Ford says he’s 100 percent, ready to roll

By Steve Corkran
Friday, April 19th, 2013 at 10:06 am in Oakland Raiders.

Wide receiver Jacoby Ford msised all of last season with a foot injury. A surgery fixed the problem and now Ford is ready to get back on the field and do what he does best, catch passes and return kicks. Here’s the transcript from an interview with Ford in Alameda on Thursday:

Q: Are you 100 percent with the foot?
Ford: Yes, sir. One-hundred percent, ready to go. Ready to start being able to run around there on the field and I’ll definitely be out there participating full-go.

Q: when were you able to start running?
Ford: I’ve been running really well for probably the last month and a half now, ever since me and TP and a few other guys were able to go to Laney College and just toss the ball around out there. I just kind of worked my way into it from running in regular shoes, then eventually when I started upping my rehab, just kind of transitioned into cleats.

Q: How antsy are you?
Ford: Pretty antsy Just got to home back in on everything and just get back out there and get my feet wet, get rolling again?

Q: When was the realization that this can be a good thing, I can get my feet back under me and rehab this thing?
Ford: I think probably as soon as it happened and I got the surgery, and talked to the doctor. He said it was kind of worse then he thought it was. Just kind of getting that reassurance from him made me feel better that I finally got the problem fixed. I was able to just put it behind me and keep rolling.

Q: Layman’s terms, what was the problem?
Ford: It was a Lisfranc. It was just kind of, my joints were just kind of split a little farther apart than what we thought it was. It’s all fixed up now, though.

Q: Talked to Darren rehab, coming back from it . .
Ford: We both had, his just healed a little different than mine.I don’t know why, but I mean, I’m glad his definitely did, I’m glad he didn’t have to go through the surgery process, but it was just one of those things that just kind of happened, he healed and and mine just kind of healed almost all the way but as soon as it got twisted up I knew what was wrong then.

Q: He wasn’t himself last year for whatever reason, and you were out, two playmakers that had done a lot of big things, scored a lot of TDs, how eager are you both to get back out and add that back to the mix?
Ford: We’re definitely both eager to get back out there, because we know how explosive this offense can be, no matter who’s at the helm or who’s running the ball, who’s going to be catching it, we have a whole bunch of weapons on this team right now on both sides of the ball and on special teams so I think just bringing this whole team together now, and bringing everybody here, just kind of gets everybody antsy and ready to go.

Q: Considering so much of staff is new, special teams coordinator, offensive coordinator, how much do you have to prove?
Ford: I don’t want to say starting over, but I know they’re definitely antsy to see me play, because I haven’t really played in front of them. I’m just going to go out there and let the game come to me like I always do and have fun with it.

Q: How fun being back in the room, weight room, etc.
Ford: It’s fun, last year I just kind of stayed away and when they went to practice then I came in to do my rehab and I would leave just because it was hard to come here and see them out there working because I would want to go out there. I mean, eventually, I started coming around just a little bit more, but just to be back in the swing of things kind of makes you feel like you’re back on the team again.

Q: Spending a lot of your time introducing yourself to new teammates?
Ford: It’s weird. It’s kind of weird. Everybody is still feeling each other out within the first week. I think within the next few weeks everybody will start hanging out a little bit more. We don’t’ really see the defense that much except in the morning when we’re eating breakfast, and then special teams. And then they to meetings and we go lift. It’s kind of hard to hang out with now, or bond with ‘em. But eventually, everybody will get to know each other a little better.

Q: How much interaction with Matt Flynn . . . have worked with Terrelle at Laney?
Ford: Matt just got here and so far he’s been putting the offense together and we’ve just gone through formations and walked through plays and stuff like that. Just little things to help us learn the new system because everybody has to learn it. He’s definitely helping in that process, him and Terrelle.

Q: First impressions of Greg Olson as coordinator?
Ford: I like him. He’s going to be a guy who definitely takes some shots downfield and he’s going to stick to his scheme no matter what. I don’t think he’ll let a defense bother anything that he’s going to do, him or our new O-line coach, Sparano, but they’re both fiery guys and I definitely can’t wait to get out there and play for them.

