Safety Smith says he’s joined Raiders

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 at 3:30 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Reggie Smith, a former third-round draft pick of the 49ers who signed with Carolina last season but did not make it out of trianing camp, indicatd on his Twitter account he’s a Raider.

An instagram photo shows him reading pages from a binder with Raiders emblems and a caption that said he’s going back to “Cali.”

Smith played four seasons with the 49ers as a safety and special teams player.

• Dr_ robert

Raider O Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    Kirk Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    Dr_ robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    Priesttj12 should be spewing his perspective on BET network. No one here cares what you think.
    ………………………………………….

That wasn’t a very Christian thing to say.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And Racist. Why BET?
    ******
    I give equal opportunity to successful minority networks. Not just Fox News.

• Dr_ robert

dr_robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    On another note good luck to Urk@l’s cousin.

***********

u say a lot of the same things beeech does.
    *****
    Not Beech dummy, just stating a fact phagg.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Priesttj12 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    DHB, Huff, TK, Wimbley, Routt, were good moves since they were way overpaid.
    ****************************
    You have to want to talk to them to see if they will take les. All this players sign for significantly less with better teams. You don’t know until YOU ASK.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

That’s true.
    I would have liked it if Huff, Wimbley, and DHB stayed with normal salaries.
    I rather have Wimbley and Huff over Young and Carter/ Hunter.
    I don’t think they were willing, and I doubt they were interested in rebuilding this team.

• Relentless

I love we’re getting players that haven’t been in the NFL or have strictly been backups. These are the types of moves that are gonna make us the best NFL castoff team ever! Extend Reggie and Dennis!

• dr_robert

Dr_ Robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:57 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    On another note good luck to Urk@l’s cousin.

***********

u say a lot of the same things beeech does.
    *****
    Not Beech dummy, just stating a fact phagg.

*********

ur both dip sh!ts.

• SnBG

Raiders take a franchise QB next year, not Clowney
    5. Oakland(5-11)-Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson-Years of bad drafts will keep Oakland’s talent depleted, but they are showing the start of a good, young, nucleus. Palmer is aging and Pryor will never be the answer. Boyd is a dual threat QB with good tangibles. With so much speed on the offense, Boyd may finally be the answer in Oakland.

• Priesttj12

Kirk Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    Dr_ robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    ………………………………………….

That wasn’t a very Christian thing to say.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And Racist. Why BET?
    *****************************
    WSe all know this cat for who he is, don’t worry I ignore the degenerate.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Waddup Nation

Rack ‘em

• J Hill

Well Wheeler’s agent disagree’s with you, Priest. And so does Bryant’s.

They were NOT offered non guaranteed contracts.

No need to add propaganda to your argument.

• Dr_ robert

dr_robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:58 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:57 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    On another note good luck to Urk@l’s cousin.

***********

u say a lot of the same things beeech does.
    *****
    Not Beech dummy, just stating a fact phagg.

*********

ur both dip sh!ts.
    *****
    Sorry if I touched a nerve clone. I will try to keep it civil. Amen!!!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Same with CP. I rather have CP over Flynn, but CP want interested in rebuilding the Raiders.

• J Hill

DHB, Huff, 55, ShoNasty, Myers …

Agree they weren’t “talked to”.

• Dr_ robert

#162
    Yep.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Priesttj12 Says:
    I don’t type worth crap so having to type my thoughts so you guys can understnad them fully is cumbersum to me so I do it the best way I can.
    ========================================================

No apologies necessary,Priest. No body types well enough to meet that challenge.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I doubt we are drafting a CB after signing 3 vet CBs and resigning Adams. Too bad. I like Milliner a lot. He is my favorite player in this draft.
    Draft Star!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Myers?
    Myers is nothing special.

• Dr_ robert

Raider O Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    Draft Star!
    ****
    Yep, except for the Star part. Take Joeckel or Fisher.

• J Hill

Move Barnes to OG.

Draft Fisher at 3.

Let Bergstrom and Nix battle for the other OG spot.

= Dmac running for a lot of yards and us winning a lot of games!

• Dr_ robert

#166
    yep.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Priesttj12 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    When you look at what Reggie is doing that statements will make a lot of sense. What seem like reasons to us are set up by the GM as a good excuse why not.

But again I assumed that would obvious…

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I like the direction this thing is going in. My only fear is that mark Davis thinks anything like some of the people here and wants to fire everyone that doesn’t provide instant results. Many of the guys being signed right now may not even make it out of camp. Andante of the ones that do won’t be worth signing for another contract. But the ones that are, we will keep. Because next year we will have money to do it. Wheeler wasn’t worth what he got. And if we had the money to go after him, we may have been able to get him to stay for even a million less. Maybe not. Doesn’t matter. Because Phillip Wheeler is a good linebacker, but he’s not a world champion linebacker. Reggie is looking for world champs. And filling gaps along the way until we can find them. What the hell else is he supposed to do? What would you do that would make this situation so much better?

