you want to do.

he failed and he wants to succeed. I dont see a problem with that.

should mark davis and denniss allen take a “9-5″ after last years failure?

what about carson palmer?

________________
    i have no problem with him attempting to come back and do what he truly loves if that’s the case

but if he fails which he most likely will being out of football so long and still overweight, so what? you gna feel bad for him?

there’s plenty of people struggling to make ends meet and he doesn’t or shouldn’t have that problem so no way do i feel any sympathy towards him and neither should anyone else

he can join the workforce like the rest of us

• inonewordraider

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 11:26 am
    so he’s the black webster?

***

@G123

no – he’s Tony Cox (google it!)
    ________
    ahh dude from bad santa!

ahh dude from bad santa!

***

@ inonewordraider

yes – Jacoby Ford

• bcz24

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:17 am
    inonewordraider Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:14 am

How did I know that would be the response?

Bcz lets not be simple minded.

What is the sport page? reporting and propaganda.

The only reason for interviewing any raider is to generate excitement for that player and the team. This paper is interviewing guys that will not be very good or make much of an impact. yet they are getting the same air time that you would give to a major front line star in our paper.
    _______-
    they did a q & a with alex barron, don’t think anyone did a backflip when we signed him

=====================

your making my point
    ***************
    Not trying to pick a fight, but don’t you think it’s at least possible that this article has NOTHING to do with a propaganda laced agenda, and everything to do with it just being content to post?

• guest123

@ Rockstar,

that’s not right man. didn’t realize you were talking about the freak midjet from bad santa. dude’s nasty.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

3. AZ- Fisher
    4. PHI- Geno
    5. DET- Ansah
    6. CLE- Milliner
    7. OAK- Johnson
    ————————
    I think it is very possible Philly or Det take Johnson. Also Jax could take Fisher and thus make our trade down spot for the right to Lane Johnson.

^^^^^^^^^
    I think Lane is going to be a Pro Bowl type RT and I think he maybe a servicable LT.

If Raiders trade down to 7, I would rather see them take Star, Werner or Warmack.

• SnBG

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:48 am
    Dennis allen is under a microscope in my book.

He only produced four wins and made some horrific gaffs along the way.

Hiring knapp (although reggie is just as guilty here)and failing to adjust the offense for his players were two bad choices.

His defense was shaky to pathetic, and only looked decent in the final quarter of the season. Strike 3.

nearly losing control of the team, while guys lolly gagged and got arrested, resulting in on filed practice disrupting meltdowns.

Of course the biggest and most mind blowing blunder, failing to activate and start Terrell pryor, or even bother to take a look at him at all. Who could forget the barnum and baily acrobatic flip flop of the century? “we just dont thing terrelle is ready to be a back up”, to the very next week ‘I was really impressed with his command and leadership”.

Now allen has no excuses. Gone is the big money qb standing in the way of giving pryor a solid look.

Gone are the malcontents and over paid guys that pre date allen. He is getting his team. Even guys like porter and young that have played for allen here to help install allens vision.

He will need to win and it hinges on 2 things in my mind.

How does the defense perform? When does pryor play.

This upcoming draft will give him even more pieces for his project. he needs to get it right, or he will be unemployed.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I don’t think Pryor will start as much as I like him. It’s more about who’s around ether QB that concerns me. Got to get that O line fixed or you could bring Unitas back from the dead and it still wouldn’t help. The power scheme will help them.
    This team would have been 4-12, maybe 5-11 at best no matter what. The west sucked in 2011 so their 8-8 was an illusion.
    You can’t judge Reg or Allen under the circumstances to quickly. They need at least 3-4 yrs to be properly judged. What are you going to do, fire them and bring a whole new set of people in to start over. Doesn’t make sense.

• dr_robert

Missdick the double talking jack azz.

He says DA has only produced four wins.

Knapp was awful.

Defense was horrific.

Malcontents and underperformers.

But it was PALMER’s fault!

I’m glad u brought up Barnum and bailey regarding Pryor.

Cuz ur like the loud talking hyperbole belching carnival barker proclaiming

“Come right in come right in! See the most fantastic space creature u could imagine! The very sight of him will blow your mind!!!”

Then u pay five bucks to see a “bearded lady”.

Idiot.

