Raiders confirm signings of two veterans

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, April 11th, 2013 at 9:02 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders on Thursday confirmed the signings of running back Rashad Jennings and safety Reggie Smith, moves first reported earlier this week.

Jennings, 28, started six of the 10 games he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars last season. He spent his first three NFL seasons with the Jaguars as a backup to Maurice Jones-Drew.

Darren McFadden remains the Raiders primary running back. Jennings is expected to compete for the backup spot occupied by Mike Goodson last season.

Smith played in 45 games for the 49ers from 2008-11. He signed with the Carolina Panthers last season but failed to make it past training camp.

Smith will be among the handful of players competing for playing time at safety, as well as special teams. Tyvon Branch is locked in at strong safety. The Raiders still are searching for someone to replace jettisoned free safety Michael Huff.

• dr_robert

TaidO–only a cretin would ignore the fact the traded for Flynn and instead keep pounding the same moronic nonsense into the ground.

Let me get this straight. They TRADED for a six million dollar qb and then immediately decided to go get a qb off the street that wasn’t in the league last year so he can be the real backup to the guy they had the whole time.

That’s ur idea?

• Priesttj12

RaidO Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    TaidO–I’m a raider fan and intelligence fan. I liked Palmer and I was right about him. About EVERTHING I EVER SAID. Check the archives.

He’s gone. Now I’m for Flynn.

There is NO WAY professional talent evaluators like Reggie and DA would go with Pryor.

They see it.

Idiots don’t.
    ————-

Reggie bringing in guys like Wallace, VY, Troy Smith says you are wrong. That is not random. They are looking for QB’s to backup Pryor. They will run a “mobile offense”. NO more CP tree trunk crap. Pryor will be the starting QB.
    ********************************
    Yeah actions always speak louder than words and their actions say they’re looking for someone to back him up with the same skillset.

• RaidO

RediaR Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    The read option wont last as a base offense, but elements of it will survive and add to the game.
    ——————–

The read option will flourish this year. I expect to see big things from Chip Kelly and the Eagles. Chip Kelly is the master at that up tempo read option offense.

Raiders will getting into the read option action with Pryor also. Should be interesting.

• severeraiderz

Bringing wallace here is a vote of confidence for Pryor. I feel Seneca will serve as a mentor for Pryor as they have similar styles and both had to sit before getting a shot on the field. Flynn doesn’t seem to have the personality to take a guy under his wing, I believe Wallace does. Also the competition from a vet will push both TP and Matt

• ESETERIK78

784.Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:26 pm
    Its still amazing to me that any Raider fan hates Palmer.

You must have some real personal issues or deep seeded racial hate to trash a guy that did all he was asked to do for us including 2 contract restructures.

================================

I slung a lot of s#!t at Palmer.

I could go into all the reasons, but the bottomline is acquiring him was a terrible move, it was bad for the team long term, and now we’re taking it in the face again over this deal.

But I never made it personal like I hate the guy. Just not a fan of his game. Don’t think he’s very good.

I can see how all those things could morph into some kind of personal hate for some, but I don’t hate him. I’m just glad he’s gone and the team can move forward from this debacle next year.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Scrub rentals, no one else wants, coming off injuries.

• dr_robert

Hunter. Ur a disgrace. Let it go. The whole org is against u.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

The facts are he inherited a culture of scholarship players who didn’t give a damn about this organization

———————–

BINGO!!! Ding ding.. they just cared about Taking Al’s money. Overpaid underpeforming check cashers as we call them

• RaidO

Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:36 pm

That’s ur idea?
    —————–

Stop overrating Flynn. Just stop it. It is a open competition. You need to add in Flynn’s bad elbow. He will probably be hurt and on the bench like last year. Yes Reggie gambled on Flynn.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

RaidersBeat ‏@RaidersBeat 5h

#Raiders sniffing around several athletic backup QB’s. Terrelle Pryor fans should see that as a positive.

• dr_robert

U guys are seriously clowns.

THEY TRADED FOR FLYNN!!!

What don’t u get?