And I could be wrong, but we had no shot at keeping guys like huff and bey and Kelly. Their contracts were so out of whack. And I think it’s human nature to want to test the waters as a player rather than take a huge paycut, and have to show your face in that lockerroom everyday and be the guy that wasn’t worth his contact. These guys have pride, whether they have talent or not, and I believe most of them would rather take a paycut from another team, then even a smaller paycut from their existing team. Especially when the existing team, us, is such a complete friggin disaster right now.

The fact is, we have filled every defensive position prior to the draft. And just about every offensive position as well except for maybe a tight end. I’m not saying the guys we got r the best in the league, many of them r probably far from it. But most of them r serviceable guys that will allow us to compete a little, while we build from within. How is it that people can’t see that? Reggie has made some mistakes. But he’s making alot of moves. And when you make that many moves, they aren’t all gonna work out. But I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel here w this strategy. It’s better than just siting around waiting for AD to die so he could stop handing out ridiculous contracts to athletic projects.

I’ve always wanted to be a fan of an NFL team, and for the first time in 15 years I think I finally am one. We may look bad for one more year. But like I said, if mark has the balls to stay the course for another year or two, we will once again be able to wear our jerseys in public without people EMPATHIZING with us. IM SO FRIGGIN SICK OF BAD PICKS AND BAD CONTRACTS AND BAD, OVERPRICED FAs. You all should be too!!!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

“Shonasty”?!?!
    The most overhyped Raider in the last few years.

• Priesttj12

J Hill Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    Well Wheeler’s agent disagree’s with you, Priest. And so does Bryant’s.

They were NOT offered non guaranteed contracts.

No need to add propaganda to your argument.
    *************************
    Who said they were? exactly what are you talking about.
    Carson Palmer said he was? I said no such thing I said red herring.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

I do like the wallace move.

He has not won many games in his handful of starts, but there are other factors that i like that make him a good fit.

1. experience in the wco, playing for holmgren and shurmer he has been in the wco his entire career. he has more experience in that offense than both flynn (6 years) and pryor 1 year.

2. He has more experience starting in the nfl than both flynn and pryor combined.

3. even td to turn overs 32 tds 31 turn overs.

These factors will help wallace be a solid number 3 qb.

Now the roster has two very mobile (one hyper mobile) qbs, and a player that can help coach the wco for pryor in his second year.

If worst comes to worst and he has to see the field, he at least can be competent and the offense doesnt drastically change.

good move by big mack

• dr_robert

Dr_ Robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:06 pm
    #166
    yep.

**********

LOL. u actually do try to be like me. all part of ur “plan” to convince people ur me?

wow. what a master. ur gonna fool all the bloggers!

bravo. loser.

• Priesttj12

I don’t think he even talked to Bryant……remember I used the word T.H.I.N.K some of wont notice that.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Priesttj12 Says:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    Raider O Says:
    I noticed lol. I still enjoy reading your posts and debating with you. You are doing a good job. Keep up the good work.
    ==================================================

Sure ‘O’, take the high road and hang me out to dry on the wiseass limb.

• dr_robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    I do like the wallace move.

3. even td to turn overs 32 tds 31 turn overs.

These factors will help wallace be a solid number 3 qb.

good move by big mack

**********

so says the carnival barker:

Step right up! step right up! see the most astonishing space being ever imagined!

turns out to be a midget wearing antennae.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Raider O Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    Myers?
    Myers is nothing special.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Agreed nothing special. But maybe worth 1.5? Maybe not, we will see I guess. I actually think Ausberry could be a beast, but they don’t seem to like him.

• dr_robert

i’m shocked! shocked i tell u, that missdick likes the wallace signing!

so do i! cuz he’s gonna help pryor adjust to his “packages” qb/wr role.

nice job reggie!

• The_Judge37

Raider O Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:06 pm
    “Shonasty”?!?!
    The most overhyped Raider in the last few years.
    ——-

And now it’s Vance Walker. Who in the same 4 years has 5 sacks to Shonasty’s 15

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Priesttj12 Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Your probably right about that one. The drunk and disorderly did him in. We don’t deal w that kinda crap anymore. It was funny when we were winning, two and three decades ago, but now it’s just more embarrassment on top of what goes on out on the field.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Llama man,

Lol
    I know he can get on people’s nerves, but he has a ton of passion, loves everything about the Raiders, and he is a good man. He helps people especially kids.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

dr_robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:12 pm

i’m shocked! shocked i tell u, that missdick likes the wallace signing!

so do i! cuz he’s gonna help pryor adjust to his “packages” qb/wr role.

nice job reggie!
    ==================

i think your spending too much time adjusting your own package

wallace gives us a very good number 3, compared to other number 3 qbs in the nfl

• J Hill

What kind of team are the Raiders building in your eyes?

