Raiders sign free safety Young

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 at 1:18 pm in Oakland Raiders.

UPDATE: The Raiders have confirmed the signing of defensive end Andre Carter.

The Raiders finally got around to signing a safety Tuesday, announcing the signing of Usama Young about five hours after closing a deal with cornerback Mike Jenkins.

Young, who started 11 games for the Cleveland Browns last season and had three interceptions, becomes the prime candidate to start at free safety alongside strong safety Tyvon Branch. The Raiders are listing Young as a strong safety on their web site roster.

A veteran of six seasons and 25 starts, Young played for the New Orleans Saints for four seasons, where his defensive backs coach was Raiders coach Dennis Allen.

• Demon Raider

OG Cooper is a good pick in the mid of the round

• rediaR

The niners have more picks than they need really. Most of them wouldn’t even make it to the 3rd preseason game. They could even do things like trade away their picks for future picks of higher value.

• 24
  • Demon Raider

Bernard, Lattimore and Bell are the RBs I like most this draft

• RaiderLen

RediaR Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    —————————————
    No way the $(ers draft 14 players or whatever it is.

They will bundle picks to move up as needed.

If they draft more than 7 guys I’d be surprised.

• SnBG

Floyd at DT With Sims rotating in and NT in the 34
    Vance Walker
    Carter with Hunter as Rotation

• Demon Raider

I think SF has like 14 picks or so

• Chris in NY

I’m not that high on Warmack. I think he’ll be solid, but I’d be stunned if he ends up one of the 3 best players in this draft. I’d be less surprised if he flops.

Not all that impressive a physical specimen at the combine. And how much of his success is the byproduct of the other linemen, players and coaching staff around him? Can he dominate NFL competition when extracted from the college game and that surrounding cast? I think that’s a valid question.

• irjonny

Try Some Reality Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    The Niners won’t make the playoffs? Look, I hate the Niners as much as the next Raider fan and I would love for that to play out that way…but it won’t.
    ———————–

it’s just my opinion. the NFC is tough. if the seahawks can get over the hump and win the division (which is very possible) then wild cards are tough to get in the that conference.

• RaiderLen

Demon Raider Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    I think SF has like 14 picks or so
    ———————————-
    Correct.

• Demon Raider

I could see SF trading up to get like Vaccaro. Maybe get their 1 and both 2s

• Cervantes

2 things about Floyd that worry me.

1. Very, Very short arms.

2. Wasn’t as dominant as he should be.

• DJ Johnny

Chris In NY Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    Extend Reggie NOW!

———————————–

Which at or near vet minimum deal has you so excited that you’d like to extend the contract of a 4-12 GM with four years left on his current deal?

Not even trying to bash the latest round of bargain-binners, just a little perspective would be nice folks. OK?

After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that your request has been denied.

• SnBG

Ausberry will start as Flynn will need a safety blanket

• DKnight007

MLB – Nick Roach
    ROLB- Miles Burris
    LCB – Tracy Porter
    RCB – Mike Jenkins
    SS – Tyvon Branch
    FS – Usama Young

Personally, I would love to see us trade back and receive multiple picks. I don’t see one big name making enough impact because this team needs help in many areas. I think we really need help along the offensive and defensive lines. If we trade back, we can at least add a 1st round type for both areas. If we stay where we are, draft reports lean towards…

Sharrif Floyd – DT
    Star Lotulelei – DT
    BJOERN WERNER – DE
    ERIC FISHER – OT
    CHANCE WARMACK – OG

Thoughts?

^^^^^^^^^
    You forgot about Dion Jordan!

People need to stop using the word “safe” when it comes to draft prospects.

NONE are “safe”.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

irjonny Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:49 pm
    RediaR Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:43 pm
    Irjonny Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    if we trade back say 3 times and end up with 49ers 31st pick and perhaps 4-5 picks in rnds 2 and 3 we could make a lot of great picks….and on the cheap
    ———————-
    The only way I would trade down that far is if I get another 1st next year. I’d rather it not be the 9ers’ 1st too honestly.
    ————-

i dont’ expect the 49ers to make the playoffs next year. seahawks are just too good on paper. their QB is not going to surprise anyone next year

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You don’t expect the whiners to make the playoffs in the coming year?!

You interested in buying some real estate? How about a sure fire cure for whatever ails you?

• Demon Raider

Hate to say it, but SF doesn’t have a lot of weak spots.

• ESETERIK78

608.Chris in NY Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

=========================

You don’t think he’ll mesh well with our players? Veldheer and WIZ?

• Cervantes

Chris

Can he dominate in the NFL…that’s the same question for each player being drafted.

For my level of interest…it matters to me how you played in college.

Warmack was a stud. Star was a stud. Figures that the year we’re high in the draft (again) there’s no obvious trancendent player.

Gallery over Eli
    Russell over Megatron

We’ll maybe there were and we just missed them…

• Demon Raider

Gallery was the safest pick when we took him…

• SnBG

I don’t know how good Bergstrom will be but Brisiel was a huge disappointment last year and I feel like he’s carrying the Cooper Carlisle disease with him. We need a stronger RG to help McFadden get through the holes.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Brisiel will most likely start because we’re going back to the power

• rediaR

Carter

-or-

Houston Houston
    Sims Sims
    Walker Ansah/Bilukudi
    Ansah/Jordan OLB-Jordan

My belief in Floyd is low.

• Myopinion

What I think theyre doing on d, or at least trying. Da is kniwn for his defensive mind tarver too. If we really necome multiple we can take these players that are deficient in this or that and put them in situations where they can suceed. When was the last time there was any competition at more than a spot or two. Right now there might be a spot.or two theres not.