Q: Before foot happened, you were going to return punts . . . still on track?
Ford: Yeah, I definitely plan on doing it. Punt return and kick return.

Q: How much working with Terrelle difference you’ve seen since last summer before you got hurt?
Ford: Just like his whole demeanor, his mechanics, how he’s handling himself, how he’s throwing the ball. You can definitely tell that he wants it, and that’s something that you want out of a young quarterback like that. He’s hungry, he’s waiting for his chance and I think he’ll get his chance to go out there and compete.

Q: Lost so many guys, salary cap issues, under-the-radar free agency . . . national perspective is still rebuilding . . . what about inside that room?
Ford: In our room? . . . I think we’ll be just fine. I think the front office went and got guys that they believe in, that are going to come and play for this organization this year. Just the demeanor, you can just feel a vibe. It’s different, it’s going to be different, but just a vibe that I get from a lot of these players, I can tell they actually want to be here. And that shows up with our attendance and just voluntary workouts. They’re learning a new offense, new defense too, just as well. Everybody’s here that wants to be here and I think that’s going to lead us into some promising things.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    He read BHP’s breakdown and comparisons of Ziggy to Derrick Thomas, Bruce Smith and Deacon Jones

***

@ROG

Nope. I already gave you the two players I think he compares with

NFL.com’s draft site compares him to Justin Tuck – I don’t see it
    ***********************

I dont see a football player

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    Regarding Scouts like Kiper and other “pro” scouts. If they really had an Eye for talent they’d be working in the NFL. A degree/backround in journalism is what seperates them from the average sports fan.
    ************************

HAHAHA…..funny…I’ll be back

• Dakota

zzzzzzzzzzz

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderRockstar Says:
    whats up with ROG today? laughing gas?
    —-
    Follow the B@uceman Says:
    Commentary today has been at an all time high
    =============================================

Thank you. And speaking for the entire collective, apologies for Rockstar’s missives.

• dr_robert

Inone– wanting him is fine. But all the talk about what if this happens and what if that happens, how can we get star, is just pointless.

My very first thought was teo in the reg season. Cuz I hated McClain. But then he slid.

Then i thought milliner. But that was before Reggie was pursuing CB’s via FA.

Then I thought Geno, cuz I rightly thought he would want his own qb. Then the got Flynn.

I was hoping there would be a pass rusher worth the pick. Then he got carter so I didn’t feel the urgency.

So after Reggie’s FA moves, I looked at the roster and saw that he basically covered his bases and could go after BPA with no reaching.

I settled in Fisher as the guy is like.

But I also k ow there is reason to think it could be Floyd or ansah.

Those three players are the guys with the most signs pointing to them.

Whether I like it or u like it.

Star has had most signs point away from him.

• SnBG

All I know is that we have to get to the QB.Anything that helps us do that would be great
    The need is on the Defense because we were at the bottom in pass rush. Oline was 4th in pass blocking and will get better this year because we’ve moved back to power.Trade down and take an O lineman in the 2nd.
    Next year get a QB.

• Twinkle

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:22 pm

This draft sh!t reeks of the old slave market when it comes down to the inner city black kids.
    =============================================
    What a crock of schit.

Slave market, my azz.

Sloturdo is a college educated, millionaire, ’slave’.

The excuses and rationalizations to explain/justify his moronic and thuggish behavior is an insult to anyone with a brain or an iota of common sense.

He’s a freaking punk that doesn’t want to change.

Tell you something else, even if he got his head on straight, he’d still be a BUST.

He’s too SLOW to play LB in the NFL.

Don’t know if it’s Crohn’s or bad knees or whatever, but the guy can’t bring it.

He’s a lumbering tortoise.

