Raiders OT Veldheer taking workouts to new extreme

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 at 5:33 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Jared Veldheer always was easy to spot in a crowd, at 6-foot-8, 325 pounds, even amongst his peers on the field in an NFL game. And that was before the Raiders left offensive tackle embarked upon a new workout regime and altered his diet this offseason.
Veldheer since has added five pounds and considerable muscle tone, something he shared on a Twitter picture earlier this year.
“It’s funny how that picture kind of exploded,” Veldheer said by phone as he prepared for the start of the Raiders offseason workout program in Alameda.
The picture shows Veldheer, 25, posing in a gym right after he finished lifting dumbbells. His bulging biceps prompted many to liken Veldheer to The Incredible Hulk.
Veldheer said he is surprised by how much attention he received for that picture. Ultimately, he wants to be recognized for his play as the blind-side tackle for the Raiders.
To that end, Veldheer always seeks ways to improve his strength, mobility, speed and blocking technique. This offseason, that meant following strength coach Mark Ehnis’ advice in the weight room and at the dining table.
“I feel a huge energy boost,” Veldheer said. “That’s gotten me ready quicker for the next workout. I’m just feeling good and I’ve been hitting some of the best weights that I’ve hit here, pretty much in my life. … I’m excited to get to use it all on the field.”
All the while, Veldheer was careful not to get so muscle-bound that it cut down on the mobility and flexibility he needs to succeed on the football field.
“That can happen if you’re not working on the right stuff, for sure, but I’ve been working on a lot of good stuff, a lot of mobility work and proper technique within the lifting,” Veldheer said. “I feel like I’m more mobile than I’ve been. I’m able to move lower. I feel like I’m at my quickest, too.”
Veldheer has started every game the past two seasons and 43 in of 48 in his three NFL seasons.
At times, he has played on a level commensurate with the game’s top left tackles. Yet, he’s never satisfied.
It’s a common sight to see Veldheer working on his technique and working out long after his teammates have exited the practice field.
“He’s the steady-Eddie guy,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said of Veldheer last season. “You don’t really notice him and then, all of a sudden, you look up and you say, ‘Hey, he’s had a pretty nice day.’ ”
It won’t be hard to miss Veldheer this season judging by the recent picture.
“It (reflects) the work that I’ve put in,” Veldheer said. “It’s nice when people can respect that. At the end of the day, it’s not about the picture. It’s about trying to get better and getting stronger, faster and working on the drills I need to get better on the football field.”

who says the Redskins want to trade Cousins ??

***

exactly, Mike

isn’t RG3 rehabbing his knee?

thats the whole reason they signed Rex Grossman & Pat White this offseason. Cousins was their 4th rounder last year, so I’m guessing it would take our 3rd rounder (at the very least) to secure his services

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I like Foles more than Flynn. I wanted to do a Foles for Pryor swap
    ——————-
    How about Foles over Lamonica?

• Demon Raider

Matt Ryan heading into the last year of his rookie contract. Raiders have a sh!t-ton of cap space…. Just hope that Ryan and ATL can’t come to an agree on an extension.

• mistic666

aiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

who says the Redskins want to trade Cousins ??

***

exactly, Mike

isn’t RG3 rehabbing his knee?

>> why didn’t RM send a 3rd rounder to Was for cousins instead of Flynn? i saw more out of cousins.

• DutchRaider77

Everybody really thinks Matt Ryan is a proven legit franchise QB?

His weapons are awesome!

I mean give him the Raiders receivers instead of White, Jones and Tony G. Heck I bet Harry Douglas would be our #1 receiver.

• mistic666

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

>> well Matt Ryan would OAK and Afc west contender. no doubt.

• Demon Raider

NFL then is way different than NFL now

• rediaR

Our only chance of landing Matt Ryan is if he blows off next season because of gay hookers and crystal meth.

• DutchRaider77

Nobody thinks that the Eagles are targeting an OT with their first pick?

Seems Philly’s line was pretty bad last year?

But I never see any mocks with them going OT?

