2,891

RB Jennings Q&A on heels of signing with Raiders

Running back Rashad Jennings spoke with the Bay Area media on the same day that he signed a contract with the Raiders. Here is the transcript from the conference call:

Q: What attracted you to the Raiders and what other teams were you talking to before making this decision?

Jennings: We had a few preliminary conversations with Green Bay and Denver and conversations with the Raiders. They called me out for the visit, for the workout, and going over to the West Coast, we got friends and family over there. I looked over all the organization and where they’re headed, where they want to go, and everything they have lined up and I think that it will be a good fit for me to be a part of the organization and help build this team.

Q: Did having Greg Olson with the Raiders play any role in your choosing come to this team?

Jennings: I think any player would say it’s always a thumbs up to be around a coach that’s been around you for a period of time. They know you. They know your work ethic. They know what you’re going to bring to the table. He was the quarterbacks coach in Jacksonville and now the offensive coordinator with the Raiders. That plays a role in being comfortable with knowing somebody, but football, you’re going to be issued a playbook. You’re going to be issued an opportunity to be on the field and showcase your talent and when it comes to familiarity, regardless if you know a coach on the staff or know anybody, it’s an opportunity to go out and prove yourself. So that’s what I’m excited to do. I’m excited to come help this team win some football games.

Q: Why do you think you weren’t as successful last year?

Jennings: I always take ownership. If things go well, it’s the offensive linemen. If things go bad, it’s because I didn’t do a good job. That’s my mentality. That’s how I’ve always been since peewee football. It’s not going to change now. As an offense, we were not clicking on sync as we wished we could have, should have. But that’s all in the past. We can’t go backwards at all. I’m excited to be a Raider. I’m excited with what we’re going to do.

Q: When you were put on injured reserve in 2011 with a knee injury, did you reinjure that knee the next season?

Jennings: Did I reinjure the knee in the next season? Yeah, I had a little setback, but it was nothing significant to miss a heavy dose of game time or anything. I’m 100 percent healthy. I came out of the season completely healthy and I’ve been healthy the whole off-season. All injures are in the past. That’s a done deal. That’s washed away. And again, as I signed the contract and I talked to Coach, I’m really looking forward more than looking what happened, what should have happened, what could have happened. We’re looking at what we can control.

Q: How would you describe yourself as a running back? Lot of people want to put labels on backs whether they’re a power guy, a shifty guy, a zone-running scheme guy…how would you describe yourself if you had to?

Jennings: I like to describe myself as a complete back. I’m a back that can protect the quarterback, pick up an offense, a running back that can catch out of the backfield, a running back that can get you first downs, a running back that can get you the long plays, an every down back. As long as I’ve been playing the game, I’ve been practicing to become a complete back and that’s what I hold myself to.

Q: What were your impressions of Darren McFadden from afar?

Jennings: He’s explosive. I played him two years the last four years, getting a chance on the opposite sideline to watch him. He’s explosive, a patient runner, he knows the game and I’m excited to work with him.

Q: Did Maurice Jones-Drew give you any tips for living out here in the Bay Area?

Jennings: Me and Maurice, me and him are real good friends. During the off-season my first few years in the off-season, we lived with each other down in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We trained with Pete Bommarito and we got a chance to get to know each other real well. I lived with him prior to the draft. So that’s a long dear friend of mine. He’s talking trash. If you know anything about Maurice, he’s always got something smart to say. But he wished me well, wished me luck, and let me know I have a connect in Oakland if I ever need an extra family of support. Everything is on the up and up. We’re excited and Maurice wishes me well. He called me and was the first to tell me as soon as free agency started, he said, ‘Rashad, I’ve been playing the game for awhile. I know what kind of talent you have and you’re going to get your chance again somewhere and I know what you’re going to do. So just be patient.’ Me and Maurice got a real good connection.

Q: What was your impression of the Raiders just as an organization from afar too? If somebody talked about the Oakland Raiders, what popped into your head?

Jennings: Tradition pops in my head. Excellent, great fan base pops in my head. Eager and hungry team pops in my head. I think about blue collar, dirt, fighting, dirty yards. I think about backyard football when I think about the Raiders.

