Q&A with DE Carter

The Raiders re-signed veteran defensive end Andre Carter on Tuesday. A short time later, he spoke with the Bay Area media on a conference call. Here is the transcript:

Q: What does it mean to you to continue your career with the Raiders in the Bay Area?

Carter: It means so much. As you know, I started my football career at Oak Grove High School in San Jose, went to Cal, went to the 49ers. Of course, I played with other teams, but it all comes full circle. It started in the Bay and it’s a great opportunity to be back in the Bay and be back with an organization that’s trying to turn things around and be an elite team again. So I’m very grateful.

Q: How many years would you say you’d still like to play?

Carter: Everybody always asks me that. One of the old vets finally told me, if you can go for 10, go for five more, but I just take it one year at a time. Everything is always based upon the individual, just how you feel. Can you wake up and do it again week after week? That’s just something that I’ve been taught consistently since day one. I just take it one year at a time and 2013 will be year 13 for me. I’m just taking it all in stride.

Q: What was your feeling about how the Raiders defense finished the season last year and your role in that?

Carter: In general, we definitely had a little bit of struggles in the beginning, but towards the end, we came along strong. I just think we were communicating real well. We were making plays. We weren’t giving up as much yardage as we did in the beginning. Like any scheme, it takes some time. And when you’re dealing with a lot of younger guys that are just kind of maybe unsure of themselves or just unsure of the scheme, we just continued to talk and communicate and towards the end you could see it was very productive. That was just something that was a stepping stone as far as our development and we just continued this from then on. As far as for myself, I appreciate the Raiders organization for bringing me in, especially coming off a major injury. And then personally for myself, I just started coming back to my own, to how I basically played through 2011, before I got hurt. For them to see that and bring me back, they believed in me and believed I still had a lot left in the tank, not only from a player standpoint, but from a leader standpoint. Taking that leadership into the locker room, teaching the younger guys how it’s done, what it takes to be a professional, not just from a football standpoint, but just life in general because this game is never promised. One play could be your last. I’ve been very fortunate to play for a long period of time. I pray that the young guys that I take under my wing that they have a long career as well.

Q: Since the season ended and free agency started, was it your feeling that the Raiders were going to bring you back?

Carter: I was optimistic. I knew there was going to be a lot of changes after last season, but I was optimistic just talking to Coach DA [Dennis Allen], [Defensive Coordinator Jason] Tarver, and later on, talking to Reggie McKenzie. I think we were on the same page that I was going to come back and I wanted to come back. The Bay Area means a lot to me. It’s just a special area. Like I said, I wanted to see this organization win because they haven’t won in over a decade, which is a shame because you have a lot of talent. It just takes the right guys to turn this thing around.

Steve Corkran

Inonewordraider Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:50 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:47 am
    Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:45 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:42 am
    Criner and Streater should be the starters…Moore the Z-receiver….Ford i just dont know…if he stays he is the 4th and just a big play guy but never a starter
    ——-

Moore is better than those two. But in a dink n dunk offense that might work.
    *********************8

Moore a big play guy with no sure hands and doesnt run great routes
    —–

He’s got the best hands on the team. Criner and Streater struggle to seperate from DB’s.
    _______________
    i’m going on a limb and saying criner will be our breakout player on O this year
    ****************************************

He is a prototypical possession WR…streater isnt nor is moore and we know ford aint

• J Hill

Bengals RB. Very similar to Goodson.

————————————————————

Thanks.

Still drawing a blank, but I LOVED what Goodson brought to the team.

• bcz24

but he’s been at his best playing close to the LOS why not play to his strengths?
    **********
    I just think taking him out of coverage and just letting him use his speed and recovery to get to the ball would benefit him. Just 1 man’s opinion.

• SnBG

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:48 am
    Guest123 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:45 am
    After watching Star’s cut-ups, I’m convinced he could play 0, 1, 3 or 5.

^^^^^^^^

Star is the player
    ********************************

Would be dope…we aint had a bad ass the DL interior in a long time….I think the last one that we draft was Darrell Russell and then he started trippin
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Star is the man but my gut says the Raiders will take Floyd.

• The_Judge37

——-

“Prototypical Possession WR” is just an nice word for SLOW. Like in Basketball, anyone who can’t create their own shot is a “3 point specialist” even though they shoot 28% from behind the arc

• The_Judge37

Like how they used to say Bush is a power back just because he’s big. He did so much tap dancing at the LOS though and never really ran with power.

SnBG Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:53 am
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:48 am
    Guest123 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:45 am
    After watching Star’s cut-ups, I’m convinced he could play 0, 1, 3 or 5.

^^^^^^^^

Star is the player
    ********************************

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Star is the man but my gut says the Raiders will take Floyd.
    ****************************

Because what all the mock drafts said huh?

Come on man! Raiders will not take that guy at all…he doesnt love football…I want guys obsessed with football and he aint it…you want Dorsey or Ellis on the line for years? See how that works out

• guest123

That Bengals RB Scott. Just from memory I think he was breaking rushing records in college. A pile of stats. Had great speed coming out of college. Was supposed to push Cedric Benson and that never happened and when Law Firm took over in Cincy, the writing was on the wall. Plus he’s another injury waiting to happen. I’d much rather we draft an RB. Maybe we could get Lattimore in the 4th round?

