Pryor ready to ‘battle’ for starting QB spot

Quarterback Carson Palmer blocked Terrelle Pryor’s path to the playing field in Pryor’s first two NFL seasons. Now that Palmer is gone, Pryor is doing everything he can to show that he is worthy of being the Raiders starter in 2013 and beyond.
“I’m trying to find a way to get better every day, through mechanics, through being sharper on pinpoint accuracy,” Pryor said Thursday in Alameda, where he took a break from the team’s offseason workout program. “I take those things serious to get better and just for the team overall. I haven’t taken a break and probably won’t.”
Pryor is regarded as one of the hardest workers on the Raiders roster. As evidence, he routinely gathers some of his receivers and works out with them at Laney College in Oakland on off days.
He also has spent considerable time during this offseason working with quarterback coaches in an attempt to refine his footwork, reads and accuracy.
It’s all part of Pryor’s quest to go from a third-round pick in the 2011 supplemental draft to a starter in the NFL.
The Raiders traded Palmer to the Arizona Cardinals earlier this month. At the same time, they traded for sixth-year quarterback Matt Flynn.
Yet, coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie are hesitant to anoint Flynn the unquestioned starter, even though they invested two draft picks and $6.5 million in Flynn for 2013.
“Whether Carson was going to be here or not, it doesn’t matter,” Pryor said. “I have to battle.”
Allen and McKenzie said there’s an “open competition” at quarterback, which makes sense given Flynn started only two games his first five seasons and Pryor one.
Pryor is taking those words to heart.
“Like coach says, ‘Cream rises to the top, no matter what. No matter what the position, everyone is going to battle.’ … We need to compete. By competing, you bring out the best in everybody.”

Steve Corkran

• DennisAllensVisorHOF

Marks hair Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    And maybe sf.. plenty of picks if a guy they like falls past the top 10.

—-

For sure..

Its Austin… we gotta get to 12, then pit SF, STL & Minny against each other for Austin.

• Demon Raider

I’d be okay trading down to 7 and getting Star there. Just going from 7 up to 3 would likely cost a 1, 2 and a 4

• DennisAllensVisorHOF

Well guys…and even you trolls..

Being a Hall of Famer is tiring..

So im out for the day.

As always, God Bless.

• The_Judge37

I like the idea someone previously posted on here of Taking Fisher, or one of the top two Tackles, if the clock runs out before we can trade the pick. Then we can either trade Fisher or just keep him

• SnBG

Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    …………………………
    I like that!

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Brahs, I was rummaging through my closet and found my old turntables

Almost forgot I used to be the most hype DJ in all of Inglewood. Fly high, fallen Eagles. Fly high.

Plugged them in and started scratching and before I knew it, there was a knock on my door and a bunch of hizzies cruised in and started dancing lambada-style

Soon we all took off our pants so our privates wouldn’t sweat so much.

My scratching was getting doper and doper and then, unfortunately, the Dawg had to take a massive duece

Party ended and I’m on the pot now, all like HELLA DANG, what was that all about?

WORDY WORD WORD

• Just Win Baby

DHB was the hardest working guy on the team and had a great attitude too. Remember that guy? Where does he play now?

• The_Judge37

207.Just Win Baby Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

On a playoff team

• DennisAllensVisorHOF

Just Win Baby Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

—-

On a playoff team, with one of the best young QBs in the NFL.

#GOAT

• Demon Raider

Lol. Pryor is the DHB version of a QB, just not nearly as good as DHB was though

• SnBG

DennisAllensVisorHOF Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    Just Win Baby Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

—-

On a playoff team, with one of the best young QBs in the NFL.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Playing with Brady will give DHB more opportunities to drop the ball

• Marks hair

He’s with indy

• The_Judge37

211.SnBG Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:54 pm
    DennisAllensVisorHOF Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    Just Win Baby Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

—-

On a playoff team, with one of the best young QBs in the NFL.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Playing with Brady will give DHB more opportunities to drop the ball
    ——-

He said YOUNG QB. And who knows, DHB might have better “Luck”

• SnBG

OOPS! Colts and Luck

• SR Raider

Yep, hard work does not always translate to the field. That’s why I personally doubt Pryor will succeed. But I also can’t fault the guy for trying. Good for him and all of us if it miraculously works out

• Demon Raider

Just deal Pryor for picks and be done with it. Draft Bray in the 4th.

• The_Judge37

Pryor’s flaws can be fixed. Unfortunatly for TP and Us is that they cannot be fixed by John DeFilppo.

• SnBG

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    211.SnBG Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:54 pm
    DennisAllensVisorHOF Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    Just Win Baby Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:50 pm

—-

On a playoff team, with one of the best young QBs in the NFL.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Playing with Brady will give DHB more opportunities to drop the ball
    ——-

He said YOUNG QB. And who knows, DHB might have better “Luck”
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Your right, my bad.Good turn of a phrase. Nice but I doubt it

• poprox13
  • DutchRaider77

So Pryor doesn’t have the skills to play QB?

