McKenzie: Raiders ready to ‘compete, win ball games’

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 at 4:58 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The popular perception is that the Raiders are akin to an expansion team with all the purging of veteran, high-priced players the past two offseasons. Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said he has a different slant on his team clearly in the midst of a major overhaul.
“We’re trying to compete now,” McKenzie said Tuesday in a news conference with Bay Area media in Alameda. “How does that result will depend on the players’ performance on the field, but we’re trying to add players that can help this team win, help this team compete.
We’re going into this season to win ball games. Now, you can call it expansion, it’s a lot of different faces, I agree with that. But, to say that we’re just going to take our lumps and play ball, that’s not the goal here. The goal here is to compete each and every week and win games.”
For now, it appears as if Matt Flynn will be the quarterback of the team that McKenzie expects to do more than show up and take its lumps until more help arrives.
McKenzie said Flynn will enter the organized team activities as the No. 1 quarterback. However, Flynn is going to have to hold on to that distinction throughout training camp through strong play, for he is going to be pushed by third-year player Terrelle Pryor and whoever else the Raiders draft or sign in the coming days or weeks.
“As we begin the OTA period, we’re goin to begin with Matt Flynn,” McKenzie said. “Now, the quarterback who will be on the roster from that point on, they will all compete. So, and like I said, guys, every position, it’s all about getting players that can play and compete.”
McKenzie learned a thing or two about Flynn from their four years together in Green Bay, when Flynn backed up Aaron Rodgers — Flynn started only two games — and McKenzie worked in the personnel department under Ted Thompson.
During that time, McKenzie got a pretty good feel for what Flynn is about as a person and a player, beginning when McKenzie scouted Flynn at Louisiana State.
“Two things that I feel are important, and that’s presence as far as leadership and how to move a team down the field and knowing how to do it,” McKenzie said. “He has all the intangibles. He can play the position. He can throw the ball and he’s going to be a solid quarterback.
“Now, how good can he be? We’ll figure that out but he’s got a chance to be a good, solid quarterback. He hasn’t played a lot of games, so that’s what’s ahead of him is to see what’s ahead of him. He’ll get in here, compete, and try to show his team and coaches if he can play. The coaching staff probably doesn’t know. I’m probably the guy who knows him best, and I feel good that he can play the position.”
With so much turnover on the roster, McKenzie said players are spending just as much time getting to know the guys next to them in the locker room.
Before long, that will sort itself out and the Raiders will field a close, talented team. McKenzie said he is hopeful that manifests itself sooner rather than later.
“It started when I got here, to be honest with you, what I had to do with the roster,” McKenzie said of the team reflecting his philosophy. “So, when do you see it start its transformation? Hopefully this season. That’s my hope. So you’ve got a good offseason and another draft and things that come into place. You’ve got a new coaching staff, as far as four coaches that we swapped out. So, hopefully, it begins to show this year.”

• elraidmanhattan

Dr. Houston plays safety right?

• dr_robert

Lol. The rock head dunce calling all the pros idiots.

Keep talking dumbbell.

• dr_robert

I just did dummy. U should do more listening and less yapping like a b1tch.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

NFL_Draft_Insider ‏@NFLDraftBites 2h

#Raiders Reportedly have interest from #Rams. Don’t Buy into the Smoke Screen. Legitimate Trade partner remains #Dolphins.

Dr_robert Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    An obvious phag and a laughing hyena with an 8th grade education hooking up to tell “jokes” about the smart guy.

Yep. And the clowns keep lining up.
    *********************

You let others tell you that you are smart…not saying it yourself

So any prospects up there in Sac?

• elraidmanhattan

Dr. I was obviously joking but you want to go one on one let’s do it I can blow you away with raider facts in my sleep

Dr_robert Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    Lol. The rock head dunce calling all the pros idiots.

Keep talking dumbbell.
    **************************

Get em COACH!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Might be B.S. but

NFLDraftBites Hearing #Raiders actively shopping Darren McFadden. Looking for a 3rd Round pick.” told you guys gone

• dr_robert

Beech probably never played football cuz he was spaz who kept getting hard ons in practice.

And b@uce has an 8th grade education.

It’s good to see them fulfill their hookup fantasies though.

We all saw it. I’m glad to help.

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    *********************

Elraid…I must step in….RobertaMR is a coach so you dont really stand a chance

• PlunkforHOF

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    NFL_Draft_Insider ‏@NFLDraftBites 2h

************************

Rams wanna play? Come on give me your picks…..funny when I mentioned this two months ago my dawg Vegas Raider said no way would they

• DJ Johnny

Did I miss it? What is the “big news” that Cork talked about in the chat?

Is it that teams are interested in trading with us?

That’s big news?

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    Might be B.S. but

*****************************

Bo just came

• elraidmanhattan

I said if Reggie gets a good trade dmac gone. He wants to completely remake this team. Branch, veldheer houston only true Al survivors

• elraidmanhattan

Really bman, so my years as a diehard don’t. Count?

