Raiders confirm signings of two veterans

The Raiders on Thursday confirmed the signings of running back Rashad Jennings and safety Reggie Smith, moves first reported earlier this week.

Jennings, 28, started six of the 10 games he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars last season. He spent his first three NFL seasons with the Jaguars as a backup to Maurice Jones-Drew.

Darren McFadden remains the Raiders primary running back. Jennings is expected to compete for the backup spot occupied by Mike Goodson last season.

Smith played in 45 games for the 49ers from 2008-11. He signed with the Carolina Panthers last season but failed to make it past training camp.

Smith will be among the handful of players competing for playing time at safety, as well as special teams. Tyvon Branch is locked in at strong safety. The Raiders still are searching for someone to replace jettisoned free safety Michael Huff.

Steve Corkran

• RaiderRetribution

Trade down must remain in the top ten; may fall back another spot for each qb drafted.

• SnBG

Members of the media are finally listening to our wise words and realizing the Raiders already have DTs, but don’t have much of a pass rush option.
    ”””””””””””’
    One mock does not make the media.Houston is the only starting DT and they’re going to use him on the edge in the 43. Still need that big man at NT DT whatever you wish to call him

• dr_robert

Rediar–don’t tell b@uce. He said I and others were crazy for suggesting it.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

AND WHEN,NOT IF, YOUR IMPACT PLAYERS GET HURT..WHAT THEN ??

• Dr_ robert

dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    Rediar–don’t tell b@uce. He said I and others were crazy for suggesting it.

Little “r”,
    Common sense isn’t always common.

• rediaR

SnBG Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    ”””””””””””’
    ————————
    I didn’t say it was the entire media, but “members of” it. I’ve seen a few mocks picking someone other than Floyd of late. Usually Ansah.

Like it or not, Sims, Walker and Bilukudi are likely to start or see significant PT.

• Lowdown_in_Beijing

Can the Raiders even afford to pay for a #3 overall pick with what little cap space they have left?

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

MARK DAVIS IS A DISGRACE.

• Dr_ robert

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    MARK DAVIS IS A DISGRACE.
    ****
    Very original dumba$$, guess you have to replace your other montra.

• rediaR

DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    AND WHEN,NOT IF, YOUR IMPACT PLAYERS GET HURT..WHAT THEN ??
    ——————-
    Same thing that happens for every team in every sport, you play worse. You can’t pass on impact players because it will suck if they miss time.

• rediaR

Lowdown_in_Beijing Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    ——————–
    It’ll be fine.

• SnBG
  • RaidO

NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport reported earlier in the offseason that the Oakland Raiders had “preliminary” conversations about bringing in free-agent quarterback Vince Young for a workout.

Free-agent tracker
    NFL free agency is underway. Follow all of the latest player rumors and signings in our free-agent tracker. More…
    “Heard Vince looked good,” Rapoport added.

The Raiders opted to take a pass on signing Seneca Wallace as a backup quarterback, perhaps due to their interest in Young.

• RaidO

Raiders 2013 QB depth chart.

1. Pryor
    2. VY
    3. Flynn

• RaidO

“On the heels of an impressive showing at the University Texas Pro Day late last month, the Raiders followed through on that workout Thursday. Young and former Baltimore Ravens backup Troy Smith both auditioned for the Raiders, Rapoport reported.”

They “auditioned” mobile QB’s. Mobile QB’s to back up Pryor. Keep the offense the same.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

“Young will have to prove that he’s made strides in accuracy and picking up NFL verbiage, but he does have the rise of the read-option offense in his favor as he attempts his comeback.”

The guy has the IQ of a bird.

Head case!

I hope he never wears Silver and Black

• JLofty

Alex, you are wrong, we need depth VERY badly. That will take soem time but looks like were

• ESETERIK78

758.Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    MARK DAVIS IS A DISGRACE.

============================

I disagree. I think he’s learning.

Think he’ll EVER allow ANYONE to trade first and second round picks again?

I doubt that will ever happen on Reg’s watch anyway, he knows what he’s doing. But Hue Jackson didn’t know any better. He was trying to be “The Man” here, and Davis didn’t know to step on the idiot before it happened.

Mark needed to consider his own decisions as well when he was kicking up dust about regression.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

How pathetic of an organization are we that we are looking at VY he couldn’t even crack 3rd string in Buffalo last year.

• dr_robert

RaidO has stopped pretending he’s not an idiot.

• SnBG

WalterFootball still says…. Oakland Raiders: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    There has been a ton of buzz around Sharrif Floyd ever since the middle of February, and now the consensus is that he will be a top-five lock. Some are even comparing him to J.J. Watt. It’s possible that the Raiders would view him as the best player available.