• R8ER MIKE

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

*********************
    sorry to burst your bubble. But Ryan(yesterday on morning drive on sisius xm)said he is staying in Atlanta. said he loves the city and the franchise. also said he isnt looking for the hugh contract like Flacco signed.. wants to keep the team together.

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Alright Brahs, just finished off the first spank session of the day

New Dawg record, about 14 seconds

And that was just from Kerry Washington’s name appearing in the opening credits

AWWWW HELLZ YEAH

• rediaR

DutchRaider77 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    Nobody thinks that the Eagles are targeting an OT with their first pick?

Seems Philly’s line was pretty bad last year?

But I never see any mocks with them going OT?
    —————————
    Philly is the biggest question mark in the draft imo. I wouldn’t be shocked by much of anything.

***

Because he wasn’t on the trade block?

• willy91137

I think prior to be a good NFL quarterback probably not an opened

I don’t think these guys think too much of him he might change their mind this preseason he has been going to a quarterback school I just hope they give him a chance$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• mistic666

Matt Ryan 2012 STATS: 422-615 4719yds 32 tds 14 ints. hes a proven elite QB. there is no debate

• JLofty

Why on earth would Matt Ryan want to leave the Falcons and those WRs, and a legit shot to win SB any time now, to come to Oakland?

Only Answer: SEVERE overpayment. Not gunna happen for several reasons….

• R8ER MIKE

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    aiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

who says the Redskins want to trade Cousins ??

***

exactly, Mike

isn’t RG3 rehabbing his knee?

*************************
    MAYBE…. JUST FUKING MAYBE… BECAUSE THE REDSKINS ARE NOT LOOKING TO TRADE HIM !!!

• Just Win Baby

I see the afternoon goon platoon is in fine form today.

Nobody thinks that the Eagles are targeting an OT with their first pick?

Seems Philly’s line was pretty bad last year?

But I never see any mocks with them going OT?

***

@Dutch

Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles tendon last March and missed the entire season. He’s back now

• R8ER MIKE

lol lol @ RRS # 863…
    couldnt have said it better myself !!

• JLofty

“But I never see any mocks with them going OT?”

Because the talking heads are paid to flap their gums and have words come out.

they are not paid to make sense. Just get eyeballs/clicks/etc.
    …and stay away from gay hookers and crystal meth…

• rediaR

The Flynnchise will make the irrational haters look silly.

• mistic666

R8ER MIKE Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

mistic666 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    aiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

who says the Redskins want to trade Cousins ??

***

exactly, Mike

isn’t RG3 rehabbing his knee?

*************************

>. teams are ALWAYS looking to trade a backup QB. they spent a 4th on him and could get a 3rd or even 2nd for him now. they would trade him.RM didn’t call.

• guest123

^^^^^^^^^^

Not proven. Sorry.

Give Carson Palmer a decent defense, Julio Jones, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzales and he could put up similar stats.

Palmer put up incredible stats when you think about the dregs of talent around him. And you don’t see anybody calling him ‘elite’.

• Demon Raider

I think he is. He’s good enough to take advantage of his weapons. Ponder had Harvin, AD and Rudolph and he still sucks. It’s not all about just having good weapons. It’s about being able to use them. Ryan would be a beast signing. Trade down with Vikes. Draft Eifert at 23 and Justin Hunter at 25 this year and Marquise Lee next year. Explosive passing game right there..:.:

• mistic666

rediaR Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

The Flynnchise will make the irrational haters look silly.

>> i don’t see it man. but i don’t mind being proven wrong

• guest123

LMAO at anyone who thinks Kirk Cousins is for sale.

Sure the Redskins will listen, if you want to pony up a first round pick!

He’s on a cheap rookie deal and the Redskins know what he’s worth. Plus they have their star QB rehabbing and they will likely need Cousins down the line.

3rd round pick? HAHAHAHAHA~

• R8ER MIKE

ok one more time Mistic666
    RGIII is hurt….
    Cousins is his back up….
    Shannarat drafted him as a back up. NOT TRADE BAIT !!
    lol lol using your logic, why not go after Rodgers ??

