RB Jennings Q&A on heels of signing with Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, April 11th, 2013 at 5:44 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Running back Rashad Jennings spoke with the Bay Area media on the same day that he signed a contract with the Raiders. Here is the transcript from the conference call:

Q: What attracted you to the Raiders and what other teams were you talking to before making this decision?

Jennings: We had a few preliminary conversations with Green Bay and Denver and conversations with the Raiders. They called me out for the visit, for the workout, and going over to the West Coast, we got friends and family over there. I looked over all the organization and where they’re headed, where they want to go, and everything they have lined up and I think that it will be a good fit for me to be a part of the organization and help build this team.

Q: Did having Greg Olson with the Raiders play any role in your choosing come to this team?

Jennings: I think any player would say it’s always a thumbs up to be around a coach that’s been around you for a period of time. They know you. They know your work ethic. They know what you’re going to bring to the table. He was the quarterbacks coach in Jacksonville and now the offensive coordinator with the Raiders. That plays a role in being comfortable with knowing somebody, but football, you’re going to be issued a playbook. You’re going to be issued an opportunity to be on the field and showcase your talent and when it comes to familiarity, regardless if you know a coach on the staff or know anybody, it’s an opportunity to go out and prove yourself. So that’s what I’m excited to do. I’m excited to come help this team win some football games.

Q: Why do you think you weren’t as successful last year?

Jennings: I always take ownership. If things go well, it’s the offensive linemen. If things go bad, it’s because I didn’t do a good job. That’s my mentality. That’s how I’ve always been since peewee football. It’s not going to change now. As an offense, we were not clicking on sync as we wished we could have, should have. But that’s all in the past. We can’t go backwards at all. I’m excited to be a Raider. I’m excited with what we’re going to do.

Q: When you were put on injured reserve in 2011 with a knee injury, did you reinjure that knee the next season?

Jennings: Did I reinjure the knee in the next season? Yeah, I had a little setback, but it was nothing significant to miss a heavy dose of game time or anything. I’m 100 percent healthy. I came out of the season completely healthy and I’ve been healthy the whole off-season. All injures are in the past. That’s a done deal. That’s washed away. And again, as I signed the contract and I talked to Coach, I’m really looking forward more than looking what happened, what should have happened, what could have happened. We’re looking at what we can control.

Q: How would you describe yourself as a running back? Lot of people want to put labels on backs whether they’re a power guy, a shifty guy, a zone-running scheme guy…how would you describe yourself if you had to?

Jennings: I like to describe myself as a complete back. I’m a back that can protect the quarterback, pick up an offense, a running back that can catch out of the backfield, a running back that can get you first downs, a running back that can get you the long plays, an every down back. As long as I’ve been playing the game, I’ve been practicing to become a complete back and that’s what I hold myself to.

Q: What were your impressions of Darren McFadden from afar?

Jennings: He’s explosive. I played him two years the last four years, getting a chance on the opposite sideline to watch him. He’s explosive, a patient runner, he knows the game and I’m excited to work with him.

Q: Did Maurice Jones-Drew give you any tips for living out here in the Bay Area?

Jennings: Me and Maurice, me and him are real good friends. During the off-season my first few years in the off-season, we lived with each other down in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We trained with Pete Bommarito and we got a chance to get to know each other real well. I lived with him prior to the draft. So that’s a long dear friend of mine. He’s talking trash. If you know anything about Maurice, he’s always got something smart to say. But he wished me well, wished me luck, and let me know I have a connect in Oakland if I ever need an extra family of support. Everything is on the up and up. We’re excited and Maurice wishes me well. He called me and was the first to tell me as soon as free agency started, he said, ‘Rashad, I’ve been playing the game for awhile. I know what kind of talent you have and you’re going to get your chance again somewhere and I know what you’re going to do. So just be patient.’ Me and Maurice got a real good connection.

Q: What was your impression of the Raiders just as an organization from afar too? If somebody talked about the Oakland Raiders, what popped into your head?

Jennings: Tradition pops in my head. Excellent, great fan base pops in my head. Eager and hungry team pops in my head. I think about blue collar, dirt, fighting, dirty yards. I think about backyard football when I think about the Raiders.