“I think they’re building a nice organization right now. They’re going out and getting some elite guys. With Matt Flynn coming in at quarterback, they went out and got Tracy Porter, a couple other guys like (Nick) Roach coming in from Chicago. I think they’re headed in the right direction. They have a vision and I definitely respect that about those guys.”

- Jenkins

—————————————————————————-

Priest,

Here’s a comment from a player that requires no reading between the lines.

• RAIDERMAN99

Football Coach Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    If the Raiders do decide to go pass rusher at 3 (their biggest need and one of the most critical positions in the game), there are two candidates who are potential in that pick: Dion Jordan of Oregon and Ezekial “Ziggy” Ansah of BYU. Jarvis Jones was the most productive edge rusher in the college game in 2012, but his physical make up is far below any successful edge rusher in the NFL currently. And while production is important, past history shows many productive college players who did squat in the NFL. Barkevious Mingo is similar to Jordan and Ansah in certain aspects, but has worse hips, is not as physical as Ansah, and not as versatile as Jordan. Let’s look at some comparisons for Ansah and Jordan (all numbers are combine numbers, so setting is equal):

- They both have prototype edge player height (Jordan 6-6+ and Ansah 6-5+)
    - Ansah is the larger man overall, weighing in at 271, which is ideal DE weight. Jordan would have to be more of a tweener (which he was at Oregon) at 248. His frame can hold more weight, but does he have the weight room ethic to put it on? And would he lose speed with more weight? I think Jordan has to be a hybrid OLB/situational DE.
    - Ansah, despite being an inch shorter, has more than an inch longer arms. 35.13 compared to 33.88. Ansah’s arms are very long even compared to elite NFL edge players. Jordan’s are comparable to most top edge players.
    - They both have plus sized hands, Ansah at 10.25, Jordan at 10 even.
    - In terms of speed, it is essentially a wash. Jordan ran the slightly faster 40 (4.60 to Ansah’s 4.63), but Ansah won slightly in the more critical 10 yard split (1.56 to Jordan’s 1.57). Both of these measures are elite for NFL edge players for both men.
    - Bounce/explosion is also a wash. Jordan had the longer broad jump (122 inches to 118) but Ziggy had the higher vertical (34.5 to 32.5). Both measures are solid by elite edge player standards, although Jordan’s vert and Ansah’s broad jump leave a little to be desired.
    - In terms of agility, both players tested well within the range of elite edge players and again topped each other in different categories. Jordan won the 3-cone drill (L shape) 7.02 to 7.11, while Ansah won the 20-yard shuttle 4.26 to 4.35.

In terms of physical traits, both can be called elite as an athlete at amazing size. Ansah’s scores are a bit more impressive given he is achieving them while carrying 23 more pounds than Jordan.

In terms of strength, although the bench test is an imperfect measure, it is all we have. Jordan did not test due to a torn labrum, which he had surgery on after the combine. Ansah lifted a solid but not spectacular 21 reps. Given the size differential, it would be a surprise if Jordan ever came near 21 reps.

In terms of production, here was their 2012 stat line:
    Jordan: 44 tackles, 10.5 TFLs, 5.0 sacks, 1 pass defended, 3 forced fumbles. Solid stats, not eye popping, but definitely productive playing in the competitive Pac-12.

Ansah: 62 tackles, 13.0 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, 9 passes defended, 1 forced fumble. Definite dump in production in terms of numbers vs. Jordan, but it is basically a wash because BYU played lesser competition as an Independent.

Other aspects: both have western U.S. backgrounds, which can be good for the Raiders as regional drafting has been successful in the NFL. Jordan grew up in SF (local enough) and went to high school in Arizona, before playing for the Ducks, which is somewhat local as there is no NFL team in Oregon. Ziggy played at BYU in Utah after coming to the U.S. from Ghana on an academic scholarship. He did not begin playing organized football until 2010.

I have not seen any character concerns for either young man. Jordan has not been in trouble, despite a challenging upbringing, and Ansah has come from a relative 3rd world country, and is now a converted Mormon. Raiders 2012 3rd round pick Tony Bergstrom (the first pick of the McKenzie era) is also a Mormon. Oakland and the surrounding area has a sizable Mormon population and Oakland is home to one of the largest Mormon temples in the U.S.

Weaknesses for Jordan include: questions of strength; lack of sack productivity and use of him in pass coverage, if he is to be an elite NFL pass rusher, this is a red flag; shoulder injury; ability to be a down player in the NFL, would need to bulk up.

Weaknesses for Ansah include: lack of polish, has only played 3 years of organized football; some question toughness; not coming from typical NFL background may be an issue to deep rooted love for the game.