Finished before he even got started.
    *************************************
    Butkus award winner’s, as a rule, don’t usually lack
    ability.Whether his mind could keep up with his athletic ability upon transfer into the NFL is probably
    the key to a successful transition.We are expecting an adult and a lot of inner city black youths are as far from this as can be.It is the nature of the beast.I believe the kid has talent but cannot shake off his
    past.A.Iverson was an example of this but had remarkable talent to lean on.Romac isn’t blessed with
    enough talent to carry him through apparently.Yet the Ravens took a flyer on him….Ozzie is not one to get fooled….he was raised the same way.My point is really this Romac didn’t work out for us….hating on
    him for it does not help in any way.

• eastoaklandraider

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:28 pm

***

@ROG

Nope. I already gave you the two players I think he compares with

NFL.com’s draft site compares him to Justin Tuck – I don’t see it
    ***********************

I dont see a football player

———–

Have you watched a tape on him dude can move and seems to have good football acumen.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    ….that’s why you have added yourself to a bz’s pucci exactly ZERO times…
    ====================================================

I must be out of the loop. WTF does this mean?

• DKnight007

SnBG Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:35 pm
    Next year get a QB.

^^^^^^^^
    Team needs legit LOOONG pass rushing DE’s or pass rushing OLB’s…not short armed undersized DT’s like Floyd.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Sounded out phonetically, it does make sense.
    Anybody else noticed that phonetics isn’t spelled phonetically?

• BabySlash

What is the difference between human beings and animals ? Humans can reason while animals act based on instinct and environmental conditions.

Slo makes millions, shoots a gun next to some guy’s head, then gets arrested for acting the fool with the cops, who are watching him because of his previous thug behavior , he threatens the coach then gets cut and gets a 700 K one year gig and claims he’s changed and will never to back to Decatur again, then gets busted there a week later ?!?!

He should have no beef with the “Man” as he already beat the man by making millions. In stead of using his wealth and fame (which he got by playing a mere game) he decides being a punk is more important. That is pathetic.

• dr_robert

Judge–ur wrong about kiper/mcshay.

They aren’t journalists who are basically fans with journalism degrees and press passes

They run scout services. It’s how they started.

It’s very difficult to project exactly what teams will do but they generally get the top players correct.

Sometimes a team (like the raiders) will go wildly out of the lines, but the boards are made from not just their own scouting but from I do they gather from all sources, including other scouts, team insiders, agents, etc.

In other words, it’s not their imagination that Joekel, fisher, ansah, Jordan, milliner, star, and Floyd are generally considered the top 7.

When the draft happens, those 7 may not go top 7 but it will be close.

Has my choice changed? Of course. It’s changed by what I’ve seen leading up to the draft. Same as the draft boards of most scouts and teams. It’s a fluid process.

• Fonetiks

Too early?

• eastoaklandraider

Millner was never gonna be the pick and neither was Geno, you were way off base on those.

Eric Fisher has visited three of the teams in the top five

Jaguars, Eagles, Lions, Browns, and Panthers.

I don’t see Raiders on there!!

• dr_robert

NEEDING a pass rusher doesn’t mean there is one worth the third pick.

Never reach. BPA.

My order of preference?

Fisher
    Floyd
    Ansah

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

FABIAN WASHINGTON ‏@FABEWASH31 17h
    Rolando McClain you have to be kidding me SMDH
    Retweeted by Steve Corkran

DeMarcus Van Dyke ‏@D_VanDyke8 16h
    Rolando, stop going home brah please
    ======================================================

Fabian weighing in?

Star Lotulelei is linked to the Eagles more than any other team..

• BabySlash

NFL a slave market ??? I’d rather be a slave for millions than 100 K a year. We’re all slaves in some way because of our responsibilities to family, children and jobs. Real money (millions) can buy convenience and freedom. If beating others up and fighting police is freedom then we’re doomed. Best way to achieve freedom is to be happy and help others who are less blessed.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah believes Florida DT Sharrif Floyd could fall out of the top-ten picks if Oakland doesn’t take him at No. 3.
    We’ve been getting the same vibe; and don’t believe the Raiders will take him at 3. The teams picking at Nos. 4-9 either “don’t fit Floyd scheme-wise,” per Jeremiah, “or they are set” at defensive tackle. We wouldn’t be shocked if Floyd fell all the way to the Panthers at No. 14. He only appeals to 4-3 defenses.