• SnBG

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Maybe but poor Vick won’t make it through the year. RG111 got wasted in that style of O. Give me a down the field pocket passer over a running QB anyday. Flynn will be the starter. Raiders will find a backup for him and Pryor will be # 3

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

EJ manuel visiting the Raiders this weekend

• SnBG

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    RaidersBeat ‏@RaidersBeat 5h

Why? Flynn got paid.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Reggie mckenzie via Peter king MMF interview

“I like that the Raiders dealt for Flynn. McKenzie knew Palmer, long-term, wasn’t going to be the quarterback, because he wasn’t going to commit franchise-quarterback money to Palmer annually. So for half the cash, McKenzie dealt for Flynn. McKenzie doesn’t know if Flynn will be his quarterback of the future. In fact, the odds are against a seventh-round passer being someone’s franchise quarterback. That’s why McKenzie won’t rule out taking a quarterback with the third pick in the draft. He won’t rule out taking any position there. “Matt could turn out to be the guy, and if he does, so be it,” McKenzie said.”

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130408/2013-nfl-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2QCozXoiA

• RaidO

Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    U guys are seriously clowns.

THEY TRADED FOR FLYNN!!!

What don’t u get?
    ——————

2014 5th rd and a conditional pick in 2015.

Oh Wow!!!!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Reggie mckenzie said its gonna be open competition. Money means nothing.. It mean nothing to seattle.. the best man will win

• SnBG

Flynn got paid folks

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Mike Jenkins QnA

Q: What was it that you fell in love with when you met the Raiders?

Jenkins: Really, like I said, when I went in, the guys looked me in my face and they were straight forward with me. I liked everything about the team. Like I said, I felt like they had vision. I felt like they knew where they were going. I felt like they knew what they wanted and I just wanted to be a part of that because, like I said, the vision is the whole thing to

Q: What has this process been like since the off-season began and free agency?

Jenkins: Pretty much like coming out of college again, like the whole recruiting process. Going from places to places. The Raiders pretty much…I had a great visit when I went out there. Those guys were pretty much straight forward with me. Never promised me to anything. I felt like the only thing they really promised me to was a chance and I really appreciated that about those guys because they looked me at my face and were straight forward. They never promised me to come in and play. They promised me a chance to go out there and compete to get a position that I deserve. I think that should be for everybody. So I think that really set me out into going out there with those guys.

—————————–

See a theme??? Its open competiton everywhere.. Thats a great thing for the Raiders.. means we are gonna get the best out of em

• RaidO

Oh and the Raiders got a 2013 sixth-round and a 2014 conditional pick for Palmer.It was a wash.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

2014 5th rd and a conditional pick in 2015.

Oh Wow!!!!

—————————

yep and he is not guarenteed past this year. Its a prove it year for all these guys

• deepthreat21

Big Reg has been tearing a$$ lately!!!!! I am loving the moves. We are going to take the league by surprise this year. Not predicting superbowl but the haters are going to get served a big bowl of shut yer hole.
    PS
    EJ Manuel is the best QB in the draft!

• deepthreat21

TP6 is going to get traded to the Eagles.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Key part of Mike Jenkins interview per Raiders.com

“Those guys were pretty much straight forward with me. Never promised me to anything. I felt like the only thing they really promised me to was a chance and I really appreciated that about those guys because they looked me at my face and were straight forward. They never promised me to come in and play. They promised me a chance to go out there and compete to get a position that I deserve. I think that should be for everybody. So I think that really set me out into going out there with those guys.”

————————-

Thats the theme out there.. which is why Terrence Newman didnt sign.. said on the sirius interview a few days ago he wasnt guranteed to start.

• SnBG

Did I see a couple of Palmer bashing comments tonight?
    Palmer played for a lousy team. Palmer is a great QB

• 87551Raider

“Mark knew the cap part of this was going to be a two-year deal.

*********************************

Sounds like this is Reggies and DAs make or break season. Look out.

• SnBG

Terence Newman should not start anywhere in the universe not even in a parallel universe

• ESETERIK78

826.87551Raider Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    “Mark knew the cap part of this was going to be a two-year deal.

*********************************

Sounds like this is Reggies and DAs make or break season. Look out.

=================================

This is year two. NEXT year is the make or break.

• 87551Raider

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:40 pm
    Scrub rentals, no one else wants, coming off injuries.
    ****************************************
    Thats why Reggie is building with one year contracts. One year at a time, scrub central.

• SnBG

Good night Fans til tomorrow

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Via another Raider board..

“QB EJ Manuel Visiting Oakland

I found this video on the nfl website. Ej Manuel talks about attending the 2013 draft and towards the end he talks about what teams he has visited and will visit . If you just want to hear the raider part skip all the way to 1:55. He mentions he’s going to visit oakland. Maybe Reggie is thinking Qb this draft if we trade down or get an early second rounder beacuse now way Manuel goes number 3 and I doubt he will last till the 3rd round.