Floyd makes a ton of sense from a needs staindpoint. Richard Seymour’s contract was voided, while the lethargic Tommy Kelly was released. The Raiders signed Vance Walker and Pat Sims, but they’re not starting-caliber players. General manager Reggie McKenzie needs to find a forceful interior lineman who can help generate pressure; only Jacksonville had fewer sacks than Oakland in 2012.

• dr_robert

Reggie just TRADED for a six million dollar third string qb.

That’s TaidO’s mind at work. Tato head.

• RaidO

Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    RaidO has stopped pretending he’s not an idiot.
    ————

Still butt hurt about Palmer?

• Kirk

Draft Fisher.

• RaidO

Dr_robert you are a Arizona Cardinals now. This blog is for Raider fans only. bye bye

• RaidO

*fan

• Priesttj12

If you notice the kind of QB’s the Raiders are bringing in it’s rather easy to see what kind they favor. I have yet to see them bring in a pocket passer outside of Flynn. Which take whatever you choose from that in terms of who it favors Flynn or Pryor. But IMO it says a lot about what they think of Pryor. Others will see it the other way.

I honestly think they want Pryor to win this job but they must do their due diligence. Flynn is someone Reggie has some fondness for that much is obvious but I also feel he is very much in awe of Pryor’s talent.

So we’ll see how this plays out but I think it goes without question they want an athletic QB or two on this roster.

• dr_robert

TaidO head– why would I be butt hurt? I said he was good and he is. I said he would be traded so Reggie could get HIS GUY and that’s what happened.

Bruce Arians likes him.

Everything I said was and is correct.

Bruce Arians and dr Robert>>>>>>>TaidO

• SnBG

”””””””””””’
    The Read Option will not last so I don’t see the Raiders going to that style of offense. Flynn will start in a WC style offense with maybe a package here and there for Pryor. Not even sure they will do that. Not a good idea bringing in Young

• RaidO

Priesttj12 Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:19 pm

————-

Yup, Wallace, VY, Troy Smith. All mobile.

Troy smith?
    Seems like the raiders may be installing a offense built for mobile QB’s. A little bit of zone read.

• dr_robert

TaidO–I’m a raider fan and intelligence fan. I liked Palmer and I was right about him. About EVERTHING I EVER SAID. Check the archives.

He’s gone. Now I’m for Flynn.

There is NO WAY professional talent evaluators like Reggie and DA would go with Pryor.

They see it.

Idiots don’t.

• ESETERIK78

779.SnBG Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:20 pm
    ”””””””””””’

==================================

Wallace is a better “character guy”. He’s always been a back-up, and has no problem with the role. With VY, I think he believes he’s still good enough to play. Over time he may get an attitude. We don’t need that.

• Priesttj12

Reggie needs to get a couple of corners in this draft and a DE a WR and Olineman for depth and maybe even a TE how he’s going to do that will be interesting. If he can get what he wants to trade down is the best way. But if he cannot get the picks he wants he can’t be too eager that he gets hosed again. Take Ansah and move forward.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

Its still amazing to me that any Raider fan hates Palmer.

You must have some real personal issues or deep seeded racial hate to trash a guy that did all he was asked to do for us including 2 contract restructures.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

I’d love to see him and Woody Harrelson in another movie; they played so well off each other in “White Men Can’t Jump.”
    ——————————–
    Go rent Money train if you want to see Snipes and Harrelson together.

• rediaR

The read option wont last as a base offense, but elements of it will survive and add to the game.

• dr_robert

The raiders just TRADED precious picks for a six million dollar qb.

They said Pryor will be looked at, “especially in packages”.

Says it all.

They’re interest in Wallace, smith, young, and the like is easy to understand.

They want a third qb that could fill in for either Flynn or Pryor.

Duh. I’m the first to see the truth. As usual.

• Kirk

Reggie and DA are “professional talent evaluators?”

Is that why they hired Gregg Knapp?

• RaidO

Dr_robert Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

He’s gone. Now I’m for Flynn.

They see it.

Idiots don’t.
    ————-

Reggie bringing in guys like Wallace, VY, Troy Smith says you are wrong. That is not random. They are looking for QB’s to backup Pryor. They will run a “mobile offense”. NO more CP tree trunk crap. Pryor will be the starting QB.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

“Yup, Wallace, VY, Troy Smith. All mobile.”

Are you from the South?

You do realize they were all career backups and some of them have been out of the league in a while….Yeah let’s get Vinny Testeverde and Vince Evans to come out of retirement!

• dr_robert

They are looking for a backup qb for Flynn that can also be a backup to Pryor in his “packages”.

Very smart.

• RaidO

Seriously Troy Smith? That screams we are going to running a “mobile” offense and need backups for Pryor.

Troy Smith? LOL

• Priesttj12

********************************
    You are correct, but I think they just want to get Pryor to the point where they’re comfortable with him longterm and they can move from there. Thus the one year gaurantees and so forth.

• http://polarityblog.com Silverandblack666

Pryor is probably being traded on draft day little guy so you might not want to take a break from riding his jock until after April 25th has passed.

