Raiders OT Veldheer taking workouts to new extreme

Jared Veldheer always was easy to spot in a crowd, at 6-foot-8, 325 pounds, even amongst his peers on the field in an NFL game. And that was before the Raiders left offensive tackle embarked upon a new workout regime and altered his diet this offseason.
Veldheer since has added five pounds and considerable muscle tone, something he shared on a Twitter picture earlier this year.
“It’s funny how that picture kind of exploded,” Veldheer said by phone as he prepared for the start of the Raiders offseason workout program in Alameda.
The picture shows Veldheer, 25, posing in a gym right after he finished lifting dumbbells. His bulging biceps prompted many to liken Veldheer to The Incredible Hulk.
Veldheer said he is surprised by how much attention he received for that picture. Ultimately, he wants to be recognized for his play as the blind-side tackle for the Raiders.
To that end, Veldheer always seeks ways to improve his strength, mobility, speed and blocking technique. This offseason, that meant following strength coach Mark Ehnis’ advice in the weight room and at the dining table.
“I feel a huge energy boost,” Veldheer said. “That’s gotten me ready quicker for the next workout. I’m just feeling good and I’ve been hitting some of the best weights that I’ve hit here, pretty much in my life. … I’m excited to get to use it all on the field.”
All the while, Veldheer was careful not to get so muscle-bound that it cut down on the mobility and flexibility he needs to succeed on the football field.
“That can happen if you’re not working on the right stuff, for sure, but I’ve been working on a lot of good stuff, a lot of mobility work and proper technique within the lifting,” Veldheer said. “I feel like I’m more mobile than I’ve been. I’m able to move lower. I feel like I’m at my quickest, too.”
Veldheer has started every game the past two seasons and 43 in of 48 in his three NFL seasons.
At times, he has played on a level commensurate with the game’s top left tackles. Yet, he’s never satisfied.
It’s a common sight to see Veldheer working on his technique and working out long after his teammates have exited the practice field.
“He’s the steady-Eddie guy,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said of Veldheer last season. “You don’t really notice him and then, all of a sudden, you look up and you say, ‘Hey, he’s had a pretty nice day.’ ”
It won’t be hard to miss Veldheer this season judging by the recent picture.
“It (reflects) the work that I’ve put in,” Veldheer said. “It’s nice when people can respect that. At the end of the day, it’s not about the picture. It’s about trying to get better and getting stronger, faster and working on the drills I need to get better on the football field.”

Steve Corkran

• Demon Raider

Pryor is garbage. Wish you people would get off his jock. Bray would make Pryor look like a JV QB.

• dr_robert

ANY qb drafted in ANY round has a higher ceiling than Pryor.

That’s a fact jack!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:25 am

——————-
    No schit?

• Demon Raider

I’d still rather trade for Kirk Cousins as the QB if the future

• The_Judge37

Ok, whatever. Either way we’re in no position to develop a QB

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’d still rather trade for Kirk Cousins as the QB if the future
    —————
    Hopefully Reggie is taking notes of your astute comments. Lol.

we’re in no position to develop a QB

***

@Judge

Greg Olson & John DeFilippo + Matt Flynn & Terrelle Pryor = playoffs !?!?

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

KrappyRat probably a little buzzed already, Brahs

The Old Troll doesn’t usually kick his heavy drinking into gear until the early afternoon, right around the time he starts trolling hard

You’ll see all the lame cut & paste jobs, and he’ll probably beg you for a link

That’s just how the Old Troll rolls, holla

MAD RESPECT

• mistic666

If Kirk Cousins were black people on here would be masturbating to into his jersey calling him the next big thing but since he’s not the resident black racists here pay him no attention. what i say is a fact and you people know it

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:33 am

———————–
    You really think so?

If Kirk Cousins were black …

***

LOL, you can tell it’s a slow news day on the blog

• The_Judge37

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:33 am
    —-

And they say only black people play the race card

• hwnrdr

Hey Mammy…if I had a rock!

Humuhumunukunukuapua’a > mistic$6.99

• The_Judge37

If Kirk Cousins was Black, and Demarcus Cousins was White, and they were some how both Cousins, then went out drinking and started Buzzin’, then something something bakers dozens…

• Demon Raider

I think next year that at least 6 QBs will be drafted in the first two rounds.

• dr_robert

A white guy named Demarcus? C’mon.

• mistic666

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:38 am

>. funny thing is your joke statement probably makes more sense than the “serious” statements you’ve made on here previously

@ Dr Bob

you promised to be gone until the draft.. but you never left

what happened?

• Demon Raider

That’s like a white girl named Shaniqua…

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:42 am

I think next year that at least 6 QBs will be drafted in the first two rounds.
    ——————
    Wow, interesting.

• dr_robert

I promised? What are u my mom?

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

KrappyRat probably just had a listing fall through, that’s why he’s in such a bad mood

Just kidding, Brahs! We all know Krappy never had a listing to begin with

BRINGIN’ THE FUNNY CAUSE THE DAWG IS STRAIGHT $

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:44 am

That’s like a white girl named Shaniqua…
    ——————
    If I weren’t such a racist, I’d think that was funny. :-(

Kell isn’t commenting on all this racism and bigotry for once?

turning over a new leaf?

much props!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:48 am

Kell isn’t commenting on all this racism and bigotry for once?

turning over a new leaf?

much props!
    ———————
    My white wife has talked me out of it.