• RaiderDebo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Phenomenal piece! Tried to tell the dork haters years ago how the JR narrative was going to change. Think I’ll go with Eric DaCosta on this one.

• The_Judge37

3120.BabySlash Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    ——

Mingo Unchained?

Dion Jordan visits with the Lions, Eagles, Jets, Bills & Browns

We wouldn’t be shocked if Floyd fell all the way to the Panthers at No. 14.

***

Me neither, BNB

thanks for sharing!!

• Twinkle

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Twinkle Says:
    Pman…great link!As I said earlier,this was not to condone the man’s behavior but merely an attempt to
    rationalize what occurred.
    =================================================

That link didn’t even mention the vicious hits and tackles on Amendola(sp?) and Sproles. It was another one, I guess. Which are fine. That is kinda what you want your linebackers to do.
    But after 3 years, if those are the only two you remember, well …
    **********************************
    No I didn’t see either (no TV) but I’m an unabashed
    bandwagon rider so you saw what I did not.I saw plenty of brutal LB play in S&B over the years and I can’t imagine Romac as a spot on the radar in comparison.
    Never forget this team’s legacy…..the entire NFL was afraid of the D and with damn good reason.The media
    glorifies the men in black and the league vilifies us.
    I can’t blame a kid for following the script.

• BabySlash

I was worried that Slo would emerge as a force with Oz and a top notch organization behind him. Glad he failed

what’s up Debo?

who should the Raiders draft at #3?

• SR Raider

Fisher played in the Senior Bowl, so the coaching staff got a good look at him then. Just as good as a visit

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

For what it’s worth.

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 9m

The 49ers’ 1st-round wild-card (move up?), the Raiders’ No. 3 likelihood (Sharrif Floyd or best OT): Because o… http://bit.ly/13PrLzJ

• dr_robert

east–my talk of milliner was based mainly on reggie’s talk of needing corners so bad. once he started pursuing them in FA, that changed things.

geno? easy. my prediction that reggie would want his guy at qb. i was right.

as we go thru initial rounds of FA, and closer to the darft, the waters get clearer and it’s easier to prognosticate.

i have to say Fisher’s lack of a visit is noteworthy.

reggie DID attend floyd’s pro day.

and the raider DID put ansah thru the gauntlet.

hmm.

i’ll say floyd at 3 or ansah in a trade down.

fisher’s lack of a visit changes things.

• Twinkle

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:53 pm

3120.BabySlash Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    ——

Mingo Unchained?
    ***************************************
    We can see this from our upbringing….trying to say that others cannot.More often than not,an influx of
    wealth is, at the very least, a curse on those not prepared for it.

• dr_robert

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:39 pm
    Follow the B@uceman Says:
    ….that’s why you have added yourself to a bz’s pucci exactly ZERO times…
    ====================================================

I must be out of the loop. WTF does this mean?

**********

it means he’s a moron.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Twinkle Says: **********************************
    No I didn’t see either (no TV) but I’m an unabashed
    glorifies the men in black and the league vilifies us.
    I can’t blame a kid for following the script.
    ===================================================

Thought you were in New Zealand.
    Now you’re in Decatur, GA.
    Without a TV?
    But an internet connection?
    What’s up?

• Marks hair

Trade with mia & minn

• dr_robert

Twinkle Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 2:00 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:53 pm

3120.BabySlash Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    ——

Mingo Unchained?
    ***************************************
    wealth is, at the very least, a curse on those not prepared for it.

**********

there are lots of poor black kids who get rich and don’t get in trouble.

i will agree that culture issues are a factor.

but u have to be responsible for urself.

mcclain is a jackazz.

• Twinkle

BabySlash Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:56 pm

***************************
    no sh!t…..nothing like a first rounder leaving and kicking arse somewhere else to rub salt on a wound.

