Raiders sign free safety Young

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 at 1:18 pm in Oakland Raiders.

UPDATE: The Raiders have confirmed the signing of defensive end Andre Carter.

The Raiders finally got around to signing a safety Tuesday, announcing the signing of Usama Young about five hours after closing a deal with cornerback Mike Jenkins.

Young, who started 11 games for the Cleveland Browns last season and had three interceptions, becomes the prime candidate to start at free safety alongside strong safety Tyvon Branch. The Raiders are listing Young as a strong safety on their web site roster.

A veteran of six seasons and 25 starts, Young played for the New Orleans Saints for four seasons, where his defensive backs coach was Raiders coach Dennis Allen.

• RaiderLen

Cervantes Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:27 pm
    Anyone interested in Warmack at 3?
    ————————————–
    I like Warmack. If Reggie took Him at #3 he’d get roasted by some in here.

Reggie should be able to move back and get him If he wants him.

Having said all that, If Warmack plays for 10 years and plays at a Pro Bowl level, nobody will remember where he was drafted.

• Kirk

Fisher at 3.

• Demon Raider

I like Jesse Williams as a NT

• Just Fire Baby

Freeney might sign for 3 million in Denver, but he sure in the hell ain’t taking that to come here.

• Cervantes

The problem with trading back Demon is that someone has to want to move up.

In this draft that just may not happen. There is not Herschel Walker trade out there.

Trading with Miami makes the most sense if we can get even a 1 and 2 or a 1, 3, & 4. Anything less and it just doesn’t make sense…

Particularly when we didn’t have a 1,2,3 last year thanks to Hue. Or a 1 the year before thanks to Al.

• RaiderLen

Kirk Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    Fisher at 3.
    ——————————–
    I’d do that.

• Demon Raider

I’d consider trading down to 8 and draft OT Lane Johnson. Piss off SD. Lol

• Raiders for life

Demon Raider

I saw you mentioned Phillip Thomas in the 3rd round. Is he slated that High? If so, good for him.

• rediaR

I wouldn’t mind Warmack, but we could certainly trade back to get him.

• Kirk

RaiderLen Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:32 pm
    Kirk Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    Fisher at 3.
    ——————————–
    I’d do that.
    ………………………………………….

Offensive tackle is the second most important position on the football field.

• Demon Raider

Buffalo could trade up for Geno or AZ for Fisher/Joeckel. Miami to move up to 7/8 to get Lane Johnson ahead of the Titans and SD.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Chris in NY Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    Extend Reggie NOW!

———————————–

Which at or near vet minimum deal has you so excited that you’d like to extend the contract of a 4-12 GM with four years left on his current deal?

Not even trying to bash the latest round of bargain-binners, just a little perspective would be nice folks. OK?
    ……

In my opinion the players who have been cut were bargain-binners. Not only low on talent but football IQ and attitude as well.

Outside of Palmer there were no “Big Name” guys here. Maybe they were to us Raider fans, but not to the rest of the country.

At least these new guys are cheaper and will open the door for a better future.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    —————————————
    Freeney is gonna follow the money regardless.

I mean Has Denver made an offer of less than 3 Million?

Or does he believe that He can have it both ways.

You know, get paid, more than 3 million, and play for a winner.

• Cervantes

Got no problem with trading back at all…I just don’t think that there’s that many teams interested in doing it.

Not a lot of ‘locks’ at the top of the draft.

• Chris in NY

Biggest holes to me now are:
    1. Pass rushing end/OLB
    2. Tight end
    3. Guards
    4. Right tackle

I’m really high onTravis Kelce at the top of Rd 3, and I think we have to go pass rusher in 1, but I could live with trading down into mid-1 and grabbing Tyler Eifert, who I think is about as close to a slam dunk as you’re going to find in this draft. Especially if you could follow that up in the 2nd with Margus Hunt, or trade back up and get Okafor.

• Demon Raider

I’ve seen Phillip Thomas projected as high as 2nd round.

• Just Fire Baby

Miami just took a LT #1 overall, and didn’t get much out of it.

I would be shocked if they gave up more picks to trade up and get a LT.

You would be talking about in the span of 5 years, a team spending two 1sts (including #1 overall) and whatever they would have to give us to trade up, on the LT spot.

That would be horrendously stupid.

• Cervantes

Let’s say Reggie thinks Warmack is the next Larry Allen…heck let’s say he is…would you take him at 3?

• severeraiderz

I like warmack but the thing about the draft is maximizing value. Warmack at 3 is not maximizing value.

• Demon Raider

AZ, Buffalo and Miami are the three teams most likely to trade up in the first half of the draft, IMO.

• rediaR

I don’t see TE as that big of a hole. I’d rather use a third rounder on defense, RB, O-Line or even a WR. Aus, Gordon and a later round pick seems more than fine to me.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    Miami just took a LT #1 overall, and didn’t get much out of it.

I would be shocked if they gave up more picks to trade up and get a LT.

That would be horrendously stupid.
    ————————————-
    Gotta look at it from a “protecting our investment” stanpoint.

Tannenhill won’t be completing as many passes to that Big dollar FA Wallace if he’s on His ass.

• irjonny

if we trade back say 3 times and end up with 49ers 31st pick and perhaps 4-5 picks in rnds 2 and 3 we could make a lot of great picks….and on the cheap

• RaiderLen

Cervantes Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    ————————————–
    Everyone would take the next Larry Allen at 3.