• Football Coach

If the Raiders do decide to go pass rusher at 3 (their biggest need and one of the most critical positions in the game), there are two candidates who are potential in that pick: Dion Jordan of Oregon and Ezekial “Ziggy” Ansah of BYU. Jarvis Jones was the most productive edge rusher in the college game in 2012, but his physical make up is far below any successful edge rusher in the NFL currently. And while production is important, past history shows many productive college players who did squat in the NFL. Barkevious Mingo is similar to Jordan and Ansah in certain aspects, but has worse hips, is not as physical as Ansah, and not as versatile as Jordan. Let’s look at some comparisons for Ansah and Jordan (all numbers are combine numbers, so setting is equal):

- They both have prototype edge player height (Jordan 6-6+ and Ansah 6-5+)
    - Ansah is the larger man overall, weighing in at 271, which is ideal DE weight. Jordan would have to be more of a tweener (which he was at Oregon) at 248. His frame can hold more weight, but does he have the weight room ethic to put it on? And would he lose speed with more weight? I think Jordan has to be a hybrid OLB/situational DE.
    - Ansah, despite being an inch shorter, has more than an inch longer arms. 35.13 compared to 33.88. Ansah’s arms are very long even compared to elite NFL edge players. Jordan’s are comparable to most top edge players.
    - They both have plus sized hands, Ansah at 10.25, Jordan at 10 even.
    - In terms of speed, it is essentially a wash. Jordan ran the slightly faster 40 (4.60 to Ansah’s 4.63), but Ansah won slightly in the more critical 10 yard split (1.56 to Jordan’s 1.57). Both of these measures are elite for NFL edge players for both men.
    - Bounce/explosion is also a wash. Jordan had the longer broad jump (122 inches to 118) but Ziggy had the higher vertical (34.5 to 32.5). Both measures are solid by elite edge player standards, although Jordan’s vert and Ansah’s broad jump leave a little to be desired.
    - In terms of agility, both players tested well within the range of elite edge players and again topped each other in different categories. Jordan won the 3-cone drill (L shape) 7.02 to 7.11, while Ansah won the 20-yard shuttle 4.26 to 4.35.

In terms of physical traits, both can be called elite as an athlete at amazing size. Ansah’s scores are a bit more impressive given he is achieving them while carrying 23 more pounds than Jordan.

In terms of strength, although the bench test is an imperfect measure, it is all we have. Jordan did not test due to a torn labrum, which he had surgery on after the combine. Ansah lifted a solid but not spectacular 21 reps. Given the size differential, it would be a surprise if Jordan ever came near 21 reps.

In terms of production, here was their 2012 stat line:
    Jordan: 44 tackles, 10.5 TFLs, 5.0 sacks, 1 pass defended, 3 forced fumbles. Solid stats, not eye popping, but definitely productive playing in the competitive Pac-12.

Ansah: 62 tackles, 13.0 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, 9 passes defended, 1 forced fumble. Definite dump in production in terms of numbers vs. Jordan, but it is basically a wash because BYU played lesser competition as an Independent.

Other aspects: both have western U.S. backgrounds, which can be good for the Raiders as regional drafting has been successful in the NFL. Jordan grew up in SF (local enough) and went to high school in Arizona, before playing for the Ducks, which is somewhat local as there is no NFL team in Oregon. Ziggy played at BYU in Utah after coming to the U.S. from Ghana on an academic scholarship. He did not begin playing organized football until 2010.

I have not seen any character concerns for either young man. Jordan has not been in trouble, despite a challenging upbringing, and Ansah has come from a relative 3rd world country, and is now a converted Mormon. Raiders 2012 3rd round pick Tony Bergstrom (the first pick of the McKenzie era) is also a Mormon. Oakland and the surrounding area has a sizable Mormon population and Oakland is home to one of the largest Mormon temples in the U.S.

Weaknesses for Jordan include: questions of strength; lack of sack productivity and use of him in pass coverage, if he is to be an elite NFL pass rusher, this is a red flag; shoulder injury; ability to be a down player in the NFL, would need to bulk up.

Weaknesses for Ansah include: lack of polish, has only played 3 years of organized football; some question toughness; not coming from typical NFL background may be an issue to deep rooted love for the game.

Summary: overall, these are two elite edge-style athletes, with the physical make up to be productive NFL edge rushers. Ansah wins in the size and motor department, Jordan wins in the fluidity and level of college competition department. Both will need to work to maximize their talents, Jordan must get stronger and work on moves, Ansah must really hone his pass rush repertoire and prove he is a four quarter NFL player. Both players have high ceilings with the chance to not reach that ceiling if they do not put in the work. For the Raiders, I would place Ansah slightly higher than Jordan, although both should be in the conversation with the elite OTs as a potential pick at pick 3 if there is no trade down.

• NGRaiderfan

Wo

• kuhlest

#770- nice breakdown…I too would go for Ansah over Jordan.

• Scourge