Q: You said you think of the Raiders as being a gritty type team. That seems to fit the mold of a lot of the players they’re signing lately, under the radar, hard working, nose to the grindstone type of guys. Is that how you would describe yourself?

Jennings: Yeah, I’m always hard working. I don’t pay attention where I’ve ever been on anybody’s radar, from high school to college to pros because it’s irrelevant of the work you have to put in. I’m a firm believer in when opportunity presents itself, it’s too late to prepare for it. I’m the type of person that takes this game very serious. I stay in shape year round and I’m a blue collar, hardnosed, downhill kind of guy. I’m looking forward to being in that environment where it’s already expected.

Steve Corkran

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

INteresting statistic. We were down 10 points in ghe 4th quarter for 75% of our games…even the Jacksonville game…In 6 games in 2011 we had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter, other games we had leads, but not 2 scores.

Let’s hope Denise has them a little more prepared this year.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:05 am
    2793.dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:03 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:59 am

As an OC, you’re only responsible for play calling/design. If that’s what you suck at, then it’s a pretty big deal. Execution of the plays is on the Players and HC, both failed.

*********

this is what i said.
    ——

I know, You said the Knapp effect was being overstated. What i said is that if you’re an OC, and your biggest problem is Play Calling, then is a pretty BFD

===========

I think his play calling isn’t his worst attribute(don’t get me wrong he sucks at it), but IMO it’s his failure to play to the strength of his players.

• The_Judge37

—–

Well in his defense, he barely knows how to do one thing, can’t ask him to try to teach anything else.

• raidertay

The more I study the draft. Im changing my draft choice from Floyd to Star.

Star is just way more powerful than Floyd, which is a critical attribute of a DT.

Cant wait to see who The Gut selects.

• SnBG

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    2777.RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:51 am
    Knapp was an OC for 4 games only?!

***

@Raider O

he was only play caller 4 games.

Al Saunders was on staff as OC. Was he Hue Jackson’s play caller? no – big difference
    ——

Here’s 2777. What does this have to do with Reggie’s time frame Time? If you want to make a point then you have to aleast explain yourself.
    ””””””””””””””””’
    COM’N DUDE! Are you forgetting our debate already. I told you there were no available coaches and the ones that were left didn’t want to come here. I gave you links to read.They tell you who was left and when they were hired, you asked for dates, you got them. You’re not even looking at them only coming back with irrelevant comments with no support behind them. Al Sander didn’t want to be here anymore. He went around interviewing with KC. Finally Reg re hired him after Knapp was hired. OK.

• Marks hair

May greg knapp never even visit oakland again. .. Cheers! !

• SnBG

Whoknows Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    Was Greg Olsen unavailable last year?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He served the 2012 Season as Quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Not sure if he was free to come here. Do you know?

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Raidertay Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:14 am
    The more I study the draft. Im changing my draft choice from Floyd to Star.

Cant wait to see who The Gut selects.

=============

Star is ripped in this article saying he doesn’t show enough effort.

I’m leary of taking this guy without a strong team/leadership in place.

• dr_robert

Judge–I’m no knapp fan. He wasn’t dynamic, his play calling was puzzling, and he seems to be more of a student rather than a teacher.

But guys here act like he was solely what was wrong with the offense.

DMc was very bad.

Carlisle, wiz, brisiel, and smith were subpar and at times brutal in pass protection.

The receiving group was collectively near the bottom of the nfl.

It was bad situation.

• Whoknows

************
    “An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission.”

Sounds like Reggie just needed to ask.

• Dakota

Why is it that there seems to be a high percentage of DTs that are labeled as taking plays off or as lazy? Don’t offensive linemen have to work just as hard every play? I know it is easier to see when an o-linemen takes a play off than when a DT takes a play off, but still?

Is it just the amount of effort they have to give to try and get by a blocker that makes them have to take some plays off? I know that when I played in HS, I played o-line and d-line, and yes, I did seem to get more winded playing d-line.

• The_Judge37

—–

Ok, you posted none of that info and still didn’t explain what 2777 has to with the excuse you were trying to validated. I kinda get what’s going on here, no further explination is needed from you. I understand you desperatly want to feel Reggie is doing right and as a Raider fan , i can’t blame you too much. All i’m saying is up your standards and Revoke the Pass

SnBG, it’s not your fault…. It’s not your fault… IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT.