• SnBG

Kirk Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    Reggie and DA are “professional talent evaluators?”

Is that why they hired Gregg Knapp?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    By the time they came on board they didn’t have a lot of choices. They’ve corrected that and understand their team better this year and will make go use of what they have

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien 56m

Jennings: “I’m a blue-collar, hard-nosed, downhill type guy looking forward to environment where it’s expected.” http://sbn.to/10SeGBx

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien 1h

Rashad Jennings was out all 2011 w/ knee injury. Re-injured in 2012. Said “a little setback… nothing significant” http://sbn.to/10SeGBx

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien 2h

Rashad Jennings said prior to visiting the #Raiders he had preliminary conversations with #Broncos and #Packers

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

he Raiders officially announced they had signed free agent running back Rashad Jennings Thursday morning. The signing was a necessary one as the Raiders were in much need of depth at running back behind starter Darren McFadden.

Being a reserve running back is nothing new to Jennings. He played behind All Pro Maurice Jones-Drew in Jacksonville the past few years.

In his first two season, Jennings was considered one of the top reserve backs in the league. He was averaging over five yards a carry in relief of MJD in 2009-10. When asked how he would describe himself as a running back, he was not lacking in confidence.

“I like to describe myself as a complete back. A back that can protect the quarterback, pick up an offense, a running back that can catch out of the backfield, running that can get you first downs, a running back that can get you the long plays – an every down back. As long as I’ve been playing the game, I’ve been practicing to become a complete back and that’s what I hold myself to.”

This level of self-confidence might seem odd in the ‘what have you done for me lately?’ department. After his first two seasons in which he showed immense potential, his career took a turn for the worse He went down with a knee injury prior to the 2011 season that placed him on injured reserve for the entire season. He would re-aggravate that same knee injury late in the 2012 season as well.

“Yeah, we had a little setback but it was nothing significant to miss a heavy dose of game time or anything. I’m 100% healthy since I came out of the season completely healthy and I’ve been healthy the whole off-season, so again all injuries are in the past, that’s a done deal. That’s washed away… I’m really looking forward. (Not) What happened, what should’ve happened, what could’ve happened. We’re looking at what we can control.”

Even before the injury late in 2012 he was not himself. He stepped in for Maurice Jones-Drew who went down with an injury early in the Jaguars’ week six game against the Raiders. Jennings then averaged just 2.1 yards per carry against the Raiders and a mere 2.8 yards per carry over six starts.

Jennings blames himself firsts and foremost. However, a we all know, the Jaguars had one of the worst overall offenses in the league last season.

“I always take ownership. If things go well, it’s the offensive linemen, if things go bad, it’s because I didn’t do a good job. That’s my mentality, that’s how I’ve always been since peewee football and it’s not gonna change now. But we as an offense were not clicking on synch as we wish we could’ve, we should’ve, but that’s all in the past. We can’t go backwards at all. I’m excited to be a Raider and I’m excited where we’re gonna do.”

There is little doubt he is eager to put the past couple seasons behind him. He was so excited to join the Raiders, he tweeted when he had his visit, then tweeted that it looked like he was gonna have a new home in Oakland, and later announced it was official the moment he put pen to paper.

The Raiders weren’t the only team to show interest in Jennings’ services.

“I had a few preliminary conversations with Green Bay and Denver and conversations with the Raiders and they called me out for the visit for the workout and in coming over to the West Coast, we got friends and family over there but I looked overall the organization, where they’re headed, where they wanna go and everything that they have lined up and I think that it would be a good fit for me to be a part of the organization and help build this team.”

As much as he is looking forward to the future of his new team, he also was asked what ‘popped in his head’ when he thought about the Raiders as an organization.

“Tradition pops into my head. Excellent, great fan base pops into my head. Eager and hungry team pops into my head. I think about blue-collar, dirt, fighting, dirty yards. I think about backyard football when I think about the Raiders.”

The under-the-radar, hard-working, blue collar guys, with something to prove has been the theme of the off-season for the Raiders. Jennings says he embodies that as well.

“Yeah, I’m always hard working. I don’t pay attention where I’ve ever been on anybody’s radar from High School to college to the pros because it’s irrelevant to the work that you gotta put in. I’m a firm believer in when an opportunity presents itself, it’s too late to prepare for it so I’m the type of person that takes this game very serious, I stay in shape year round and I am a blue-collar, hard-nosed, downhill type of guy so I’m looking forward to being in that environment where it’s already expected.”

There is one more common characteristic in Reggie McKenzie’s type of players – their strong faith. Jennings offered one last unprompted comment before we ended the call.

“It’s because of my faith in Jesus Christ that I’m able to do this so I always let anybody know that’s writing, that’s where my faith is and I’m thankful for it.”

He certainly sounds like the kind of “complete back” this team was looking for.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Davis is a disgrace.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.