But Carson Palmer encouraged Pryor to play QB?

Wow, Carson Palmer is one twisted evil $*U#&*, he really hated the Raiders.

• Marks hair

al killed me with his draft picks but I’m still rooting for pryor. id love one more win for the old man.

• DutchRaider77

DHB wasn’t that bad…he would have been a great 3rd receiver on the Raiders. Now he is playing for 1/10 of his salary he made on the Raiders.

• J Hill

I’m still rooting for pryor. id love one more win for the old man.

————————————————————

Me too.

• SnBG

I hope I’m wrong about there being no QB competition. I like Pryor. He should start. We have nothing to lose this yr. Flynn is just a stopgap this year until we draft a QB next yr.

• Marks hair

Chefs deny fins chance to talk to albert..

• SnBG

J Hill Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    I’m still rooting for pryor. id love one more win for the old man.

————————————————————

Me too.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Me too.

• JLofty

funny i dont recall DHB playing the BCS Rose Bowl taking down a highly ranked Pac 12 team…

• SR Raider

Personally I’d rather see McFadden win the rushing title as a final homage to Al, or SeaBass to break the all-time FG record. Preferably both

• Marks hair

Flynn or Tp could turn out pretty good.. its early for both of them.. both haves shown some potential.. I agree wish we had abetter qb coach…

• The_Judge37

228.SR Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    ——-

Really, you’d pefer those individual records over Pryor becoming a Great QB?

• SnBG

SR Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Nice thought but QB is the most important positon so it would be sweeter if Pryor took off. I’d like to see Jano traded for something.

• DKnight007

DennisAllensVisorHOF Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    1 Kansas City Chiefs – [LT] Luke Joeckel
    2 Jacksonville Jaguars – [DE/OLB] Dion Jordan
    3 Arizona Cardinals – [LT] Eric Fisher
    4 Philadelphia Eagles – [LT] Lane Johnson
    5 Detroit Lions – [CB] Dee Milliner
    6 Cleveland Browns – [QB] Geno Smith
    7 Oakland Raiders – [NT] Star Lotulelei
    8 Buffalo Bills – [DE] Ezekial Ansah

^^^^^^^^^
    I can see and hope something like this happens on draft day IF Fisher falls to #3. Raiders need some more picks.

However, I think McK takes Ansah at #7 ahead of Star in that situation.

• Marks hair

Dav forgot floyd. The nfl guys like him..

• SR Raider

If Pryor turns into an elite QB I’d be thrilled. However, if McFadden wins the rushing title, we’ll be a playoff team and major contender this year. Just seems more likely to happen, that’s all

• Demon Raider

I’d like to draft Derek Carr next year

• DutchRaider77

234.SR Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

__________________________________________________

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind seeing a Vikings like season with McFadden playing the role of AP and Pryor looking like Ponder…maybe a little bit better.

• SnBG

Marks Hair Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Not sure why you would say we need a better QB coach. Our OC is known for working with QB’s. I trust his judgement with QB coaches.

• Relentless

Pryor + DMAC(healthy)= Playoffs or SB

Don’t knock it till’ you’ve tried it.

So let it be wriiten, so let it be done.

• rediaR

Star seems unlikely to be a Raider.

• Priesttj12

DHB hit the jackpot…..Luck will boost his #’s they throw it all over the field. If he starts and there is noise he will he could hit it bigtime.

Those rooting against Pryor, keep up the good work.

You’ll need it..

• SnBG

DutchRaider77 Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    234.SR Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

__________________________________________________

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Gents, isn’t this a passing league?

• Marks hair

Carr’s about the same size as flynn. And he gets rattled. But he still has his sr. yr to improve.

• Marks hair

Our oc didn’t choose our qb coach. Tits did

• rediaR

Hey guys. I just returned from the future. Boy will you guys be surprised! I mean 5 Superbowls in a row lead by the Flynnchise? Oh man, it was (will be) sweet.

• Relentless

Mark don’t diss DA, he might tit slap u.

• rediaR

Crap. I hope me posting that doesn’t change the future.

• SnBG

Marks Hair Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    Our oc didn’t choose our qb coach. Tits did
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Yes, correct but DA hired Olson and if Olsen didn’t think John DeFilippo could do the job he would be gone.

• Relentless

Calm down Doc Brown, there will be 0 titles with Flynn not to mention 0 winning seasons also.

• The_Judge37

237.SnBG Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:21 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ——-

I’m sure he’ll work with the Starter, but our QB Coach is known for the development of Jamarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez and now Terelle Pryor.

• Demon Raider

Carr does not scare easy. I’ve watched every game of his since he’s been at Fresno State.