• Gdog

===========

>>>

Making game time adjustments were the worst ever in the history of the Raiders. Its like he decided on a game plan, and if it didn’t work, he just kept plugging away at it with no clue what else to do. It was maddening…

• DutchRaider77

2811.Dakota Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:30 am

____________________________________________________

Dakota, knowing what play is being called is a huge advantage…blocking on the backside of a run play is getting to take a play off.
    -You have to bring it every play on the D-Line
    -You don’t have to use maximum effort on everyplay playing O-Line…

• guest123

2814.

excellent point!

• tonedeezy

Gdog Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:36 am

===========

>>>

____________________________________________________

we were horrible coming out of halftime, and i think that pretty much agrees with your assessment.

• morilla

You should never draft a fatman with a heart problem.

• raiderinparadise

superbowl. boom.

• DutchRaider77

2817.morilla Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:48 am
    You should never draft a fatman with a heart problem.

____________________________________________________

Have you seen a picture of Star?

B.J. Raji is a fat man…Star is bad@$$!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Morilla Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:48 am
    You should never draft a fatman with a heart problem.

===========================================

Star is big, but he is not “fat” in any sense of the word. Dude’s in better shape than everyone on this forum combined.

• The_Judge37

2817.morilla Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:48 am
    You should never draft a fatman with a heart problem.

In our defense, we didn’t know Jamarcus had no heart when we draftedd him.

• SnBG

Dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:25 am

But guys here act like he was solely what was wrong with the offense.

DMc was very bad.

The receiving group was collectively near the bottom of the nfl.

It was bad situation.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Judge doesn’t get it. He’s too blinded by hate. I gave him logic with link support and he tried to change the subject. He’s fired

In our defense, we didn’t know Jamarcus had no heart when we drafted him

***

@Judge

JaMarcus was a svelte 260 lbs when we drafted him

• Whoknows

Reggie has a heart problem? Oh, my bad we didn’t draft him.

• morilla

6’3 – 300lbs = portly.

not too mention the dude has a bad ticker.

• raiderinparadise

Yeah STAR isn’t fat, he’s just a big man, another Haloti Ngata, big polynesian that is light on his feet, very good with his hands and powerful off the ball.

STAR is a great pick if were at #3

Judge got fired from the blog by fellow bloggers?

oh snap!

I better stop with the Laker hate … nah

can’t do it. Go Jazz!!

• SnBG

Just for you Judge repost of 2777
    SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:50 am
    This story was post in Dec.

For some reason post 2777 isn’t being posted so I’ll try it in parts

• J Hill

But guys here act like he was solely what was wrong with the offense.

——————————————————————————

Agreed.

So many plays left on the field despite the bad play calling.

When someone says bad play calling, are you really saying EVERY SINGLE play call was a bad one?

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 11:01 am
    Judge got fired from the blog by fellow bloggers?
    —–

I wonder if this means i can file for unemployment.

• DutchRaider77

@J Hill

I know you were a madden guy (video game) back in the day…do you remember anybody putting in Senacca Wallace on the Seahawks as QB?

So irrating…that is what I thought of when we brought him in.

• SnBG

The second link in my 2777 post will not go thru so seach ….when 2012 nfl oc’s hired…. You will see right on the search page names and dates

By the time Reg was hired most of the OC’s were already hired and by the end of the month the best were all gone or didn’t want to come here. click this link for more info.

Sorry for the inconvenience but that one link with names and dates wont post.

Reggie was an idiot for working out Wallace, but apparently the Saints actually signed him?

you guys are silly!

I wonder if this means i can file for unemployment.

***

Prez Obummer says yes. JaMarcus in the White House y’all !!

• The_Judge37

2828.SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 11:06 am
    Just for you Judge repost of 2777
    SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 9:50 am
    This story was post in Dec.

For some reason post 2777 isn’t being posted so I’ll try it in parts

This is for this year, what does it have to do with Reggie’s time frame last year when he hired Knapp?
    I think i’m through humoring you, especially since i’m now unemployed.

