Allen: `I feel like it’s Christmas Eve’

Raiders coach Dennis Allen took a couple of minutes to take questions on the NFL Network hours before the Raiders are scheduled to make their first pick Thursday:

Q: You had to wait last year until the very last pick on Friday night last year. What’s it like to be preparing for a first-round pick:

Allen: We’re a little bit busier right now then we were last year. I feel like it’s Christmas Eve and we’re waiting for the opportunity to open up our Christmas presents when the draft starts.

Q: What’s under the tree at No. 3?

Allen: There’s a lot of gifts under there, we’ve just got to figure out which one’s for us.

Q: No Tommy Kelly, No Richard Seymour, you need a D-lineman. Is this a defensive line pick at 3?

Allen: I’ll tell you, here’s going to be our philosophy and it won’t ever change from this _ we’re going to take the best player available when it comes our time to pick. We feel very comfortable about where our board is set, what’s available there at No.3, and we’ll pick the best player that we think can have the biggest impact on our team.

Q: How many calls has Reggie McKenzie fielded about the pick?

Allen: He’s been pretty busy. He’s kept his cell phone up to his ear so there’s been a lot of communication about potentially anyone that might want to come up to No. 3 and we’ll let that play out as we go along. There’s still a lot of time left in the day. The great thing for us is we feel very comfortable about where we’re at at No. 3. We feel very comfortable at what we think is going to be available there to us and so we’re just going to sit there and we’ll let the day play out.

Q: Would you like to get out? Logic dictates you need picks, you need players, with so many veterans leaving, you need the bodies, don’t you?

Allen: I think you’ve got to weigh out the cost-benefit analysis at what’s going to be there at No.3 and what we can gain from backing out of the pick. That’s the thing that we’ve got to look at when you look at backing up in the draft.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• dr_robert

I would love the Red Ryder BB gun.

I would accept the pink bunny suit cuz what else can I do?

Just don’t give me the bowling ball to the nuts.

• http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Stay at 3 and take Floyd. The addition of 1 2nd rd pick will not improve the team.
    By the way, who is the fastest in the draft. That’s who AD would pick. lol

Exla lives!!

must have been that gay laker comment, brought him out of the woodwork, lol

what’s up brother?

• 1960AutumnWind

Judge

You say Knapp looks like Olsen but Knapp has more experience than Olsen and you apparently do not even know that Knapp had top 10 ranked offenses in SF so maybe you should just move on to another topic. Knapp and Olsen by the way typically run totally different offenses with Knapp doing a lot of zbs and Olsen/Suparano more pbs and mixed. But I guess that does not matter as well.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

EXlA whats up

• SnBG

Exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    By the way, who is the fastest in the draft. That’s who AD would pick. lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    That’s not bad but the Raiders are going to trade down by using one of the OT’s as bait to get more picks.

• The_Judge37

I am not going to relive this again. Look up the Ranked offenses for SF and Atlanta when he was OC. Knapp is gone do not want to talk about it but you act like we hired unqualified people like Shell did in 2006 when he hired BandB Walsh as OC or something.
    ——

I’ve looked em up already, Knapps Offense consistently got worse every year after his 1st. Never lasted longer than 3yrs ANYWHERE.

What i’m saying is that from the looks of it, we did in fact hire another unqualified OC like B&B. Nothing reassuring in Olsen’s resume to prove otherwise.

But yes, i agree let’s stop beating the Knapp’s horse.

• 1960AutumnWind

TxRaider210 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    Gregg Knapp is now officially a water boy, a hire out of pitty since Manning doesn’t need ANY of his advice.
    ********************
    You mean like Hue in Cincinatti? Look I am not a Knapp fan but the revisionist history crap that we hired some unqualified guy is absurd.

• TxRaider210

Knapp was only here to provide extra hair jell when guys mess up their locks in practice..ok I’m done..

Thought I’d check in and see what everyone was thinking. Hope all is well with everyone. BTW, went to Bruce Gradkowski’s new bar and grill in town and it was awesome. His wife had a baby last week too.

• McFaddens_Sneakers

Exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    By the way, who is the fastest in the draft. That’s who AD would pick.
    ——-
    A high 2nd round pick could bring in another impact player that fell off the first round. floyd could still be there in the 2nd. im not saying he will but il rather take floyd in the second than the first

• TxRaider210

I actually think Hue is fine in Cincy in an assistant role. Knapp or his garbage ZBS just didn’t belong in Oakland imo.

• The_Judge37

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    Judge

———

Same WCO, just diff blocking scheme. While the Blocking should be an improvement. And Steve Mariucci had a top 10 Offense till Knapp got there, then it Reggressed for 3 straigt years before he got canned.

• realtruraider

The legend Bruce Almighty

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

What did I miss? Had to go get some trees (banana Kush).

• Marks hair

AL would pick Ansah

• realtruraider

lol

• realtruraider

Marks Hair Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    AL would pick Ansah

————————————-

And it wouldn’t be considered a bad pick or a reach so………………….

Also Jim Buss needs to sell his share of the Lakers to his sister Jeanne. He will ruin the Laker Franchise.

• Marks hair

I pickin up some gdp and some green crack in a bit..

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

The_Judge37 Says:
    We have no idea he’s NOT Knapp
    ===================================================

He did say he likes to scheme based on his player’s strengths. Might be lip service, but Knapp said flatly, ‘I teach what I know’.

And, seriously, can Olsen playcall worse?