Link:
    EJ Manuel will attend 2013 NFL Draft – NFL Videos “

• ESETERIK78

825.SnBG Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    Did I see a couple of Palmer bashing comments tonight?
    Palmer played for a lousy team. Palmer is a great QB

=================================

Agree lousy teams, still don’t think he’s a great QB though.

Anyway, he’s gone and unless I’m talking about one of our players giving him snot bubbles I will not speak of him again.

• RaidO

SnBG Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ————

Kap is the exception? What do all those QB’s have in common? They are all young and in the playoffs. They still got plenty of time to grow. If the Panthers fix their defense i expect Cam to be in there to.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 15m

Mark Davis on Reggie McKenzie: “He’s doing what he was hired to do.” Translation: “He’s cleaning up the mess we made for him.”

Retweeted by RaidersBeat

• RaidO

SnBG Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    Did I see a couple of Palmer bashing comments tonight?
    Palmer played for a lousy team. Palmer is a great QB
    ————–

Palmer is no longer a Raider.. Move on..

• ohioraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:19 pm

If you notice the kind of QB’s the Raiders are bringing in it’s rather easy to see what kind they favor. I have yet to see them bring in a pocket passer outside of Flynn. Which take whatever you choose from that in terms of who it favors Flynn or Pryor. But IMO it says a lot about what they think of Pryor. Others will see it the other way.

I honestly think they want Pryor to win this job but they must do their due diligence. Flynn is someone Reggie has some fondness for that much is obvious but I also feel he is very much in awe of Pryor’s talent.

So we’ll see how this plays out but I think it goes without question they want an athletic QB or two on this roster.
    ————————————-
    Father Pride & Poise you need some serious couch time. Let me play the role of therapist here, just for the sake of expediency, ok?

FP&P(reclining on couch): “I also feel that(Reggie) is very much in awe of Pryor’s talents.”

Therapist: I recall you also recently posted that Palmer was so intimated by Pryor’s talents that he wanted off the team.

FP&P: “Yes, that’s obvious. Palmer knew he couldn’t beat Pryor out so he forced a trade.”

Therapist: That’s a very interesting theory but you really have no facts to back this up. You’re trying to read intentions into situations based on your own personal biases.

FP&P: “Well, I was once a highly valued scout to Mr. Davis.”

Therapist: Unfortunately, some of Mr. Davis’ worse inclinations have rubbed off on you. Apart from that, from a psychiatric evaluative perspective, you suffer from extreme fantasies of projection.

FP&P: “What’s that mean?”

Therapist: It means you owe me $150 for the last hour.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

SnBG Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:34 pm
    Kirk Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    Reggie and DA are “professional talent evaluators?”

Is that why they hired Gregg Knapp?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    By the time they came on board they didn’t have a lot of choices. They’ve corrected that and understand their team better this year and will make go use of what they have

=========

Bullschmidt dude. They went after Krapp & paid EXTRA for him. He was reluctant to come here. One better option was already in the building.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:36 pm
    Mark Davis is a disgrace.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

==========

Oh you don’t trust Bucky Larson’s football acumen?

• Gdog

alex7 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:14 pm

lol at guys still wanting to trade out of a top-5 pick and end up with the 2nd-to-last 1st round pick and a bunch of 15%-chance-they-make-it 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Somewhere along the line, picks became more valuable than actual talent.

Weirdos.

50% chance to get a Pro Bowl talent in the first 15 picks.

WE DON’T NEED DEPTH, WE NEED IMPACT PLAYERS NOW.

>>>>

Reggie is trained with the “GB way” where premier talent just magically falls to them in the way of Favre or Rodgers.

He will trade down and keep trading down. I would be more surprised if we pick in the first round at all than if we pick 3rd.

• angry little man

I’m feeling better about the defense then I was last off season. The signings of Porter and Jenkins to the secondary is/should be better then the signings of Ron Bartell and Shante Spencer last season.

Porter was playing great before his medical issue, by the time he recovered he lost his starting job. Jenkins is a former pro bowler who may have lost his confidence while playing in Dallas. All in all this is an upgrade over last seasons signings in the secondary.

It is my opinion that RM is going to build this team thru the draft, hence all of the 1 year stop gap player signings. As it stands right now the Raiders have 6 draft picks for the 2014 draft , the lone fifth rounder going to Seattle for Matt Flynn. Its my hope that RM trades Dmac for more picks in next years draft, to restock a depleted roster.