Pryor ready to ‘battle’ for starting QB spot

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, April 18th, 2013 at 1:21 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Quarterback Carson Palmer blocked Terrelle Pryor’s path to the playing field in Pryor’s first two NFL seasons. Now that Palmer is gone, Pryor is doing everything he can to show that he is worthy of being the Raiders starter in 2013 and beyond.
“I’m trying to find a way to get better every day, through mechanics, through being sharper on pinpoint accuracy,” Pryor said Thursday in Alameda, where he took a break from the team’s offseason workout program. “I take those things serious to get better and just for the team overall. I haven’t taken a break and probably won’t.”
Pryor is regarded as one of the hardest workers on the Raiders roster. As evidence, he routinely gathers some of his receivers and works out with them at Laney College in Oakland on off days.
He also has spent considerable time during this offseason working with quarterback coaches in an attempt to refine his footwork, reads and accuracy.
It’s all part of Pryor’s quest to go from a third-round pick in the 2011 supplemental draft to a starter in the NFL.
The Raiders traded Palmer to the Arizona Cardinals earlier this month. At the same time, they traded for sixth-year quarterback Matt Flynn.
Yet, coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie are hesitant to anoint Flynn the unquestioned starter, even though they invested two draft picks and $6.5 million in Flynn for 2013.
“Whether Carson was going to be here or not, it doesn’t matter,” Pryor said. “I have to battle.”
Allen and McKenzie said there’s an “open competition” at quarterback, which makes sense given Flynn started only two games his first five seasons and Pryor one.
Pryor is taking those words to heart.
“Like coach says, ‘Cream rises to the top, no matter what. No matter what the position, everyone is going to battle.’ … We need to compete. By competing, you bring out the best in everybody.”

• SR Raider

RediaR – Get Flynn some all-pro receivers and it just might happen. I can see this being a big part of Reggies plan

• The_Judge37

245.Relentless Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    Mark don’t diss DA, he might tit slap u.
    ——

Actually, Knapp hired him, brought him here his 1st stint with us. I think DeFilppo is his illegitamate Child.

• The_Judge37

247.SnBG Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    Our oc didn’t choose our qb coach. Tits did
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Yes, correct but DA hired Olson and if Olsen didn’t think John DeFilippo could do the job he would be gone.
    ——

So then that’s an early Red Flag on Olson, because DeFilppo’s track record alone proves he can’t do the job.

• The_Judge37

Gents, isn’t this a passing league?
    ——

It is if you can’t run the ball down people’s throats

• SonicRaider

The SI article was good, I didn’t know how bad it really was.

Not understanding why anyone would think Pryor has a shot at starting. It’s not going to happen.
    Let’s see, Flynn has had two starts and Pryor one. In the two starts Flynn had he flat lit it up including setting a record for TD’s by a Packer QB. In Pryor’s one start he threw a bunch of passes with a boat load of air under them, and didn’t seem to read defenses all that well. Oh, but he does run fast.
    So let’s see, we have one guy who can read a defense and make some good throws, or we have a guy who throws up rainbows and runs like hell when he gets confused.

• Marks hair

Rewatch boise or smu.. a few others. He starts leaving the pocket early after getting hit a couple times.

• Demon Raider

Carr has an NFL, he’s accurate and has a good mental grasp of the game.

• dr_robert

“Mommy I have a unicorn and I love him very very very very much.”

“That’s nice sweetheart. But you do know unicorns don’t really exist, right?”

“Yes they do! Mine does. And he’s awesome.”

“Honey have you seen this unicorn?”

“No but I know in my little heart that he exists and he is coming and he is gonna be the best ever! Why are you hating on my unicorn?”

“Sweetheart, I’m not hating on ur unicorn. I’m simply telling u, that as a grown up, I know unicorns don’t exist.”

“Oh u hate my unicorn. I know u do. And ur gonna be really sorry when my unicorn shows up and destroys ur world and u will cower and my unicorn and I will revel in our victory!”

“Sweetie. We are going to see a doctor.”

• SnBG

I’m sure he’ll work with the Starter, but our QB Coach is known for the development of Jamarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez and now Terelle Pryor.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    You can’t judge the QB coach by those guys. Need I say anything about JR. Sanchez isn’t that talented. Pryor we don’t really know. Pryor could turn out to be pretty good. Give the dude a chance.

• rediaR

Relentless Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    Calm down Doc Brown, there will be 0 titles with Flynn not to mention 0 winning seasons also.
    ——————-
    Man, you should have seen the game winning throw to Marqise Lee in the corner of the endzone in the AFC championship game against the Colts. CLUTCH!

• Relentless

Dr I ride my unicorn butt nekked.

• Relentless

RR I also see Marquise Lee with us.

• Marks hair

257 true.
    261. word.

• rediaR

Dr_robert Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    “Mommy I have a unicorn and I love him very very very very much.”

“That’s nice sweetheart. But you do know unicorns don’t really exist, right?”

“Yes they do! Mine does. And he’s awesome.”

“Honey have you seen this unicorn?”

“Sweetie. We are going to see a doctor.”
    —————–
    Oh the irony.

• dr_robert

Yes relentless. And I can imagine what u do with his horn too.

• SR Raider

Where can I buy some of that unicorn glitter? Goes great in the coolaid

• The_Judge37

SonicRaider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    The SI article was good, I didn’t know how bad it really was.