Q: You said you think of the Raiders as being a gritty type team. That seems to fit the mold of a lot of the players they’re signing lately, under the radar, hard working, nose to the grindstone type of guys. Is that how you would describe yourself?

Jennings: Yeah, I’m always hard working. I don’t pay attention where I’ve ever been on anybody’s radar, from high school to college to pros because it’s irrelevant of the work you have to put in. I’m a firm believer in when opportunity presents itself, it’s too late to prepare for it. I’m the type of person that takes this game very serious. I stay in shape year round and I’m a blue collar, hardnosed, downhill kind of guy. I’m looking forward to being in that environment where it’s already expected.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Kiffin was the play caller while he was here. Cable stripped the play calling duties from Knapp after just 4 games. Took that job upon himself. Why do we have to re-live this?
    $$$$$$$$$$

Cable aka the fat monkey thought knapp was useless too.
    How bad do you have to be for Cable to take over play allying?
    We already relived this BS when we hired him AGAIN.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Guest123 Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:16 am
    Next month I’m going to meet coach Schiano at the Bucs stadium. Wife signed me up for an “all pro dad” event and includes a meet and greet with some of the players. Maybe I’ll ask coach Schiano what he thinks of Freeman then.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Your kids are bucs fans?

***

@G123

Ask him what he thought about the Raiders run defense (ShoNasty, Bryant, Kelly, Tollefson, Wheeler & McClain) all players purged from that disaster of a front 7 – plus guys like Huff, Lee, Giordano in the secondary

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

That’s a good question RR. Ask him what he thinks of Reggie and DA too?

• SnBG

April 15th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    He was hired in the beg of January. How much time does he need?

It takes time to hire someone with only one year experience of being a Coordinator, then allowing that guy to hire all of his golf buddies
    ///////////////////
    By the time they were hired all of the good OC’s had been scooped up or didn’t want to come to Oakland

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Ask him if he wants a good OC like Knapp? He has talent on that team, so I’m sure he can use a guy like Knapp.

• guest123

Your kids are bucs fans?

^^^^^^^^^

@ Raider O

Still young enough to not care. I suppose they will be Buc fans someday. The oldest is 11 yo.

They ask me why I’m a Raider fan living in Tampa. Do they ever win any games? It’s a tough question to answer.

Plus I get to hear all Bucs fans tell me over and over how they kicked our arses in 03.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Weak draft.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:32 am
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    He was hired in the beg of January. How much time does he need?

///////////////////

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

- Again, Reggie was hired in the beg of January!!!
    - your link doesn’t show dates

• The_Judge37

SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:32 am
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    He was hired in the beg of January. How much time does he need?

///////////////////
    ——

Reggie was hired a month after the Raiders season ended. He’s the one who took so long to hire a HC even though he only interviewed like 4 guys. So who’s fault is that?

• dr_robert

Ohioraider Says:
    April 14th, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 12th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hmm. Since the Flynn trade, I have settled on Fisher and have explained why.

I hadn’t seen many saying that. It was all about star and Jordan and ansah and warmack, etc.

Now it seems several others are on board. Good for them. Shows they’re thinking.

There are smart people here mixed in with the kids and housewives.
    ————————————
    Second rate provocateur and third rate football strategist.

But a first rate fuktard, doctor.

************

u sound jealous.

• Gdog

You think Knapp’s OC career should have died with JaMarcus? tough crowd. if Peyton Manning lights it up this year, will Knappster get any credit? probably not, but it could lead to him landing another OC job, like McCoy (Sandy Eggo) Peyton pretty much runs his own offense

>>>

He can take over as HC for Denver right now!

Cable aka the fat monkey thought knapp was useless too.
    How bad do you have to be for Cable to take over play allying?

***

@Raider O

my point was, in Knapp’s first stint … judge the man on 4 games (with JaWalrus at QB!) not 2 years

• mistic666

dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Ohioraider Says:
    April 14th, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 12th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hmm. Since the Flynn trade, I have settled on Fisher and have explained why.

