Raiders draft cornerback D.J. Hayden

The Raiders selected Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden Thursday night with their first choice in the NFL draft, No. 12 overall.

Hayden nearly lost his life in a freak injury during practice last Nov. 6. Kneed in the chest, Hayden, sustained a tear of his inferior vena cava, the large vein that carries blood from the lower half of the body to the heart.

“I’m looking around and I’m getting real sleepy,’’ Hayden told reporters at the NFL scouting combine. “My left eye goes pitch black. I can’t see out of it . . . I’m praying, `Lord, help me get out of this one.’ ‘’

“The doctor said he was going to have to cut me open. I said, ‘Okay, just don’t mess my abs up.’ . . . they saw the vein was torn. They stitched it back together and here I am today.’’

Surgeons at the Memorial Hermann Texas Trauma Center saved Hayden’s life. The injury is said to have a 95 percent fatality rate.

Hayden didn’t work out at the scouting combine, but was able to work out for scouts, get cleared medically and clock a 4.33 time in the 40-yard dash.

Before the injury, Hayden was considered the top cornerback in the country. His performance in offseason workouts caused his stock to steadily grow, and CBSSports.com reported the Raiders were even considering Hayden at No. 3.

Hayden was the Conference USA Defensive Newcomer of the Year in 2011. He had six interceptions in 23 games for Houston, returning two for touchdowns.

One of the weakest units on the Raiders last season, the Raiders now have Hayden and free agent acquisitions Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins at cornerback.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• EMRaiders

We will pick our DT in the second round guys.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

dr_robert Says:
    uh, he made that prediction AFTER the news came earlier today.
    ==========================================
    really?irjonny Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    Jackasspuria — (trade) D.J. Hayden

• IGAG

Just ate at dennys. What a gut bomb. Shoulda ate at IHOP since I’m allowed back in. Fcking blew it.

• RaidingTexas

John David Booty Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    Clowneys gonna look good in Silver & Black.

————————————–

Well if that was the plan all along – clown for Clowney – I guess I’m OK with this.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Congratulations, Jackass. ;-)

• The_Judge37

296.Snakeinthegrass12 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    would all of you who are ripping the Hayden pick because of his injury have liked it better if we took Star and his heart condition instead? or what about if we took the other “best corner” Milliner and his 4 major surgeries…all picks are a risk…this guys got big time talent, lets let him play before we crucify him.
    ——–

• rediaR

EMRaiders Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    We will pick our DT in the second round guys.
    ———————–
    We have our DTs.

• J Hill

ok, Thec.

What about this DE that O has been pumping up?

• da trinity

I’m cool with the pick, I wish we would have got a 5th from dolphins in that trade though

• John David Booty

How valuable are CBs? Not enough for the Jets to wanna pay the best one in the game to stay. Just like Al didnt think the best in the game was worth paying. Juts like Washington didnt think Champ was worth keeping. Deion? On and on. Corners are only as valuable as the D-Line allows them to be.

Star impacts more games for Carolina next year than Hayden does. True or false?

CB was a horrible pick for us in that position, no matter WHO the guy was.

• Mahlhavoc

RaiderFan-n-KC Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

How can you like a player that took a regular hit and his heart exploded?
    ————

The same way some fans were ga-ga over Star’s heart condition

————

KC Raiders fan, I just moved from Blue Springs to Springfield… Howdy neighbor! Oh, and F*&% the Chefs!

(Was born at Alameda County Hospital and raised in East Bay though)

• dr_robert

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    uh, he made that prediction AFTER the news came earlier today.
    ==========================================
    really?irjonny Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    Jackasspuria — (trade) D.J. Hayden

*********

after the rumor

• Thec

I have to trust the ORG… With this being a deep draft , we will get some TRENCHMEN

• J Hill

Barkley in rd 2?????

• nycraider

is anyone disappointed that the rams gave up more to draft 8 then the dolphins did to draft 3rd

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Dr nimbulb
    dr_robert Says:
    uh, he made that prediction AFTER the news came earlier today.
    ==========================================
    really?irjonny Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    Jackasspuria — (trade) D.J. Hayden

• rediaR

I’m just rooting for Tank to fall.