Summary: overall, these are two elite edge-style athletes, with the physical make up to be productive NFL edge rushers. Ansah wins in the size and motor department, Jordan wins in the fluidity and level of college competition department. Both will need to work to maximize their talents, Jordan must get stronger and work on moves, Ansah must really hone his pass rush repertoire and prove he is a four quarter NFL player. Both players have high ceilings with the chance to not reach that ceiling if they do not put in the work. For the Raiders, I would place Ansah slightly higher than Jordan, although both should be in the conversation with the elite OTs as a potential pick at pick 3 if there is no trade down.
    ================================================
    Hey, is this guy good or what ?

Really appreciating your posts Football Coach.

Solid player analysis. Well thought out. Well written.

Loved your comparison of Floyd vs. Houston the other day – warning against Floyd and making the case for the RAIDS going DE/Edge Rusher rather than DT.

Now you follow through with a solid analysis of who the RAIDS should take if they go DE.

Ansah, Jordan, Mingo.

I like your thinking.

I’m leaning towards Ansah as the pick myself, but it is risky.

If not Ansah, I’d go OT and take Fischer if he’s there.

DE more of a need pick, but Fischer despite the small school background is extremely impressive and would give us bookend OT’s for a decade. V is versatile enough to move to RT if need be.

So there you have it, Ansah or Fischer.

That’s today.

Might change my mind tomorrow.

Thanks for your posts FC.

• dr_robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:17 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:12 pm

i’m shocked! shocked i tell u, that missdick likes the wallace signing!

so do i! cuz he’s gonna help pryor adjust to his “packages” qb/wr role.

nice job reggie!
    ==================

i think your spending too much time adjusting your own package

*********

i like him just fine. slim pickings out there anyway and he is somehow a morph between the other two.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider O Says:

Llama man,

Lol
    ====================================================

I know, but feed me a straight line and 9 times out of 10 I’ll jump.

• J Hill

Priest,

You said the GM isn’t talking to these guys.

Then you said they were being offered bad contracts like Palmer’s situation.

That’s what I’m talking about.

• SnBG

Wallace will be the # 2 QB

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Agreed cousin (RM99). I enjoy reading his posts.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

What’s all this talk about a #3 QB? Thought we had an open competition.

• dr_robert

SnBG Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    Wallace will be the # 2 QB
    **********

i think so. of course.

to me, it will be flynn easily, and wallace will look fair-to-solid.

pryor will look….the same. and that means not capable of helping a team win at qb.

it will all play out.

• SnBG

Sorry, there is no QB competition in Oakland
    Flynn,,,,,Wallace,,,,,,,Pryor,,,, writing is on the wall

• RaiderFredinDallas

Build the O line thru this draft.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Remember:

guys being “pumped up” by scouts right now as “rising” top-10 picks are guys they

WANT picked in the top-10, so the true stars can fall to them.

Tayvon Austin, 5′9″, 175 lbs. Umm, hi Ted Ginn. Not a top-10 pick.

————————

Anyone that watched football knows TENN GINN is nowhere close to being the football player Austin is. GINN was a track guy playing football. AUSTIN is a football player first.

and an 8year scout agrees..someone ask ur question

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 10h

RT @_TNNR: what’s the diff between Tavon Austin and Ted Ginn when he came out? > Ginn purely straight-line guy, Austin has wiggle

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 10h

RT @Rynickris: what’s diff between Tavon Austin and Eddie Royal?>Austin more explosive, superior lateral quickness/elusiveness, better hands and runs better routes

• dr_robert

i think they will allow pryor to compete. i also think they have a very good idea how it will go.

they probably are intrigues by pryor’s abilities.

that’s why the interest first in young, and now in wallace makes sense. especially wallace.

he’s a competent enuff regular qb that also played some wr. who better to mentor pryor along those lines?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

peace be easy

• J Hill

I’m not a Pryor fan AT ALL.

openly mocked the idea of drafting him in the supplemental draft.

I support him because he’s a Raider.

With all that said …..

I was pretty impressed with him in that SD game. He has a real chance to compete for the starting job.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

#185

Agreed. Can’t dispute even if I wanted to cause there’s so much info there I didn’t even know about!

I do have a problem w Ansah tho. He has a huge upside. But he’s a risk. We can’t afford to, and no way Reggie attempts to, take such a huge risk at #3. I think we all agree the best case is to trade down anyway of we can, but if not its gotta be as close to a sure thing as you can get in the draft, and Ansah isn’t it.

• dr_robert

J Hill Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    I’m not a Pryor fan AT ALL.

openly mocked the idea of drafting him in the supplemental draft.

I support him because he’s a Raider.

With all that said …..

**********

this sounds like bull. if u weren’t a pryor fan, no way u were impressed by week 17. all those rainbows and dirt balls? he was horrendous for most of the game. saved by a few lucky plays.

and he should have been picked about 5 times.

ur blowing smoke.