——–

Flynniart looked just as bad in his first start vs NE. His and Pryor’s stats are virtually the same in their debut games, 250yards, 3td’s and 1int Each.

• The_Judge37

259.SnBG Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    —-

So we can’t Judge a coach on their only body of work?

• dr_robert

Judge. Pryor had 150 yards.

• Relentless

Dr i drilled a hole in the middle and i use it to snort a line of blow while im drinking a beer watching the game.

• Demon Raider

Carr has a 65% career completion percentage. In his two seasons as starter, thrown over 7700 yards, 63 TDs and only 16 picks.

• DKnight007

DennisAllensVisorHOF Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    1 Kansas City Chiefs – [LT] Luke Joeckel
    2 Jacksonville Jaguars – [DE/OLB] Dion Jordan
    3 Arizona Cardinals – [LT] Eric Fisher
    4 Philadelphia Eagles – [LT] Lane Johnson
    5 Detroit Lions – [CB] Dee Milliner
    6 Cleveland Browns – [QB] Geno Smith
    7 Oakland Raiders – [NT] Star Lotulelei
    8 Buffalo Bills – [DE] Ezekial Ansah

^^^^^^^^^
    I can see and hope something like this happens on draft day IF Fisher falls to #3. Raiders need some more picks.

However, I think McK takes Ansah at #7 ahead of Star in that situation.

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

Dr_robert Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    “Mommy I have a unicorn and I love him very very very very much.”

“That’s nice sweetheart. But you do know unicorns don’t really exist, right?”

“Yes they do! Mine does. And he’s awesome.”

“Honey have you seen this unicorn?”

“Sweetie. We are going to see a doctor.”

———–

Uh Oh MELTDOWN

• dr_robert

TP is now known as “Sparkles, the Space Age Unicorn” (c)

• Demon Raider

Even opposing coaches call Carr an NFL QB.

• SnBG

Point is, Flynn is a stopgap. He’s not the solution to our QB issue. Just by the fact that Flynn is booooorrrrriiiinnnnng, I’d start Pryor and let him run his arse off if he wants to. It would be more exciting

• dr_robert

Wow. Beeech is really really phaggy.

Make sure u capitalize it. That will be extra irritating. Yawn.

• SonicRaider

Except one looked like an NFL quarterback and one didn’t.

• The_Judge37

269.dr_robert Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:43 pm
    Judge. Pryor had 150 yards.
    ———

He had around 200 total, that’s close enough for the comparison

• rediaR

Dr_robert Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    TP is now known as “Sparkles, the Space Age Unicorn” (c)
    ———————
    I thought he was Glytor

• dr_robert

Relentless. So u took a unicorn and drilled a hole into it (weiner).

And the next word u use is “blow”.

Hmm.

• Demon Raider

I’m gonna compare Pryor to the turd I left in the bowl….

• Demon Raider

Sonic, who looked like an NFL QB? Flynn or Pryor?

• The_Judge37

282.Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    I’m gonna compare Pryor to the turd I left in the bowl….
    ——–

Why would you leave a turd in the bowl? If it’s brown flush it down

• SonicRaider

I didn’t look it up, but Pryor only had a buck fifty. Not the same at ALL.

• rediaR

Irrational Flynn hatred, the new blog passtime.

• The_Judge37

283.Demon Raider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    Sonic, who looked like an NFL QB? Flynn or Pryor?
    ——-

Both looked like backups. Sucks that one of them is going to start for us.

• SnBG

Olsen is flexible he could work with Pryor.

• Demon Raider

I got up in a hurry. Sue me

• The_Judge37

285.SonicRaider Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    I didn’t look it up, but Pryor only had a buck fifty. Not the same at ALL.
    ——

He rushed for 50

• dr_robert

Judge. Now it’s “close enough”. A minute it ago, u said he had 250. U stated it as fact.

Flynns numbers blow pryor’s away. Completion %. Rating. Everything.

Flynn looks like a real passer.

Sparkles doesn’t.

• Marks hair

Yeah carrs good. But he gets rattled. I’m waiting to see his development.

• SonicRaider

Flynn of course…….Pryor looked like he was still in the big ten playing Effing Perdue.

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

No one is more afraid of gays than Nob Bust

Makes sense, he’s the sock puppet of Peemore Bust, who can only yell out “uh, you’re gay!!” when he gets frazzled and smacked around

Totally awesome, Bust. Keep livin’ the blog dream

BEEECH DIGGITY N THE HIGGITY

• SnBG

Flynn…… bbbboooooooorrrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg.
    Pryor…exciting
    Flynn……stopgap
    Pryor….don’t know,could be good.
    Start Pryor.

• The_Judge37

Pryor’s footwork is fixable, Flynniart’s arm strenght isn’t

• Marks hair

A lot of qbs look like shìt their first start. Tp can get better. But flynn looks yrs advanced to me.

• dr_robert

The minute the flynnquisition was made, I said the Palmer hate would transfer to Flynn and of course it did. Thru can’t help themselves.

The excuse for ignoring palmers stats was his “losing”.

What’s the excuse for hating Flynn?

Oh yes. Sparkles.

A child’s irrational love for an imaginary hero.

• Demon Raider

I thought it was funny how Pryor only looked good when playing the bottom feeder teams.

• Demon Raider

Pryor has so much more than just footwork to work on