• SnBG

Why is it that most experts say Floyd to the Raiders and don’t even mention Star’s name. Just saying

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:54 am
    ——-

*****************************************

o one said he was a burner….Him being poss WR had nada to do with his speed…how fast was Hines Ward?

He has big body, excellent hands and can run routes…plus he gonna move chains and be a redzone target

anyhow…i gotta roll….yall stay solid

• dr_robert

I’ve been wanting tyvon at FS forever.

Moore doesn’t have hands? The guy who amazed everyone as a rookie?

Belichik, one of the best coaches of all time, thinks kelly is one if the best in the league. People think Seymour is a HOFer.

But b@uce says we haven’t had a good DL in years.

Belichik>>>>>>>>>b@uce.

Refusing to answer to ur ridiculous statements and hiding behind ur moronic “Dr Robert is MR” routine?

Thought so. Coward. Keep laughing hyena. Everyone sees u afraid.

• The_Judge37

SnBG Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:56 am
    ——-

Maybe they don’t think Star will be there at 3

• guest123

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:58 am
    anyhow…i gotta roll….yall stay solid

^^^^^^^^

you too B@

• The_Judge37

——

Aside from the big body, i didn’t see any of that from Criner.

• inonewordraider

SnBG Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:56 am
    _________
    i think because they see kelly and seymour are gone and in a 4-3 he’s more of a prototypical 3 tech which those guys were.

but star is much better than floyd, in my opinion, and if reggie goes dt i’m hoping he feels the same way

• SnBG

Star is the man but my gut says the Raiders will take Floyd.
    ****************************

Because what all the mock drafts said huh?

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Yes I admit I watch the mocks and that does influence me and it seems very odd that no one is saying Star to the Raiders. Not every expert is right but no every expert is wrong. But is is strange. You tell me why

• LA to TheBay

598.The_Judge37 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:50 am
    Have we ever seen Huff’s speed? He was good at covering Slow TE’s man to man, that’s about it. Branch looks way faster.

———-

Huff sucks.

Period.

Name more than 5 plays he made in 8 years.

I’ll wait.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

ok I smell B.S.

Why try and selll us on andre carter? This signing means next to nothing aside from depth. If anyone is expecting any more than 3-4 sacks for the year from carter you need to pump the breaks. Better yet slam the brakes.

Carter is a battle beaten heap, and shell of what he once was. Even at carters peak he was never elite. He has been very good in the past, but its the distant past.

We know the defense is thin and lacks pass rush, but the trib setting this fairy tale, as if this is a major boost for the pass rush is insulting.

More hype from the very people that brought you side splitting laughers like “carson validating the trade.”

Just the facts maam

thanks

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

I think the mock drafts are more to predict who will go at #3 than if the Raiders actually pick there.

Example if the Raiders trade down and someone like Miami trades with us and picks FLOYD then the experts can say they were right Floyd went at #3.

I was using Miami as an example but they would pick a LT if they traded just trying to show a hypothetical.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Star is the man but my gut says the Raiders will take Floyd.
    ——————————
    Because most of the Mocks have us taking Floyd?

• LA to TheBay

1. Rivers strip sack.
    2. “11th Man”
    3. INT vs. KC in 2010(?) finale.

Anything else?

• dr_robert

News flash: Floyd has risen to the top of boards for a reason. Scouts love him. They know more than us.

I don’t think we draft a DT anyway. Star and Floyd could both be good but I think Reggie trades down and gets ansah.

If he stays at #3, I think it’s one of the elite OT’s.

• guest123

I’ve seen several mocks with Star to the Raiders at #3. Honestly haven’t checked any mocks in the last 3 weeks, but Star is a possibility. Pretty sure Reggie Mac’s made up his mind on him one way or the other, but he’s holding his cards tight to the vest.

• The_Judge37

LA to TheBay Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    598.The_Judge37 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:50 am

———-

Huff sucks.

Period.

Name more than 5 plays he made in 8 years.

I’ll wait.
    ————

Aside from his Saftey in his Rookie year, and the “Al Davis INT”, i can’t think of anymore.

• LA to TheBay

We lost Seymour and Bryant (then cut Kelly), so mock drafts have us taking the ‘best’ DT. I’d say it’s about that simple.

• bcz24

Why try and selll us on andre carter
    *******************
    Where did you see the sales pitch? They have done a Q and A session with a bunch of our free agent signings.

• SnBG

What is really wrong with Star that no mocks that I’ve seen pick him to got to the Raiders? If I was the GM, I’d want that answered

• The_Judge37

LA to TheBay Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:03 am
    1. Rivers strip sack.
    ——

I forgot about that one. John Marshall knew the best way to keep him and Branch from getting burned in covereage was to send them on the Blitz

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

ill say this about big mack though.