• RaidingTexas

Back-N-Black Says:

———————————————

Can’t tell you how many times someone responded to me with “DH what” in football conversation. Not a single receiver on this team had name recognition outside of Raider Nation. Fkn sad, but that’s what has happened over the last five years or so.

• rediaR

I think the idea of a team trading up to #3 for Geno has sailed. Buffalo may pick him, but I think they are comfortable waiting until 8, whether he falls to them or not.

• Chris in NY

Gordon is a decent special teamer, but nowhere near a serviceable starting TE. Ausberry could be, but is still a major roll of the dice.

• Chris in NY

I think if someone trades up to 3, it’s to get Fisher, Ansah or Jordan.

• 24

Chris In NY

I believe we need a RDE as Andre Carter is a situational type of player but why don’t you feel confident at the linebacker position? I thought Burris did really well last year. Roach was a good leader and solid player in the middle for Chicago and Burnett is a tackle machine.

We really do need a TE though. I just don’t see Gordon or Ausberry cutting it but I guess I didn’t see Myers doing what he did either. Flynn is a dink and dunk type of guy and will need that TE for a safety net.

I don’t know how good Bergstrom will be but Brisiel was a huge disappointment last year and I feel like he’s carrying the Cooper Carlisle disease with him. We need a stronger RG to help McFadden get through the holes.

Barnes is not the best QB protector but he can throw down when running.

• rediaR

Irjonny Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    ———————-
    The only way I would trade down that far is if I get another 1st next year. I’d rather it not be the 9ers’ 1st too honestly.

• 24

Just Fire Baby

I thought Jake Long was a pretty good player honestly…why did they decide to let him walk?

• Cervantes

The more I’ve looked at it…

I think Warmack is the best talent in the 1st round. Then I like Star for our needs. Or Austin.

Floyd, Ansah, and the Oregon State kid…no thanks.

• irjonny

we could go to 12 for a 2nd and 3rd. go to 16 for a 3rd. and then to 31 for 2nd and a 2014 1st.

that’s being modest.

31st overall. 2 2nd rounders. 2 3rd rounders. and 2 2014 1st rounders.

Moore, Minter Ogletree, Teo, Long, Honey Badger, Robert Woods. All could be available

• 24

Cervantes

If Warmack is the next Larry Allen, absolutely you take him. It makes such a huge difference to have an offensive line that can simply push defenses around. McFadden, if healthy, could be a 1700-1800 yard rusher imo.

• rediaR

Ausberry can make plays in the passing game. The only question is whether he can be a serviceable blocker. Gordon it’s the opposite. We should bring someone in to compete with them, but my point is I don’t think it’s dire. If round 3 comes along and Reggie has a TE as the BPA I say pick him. Of all of the holes though, it’s the most manageable in it’s current state.

• rediaR

24 Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:45 pm
    Just Fire Baby

———————
    Declining play due to injuries.

• irjonny

RediaR Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:43 pm
    Irjonny Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    ———————-
    ————-

i dont’ expect the 49ers to make the playoffs next year. seahawks are just too good on paper. their QB is not going to surprise anyone next year

• RaiderLen

——————————
    A 49er 1st next year is essentially a high 2.

• Demon Raider

Long signed with the Rams for more money than Miami was willing to pay

• Cervantes

To me the only 2 dominant players in CFB that are on the board with 1st round grades are Warmack and Star.

Star makes me a little nervous with the heart thing, but if he’s cleared, he’s cleared.

Warmack just looks like an absolute monster with a mean streak.

Someone mentioned it today…Veldeer, Warmack, Wiz…that’s one hell of a line to run behind.

• RaiderLen

————————————–
    Even if Seattle were to win the division, 49ers would be a wild card.

• Cervantes

Also, Our D this year will be much improved and for a fraction of the cost.

With that, I think a ball control offense makes them even better and makes for a much better season for TP or In It To Flynn It.

• 24

I don’t see the Niners trading up…they don’t need to. They can use all their picks for depth and be better off than getting one special guy. They’re already overly talented and I don’t believe for one minute, they won’t make the playoffs. They play the Seahawks twice a year and I see them splitting 1-1.

• rediaR

Irjonny Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:49 pm
    RediaR Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:43 pm
    Irjonny Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    ———————-
    ————-

———————–
    He doesn’t need to surprise. He’s a good player. I fully expect both them and Seattle to make the playoffs. They have the best two defenses in the league.

• Demon Raider

I like Minter in round 2 if Arthur Brown isn’t OTB. I like Hunter over Woods by a wide margin.

• 24

Speaking of Veldheer…did you guys see the latest picture of him? He’s on the left..WTF!

• ESETERIK78

568.Cervantes Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

=============================

YES. Twelve years of solid play. Sooner or later Reggie will get around to drafting a HB. Nice piece to start with.

• Try Some Reality

The Niners won’t make the playoffs? Look, I hate the Niners as much as the next Raider fan and I would love for that to play out that way…but it won’t.

• Chris in NY

24 Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:43 pm
    Chris In NY

Barnes is not the best QB protector but he can throw down when running.

———————————–

I agree with pretty much everything you say there. By DE/OLB, I just mean pass rusher. If we’re running a 4-3 I’d want an Explosive DE like Ansah. If we’re running a 3-4 primarily, Dion Jordan at OLB in addition to the guys you listed.

• RaiderLen

Cervantes Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Warmack just looks like an absolute monster with a mean streak.

———————————–
    I’ve felt for a long time that Warmack and Star (prior to the heart episode) were the two safest picks drafting at 3.

Warmack could be had lower, Star as well.

How much lower, I don’t know.