LOL Raiders trading dmac for a 3rd rounder is all time steal like Pats with Moss…..and yet people talk bad on Al?

• PlunkforHOF

Narcissism is a term commonly used to describe those who seemed more concerned with themselves than with others. It is important to distinguish between those who have narcissistic personality traits and those suffering from narcissistic personality disorder. Those with narcissistic personalities are often seen as arrogant, confident, and self-centered, but they do not have the exaggerated or grandiose view of their own abilities that characterizes narcissistic personality disorder.

• elraidmanhattan

A’s first and second no outs

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:34 pm
    Really bman, so my years as a diehard don’t. Count?
    *********************

Not against a coach like RobertaMR….I hear after this year San Jose State is bringing him in as DC

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    A’s first and second no outs

*****************************

Beat goes on

PlunkforHOF Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    *******************************

Sounds like our friend and pal MR

• elraidmanhattan

Oh ok bman, got it i will behave appropriately and show due respect…fraud Dr

• elraidmanhattan

13 a d still going

• DJ Johnny

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    *********************

Elraid…I must step in….RobertaMR is a coach so you dont really stand a chance

I wondered where the heck MR has been but Dr. Rob isn’t MR.

You guys forget that MR’s signature characteristic was his massive hatred for Al Davis. I’ve seen Dr. Rob defend Al on occasion. There’s no way MR would’ve been able to contain his disdain for Al no matter what character he’s playing.

That being said, whatever did happen to MR/ Sully?

13-0 A’s

***

@RM99

did you see this?

+5 BCP calling my name, sucka!!

DJ Johnny Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    *********************

Elraid…I must step in….RobertaMR is a coach so you dont really stand a chance

I wondered where the heck MR has been but Dr. Rob isn’t MR.

That being said, whatever did happen to MR/ Sully?
    ******************************

Nice to know you have been thrown off the trail….Roberta is MR….over the years he has had a few aliases that talked well on al Davis

• Paul8148

did the NFL tamper to prevent Raiders moving up in 83 so they can trade for Elway?

• PlunkforHOF

DJ Johnny Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    Follow the B@uceman Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    *********************

Elraid…I must step in….RobertaMR is a coach so you dont really stand a chance

I wondered where the heck MR has been but Dr. Rob isn’t MR.

That being said, whatever did happen to MR/ Sully?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

DJ.. I’m not fully convinced that Dr Narcissist is MR/Sully/Albert. I have a suspicion that the small “r” Rob (if he truly is a different person) may be MR. I was always able to send MR, especially as Albert into screaming rages. I’m fairly sure he’s still here, he’s just gotten a little better at disguising his syntax.

• DJ Johnny

Plunk, Albert was supposedly from Chicago and seemed to know a lot of stuff about the city that seemed liked he really lived there.

Remember a guy called Klas Tjorborn? It was thought HE was Albert…and if MR was Albert than we have sock puppets on top of sock puppets…Lol.

• DKnight007

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Might be B.S. but

^^^^^^^^^
    Nope. Trade DMC for a 2nd rounder and 4th….yes…for a only a 3rd nope.

Or trade DMC for a 2nd in this years draft and another 2nd in next years draft maybe.

• DKnight007

Reggie says he has received plenty of calls already about his #3 pick.

I like hearing that, but a deal will depend on which O-Linemen between Joekel, Fisher and Johnson is there at #3.

I also think Reggie will get calls if Jordan is available at #3.

• DKnight007

QB’s Reggie may consider.

Bray, Manuel, or Dysert maybe…

• RaiderFredinDallas

Paul8148 Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:43 pm

————–
    Yes they did. Its was the beginning of a long conspiracy against Al and the team. I lived in LA at the time.

• RaiderFredinDallas

Joeckel
    Fisher
    Floyd or Star

• Sweep The Leg.

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    Is anyone else mumbling this as they read along?
    ==============================

HA-HA!!

• dcraiderfan

What the flip is spuds saying, that Flynn is the starter for the practices? Just because Flynn was with the Packers? That doesn’t prove anything! You have first prove the skills at the position! Not saying that Flynn will be the favorite. He has been riding the pine quite a while now. I think that Pryor deserves first rights, if he blows it, then send him in! Maybe Spuds may have a good hand, but will he overplay it with Flynn and every other player who is on the roster come September? Time will tell. Go Raiders!!!

• Gdog

dcraiderfan Says:
    April 24th, 2013 at 1:48 am

>>>

Pryor will be traded for a draft pick so Flynn doesn’t have to look over his shoulder. Kinda like what Hue did so effectively with Campbell.

He will draft the backup QB with that pick. Just my guess…

• RaiderReggie

The Raiders will draft Shariff Floyd DT out of Florida State. Mark it down!! Floyd will be a beast on that D-line.

• DT42

Floyd is a Gator not a ‘Nole! I’d rather trade down and get picks and still try to grab Tank Carradine in the end of the first round.