There are smart people here mixed in with the kids and housewives.
    ————————————
    Second rate provocateur and third rate football strategist.

But a first rate fuktard, doctor.

************

u sound jealous.

>> whats up skinhead

• dr_robert

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:12 am
    There are no excuses in the NFL, is a common expression the NFL.

Along with

Not
    For
    Long

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

***********

well, since mark davis said he’s happy with reggie and reggie is doing exactly as mark wants him to do, we will see if u can keep ur retarded posts up for a couple more years.

sometimes, u hav to realize ur attempt at a “trademark” and humor was a failure and it’s time to move on.

at this point, ur as funny as gallagher thought he was ten years after smashing his first watermelon.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RR,

Knapp was an OC for 4 games only?!
    Link, source?

• dr_robert

mistic222—just getting some work done, and being right. same old same old.

• J Hill

Offseason workouts start today, eh?

• DutchRaider77

2763.RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:41 am
    Cable aka the fat monkey thought knapp was useless too.
    How bad do you have to be for Cable to take over play allying?

***

@Raider O

_______

True, but Knapp was never a coach who put his players in the best chance to be succesful. He has his offense, not an offense that best tailored to the skill set of his players, Russell’s first pass as a nfl QB was a QB bootleg…

• dr_robert
  • The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 8:38 am
    The ill fated switch to the ZBS was forced on DA by Reggie.

DA wanted to run the spread.

That is why DA was not fired.

It was Reggie’s blunder and everyone around the league knows this.

DA has no ties to the ZBS.

While Reggie’s beloved Packers use the ZBS.

Do the math.

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

============

This is true. Shreg wanted Krapp in here. That’s one less thing I can blame Denise, Shreg’s puppet, for.

• dr_robert

i didn’t care for knapp but u guys overstate hie effect on the team.

• The_Judge37

It’d be nice if Corky could give an update on Jacoby Ford, some one we haven’t heard about all year.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

April 15th, 2013 at 9:37 am
    SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:32 am
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    He was hired in the beg of January. How much time does he need?

///////////////////
    ——

======

Morhenweig, Moss, Tice, & Browles are the names I remember. I was told Moss bombed it. Tice was an absolute insult to anyone with half a brain. Browles was the only guy worth listening to, but none of them were better than Hue…or Cable for that matter.

I don’t think he wanted to hire Tits but figured he was the best interview of a sorry lot.

• dr_robert

knapp’s playcalling left a lot to be desired. that was his biggest fault.

but it’s not his fault the blocking was poor. that was the OL coach and the linemen themselves.

dmc? his own fault for being so one-dimensional and washed up anyway.

• PlunkforHOF

Dr HST… It is obvious that you hate the Oakland Raiders and everything about them.

Why don’t you just come out once and scream it?

Knapp was an OC for 4 games only?!

***

@Raider O

he was only play caller 4 games.

Al Saunders was on staff as OC. Was he Hue Jackson’s play caller? no – big difference

***

@Judge

he still sucks – there’s your update

• dr_robert

Ohioraider Says:
    April 14th, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 12th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hmm. Since the Flynn trade, I have settled on Fisher and have explained why.

There are smart people here mixed in with the kids and housewives.
    ————————————
    Second rate provocateur and third rate football strategist.

But a first rate fuktard, doctor.

***********

i am a first rate provocateur, pro-caliber football genius, and only occasional fuktard.

• The_Judge37

dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    knapp’s playcalling left a lot to be desired. that was his biggest fault.
    ——-

LOL, Knapp was a good OC, just his play calling sucked, but that’s all

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:46 am
    i didn’t care for knapp but u guys overstate hie effect on the team.

========

LOL!
    from 16th to 26th in scoring
    #7 rushing attack to 28th
    9th in O yardage to 18th
    The passing stats went up, mainly due to the games being decided by the 3rd quarter last year.

And yet Krapp got something Hue never had, a full off-season and Palmer/DMC in the same backfield.

• SnBG

April 15th, 2013 at 9:37 am
    SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:32 am
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    He was hired in the beg of January. How much time does he need?

