Raiders confirm signings of two veterans

The Raiders on Thursday confirmed the signings of running back Rashad Jennings and safety Reggie Smith, moves first reported earlier this week.

Jennings, 28, started six of the 10 games he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars last season. He spent his first three NFL seasons with the Jaguars as a backup to Maurice Jones-Drew.

Darren McFadden remains the Raiders primary running back. Jennings is expected to compete for the backup spot occupied by Mike Goodson last season.

Smith played in 45 games for the 49ers from 2008-11. He signed with the Carolina Panthers last season but failed to make it past training camp.

Smith will be among the handful of players competing for playing time at safety, as well as special teams. Tyvon Branch is locked in at strong safety. The Raiders still are searching for someone to replace jettisoned free safety Michael Huff.

Steve Corkran

• DutchRaider77

@DAV

So if we DID stay at #3, who would you pick?

• CJ Legend 34

Troy Smith’s arm is weak, but I guess he could help TP. Buckeyes know Buckeyes.

• DennisAllensVisor

DutchRaider77 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    @DAV

So if we DID stay at #3, who would you pick?

—-

Star.

No doubt.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Theghostronin79 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    honestly i would take vy smith and pryor over flynn

I would take flynn over wallace

===========

I read somewhere the EJ Manuel is coming to Oakland for a private workout too.

=============================================

I’d almost take that as a sign we won’t be drafting him. Reggie brought in about a dozen guys for pre-draft workouts; Bilukidi is the only one he actually took. Heck, he passed on Josh Chapman TWICE.

• inonewordraider

theghostronin79 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    honestly i would take vy smith and pryor over flynn

I would take flynn over wallace

===========

I read somewhere the EJ Manuel is coming to Oakland for a private workout too.

____________
    makes me wonder if we’re keeping pryor

• theghostronin79

Star seems to be the heavier favorate amongst the #3 guessers…I’d love to have him too.

• DennisAllensVisor

I would like to chuckle at whoever it was months ago saying Dion Jordan wasnt a 1st round pick when I was mocking him to us after a trade down…

*Chuckle*

*Chuckle*

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    Vince Young impressed in his WO. We may be signing him.

=======================================

Hopefully only for a non-guaranteed vet minimum deal, with an understanding that the first time he badmouths a teammate or challenges DA or Reggie’s authority, he’s out of here for good.

• DennisAllensVisor

theghostronin79 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

—-

Can play more positions.

3-4 or 4-3.. as long as his heart is good he’s a top pick.

• theghostronin79

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:12 pm
    Theghostronin79 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    honestly i would take vy smith and pryor over flynn

I would take flynn over wallace

===========

I read somewhere the EJ Manuel is coming to Oakland for a private workout too.

=============================================

==========

I don’t know how many “PWO” they’re allowed to host but, Tyrann Mathieu made the list too.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Theghostronin79 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

=====================================

I’d love to have Star if we can’t trade down.

• The Big Banana

Why you people continue to float trade scenarios that would help the Niners immensely, I do not know. Undercover niner fans in here?

• SnBG

I could take Star, trade Jano and keep DMC or make a trade with the bills or Jets

• dr_robert

Silver– lol. Like I said. All ego. Riled up? On a blog? Nope. U get me pizzed? Not even a little. Sorry kid. U have no effect. I know that bothers u but oh we’ll.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

At the very least, we can safely say that a PWO does not in any way mean we’re taking that player.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

• DennisAllensVisor

The Big Banana Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

—-

By that logic we’re undercover Dolphins, Jets & Bills fans too right?..

Come on man.

• dr_robert

It seems to me that the staff might be intrigued by the read option in packages but aren’t convinced Pryor is that guy.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

========================================

• dr_robert

Or the only unemployed qbs are black guys.

Sorry. Too easy.

• dr_robert

How bad would that be? They actually wanna run read option but still won’t use Pryor.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

“I would agree. I still haven’t seen any evidence Pryor has an accurate enough arm to be an NFL quarterback.”

Trade package with McFadden on draft day maybe.

• CJ Legend 34

658.Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    CJ Legend 34 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    Vince Young impressed in his WO. We may be signing him.

=======================================

——————————————–
    Yeah, I agree but you know I think Reggie is going to tell him straight up front. You get know second chances and stick by it. Plus, if I am going to get the most out of Youngs skills on the field it may be right now, He is eating humble pie, just got married has a kid, finacial issues and sees this as a second chance. He even said he matured and took the high road with the issues he had with Fisher in Tenn. In so many words he said he was young and imature.

• SnBG

NFL Network says Johnson has more upside than Fisher or Joeckel. I could see the Raiders trading with the bills and if Star or Floyd are gone the he could be our next OT. He can play left or right ot

• The Big Banana

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:16 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

—-

By that logic we’re undercover Dolphins, Jets & Bills fans too right?..

Come on man.

—–

Nice job of oversimplifying to try to make a point. I see much more niner trade talk than the others combined.

• DJ Johnny

Search Seneca Wallace on google and sites list him as Oakland Raider…but Chi. radio for some reason mentioned that there’s some kind of snag…even tho it was supposed to be done deal.

I think they were ripping on Matt Leinart and the convo came around to Seneca Wallace for some reason.

• DennisAllensVisor

WE’RE NOT TRADING MCFADDEN.