• Cervantes

14 picks for us would be amazing!

14 picks for the guys who finished 2nd last year…that makes for some valuable guys getting cut in training camp.

Since they’re already in the bay…I think they’re draft will become our draft for a couple of picks.

• Just Fire Baby

I like Hunter over Woods by a wide margin.

*************************

Interesting. What do base your opinion on?

I like Woods a lot, and Hunter has some value as an upside pick.

But Hunter has awful hands, he dropped so many passes at UT he had his own fans booing him.

• Just Fire Baby

14 picks isn’t all that impressive when almost half of them are in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Look for them to package all those to move up a few spots in earlier rounds.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You don’t expect the whiners to make the playoffs in the coming year?!
    ===========================================

Two things REALLY go against the Whiners this season: lst, losing the Super Bowl is always bad juju. They have to overcome that. Tell that to the 2002 Raiders. 2ndly, they are in the process of creating another “dream team”. Those never work. Too many egos, too many players going in their own direction. Oh, and lastly, whiners suck ass.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

============================================

The only team in the league that could have a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders make it is us. Maybe we should trade the overall three for 10 sixth and seventh rounders.

• 24

DKnight007

After signing 3 linebackers, I just don’t see the Raiders drafting an OLB that would likely be a better fit for a 3-4 defense. I still think we’re primariy a 4-3. We haven’t been signing many offensive guys, which only leads me to believe that we’ll be drafting offense or defensive line.

• Cervantes

We needed a QB when Gallery was picked because Gannon was just about done and Kerry Collins was a nightmare.

And I meant Fitzgerald or Rivers…both of whom would have been better picks.

But it goes to show…the draft is years of study and minutes of playing craps.

• rediaR

Seymour Bush Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 7:08 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You don’t expect the whiners to make the playoffs in the coming year?!
    ===========================================

=================================
    I have to say, I don’t agree with either of those reasons. They went to the Superbowl. They already are a dream team. All they’ve done is improve and give young players more experience.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

It’s tough to repeat Oakglen, but come on…they won’t make the playoffs?!

LDE – Lamarr Houston
    LDT – Pat Sims
    RDT – Christo Bilukidi
    RDE – Andre Carter
    LOLB- Keven Burnett
    MLB – Nick Roach
    ROLB- Miles Burris
    LCB – Tracy Porter
    RCB – Mike Jenkins
    SS – Tyvon Branch
    FS – Usama Young;
    ************

Your DLine is all fked up!

Your RDE and LDE will not get pressure…your DT combo sux!

Back to drawing board…this is horrible…you must want team to lose even worse than last year

• DJ Johnny

Yep. He seemed scared coming off his injury…especially over the middle.

He was out for almost the whole season the year prior due to injury so it’s been two yr’s since he’s done anything good.

That soph yr. was dynamite though..for what it’s worth.

• Demon Raider

I really like Jordan. Too bad he won’t fall too far….

• 24

Russell over Megatron was the stupidest decision EVER!!! I’m still mad. Why did Russell have to share that draft? Any other draft in this world and Davis would have drafted Megatron for his freakish ability but I guess throwing 80 yards on your knees is more impressive…

Raiders= 4-3 Defense…get over it

• Just Fire Baby

It has cooled of late, but there was a streak there to where the Super Bowl losing team almost NEVER made the playoffs the following year.

I think it was close to 10 years in a row.

• Cervantes

Definitely Woods…by a landslide!

Him on our team and I’m a really happy camper. That guy can ball and I have no idea why he’s not a bonafide 1st rounder on any Mock Draft I’ve seen.

And Usama Young is a scrub……lord you guys fkin think every signing is good….smh

Reggie isn’t going to sign Vince Young or Matt Leinart..

Brady Quinn is a Seahawk.

I think our veteran QB will be Seneca Wallace or Tyler Thigpen – both young enough to compete for the starting job, but longshots to actually win it (and dirt cheap)

• Cervantes

Can’t be worse than ‘Tackle from Behind but Pay Me Like a Probowler’ Huff.

Robert Woods will fall to 2nd round maybe even 3rd…..I like Criner,Streater and Moore…but add that guy and AFC West got major trouble…and I hate USC players but this guy will get 60 catches in his first season….

• rediaR

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    Raiders= 4-3 Defense…get over it
    ————————
    They were somewhat multiple last year. All the coaches have said is that they will implement more of a multiple style this season.

• Cervantes

You guys realize we could have had Fitz or Megatron?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Watched, and really enjoyed the Dodger/Padre game.

Beckett doing what Beckett does.
    He is trouble in any clubhouse.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 7:13 pm
    Reggie isn’t going to sign Vince Young or Matt Leinart..

Brady Quinn is a Seahawk.

************************

All bums

• 24

B@Uceman

I’m not arguing with your assessment but that’s the team we have assembled at the moment. I’m just working with what we got man. I can’t magically place players in those positions to make it look better if those players aren’t on the team.

Raiders defense is 100 times better than it was in WK17 last year … this with basically 1/3 of the budget wiped out due to dead money

OAK will win at least 6 games this year. We’ll see what happens in the next 5 months

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

It’s tough to repeat Oakglen, but come on…they won’t make the playoffs?!
    ===========================================

I’m Seymour dude. But remember that recent Philly “dream team” with Vick, Vince Young, Celek, Babin, Desean, Ronnie Brown, Asomougha, Samuel, that started the season 4-8?