///////////////////
    ——

”””””””””””””””””””
    Look at post 777. Also I’d say that all off the OC had already talked with existing Gm’s and had made there minds up before Jan.

• The_Judge37

2778.RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:51 am

***

@Judge

he still sucks – there’s your update
    ——

Fine, How about an update on Johnnie Lee Higgins paper route. ANything to get a new post.

• dr_robert

April 15th, 2013 at 9:53 am
    dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    knapp’s playcalling left a lot to be desired. that was his biggest fault.
    ——-

LOL, Knapp was a good OC, just his play calling sucked, but that’s all

********

did i say that? what did i SAY?

he play calling and design (the two things an OC mainly does) were suspect.

he wasn’t on the field blocking. he wasn’t running or passing or catching.

the players play.

• SnBG

///////////////////
    ——

”””””””””””””””””””
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    My apologizes, it’s post 2777.

• The_Judge37

Playoffs aren’t even over in January. Find a better McXuse

How about an update on Johnnie Lee Higgins paper route

***

LOL @ Judge. Don’t get it twisted

JLH drives an ice cream truck and he makes more money doing that than Reggie offered him to return

• dr_robert

problems with our offense last year?

knapp’s playcalling and sequencing.

poor pass blocking among g-c-g.

dmc is washed up and they refused to admit it.

receiving group was green and subpar.

• SnBG

April 15th, 2013 at 9:56 am

Playoffs aren’t even over in January. Find a better McXuse
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    OK post 2777. Bet your so blinded by hate you didn’t even want to look at it. God couldn’t reason with you.

• The_Judge37

2784.dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:56 am
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:53 am
    dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    knapp’s playcalling left a lot to be desired. that was his biggest fault.
    ——-

LOL, Knapp was a good OC, just his play calling sucked, but that’s all

********

did i say that? what did i SAY?

he play calling and design (the two things an OC mainly does) were suspect.

he wasn’t on the field blocking. he wasn’t running or passing or catching.

the players play.
    —-

As an OC, you’re only responsible for play calling/design. If that’s what you suck at, then it’s a pretty big deal. Execution of the plays is on the Players and HC, both failed.

• dr_robert

the run game was effective with reece, goodson, and stewart.

just not dmc.

no wr’s could be called “good”.

palmer was under immediate pressure up the middle. this caused him to have to be very quick with his throws and it didn’t allow plays to develop. i thought he did a great job of finding his receiver in a hurry and delivering the ball. at times, it caused him to rush.

• The_Judge37

——-

What does Knapp’s 1st stint with Oakland have to do with your “No Time” McXuse?

• dr_robert

April 15th, 2013 at 9:59 am

*********

this is what i said.

• SnBG

Someone should put together a list of the haters and fire them all! There not logical, just full of hatred for the team, coaches and Gm. No wonder the NFL is backing away from it stadium funding for the Raiders

• guest123

How about an update on Johnnie Lee Higgins paper route

***

LOL @ Judge. Don’t get it twisted

^^^^^^^

Think maybe he got JLH confused with JFORD. JFORD still has to work on his handlebar grip for that paper route. JLH and JFORD will one day wave at each other as the cross paths in a quiet cul-de-sac.

• SnBG

April 15th, 2013 at 10:02 am
    ——-

What does Knapp’s 1st stint with Oakland have to do with your “No Time” McXuse?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Nothing, it has to do with your lame excuse that Reg had a lot of time to find a new OC. It’s clear you’re not reading that post and trying to swing the debate somewhere else.

• Whoknows

How bad do you have to be to have Cable take over the play calling?

• The_Judge37

2793.dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:03 am
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:59 am

*********

this is what i said.
    ——

I know, You said the Knapp effect was being overstated. What i said is that if you’re an OC, and your biggest problem is Play Calling, then is a pretty BFD

• Whoknows

Was Greg Olsen unavailable last year?

• The_Judge37

2777.RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:51 am
    Knapp was an OC for 4 games only?!

***

@Raider O

he was only play caller 4 games.

——

Here’s 2777. What does this have to do with Reggie’s time frame Time? If you want to make a point then you have to aleast explain yourself.