WE’RE NOT FIRING ALLEN.

WE’RE NOT FIRING REGGIE.

Now I remember why I didnt miss this place much LOL..

• Gdog

The people pining for a Jano trade must not have any recollection of how bad it sucked having kickers miss FG’s when Gruden first started, and how long it took before he got GOOD!

I hope Reggie finds his big boy pants and restructures so he retires a Raider. I am not holding my breath. He’s Al’s guy.

• CJ Legend 34

If we are going to a power running game we don’t let McFadden go this year, even if his contract year is 2014.

• The Big Banana

Besides…the niner fan accusation was tongue-in-cheek. Still having trouble with that sarcasm detector, DAV?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

SnBG Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:22 pm

==========================================

I always get nervous about guys I’ve never heard of who shoot up into the top 10 after the combine. If his play was any good, we would have heard of him earlier.

• DennisAllensVisor

The Big Banana Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:16 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

—-

By that logic we’re undercover Dolphins, Jets & Bills fans too right?..

Come on man.

—–

—-

Couldnt be anything to do with the fact they have the most picks to trade with could it?…

Im gonna go out on limb and say yea.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

“So McKenzie has his boss’s support. If he wants to keep that support, however, he’d better be right that Flynn is a better quarterback than Palmer, and he’d better see the Raiders improve on last year’s 4-12 record.”

If Flynn does not better us from 4-12 then RM must go!

Not sure how good Flynn actually is lets debate that again….

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Gdog Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:23 pm

===========================================

Our kicking was miserable for years before Jano got here. Cole Ford, Greg Davis, Michael Husted? Ugh.

That’s also why I think Reggie will sign the best UDFA kicker and give him an unofficial tryout in camp. If he’s no good, we cut him. If he is good, we do exactly what we did with King last year: stash him on IR for when Jano’s contract runs out after this season.

• CJ Legend 34

Also, if Greg Olsen is truly intrigued by Pryor he keeps him around for the preseason to see what he can really do.
    Olson has made a name for himself coaching QBs with diffrent styles. Freeman Buccs was a better passer than Pryor but he was kind of raw. But Greg was able to work with him. Bulger from St Louis big moble.

See what he can do with Pryor. If nothing than you cut the guy.

• rediaR

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:25 pm

If Flynn does not better us from 4-12 then RM must go!

Not sure how good Flynn actually is lets debate that again….
    ——————–
    Well depending on who you talk too, Flynn is either terrible, or you are talking to a reasonable person.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

——————–
    I suggest you wash the schitty Palmer towels and get ready to wipe the schit off your face, AGAIN.

• DennisAllensVisor

The Big Banana Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

—-

Wouldnt it be keyboard-in-cheek?

Kinda hard to hear sarcasm in 12 Arial font LOL.

• oakfasho

Reggie sure loves to sighn scrubs and bums to 1 year contracts.Yea thats how you build a team.What a fkn joke! Fire this piece of sht already.#1 overall pick in 2014.

• The_Judge37

————-

It’s because people desperatly want to trade out of the 1st round,and 31 is close enough. Because 2nd Tier Players is how you “Build it Right”

• dr_robert

Whatever happens, I hope pryor fails so I can laugh at missdick.

That’s what’s important.

• theghostronin79

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

============

True, all it shows is that they were pretty damn interested BEFORE the workout…..May have changed their minds, AFTER the workout.

• CJ Legend 34

Even mor eexciting Greg Olsen was the one who coached up Drew Brees in college. Would not call Matt Flynn a Drew Brees but he can move around in the pocket and make those short mid range passes. Maybe he can help Flynns game out. And it is not like Flynn never put up any points. You know?

I don’t know what to expect this season but I like they are feeling players in holes rather just taking big names and see where they go later. Sort of like we have been doing for the last 10 plus years.

• oakfasho

677.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    WE’RE NOT TRADING MCFADDEN.

WE’RE NOT FIRING ALLEN.

WE’RE NOT FIRING REGGIE.

Now I remember why I didnt miss this place much LOL..

================================================ Both will be fired after this 2-14 season.We didnt miss you either and get out son!

• The Big Banana

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:16 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

—-

By that logic we’re undercover Dolphins, Jets & Bills fans too right?..

Come on man.

—–

—-

Im gonna go out on limb and say yea.

——–

Funny how one of the more sarcastic posters in here has a problem seeing the lighter side and takes everything so seriously.

Calm down. I’m not entirely against trades with them, just trades that would help them greatly. I happen to think Jano would help them immensely.

Where’s your Raider?

• dr_robert

Kell– u ignoramus. I said Palmer was good and I was right. Ask Bruce Arians. Ur the fools who look stupid for wanting a good qb gone. And into the arms of the reigning coach of the year.

U really are not too bright.

• DennisAllensVisor

Only reason I am back is because I got an email from Jerry & Cork telling me I am being inducted as the first member of the Raiders Blog HALL of FAME..

• DennisAllensVisor

They’re hanging up my keyboard at halftime of the home opener.

Hope you guys can make it.

• irjonny

Fluker is a career RT. if we were going to take a tackle in the first round it would be him imo. we have a young franchise LT

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Whatever happens, I hope pryor fails so I can laugh at missdick.

That’s what’s important.
    ———————
    Exactly Troll. Thanks for admitting it.