I think he has absolute shown that he is a prudent businessman.

i believe that he has upgraded the defense. I realize the players that he upgraded were not very good to begin with, but you have to start some where.

In particular the dbs and lbs, have benefited from this overhaul.

These are brought in as stop gaps for low cost, but you may find a player like roach or jenkins, that in thier young careers have performed at high levels at times. What if those young players are only getting better? It would be a major bonus.

if not no biggie you didnt break the bank or mortgage the future getting them. They can fill an immediate need, and mackenzie can draft at d line.

I like the method

• guest123

Star or Floyd ??

Warmack, Joeckel or Fisher ??

It’s all spitballing at this point. Likely we won’t have a shot at any of them, we’ll be moving down the board.

I don’t know if vegas has any odds on a Raider trade down, but I think it would come in at 2/1 odds. We are probably debating players who won’t be in Oakland anyway.

• The_Judge37

SnBG Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:06 am
    ——

Maybe they don’t believe Reggie is competent enough to make such a sound decision?

• DMAC

I rather address the RT spot, before the TE position. At least Gordon can block…. kind of, sord of

NOOOOOOO!
    2 false start Barnes starting

• inonewordraider

______
    i think it’s strange that we weren’t at his pro day and haven’t had him in for a private workout when we did so for plenty of the top guys

could be a smokescreen but wouldn’t that make it obvious who we’re selecting (the guy who’s pro day we didn’t attend?) and stange to invest so much in a player and not have him in for a private workout

• J Hill

————————————————————-

Exactly why I named him Twinkle Toes!

• dr_robert

4 reasons why mocks have us taking Floyd and not star:

1) he’s rated higher
    2) we lost our top 3 DT’s
    3) Reggie went to his pro day
    4) raiders did not go to star’s pro day

Most mockers don’t follow every team all that close. It’s kinda lazy for them to automatically think Floyd but understandable.

• DMAC

Huffy was pretty bad man

And this is coming from someone who wore his authentic jersey all season long

• DJ Johnny

That Huff int. in “Al game” was Branch rushing up to meet Schaub and forcing him to throw it imo. If he doesn’t do that Schaub walks in.

@Bcz

Ty Branch sucks in coverage at SS.

Does him playing FS put him out in coverage more or less?

speed doesn’t matter. He’s getting abused by RB’s, FB’s & TE’s right now. WR’s ?? puhleese.

I’m not convinced he could cover Khalif Barnes

• dr_robert

Reggie is the type to remove star from his board due to the health issues.

• bcz24

SnBG Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:06 am
    ************
    A few of the earlier mocks at Walterfootball dot com had us taking Star.

If I was the GM I wouldn’t give a flying frogs fat as$ what the mock drafts said, nor would I even have time to ever look at such a thing.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

bcz24 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:05 am

Why try and selll us on andre carter
    *******************
    ======================

How did I know that would be the response?

Bcz lets not be simple minded.

What is the sport page? reporting and propaganda.

The only reason for interviewing any raider is to generate excitement for that player and the team. This paper is interviewing guys that will not be very good or make much of an impact. yet they are getting the same air time that you would give to a major front line star in our paper.

• SnBG

Dr_robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    4 reasons why mocks have us taking Floyd and not star:

1) he’s rated higher
    2) we lost our top 3 DT’s
    3) Reggie went to his pro day
    4) raiders did not go to star’s pro day

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Your probably right but you know, most of the comparables I’ve seen for Star and Floyd say Star edges Floyd out, You would think that these experts would at least open the computer and read at least one of those reports?????

• R8ER MIKE

DMAC Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:08 am

NOOOOOOO!
    2 false start Barnes starting

********************************
    ??? Willie Smith ???

• The_Judge37

DMAC Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    ———

Maybe Barnes and Gordon should swap positions

• inonewordraider

How did I know that would be the response?

Bcz lets not be simple minded.

What is the sport page? reporting and propaganda.

_______-
    they did a q & a with alex barron, don’t think anyone did a backflip when we signed him

• bcz24

Ty Branch sucks in coverage at SS.

Does him playing FS put him out in coverage more or less?
    ********************
    Less. The ‘by the book’ requirements of a FS is about 80% free to roam the field, and make sure no one gets behind the defense.

• guest123

Reggie’s holding his cards tight.

I bet you he’s got a decent standing offer right now and he’s holding it as his fallback waiting for better offers.

Reggie: “I’ll get back to you. Call me again when we’re on the clock.”

If no better offer comes in, the pick will be sold for the offer on the table. Look at what Reggie did to get rid of Carson, basically giving him away. He will trade out of the pick for what he can get. All the pro day visits to the top mock draft picks is a smokescreen. Reggie has no intentions of turning in the card for the #3 pick.

• DMAC

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:14 am

DMAC Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    ———

Maybe Barnes and Gordon should swap positions
    =====

Just send Gordon off to kick w/ Jasizzurp for the weekend
    He’ll come back to camp 300LBS +

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

inonewordraider Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 10:14 am

How did I know that would be the response?

Bcz lets not be simple minded.

What is the sport page? reporting and propaganda.

_______-