• RaiderDebo

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    what’s up Debo?

who should the Raiders draft at #3?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I want Jordan or Ansah. I know the war daddy DEs can be rendered useless against the read option (Matthews against SF and JPP and Ware against Washingron). But we don’t face it in our division. Would love either of them, but would take Jordan over Ansah. Don’t want to see a trade down. Why haven’t you started a list yet??

• dr_robert

hey debo–

“I blame myself,” Russell said. “I could have given football more. I could have done more as a professional. There just could have been more film room, more classroom. I could have kept my weight down to become an overall better player. There’s a lot that comes with that No. 1 pick. No matter what, you have to be willing to take it. I wasn’t putting out No. 1 results.”

and u always said it was the org’s fault.

russell says it was his fault.

• Marks hair

We had fish at the sr bowl. We know him. We just don’t need another lt.

• Twinkle

dr_robert Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 2:03 pm

mcclain is a jackazz.
    ***************************
    Agreed.
    We need not lower ourselves to hating on the kid for that
    imo

• dr_robert

RaiderDebo Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 2:04 pm
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    what’s up Debo?

who should the Raiders draft at #3?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

*************

u heard him folks.

cross jordan off ur wish list. and put a red flag next to ansah.

if this clown likes them, u KNOW it’s a problem.

• dr_robert

Twinkle Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 2:03 pm

mcclain is a jackazz.
    ***************************
    Agreed.
    We need not lower ourselves to hating on the kid for that
    imo

************

i don’t hate him as a person. when he talked of God and redemption, i was pulling for him. but he’s always gonna be dissed by raiders fans cuz he was a bum and didn’t care. blamed others.

and he obviously hasn’t grown up yet. hopefully he will someday.

Why haven’t you started a list yet??

***

@Debo

I passed the torch to Purvis, bad move I know.
    He has the time to take care of it.

I think he may have punted to Violent Hands, who hasn’t been seen for weeks

if this clown likes them, u KNOW it’s a problem.

***

mcclain is a jackazz.
    ***************************
    Agreed.
    We need not lower ourselves to hating on the kid for that
    imo

************

and he obviously hasn’t grown up yet. hopefully he will someday.
    ***************************
    Agreed….sorry episode in all manifests.

• eastoaklandraider

dr_robert Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 1:58 pm

geno? easy. my prediction that reggie would want his guy at qb. i was right.

i have to say Fisher’s lack of a visit is noteworthy.

reggie DID attend floyd’s pro day.

and the raider DID put ansah thru the gauntlet.

hmm.

i’ll say floyd at 3 or ansah in a trade down.

fisher’s lack of a visit changes things.

———

Millner was never gonna be the pick. RM wants big uglies not skill players.

Geno was never gonna be the pick, Geno is not good enough to go that early RM was gonna dangle him as trade bait, same with Fisher, The first thing RM would do first and foremost is trade down that should have been the first thing you said if you were so smart.

If there is no trade down available RM will go for a big ugly and there are only 2 players worthy of going that high, Star & Fisher.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Aquire a 2nd round pick! Draft Justin Hunter

• RaiderLen

Millner was never gonna be the pick. RM wants big uglies not skill players.
    —————————————–
    Agree.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago.

Reggie builds from the inside out.

His words. Not mine.

Actually, he said exactly….”You win upfront.”

• RAIDERMAN99

===============================================
    Sorry, this ‘inner city black youth’ excuse doesn’t cut it.

Sloturdo is a college educated, millionaire.

Sloturdo deserves ZERO respect or sympathy.

The excuse making and rationalizations made in his behalf are beyond ridiculous.

Expact an adult ?

Damn straight.

It’s called having self responsibility.

I guess it’s too much to expect Slo to grow up and behave like an adult and stay out of trouble.

Well, at least for some people it is.

Maybe that’s why he hasn’t changed his ways.

Hope Slo saved some of that RAIDER money, bcz the ride on the gravey train is over.