• dr_robert

RaidingTexas Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

watch how much better the pass rush is with good corners.

———————————————

It usually works the other way around. Great pass rush takes heat off corners.

*********

ever heard of coverage sacks?

when a qb has to start looking around, the rush gets heavy.

• 00tt00

Reggie has been on the losing end of every trade he engineered so far

• The_Judge37

FIRE REGGIE NOW

FML!

• beach

Lester Hayes was awesome.

• EMRaiders

RediaR Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    EMRaiders Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    We will pick our DT in the second round guys.
    ———————–
    We have our DTs.

============

I know, but we will get one more anyway.

I think it will be DT or OT.

• Thec

J Hill Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    ok, Thec.

What about this DE that O has been pumping up?

++++++++=

We got so many holes, you or eye could probably step in…lol

I am for the TRECNHMEN…Build up both sides = a winner, IMHO

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

L.S.D kicking in just talked to AL said great pick told Reggie to pull the trigger

• memo

The_Judge37 Says: Star’s a Fat man, they have artery problems. Hayden broke up a pass and his chest exploded

Hahaha! Post of the night

• rediaR

Nycraider Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:24 pm
    ——————–
    They didn’t.

They gave up a 2nd to move up in the 1st and a 7th to move up in the 3rd.

Pretty much the same.

• dr_robert

teo goes to the bears here.

or eifert.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

“Barkley in rd 2?????”

LMAO

That would be about on par

• IGAG

Floyd at 42? Teo? Just sayin.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

IGAG Says:
    ================================================

You are not!

• r8eray

J Hill Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    Barkley in rd 2?????

=======

I’m gonna fukin puke!!!!

• Que

Funny how some people act like its all over and we have HOW many picks and Reggie might get more

• EMRaiders

DT, OT or Barkley.

• nycraider

hope reggie gets a pass rusher in round 2

• Thec

J Hill Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    Barkley in rd 2?????

+++++++

H no….Tank Carradine 10th pick tommorrow…

Will bet money we go DTRENCH

• RAIDERMAN99

Charlie’s head must have exploded when RAIDS took Hayden.

• SnBG

I’m not thrilled but Reg does realize this is a passing league and he did draft for Defense. I’m happy enough

• jackasspuria

Went to iHop and guess who was in the booth next to mine!?

No, it was not Reggie McKenzie.

It was Bills general manager Buddy Nix sitting at the table REACHING for his maple syrup.

Bills make surprise pick making EJ Manuel 1st QB off the board.

Guess Doug Marrone has little to no say on the roster. No way he would choose Manuel over his personally groomed Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib…

• rediaR

00tt00 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:25 pm
    Reggie has been on the losing end of every trade he engineered so far
    —————————
    Nope.

• ElkGRaider

John David Booty Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    =======

Uh…Bucs gave up a 1st rounder and more for a CB coming off a major ACL injury. How is that NOT valuable?

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

“Reggie has been on the losing end of every trade he engineered so far”

I thought I was teh only person who said that or felt that way…..I was begining to think I was crazy, thanks.

• dr_robert

Hayden’s 40-yard dash was a scorching 4.33 seconds.

• Al_is_theraiders

CBS define a defense…

• The_Judge37

I’m going to go drink heavily. No Green party tonight, I forcast heavy “snow” tonight in Los Angeles. Good night everybody

• ron69

Wr’s are falling, maybe Keenan Allen or Robert Woods in 2nd round?

• rediaR

It’s a passing league. CBs and pass rushers are very valuable.

• dr_robert

He was also measured at 33 ½-inches in the vertical jump and had a 10-foot broad jump.

al davis would love hayden.

• Raider Mayne

Hayden has not taken a hit since the accident . Hope this dude wears a bullet proof vest or that Iron Man reactor sh!t around his chest …

• R8RNAZ

wow talk about a reach

• Mahlhavoc

Ok, the big wasnt flashy or DL, but definatly a position we needed and hes been called the BPA at our slot too. Not bad…
    NOW GET US SOME TRENCH LOVE!