• TxRaider210

O

Whut’s up bro? You tried the Alaskan Thunder Fk yet?

• realtruraider

Some train wreck here

• nwr8r

….. Keep an eye out for RB, Thomas Tyner next year. Gonna be a Baller.

*********

yes he is

• TxRaider210

Marks hair

The green crack is where it’s at bro.

• 1960AutumnWind

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    We could’ve/should’ve brought in Ken Wizenhunt.
    ***********************
    Was he even interested? A lot of guys did not want to preside over the dumpster fire that was the 2012 Oakland Raiders. I mean hungary coordinators or used up retreads sure but the really good coaches wait for more promising situations.

Another Guy that comes to mind is Jeff Fisher but he went to SL instead.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

1960AutumnWind Says:
    =======================================================

I don’t know. He really is amazingly bad for a qualified guy.

I’ll check in tomorrow and groan with the rest of the Blog on the picks. lol. One thing about draft night, It makes me drink heavily.

Go Raider’s.

• The_Judge37

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    We have no idea he’s NOT Knapp
    ===================================================

And, seriously, can Olsen playcall worse?
    ——

He definetly did his Homework on how do avoid everything that got the guy you replaced fired. But whether his playcalling is up to par we have no idea. I doubt anyone was really paying attention to those Lion and Tampa teams, so i’m just judging him off their records.

• nwr8r

RaiderRockstar Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Boom!

Joeckel or Johnson is the trade bait

*******************

Agreed. I think both might be there at three. Take the best offer and trade down.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless 2h

I agree w/ Gruden on this: Tavon Austin is the best player in the draft. I’d take him No. 1 overall & I’d have a Barry Sanders of a receiver
    Retweeted 1159 times

• TxRaider210

I think Knapp is bad enough to possibly jack up some chemistry in the Dungver locker room, sure hope so.

• severeraiderz

Knapp was unqualified. He was the OC the years that Vick put up 900, 600, and 1k yards rushing and that greatly inflated his offenses totals

• The_Judge37

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    We could’ve/should’ve brought in Ken Wizenhunt.
    ***********************

Another Guy that comes to mind is Jeff Fisher but he went to SL instead.
    —–

I don’t know if Reggie ever reached out to him, but Wiz was willing to take an OC job with a Rookie HC in SD so maybe.

• StarUkulele

So we takin DJ Haden?

• McFaddens_Sneakers

Raider O Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    What did I miss? Had to go get some trees (banana Kush).
    ——0—–
    burn it

• The_Judge37

severeraiderz Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:36 pm
    ——

Exactly. Vicks offense came from when he was able to make something happen on broken plays. Kinda Like how we were at our best in the no huddle.

• Raidernationdave

Lowlife pothead, stoner! Didn’t even share. Tool.

++++++++++++

Raider O Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    What did I miss? Had to go get some trees (banana Kush).

• Paul8148

Not suprise with Cheif taking Fisher over Jockel. He is alittle bettern in getting outside in the screen game and runs with James

• Raidernationdave

Who’s cheif?

• http://microwave_economics 909RaiderLifer

realtruraider Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:30 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    AL would pick Ansah

————————————-

And it wouldn’t be considered a bad pick or a reach so………………….

“““““““““““““““““““““““““““, Al probably woulda traded UP to Jax to make sure he got Ziggy……

• 1960AutumnWind

OK guys

Knapp had top ten offenses while he was coordinator. He had somehting like 6-7 seasons as a coordinator. He was even asked to be head coach here in Oakland but turned it down before Cable became the coach. Still in the league at Houston as QB Coach and I think assistant HC when we hired him.

Compare this to someone truely unqualified:

Walsh was OC I think when we had Bo Jackson. It was not hard to create offense. Hand off to Bo or do play action and have wide open recievers. After that he was in College football and I think ran Idaho State into the ground. So bad he bought a bed and breakfast and was out of the football altogheter for several years. What does Shell do? hire him!!!

That is the comparison between qualified and unqualified.

And Steve Raider also remember that Vick in those days sucked as a passer and Knapp had to work around all that. Once again I did not want the Raiders to hire Knapp but defending RM and DA on the charge that they hired someone “unqualified”

• Marks hair

true. green crack is a great strain.. haven’t been able to find it for awhile. I had one plant of the stuff but it got sick and had a low yield..

• Raidernationdave

Fairly presumptuous.

++++++++++++++

Marks Hair Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    AL would pick Ansah

• 1960AutumnWind

Al probably woulda traded UP to Jax to make sure he got Ziggy……

*************************
    Al would have given up the pick for Revis and paid him 16 million a year with at least 35 million gaurnteed and backloaded all he could.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 6m

@MikeSilver I doubt anyone had a better pre-draft lunch than @victafur and I. pic.twitter.com/d6UaaM7Cp9 — Cute couple. Where’s Hubert?
    ==================================================

You don’t really want to see the picture.

• TxRaider210

Damn bro, you’re beyond my pay grade, all I know is how to burn the stuff…only see the green crack rarely in TX too.

• DKnight007

Fisher has more of mean streak also than Joekel

• The_Judge37

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 2:43 pm
    OK guys

Compare this to someone truely unqualified:

That is the comparison between qualified and unqualified.

——

That entire poor rationalization is exactly what worries me about Reggie and DA. If they think that qualifies as good enough to be in charge of a major part of the team, then it’s huge Red Flag, and in no way allows me to have any faith/trust in who they hire as a replacement.