• dr_robert

gil brandt has star ranked #22.

he takes plays off.

he didn’t play in ’09 cuz he lost his passion for the game.

raiders didn’t attend his pro day.

they CONSISTENTLY say they want guys who love the game.

they are NOT taking star.

i think it’s fisher or ansah.

i haven’t seen that the raiders have visited with fisher but they did spend all that time with ansah.

i think i’m leaning towards ansah now.

• J Hill

No, Dutch.

• SnBG

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:35 am
    —–

SnBG, it’s not your fault…. It’s not your fault… IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;’
    I apologize to you Judge. I can see that the post 2777 didn’t get through. Don’t know why.

i think i’m leaning towards ansah now.

***

@ Dr Bob

welcome to the party!!

Option # 1 = trade down
    Option # 2 = draft Ziggy

• Priesttj12

J Hill Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 11:07 am
    But guys here act like he was solely what was wrong with the offense.

——————————————————————————

Agreed.

So many plays left on the field despite the bad play calling.

*******************************
    Naw man! That’s abject incompetence the OC wouldn’t be in the NFL if everything he called was bad. It means the strategy and sequence of plays is ineffective. One play should setup the next and their should be some strategy in terms of tendency and vulnerability of the defense you’re attacking.

• The_Judge37

2834.RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 11:13 am
    I wonder if this means i can file for unemployment.

***

Prez Obummer says yes. JaMarcus in the White House y’all !!

I don’t like what he’s trying to do to my gun toting rights, but i will say this: My 401k is doing good right now, the 1st time home buyers credit was awesome and the stimulus check they did a while back was cool to. He’s put more money in my pocket than any pres i can remember

• inonewordraider

dr_robert Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 11:15 am
    gil brandt has star ranked #22.

he takes plays off.

he didn’t play in ‘09 cuz he lost his passion for the game.

raiders didn’t attend his pro day.

they CONSISTENTLY say they want guys who love the game.

they are NOT taking star.

i think it’s fisher or ansah.

i think i’m leaning towards ansah now.
    __________
    reggie drafted guys last year who’s pro days he didn’t attend and who didn’t have private workouts

and he didn’t take 2009 off because he lost his passion for football, it was to preserve another year of eligility

not saying reggie will draft him, but if the best prospect in the entire draft is there at #3 why don’t you take him

• dr_robert

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 11:17 am
    i think i’m leaning towards ansah now.

***

@ Dr Bob

welcome to the party!!

Option # 1 = trade down
    Option # 2 = draft Ziggy

************

i feel it will be joekel, fisher, or ansah if we don’t trade down.

i doubt very much we are picking floyd and i think star isn’t on the draft board for the raiders.

• dr_robert

bucky brooks:

Unfortunately, I didn’t see Lotulelei play with the same intensity and passion in other tapes I watched. He seemingly cruised through most of the Utes’ games, showing just occasional flashes of supremacy. This is more disconcerting than his brief heart issue, which has since been cleared. I understand the difficulty of playing with tremendous effort as a big man, but I believe a prospect pegged for No. 1 consideration should give me more on tape. I’m also a little concerned that Lotulelei didn’t play football in 2009 because he reportedly lost his passion for the game. Given the challenges and expectations associated with entering the NFL as a top pick, I would worry about his capacity to handle the pressure in key moments. More importantly, I would wonder about his willingness to grind it out in tough times. That’s not enough to drop Lotulelei’s overall grade, but it makes it tough for me to fully jump on board when it comes to his candidacy as the potential top pick of the draft.

• dr_robert

• raiderinparadise

Ziggggggy

• Whoknows

SnBG Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 11:11 am

Sorry for the inconvenience but that one link with names and dates wont post.
    **************************************
    The problem with this whole theory is we now have Olsen who we could have had last year. So to say that nobody was available doesn’t make much sense.

pass on Floyd & Lotulelei. pass on Joekel & Fisher

this draft is about DB’s & pass rushers

Ansah or D-Mil please

• SnBG

For some reason post 2777 isn’t being posted so I’ll try it in parts

I think i’m through humoring you, especially since i’m now unemployed.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I don’t blame you, I have three links one for 2011, 2 for 2012. Can’t get the 2011 to post. It shows all of the OC’s were hired about the same time as the 2012 oc’s were hired. I wanted to show the pattern. When I can repost 2011, I’ll slap you around a little.