• mistic666

guest123 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

^^^^^^^^^^

Not proven. Sorry.

>>> WOW man wtf do you want? all good QBS have great weapons. its a fuking team sport!!! palmer never put up stats like what Ryan put up last year. go find them and post them. palmer never won 13 games or won a playoff game. Ryan is a LOT better than palmer ever was.

• Demon Raider

I can see Minny drafting an OT. But the could also go Geno or Milliner.

• mistic666

R8ER MIKE Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

ok one more time Mistic666
    RGIII is hurt….
    Cousins is his back up….
    Shannarat drafted him as a back up. NOT TRADE BAIT !!
    lol lol using your logic, why not go after Rodgers ??

>> the last sentence might make sense to you but not me. rodgers was drafted to replace an old fart. cousins and RGIII were drafted same year.Rodgers and cousins were OBVIOUSLY drafted with different intentions you really are slow minded and seem to have checked your “logic at the door.

• R8ER MIKE

?? Mistic666 ??
    are you stuck on stupid today sir ??

• guest123

Winning a playoff game doesn’t make you elite. You think Tony Romo is elite? He gets paid like he’s elite granted.

The discussion of ‘elite’ begins and ends with Super Bowl rings.

***

@Misty

Link? Source?

• realtruraider

Drafting a RT at #3 just seems like bad value pick imo, we will then be paying him top RT money also.

Bad value all around on picking a RT #3, IF we needed a LT obviously it would be a great pick but we DON’T NEED A LT.

A pass rusher at #3 would be best, Jordan/Ansah. I’m not as high on Ansah as I am Jordan but I would rather take Ansah than take a RT at #3. Star is high on my board also as is Floyd but don’t see Floyd as a good fit for our new multiple scheme.

1. Jordan
    2. Star
    3. Ansah
    4. Milliner

Players I would consider with the #3 pick, obviously a trade down would be ideal.

• Demon Raider

RG3 and Cousins are different kind of QBs. I’d offer up Pryor and a 3 for Cousins. I know we’d have to wait til either after RG3 is 100% or when the season is over.

The discussion of ‘elite’ begins and ends with Super Bowl rings.

***

Agreed!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

mistic666 Says:
    >> i don’t see it man. but i don’t mind being proven wrong
    ======================================================

That goes without saying.

• DutchRaider77

Speaking of QB investments…any word on Ryan Mallet or is that next year NE trades him?

• Demon Raider

Marino not elite? Dilfer is elite?

• mistic666

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

mistic666 Says:
    >> i don’t see it man. but i don’t mind being proven wrong
    ======================================================

That goes without saying.

>>> what have i been wrong is pervertis

• Demon Raider

Super Bowks don’t make QBs elite. It’s the effect they have on their team and stats.

• DennisAllensVisorHOF

Had a great pre-ceremony meeting with Jerry & Steve..

Cant wait til the induction!

They alos upgraded my blog name..

#HallofFamer

• mistic666

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

mistic666 Says:
    >> i don’t see it man. but i don’t mind being proven wrong
    ======================================================

That goes without saying.

>> hey now, marino,Moon, Cunnigham, Mcnabb, not elite. never were.

• guest123

^^^^

@ realtruraider

Ansah’s age (24) and pedigree (didn’t know what American football was till he got his passport stamped) don’t scare you off? I like him, don’t get me wrong, but there just not enough production to trust him at #3 imo.

• DennisAllensVisorHOF

Got to meet Reggie & Raleigh McKenzie also..

Really sharp guy.. We have a great draft strategy!..

• mistic666

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

***

@Misty

Link? Source?

>> common sense after he filled in for RGIII.

• bcz24

****************
    Wait, you are telling me Reggie made a mistake trading for Flynn due to his lack of experience, but you think he should have traded a HIGHER pick for a QB with LESS experience?

Dan Marino & Jim Kelly would trade all those passing yards, TD’s and pro bowl votes for a Super Bowl trophy like yesterday … print that

• guest123

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

^^^^^^^^^

etched in stone. both of them ‘not elite’ in guest123′s book.