• dr_robert

Without missdick around, race is rarely mentioned.

• mistic666

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:35 am

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:33 am
    —-

And they say only black people play the race card

>> awww you’re the cool white boy trying to be understanding of the black folks. you’re an open book man. Cousins is better than Pryor and Flynn. could be had for a 3rd round pick. just funny how people jump on pryors ball sack when there are better QBS out there that can be traded for right now.

• dr_robert

Alright. I’m out til the draft. Unless I decide not to be.

• mistic666

and yes RM should have traded for Cousins instead of Flynn.

• mistic666

KoolKell Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:50 am

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:48 am

Kell isn’t commenting on all this racism and bigotry for once?

turning over a new leaf?

much props!
    ———————
    My white wife has talked me out of it.

>>> i like white girls too

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Dr_robert Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:46 am
    I promised? What are u my mom?

——–

Nob Bust,

Get out of your maintenance shed and find a real job!

Signed,
    Your Mom

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:53 am

and yes RM should have traded for Cousins instead of Flynn.
    ——————
    Says who?

• Irish Boozer

I say we take Star. I have said it since the season ended. I would also be OK with Fisher, but Star should be the pick. He’s the best player in the draft IMO, and at a position of tremendous need. He also gives us the flexiblity to play a 3-4, which, given our current personell, we are unable to do. Floyd makes absolutely NO SENSE, sinse he is basically a less effective Lamarr Houston. I want Star, but could live with Fisher, Ansah, Jordan, milliner, or a trade down. Floyd is the only pick that would truely make me mad. However, almost every mock draft I have seen has us taking Floyd. Oh well, I’m a life long Raider fan, so if there’s one day I’ve learned to expect to be dissapointed, it’s today.

• R8ER MIKE

?? and who says the Redskins want to trade Cousins ??
    and last i checked Pryor is a Raider.. so hell yeah hes better then Cousins !!

• R8ER MIKE

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:54 am
    KoolKell Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:50 am

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:48 am

Kell isn’t commenting on all this racism and bigotry for once?

turning over a new leaf?

much props!
    ———————
    My white wife has talked me out of it.

>>> i like white girls too

*****************************
    ?? with or without teeth ?? lol lol

• The_Judge37

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:52 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:35 am

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:33 am
    —-

And they say only black people play the race card

——-

I am neither White or Black, just a human being on the planet earth… and Mexican. Arrrrrrrriba!!!

• mistic666

Irish Boozer Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:55 am

>> yeah i don’t get why STAR isn’t slated to go at 3. watching Star on video you see a guy moving double teams back into the QB constantly.

• DutchRaider77

830.mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:53 am
    and yes RM should have traded for Cousins instead of Flynn.

______________________________________________

With RG3 still healing and No guarantees he will be 100%, you think the Skins would risk trading their backup QB who knows the system?

Also, what would be the asking price? Gotta be at least a 3rd or even a 2nd.

RG3 most likely will be fine, but you never know…

Also, if the Eagles draft Geno, you think they trade Foles?

• mistic666

——-

>>> yeah and I’m half italian,half russian, and vietnamese.

• mistic666

DutchRaider77 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:57 am

830.mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:53 am
    and yes RM should have traded for Cousins instead of Flynn.

______________________________________________

Also, what would be the asking price? Gotta be at least a 3rd or even a 2nd.

RG3 most likely will be fine, but you never know…

Also, if the Eagles draft Geno, you think they trade Foles?

>> i don’t know man, flynn had a couple of nice games but Foles AND cousins are better options IMO. RM jumped the gun on flynn. hope it works out.

• The_Judge37

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:58 am
    ——-

>>> yeah and I’m half italian,half russian, and vietnamese.
    —–

Oh man, sorry to hear that. My condolences.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

yeah and I’m half italian,half russian, and vietnamese.
    ———————-
    The Shedog is half spaniel and half poodle.

• mistic666

german, jewish and black. that would be a combo and a very confused person

• Demon Raider

I think that we could either trade for Cousins during the season or after the season. I’m sti holding out hope for a Matty Ice signing….

• R8ER MIKE

>>> yeah and I’m half italian,half russian, and vietnamese.

*****************************
    100% redneck !!

• Demon Raider

I like Foles more than Flynn. I wanted to do a Foles for Pryor swap

• mistic666

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

>>> REALLY MAN???? Matt Ryan? you are an optimist. Raiders need a franchise QB and i don’t see Pryor or Flynn as that.will NEVER win without a franchise QB.

• Demon Raider

Daphne Oz is pretty hot

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Brahs, just popped a huge, full on boner-dawg!

My Blu-Ray copy of Django Unchained just arrived from Netflix. Now I can spank the Lawg nonstop to Kerry Washington.

Plan on only taking breaks to eat and drop turd bombs. Maybe squeeze in some hot tubbing to give my package a little water therapy

This is gonna be so great

Just hope I have enough weiner lube in the medicine cabinet to last me until the Laker game on Sunday

HIP HOP N HOLLERIN’, BIG DAWGS B BALLIN’